(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Met the teachers today, and was told that it is normal to see the dip from p4 to P5. The P5 papers are geared towards PSLE and therefore we have to get mentally prepared. As this is the first time (since we do not have CA1), kids are taking PSLE format, hence they will have problem dealing with time management and paper format, the teachers said they will be giving them more of such exam practices in next term, so generally the trend of SA2 is that results will be better compared to SA1. They even told us not to be too hard on the kids if they do not do perform well.

I asked the teacher if they are using onsponge and surprisingly they said they have not heard of it..I told them I know some schools are using it but maybe on selective basis.

Anyone knows which assessment is good for English compre and vocab practice?

avrilf

Why the decision to switch out from MS Science?
Which new center did you switch him to?

I agreed, time not enough considering the amount of materials to cover. I doubt my dd will have time to revisit previous year materials after she spend considerable time on all those newly bought assessment books

Avrilf,
My boy scored 16/20 for chinese listening compre, we were shocked. We neglected this area and didn't know he will lose marks as this should be easiest to score. Guess I was wrong.

Bebe,
Maybe you can get your girl to pick out the vocabulary assessment book. I couldn't decide, so got son to pick out based on what he felt wasn't too tough nor easy. Did some last december holidays, and since left untouched. Will dust the cob web off this june.
We are using eph challengmg grammar and vocabulary mcq.

Mummies,
Any situational writing book to recommend? Thanks.

Hi

Anyone tried Stalford learning centre for English? Seems not popular, hardly any review online. There is a branch near my place though

FZ - I think my gal's school has high standard for English..I am currently using Just assessment for P6 and my gal managed to do well for the assessment..but comes to exam..her result is always between 60-65, very hard to hit the 7X range.
My girl also does not know how to "decode" the word..hiaz..words like "sobriety", she knows "sober" but does not know how to "associate" them. Another example is "gaiety" and "gay" - she knows "gay" means happy but dunno "gaiety" is the noun version..

She is fairly okay with Grammar just have to be careful when doing her Trans & Syn..their teachers are very strict..cannot have punctuation, grammar or spelling mistakes..When I mark, I actually will deduct 1/2 marks for such mistakes..but teachers said they will deduct 1 mark. I guess for Trans & Syn..I have to get her to practise and practise..

The teacher recommend us to get the 10 years series for PSLE..she said it is good to expose them early to the format and also the types of PSLE questions.

bebe

You continuing with MS while searching for another English tutor?

I just realized it's not that easy to change center either. If sign up with a new center, besides paying deposit and registration fees, 1st month fees etc, still can't withdraw from MS immediately.
Need some time to monitor new center. Even if decided new center better, still need to serve notice at MS. Aiyo, like that means attending classes at 2 centers concurrently for at least 3 to 4 months, very time consuming

After considering the above, I asked dd to attempt assessment books instead.

Hi Yawn Yawn

Yes..but I guess it will take a while for me to get the tutor in..
and I also face the same difficulty in finding alternate centers. As of now, MS is the better than nothing. Told my girl that while I can help her on Trans & Syn + compre using assessment books, she has to help herself on vocab and compo as these 2 component require reading..

Bebe,
Will creative writing class helps on compo?

I asked my son school teacher if she can help mark my son compo if he does extra compo at home. She said will only read and verbal feedback, no detailed marking.

Yawnyawn,
Sometimes when we find a new centre and really happy with it, no longer have the interest to go for the last few lessons at the old centre. I find that getting suitable slots for new centres is more challenging than having to attend two centres during the overlap months.

bebe
Indeed, MS is still better than nothing. Until we can find something better, got to hang on to MS

fz
After I made the decision not to do 2 centers concurrently, I actually received feedback from a student of that new center I shortlisted.
Luckily never sign up otherwise stuck for at least 2 months!

Mummies

Have you started intensive revision this holiday?

I am undecided whether to beef up revision or let us relax as come december holidays will no longer be a real holiday for our children.

My boy is still doing his school holiday homework!

Yawn Yawn: My son is still with MS. He only changed center cos the new one is following his school syllabus. The center only realized which sch he is in when he went to class one day straight after CCA.

I asked him to compare which is better. He said the new one is much better cos the tutor will elaborate more than what is stated on the notes.

fz: According to his Chinese tutor, listening comprehension is getting harder to score. Thus we must be prepared.

I did not make it as an intensive revision. He does 1 exercise/topic a day. I rotate the subjects on daily basis as I do not want to stress him too much before Dec.

fz

Still need to do projects and assignments over holiday. On top of that 'wasted' 2 weeks because need return to school for supplementary classes/remedial in the morning. Seems very little time left to do any revision.

I hope my newly acquired stack of assessment books won't become white elephants

avrilf

Oh I see. Didn't realize MS got different syllabus for different center. Was told same worksheets across island

Current Science class is full, so many students. Some topics covered in school are yet to be covered in MS

Yawn Yawn: Sorry for confusing for you. The notes are the same. Just that this center does not teach on the same topic as other MS centers. They follow his school. That is why the class only takes in students from the school.So that they can be on the same page.

