(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Yes, I told her to bring her HP. Her school said they will sms the parents for pick up time as they have arranged staggered timing for the dismissal. As the pick up at the current holding school is quite small, I also scare go too early, cannot park go too late, cannot enter.
I have planned to let her pack sushi for dinner...I also dun mind no KFC or Mac..haha..

hi mummies, ya most schools need not have to pay for NDP trips. I do notice mine the school have been printing tshirts just for this NDP thingy, probably that was why need to pay ba. As for timing, no advice at the moment, not sure when need to report and return. Ya this year the goodie bag seems not so nice le :p I love to attend the NDP myself too... is the feel of being proud to be a Singaporeans whenever I attended NDP. But too bad, never have the luck for the ballot. heehee...

Hi Valerie, yes shifted back liao. So much more convenient liao since is just stone-throw away. hahah... save a lot on transportation time. the Rebuilt is bigger and brighter, nice environment but within the premises still couple of things not done up yet, due to earlier shifted in. Need to return the old site for the new school.

FZ,
Can check with you how is Cedar Girls? Any idea what is the cut-off? Cedar has integrated programme now. I asked dd to consider Cedar or Dunman, provided she can get at least 260.

MD
Not sure about cedar cut off points, I think over 250.
My experience will be so long ago!
Lol. But girls school really is girls do everything.no restrictions on behaviour!Lol. Spirits very high during interschool sports meet with all the cheering and stuff.
I was not a high flyer. So pass school days in a blur.
I was the minority who went to poly with 13 points.Mmost people go to AJ or VJ back then. Those I still in contact, now are teachers, accountants.

Sorry cant help much I think.

The school uniform is quite smart.

my days I short of 1 pt to enter Cedar Girls, even my 6 yrs with Cedar Pri do not have any affiliation to enter. Did not try to appeal though.
sad.gif

I guess nowadays most IP schools are 250 above bah.

Nat,
I kelong one. My score was under 240, yet I managed to enter!
Last time system we choose schools before results out. So my teacher chose for me. My parents chose a neighbourhood school. I thought I not able to make the cut, so just put.

Almost died of fright when the school posting was out! Got scolded lor.

After my year, the cop went up again.

O ya hor, last time we chose the school before the results..almost forgot about this.

My dad and aunt chose my secondary school..I did not have a clue where to go then..I remember many of my classmates chose Dunman High, and TKGS..and my dad did not want me go that far, he said Katong always flood.

And ya..most of the Cedar girls ended in VJ and AJ. They were quite popular with boys, as in they are smart (not too nerd or ya ya papaya) and yet fun and spontaneous (not over daring). I rem their uniform was voted one of the best, A lined grey skirt with blue blouse..like office lady. Mine was pleated white skirt...makes our hip and bottom looks so wide..worse still I had to wear extra slip skirt and PE short underneath for protection..so ugly. Was so happy that I get to wear A lined skirt in JC

Maisydaisy
keke I am a dumanian. But super super not happy in school because stress. Only enjoyed my time on basketball court. So I refused to go TJ and VJ so in the end chose TPJC nearest to home. Happily taking commerce back then.

FZ,
haha that time my parents die die chose dunman for me because my cousin is in there liao. Went into special stream so got second chance to choose after result but chey, my parents still chose Dunman. I dunno anyone at all when I first stepped in since most of my frens just continue to NYGH.

NYGH is raising their affliation cut off to 255. double sigh for my girl. But of course if her result is like 250 - 255, I probably wont send her into NYGH to be cushioned at the bottom. Girls scoring above 260 are struggling in there.

bebe75,
pleated skirt very difficult to iron! lol.

ah...those were the days....i only remembered CCA time. hardly remember studying or cramming for exams (except history and home econs! i remembered burning mid night oil the night before...that was when i only started studying for tests!).

Chicken Little,
my parents chose a walking distance neighbourhood sch for me..same as my elder siblings. i am certain i wont be the same as i am now if i had went on to a mix sch. ;) my dad used to say my siblings sec sch so smooth sailing, but mine always have all sorts of 'nonsense' like overseas exchange trip, CCA camping, source for strange materials for Art class etc. lol.

so, not surprisingly at the end of Olevel, the pressure (from family) was there for me to opt for Poly...which i eventually did.

NYGH COP for affiliated is quite high. but having said (not wanting your girls to be cushioned at bottom), many parents also opt to appeal if miss by COP.

i have not very good feel of my boy's calibre, but certainly know that RI and HCI is out. he is affiliated to SJI, so i feel a bit of a betrayal act to opt for ACS (sorry). lol. VS is 'brother school' to cedar (lol) and i am inclined towards VS, but it is at the other end of the island from where we stay. lol.

Chua,
Wow. Congrats your boy cleared first round.
Mine did the science instead of math because he did poor for CA1 math and we refuse to let him join MO so as to focus on syllabus math.

Fz,
Actually he did badly for the preliminary round and we are surprised that he has been selected for the special round. The paper is tricky and some questions are out of the box. Anyway, I told him that it is alright if he did not make it. The motive is to let him explore on the different Olympiad questions.

Congrats Yen Ling,
Mine went for both but not selected for their 1st round. Actually I also don't know what is going on for such contests. *_*

Think only 1 from his school got selected for the 1st round.

fz

congrats!

My dd went for 1st round, didn't make it to practical round though, sadly

how did your ds prepare for 1st round?

no training in her school either. teacher said self study, faint!

CL - I stayed in TPJC for the first 3 months..and it was all play and no work...I played truant almost daily..haha..skipped my commerce lecture and attended Science lecture..wanted to do Science but did not know why I chose Commerce..probably at that time TPJC was well known for Commerce so I just joined the flow..I remember at that time my accounting tutor was very mad at me. When I got my O level results, I decided to leave TP and went for VJ instead. I needed the discipline..and true enough VJ was a pressure cooker. Being the 2nd intake, and so called 2nd class student (Commerce students were lowly rated - Science and Arts students were the prized stream. In fact we were the last few batches of commerce students), we had to work really hard on our own. I remember opting History as my Humanities subject as I did not like Econ. I had to attend History lecture with the Arts student and I felt like outcast. Soon, I dropped out from History as I felt the tutors/lecturers were biased against the Commerce student. Frankly speaking, I felt happier in TPJC.

FZ - congrats!! My gal's school does not even arrange MOT or SPSO courses. I wanted to send #2 to the MOT center near by place but she refused..saying no points, waste time..hiaz..to sum up, she is very lazy. And hubby also not supportive..

Yes, in GEP school, MOT courses are included in their curriculum. According to my fren whose kid is in GEP class, attendance is compulsory. They will also include kids from the HA class. That is why the winners are mostly from GEP schools.

I was talking to hubby about PSLE/secondary school..and we could not believe that time passes so fast..seemed like we were just discussing about P1 enrolment not too long ago..

Hi bebe75, I was in Pre-U for 1st 3 mth but was on holiday mood till O level results out. Ended up did not catch back the discipline when entered JC during the 2nd intake, thus flung the 1st yr. :p

For my ds sch, the HA class students were selected for participating in the MO and Sci Olympiad. My ds did not make it for both in the 1st round, only 1 student got through the 1st round for each. DS was nagging "We are competing with the GEP kids you know? How to win?" haha... My ds even met his ex-classmate who went to GEP sch in P4. They were happy to catch up with old friends.

Natellehcim - The lecture/ tutorial system after O level really require disciplines hor..For me, the temptation to skip classes and stay defiant only started after O level..I was quite a goody and nerdy girl during my primary and secondary school days..haha..

Any of yr kids having CA2?

bebe75
Indeed I enjoyed my TPJC years very much. I am so glad I did not opt for VJ or TJ. I am sick and tired of rat race. Plus point, was staying in tampines in front of century sq. wake late everyday, dad dropped me off daily.

ya bebe75, I was very goody nerdy too when pri and sec. Only started to become defiant after that, especially the 1st 3 mth. thus very difficult to have back the discipline till I flung the Promo test. :p

My kids are having CA2.

CL - I used to stay right in front of TPJC. I always skip the morning assembly. My mum asked me how come no need to go and sing "Mari-kita"..haha..I told her first 3 months no need..I would head straight to Canteen in the morning to discuss with my friend which lectures and tutorial to skip..and where to hang out (usually Changi Airport)
VJC is really different..my dad drove me so I reached school before 7am, and most students would gather at the concourse to discuss tutorials or mug for tests..so I was being forced to do the same..

Nat - I could not afford to flung Yr 1, cos we were considered the last few batches for commerce stream, if I failed Year 1, they would have to transfer me out..so die die must pass..haha

thanks bebe and yenling.

he should be starting prac test now. we tried to get info from the external vendor trainer but the trainer is also clueless. i told him he has experience baking a simple cupcake recipe so should know how to use basic measurement tools and follow simple instructions! lol.

RE JC
i couldnt survive the 3 months in NYJC. so envious of those who skipped lectures and still can cope with homework. i couldn't understand the math in JC and it was uncool to want to sit near to the board...majority of students preferred to choose seats near the back of the lecture hall or class, which i did not like. felt kind of left out. found a bunch of good friends on the first day i started Poly - we are still in contact now.
happy.gif
i guess Poly route is where i truly belong and wont choose JC if given the chance again.

nat,
i was also very goody nerdy kind of student! lol.