FZ

I find it hard to start revision as my gal has to go back to school this week..since there is no sch bus, I have to send and fetch her..very tiring. And she still has tuition to attend.
Probably next week I will start revising - prob half of the day doing assessment, the other half, she can have her R&R. We will be going for holiday on the 3rd week..effectively not much time left..
Today we were out the whole day, and the kids really enjoy the day..frankly speaking..I hate to spoil the holiday with those revision..hiaz..I dread next year when we have to do PSLE..

Hi all
I just came back from a 1-week holiday. This week likely to be R&R for the kids but their tuition will commence so hopefully will keep some momentum going. If I'm the only one giving them or marking homework surely I will end up not doing anything so better outsource.

Yawn,
My kids are in learning lab for English only. I started them mid last year. As it is so expensive, cannot afford to send both of them for all 3 subjects. I did see improvement for especially ds. He used to score 80+ for English in the past but after attending LL for 1yr, the recent SA1 he scored 90+. Hopefully the standard will maintain.

Halo mummies,

How's your effort in getting your kids to revise their work so far? Mine is an uphill task coz both mother and kids are in holiday mood ...jialat....

Mine managed to do 5B visible math. I gave him three days, no need to do all questions, but need to mark his own answers. He spent full three days on it. Then rest of the week tuition homework and rest.
Scheduled to complete one science topic
prelearning next week and reading of guide book for lower block.

He still has two school projects and one cca project that he is reluctant to start. He needs to write a learning journal of a new skill he picked up this holiday, and intend to write about some simple programming he learnt from my brother.need to do presentation slides too. The other one is to write a story about recycling and illustrate it, suitable for preschoolers. All time consuming.

Nothing much on chinese and english revision except for weekly tuition homework.

avril,
My gal completed her holiday hmwk on the last day of school..... so that she can play for the rest of the holidays....sigh, sigh...She also has projects but can't be bothered. I beta buck up myself for the next 2 weeks, so that I can push her along...

fz,
My gal's 5A visible math is still untouched, let alone 5B...you boy is very disciplined to do 5B.

oh my, last week of school holiday!

For Maths, my dd managed to touch on every topic, briefly. Not possible to complete every questions in assessment books but only attempt a couple of questions in each unit. At least know a bit of everything lor but yet to go indepth. aiya 好过没有 lah, need adjust my expectation.

My girl most nua. Before holiday they were told to finish all HW.

We went to Japan and back all engine went rusty. So I got lots of catch up to do this month and next.

want to ask, if sch programme and tuition timing clash, will you skip tuition or sch programme.
some science olympiad training clash with EL tuition.

like every month sure have some sch stuff clash with saturday morning tuition! this week, even the make up class session clash with adhoc extra sch programmes.

fz

depends. if ad hoc competition representing school, then of course will opt for competition
if regular training in school, then I will switch tuition timing or opt out of school programme if not essential ones

Thanks yawnyawn,
Managed to arrange Mslc make up for next week lesson.
Today lesson got to miss as son prefers to go science training. I didn't arrange make up for this week lesson as the make up class clash with anotherpschool activity.

Going to go down to collect his homework from the centre later on.
Month of august and september also one saturday has school programme. Hope mslc don't black list me!

I gave up having make up lessons with mindstretcher as it is very difficult to find timing that is accommodating. I usually get the kids to ask for the material and let the teachers mark them when completed.

We also let our engine turn rusty after our trip. Last week was first week of the term3, they did not get to do much either. This week I will hv to start the engine going. Come to think of it..next year this time, they should be busy preparing their prelim...scary thoughts...

bebe

my dd's engine forever rusty. On sat I asked her to complete her Chinese tuition homework. She walk in and out, idle, from 5pm to 9pm still incomplete. Fine, I told her must finish by morning since her Chinese tuition in the afternoon. After lunch, I found out her homework still incomplete. only copy 1 page 4 hours on Sat + 3.5 hours on Sun = 7.5 hours yet couldn't finish one compo correction! I blew my top!

Bebe,
The mslc teacher will mark the work, but because they go through in class, if he missed them, he won't get the correct answers copied in and has to find other time in between lessons to go copy those answers. His teacher only mark with crosses and ticks. No correct answer written.

Yawn yawn,
My boy also take ages to complete his chinese compo! I can understand your frustrations!

Hello mummies,

When is your P5 kid scheduled to watch the NDP rehearsal? Mine going on 13/7. I heard reaching school at 9.30pm is the earliest, latest can be 11pm plus....long day for the kids.

cookiepie,
My gal also going NDP rehearsal this sat. The timing is not that bad, reach school by 2.30pm. I got to reschedule her LL English class because of that.

FZ - my gals' MSLC will mark, but let me ask them how they copy the correct answers..probably borrow the worksheets from the fellow tuition mates.

My gals' school did not arrange them to go and attend the NDP rehearsal..not sure if this is good or bad..haha..good cos I no need to headache of transportation and missed classes. Bad is cos she will not get to experience the NDP celebration. Attending the events sure beat watching live telecast from TV at home

MD,
My gal needs to reach school by 3.30pm and for going home part, parents to fetch them from school aftr 9.30pm.