Hmm...still getting use to this forum's new look. Seems like school just re-open but I have already received my gal's ca2 timetable on friday ...no end to all these exams..... by the way, this is cookiepie reporting!

hi cookiepie
no exact ca dates yet but roughly know the week
am syre no time to revise.
math, el n cl has weekly tuition, so leaser concern
will need to push him to start science revision
there is no science topical test ta all this term
this week he needs to stay back four days, one til 7pm for tuirion make up n one 630 for learning journey, then 5pm for cca n debate training. only free day he has home tuition
busy. :confused:

I also did not know about the new look..until now.
Quite refreshing but now all the members' status are considered "New member" right? So I think all the comments and reviews here I have to take them as pinch of salt..wont be able to tell if the reviewers are genuine unless I know the poster well..:p

I did not realized that I need to re login again and I always thought there is error on the web page until I read the error message.

Hmm...I can still identify the mummies here by your nicks ... mine change totally.... cookiepie here. My gals' school is closed for the psle oral, so I need to take leave to be at home with them.

thanks nat! phew...can at least practice for science.
nowadays hardly have time for revision, so son gets his weekly practices from tuition. but he does not have science tuition, so come exams, we have to set aside some time to revise science.

any one tired MSLC science high achiever? i just want a programme to give my boy constant practice and answering techniques.

cookiepie,
maybe u can add in a signature below ("i am cookiepie") or upload a cookie avatar... :)

thanks nat! phew...can at least practice for science.
nowadays hardly have time for revision, so son gets his weekly practices from tuition. but he does not have science tuition, so come exams, we have to set aside some time to revise science.

any one tired MSLC science high achiever? i just want a programme to give my boy constant practice and answering techniques.

cookiepie,
maybe u can add in a signature below ("i am cookiepie") or upload a cookie avatar... :)

same here, my ds also no science tuition, although he had requested for one. Reason is his school syllabus is quite different from other schools, thus going to those tuition center defeat the purpose for tuition. The topics the center teaches sometimes does not apply to his schools, some not even taught or tested. So no choice, get him guidebooks and ask him to read up himself.

come to think of it, wow... we are in this forum for many years liao hor? hahah... soon we are upgraded to secondary sch kids mum.. :p

I am also trying to catch up on Science and Chinese...no CA2 for my kids but they will be given revision test instead (not counted towards SA2)..
I just got a new English home tutor for my gal..but again..I got a feeling that she is not committed...hiaz..MC 3 times since we started in Jul..thus I still cannot withdraw my gal from her English class in tuition center..if this one tutor again "fly me aeroplace".. I doubt I will get a replacement..given that the SA2 is drawing near..time is running out for us..

Natellehcim - my gal told me that the Science tuition center is revising the lower block topics with them..so I think if your son wants to join tuition center, most likely they will also be covering the P3/P4 topics..shd not be a major issues by now.

Yes..our kids are now Tweens..no longer little kids..can;t bring myself to be a mum of secondary sch kid so soon...haha

After hearing the PM's speech yesterday about psle, I had mixed feelings. Do you think our p5s will be impacted since he said the changes will be implemeted over a few years?

The broader banding doesn't mean lesser competition... I can't help wondering about an extreme case: if a secondary school has 300 sec1 vacanies and received more than 300 applications from students, all with 4A*. Then how does the school determine who are the "lucky 300"?

I doubt our 2002 kids will be affected..2003 kids already have their English papers change..so I do not know if they will also be implementing the change to 2003 batch. Actually I am a bit disappointed with the speech..I was hoping that they will at least acknowledge the gap between the school text books and the actual PSLE papers..
Broad banding has its risk as well..just like A level results..no one knows if getting 2A 2C is better than 3B 1A? I do not wish to waste my first choice for guessing. Also, the flaw with T score is mainly in Mother tongue...perhaps they should remove MT from the score and include it as a bonus thing on top of the other 3 common subjects...

I have mixed feelings about the PSLE announcement. I don't want it to affect our P5 kids. but I am open to it being implemented for my second boy who is only in Primary 1. My boy watched the Rally summary on the news last night and he went *gasp*....he prefers the old system whereby every effort put in translates to every mark earned and not be caught by being in the top end of a banded grade ie one marks short to get the next grade. we hope that they will not use CCAs involvement when two kids share the same aggregate score - it is too late to do any adjustment for our upper primary kids. and that adds on the already stress P5-P6 journey.

I have mixed feelings with the new announcement in the rally too....

I find that the competition is endless. Soon you will see parents getting their kids to be involved in more CCAs, so as to gain better chances of entering a school compared to another child with the same grades. When they started implementing DSA, many parents already getting their kids into many other activities besides the studies, or choosing CCAs that has an advantage for the DSA scheme. Therefore I would say all these stress that the parents are crying about saying no good for the kids ultimately also comes from many KS parents. Don't you think so? I personally think that the rat-race also somehow caused by these.

I have mixed feelings with the new announcement in the rally too....