Chicken Little,
I wonder how many rehearsals they have to cater for all the P5s this year. I heard their dinner will be mac...my gal thot it's kfc 8-P

bebe75,
I thot it is compulsory for all P5s to attend as part of national education?

cookiepie,
i think NDP is KFC meal.
my boy also going next week. already cancelled his home tuition.

the colour code of the t shirt is red. just nice his P5 camp TShirt is also red. so i guess majority of the schoolmates will wear the camp tshirt.

mummies,
RE Sec sch
have u all spoken to yourkids on the choices? have your kids spoken to their friends about it? cant believe our kids going P6 next year!
is IP a preferred choice? how we know if kids can cope?
between our choice of Indepdent sch commute time of 30-40min vs Govt sch commute time 40-50min, which to choose?
between our choice of Indpt sch olevel with affiliation to JC commute time 30-40min vs govt sch o lvel, no affiliation to JC commute time 10min, which to choose?

haiz...

bebe75, there are 3 previews altogether so maybe you gal's school is arranged for the next 2 Saturdays.

Mine is going tomorrow, red T also, didn't know they will provide dinner... only told us to let her have a full lunch and do not bring bag except water bottle.

Valerie - Yes, you are right. my gal is going on the 20 Jul..only get to receive the letter ytdy. The letter told us to prepare dinner..if KFC meal, I have to prepare extra food for her as she does not like KFC. But if it is Mac...no problem she will gobble it down.

Luckily her tuitions are done by 1pm..so we will not have to do any make up lessons. But I told her she will have to hurry up and finish her lunch so that I can send her to school in time..As it will be a long day, I want her to sleep earlier a day before..Told her to take pics as well..probably need to do some reflections or journal reporting after the trip..haha

Sec School
We just briefly discussed, told her that her affiliated sec school is definitely not my first choice..though people might said if it is wasted as I will also forego the cut off points for affiliated JC entry. I actually think that she is not the academic kind so A level might not work for her. I rather her get a Diploma in a course which she is keen. Perhaps something to do with graphic design or animation.

fz, my dd left the choice to me. She 大事 always 没意见 or probably dare not make huge decision because she knows I will agree but she has to bear consequences for her choice
but come to 小事 or bo liao stuff she will 意见多多 always fight till she wins ROFL
I ask her next time she expect me to pick her husband isit? big decision mah

?! Maybe different school different practice??
Son said he was briefed that dinner will be packet rice and to wear anything red can already. I better check with him again.

CL,
My gal commented that one of the school students came to ndp rehearsal with school printed tees. So it's your gal's school. My gal's school was the last to leave the place, so by the time she reached home, it was closed to 11.20pm!!!!

fz,
Did you boy get packet rice? Mine was soggy mac chicken plus 4 pieces of nuggets. Seems like diff schools got different dinner suppliers....

RE: Sec School
My first criteria is school should not be too far from home by bus/train.

hihi mummies, been a long time did not come into this chatroom.
happy.gif

For NDP my kid will be going on the last preview. Did you pay for this trip? For my kid's school, need to pay
sad.gif

Natellehcim - mine do not need to pay for transport..how come your kid's school need?

Cookiepie - 1120pm??!! Hope mine will not be so late, she has tuition next day morning.

My girl wore red T and PE shorts seated in the blue section, ate KFC for dinner and only reached school around 10.45 pm. Although the school said to expect them at 9.30pm.

Bebe75, its good to let your girl carry a handphone, so that she can take pic and update you on her eta in school.

My girl seem to enjoy the NE although she doesn't like fireworks (scared of the loud sound).

The fun pack bag is white in colour which was almost black when she brought it home, its quite silly to have the bag in white as people will tend to leave it on the floor.

Sec School : Anyone heard of Crescent Girls near Alexandra Road. Is it good. Any idea, how do I check the school out.

Thanks.

Nat, your boy's school have shifted back to their original location. Its so new now.

We did not pay for anything too. The school shouldn't make the parent pay for transportation.

My boy going coming saturday.
We paid for the event too.maybe because is government aided school? Not fullyovernment school.

Bebe
Mine also tuition the following morning.

Valerie
Heard that crescent girls is good.when I was schooling at cedar girls,the teachers always compared us to CGS. Lol.

cookipie,
was yours last ? My girl called me at 20:50 to say they finally called to be released. They dismissed by school. Long walk and 21:20 still say waiting for bus. Finally came back 10:45.

Valerie
Ya,so disappointed that the bag not so nice. haha. And their teacher even asked them to use marker to write their names so it is not mixed up.

Nat
We did not pay for the bus too.

FZ
ya possible. My niece from CCK Pri 2 years back , school catered Kueh. she says so xian because most eating KFC.

I don't mind no kfc. Kfc too heaty.
Son is concerned about msg in packet food as he is allergic. Told him should be ok as caterer should know these are for students.
Hoping for good weather.
Dismissal expected at 10-1030pm.

Back