I find that the competition is endless. Soon you will see parents getting their kids to be involved in more CCAs, so as to gain better chances of entering a school compared to another child with the same grades. When they started implementing DSA, many parents already getting their kids into many other activities besides the studies, or choosing CCAs that has an advantage for the DSA scheme. Therefore I would say all these stress that the parents are crying about saying no good for the kids ultimately also comes from many KS parents. Don't you think so? I personally think that the rat-race also somehow caused by these.

Agreed. actually every year in P6, each track and field event will have heats with many participants, because the final year, parents starts to get kids to go for medals in order to gain entry for DSA.

I almost fell into this category too. I encouraged or urged my kids to join track and field or some sports CCA, so that they may have a chance for DSA in time to come. But my ultimate aim was that such CCAs are able to make them fitter because they are indoor and never exercise types. Unfortunately they did not oblige because they hate running so I did not force them, and let them join some indoor CCAs which I don't see any benefit for DSA at all. Anyway no choice loh, just let them do what they like, besides nagging them STUDY STUDY STUDY!!!! :D hahaha....

However, I do notice a few of my ds classmates was 'forced' by their parents to join track and field even the kids already sound reluctant.

same here here la.
i got my son to join school niche cca for hope of dsa. after one year, he decided to change to a low prforofile cca and enjoys himself much more. so you can bring the horse to the waterbut cannot force him to drink! lol.

the new sysyem may be more suitable for my younger boy. i got him into niche cca too which he enjoys but i dont think any sch has taekwondo dsa. he is learning piano but not very talented kind, n he learning swimming also not talented kind. but main thing is he enjoys these activities n i hope the new sysyem will allow him to lead a more balanced life. he is waiting for p3 to join yrack field as he said he likes running.

The new system will not be suitable for my #2 who is taking PSLE in 2015..her chinese cannot make it..gotta depending on the other 3 subjects to pull up her aggregates..though she is in her niche CCA but I doubt she is one of those talented ones and I do not want her to think that she can get away from Chinese by using her niche CCA to pull through the PSLE.

Don't worry. I believe the country should be moulding into something that no matter where our kids go will benefit and grow (let's hope. hahaha... ) You see ITE nowadays can be so big, so nice and so advanced with so many courses that also helps them to blend into the society. In our days when we heard of ITE seems to be like "It's The End!" :D

bebe,

my P1 has math tuition....he is advancing into primary two topics but recently I am deciding to pull him out from the centre (son disagreeing at the moment) as I am getting lazy to commute. I think I can teach him at home as well. I told husband that letting him advance is because he is interested to do more, not because he is a genius. so instead of focusing on something which he is good at, based on the new psle grading system, we have to put in effort now to pull his weaker subjects up by giving him more practices on it which he dreads.

so is this new system holistic for the child?

nat,
my siblings, one from ITE, one from poly, one from private sch. my husband from degree. the starting pay and career prospect is different, so is the increment amount. so through the years, the gap just grew. degree is now a necessity for that job to curb inflation, if one is not an entreprenuer. my BIL, poly grad, entreprenuer, of course earns much more, but he thinks my husband, a govt servant's job is more stable. so grass greener on the other side?

hi zhen49, yes is true that the starting pay for degree is definitely higher and the gap grew, especially in the govt sectors or bigger MNCs. We were brought out in such reality and thus we are imposing this into our next generations too. :(

In the earlier days, degree holders are not a lot, thus one is able to see the great difference between a degree holder and a non-degree holder, in terms of pay and prospect. With today's education, degree holders are so common nowadays hence also becoming competitive. One who had gone through years of education and eventually gotten a degree, thus is expecting higher pay when coming out to society. He/She will not be willing to put up with a job with pay lower than expected. Furthermore with today high cost of surviving, companies are trying to 'cut cost' and are getting in foreigners (with degree or even Masters too) which could cost lower than our locals :( Making it largi more competitive.

However there are still many companies who are not looking at papers but the quality and capability of an employee. I would say there are still 出路 for non-degree holders and the saying 行行出状元 still exist :) I also believe not only IQ counts but EQ is also very important in today's society.

Anyway the above is just my own view. :)

I have 2 kids, one is doing good in studies while the other is the real opposite. But seeing him being less stress and still enjoying his childhood, compared to the other sibling, I find that this kind of childhood seems to be the one that is missing in today's children life. :) Therefore I am letting him learn at his own pace and am not expecting him a must to hold a degree and is prepared that he might need to go through a longer router than others.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

Today's 1st day of CA2... next year will be prelim period... so scary.. Scolded my dd yesterday for not revising... and she told me to let her be so that if result no good, she will buck-up for SA2:confused:

Valerie Good luck. No CA2 with a heavier weightage on SA2 is freaking me out.

My girl love her high jump training to the bits. Even if Friday means finishing all her work, she will oblige just to go for the second training of the week on Sat am.

Back