(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Re: CHinese tuition,
MY colleague who is from CHina gives me advice that for upper primary, it is better to go for private tuition as she mentioned that it will be more focus.

If the teacher is good, she will know the kid's weakness and work on it.

As for the fees, No doubt that it is very expensive. I think she is giving private tuition and she told me that $40/hour is just normal.

I stop my son's chinese class at ZHi Ying Language school as my son mention that he wanted to try out himself to improve on his chinese.

By the way, any kid's school have banding at the end of this year? Based on what criteria that the student is allowed/offered higher chinese?

For my son school, both the languages must be at least 80 and the other 2 subjects 75.

Yen Ling,
Thanks for the reassurance on Private Tuition. We are taking a big 'risk' for giving up our prime time slot at Berries. There is 'no turning back'. The is also this risk of tutor not being able to follow through til PSLE. But the thought that my boy will spend 1.5hours 1-to-1 session with the tutor is inviting...although the cost of $40/hr is just the starting...have to be prepared to pay more in P5 and P6.

Good that your boy is willing to try to improve Chinese by himself. That is half the battle won.

All P4 have to go through subject banding end of this year. Students who cannot get a passing score for any subject will be advised to take up Foundation subjects instead of Standard subjects. We were told that parents can still opt to take up Standard subjects when their kids fail the subject, but by end of P5 if the kid still could not pass, the school will step in to convert the kid to foundation course.

For HCL, i think it is sch by sch basis. For my boy's sch, HCL is not encouraged. They will only offer it to students who has Band 1 in Chinese and 80marks and above for all 3 subjects. Then in P5, to continue HCL, the kids must pass HCL subject and get A (75marks i think) and above for all 4 subjects.

Anyone wants to buy books from The Book Depository (www.bookdepository.com) cos they are giving 10% off coupon to me when friends whom I send the 10% off email to use it.

I am thinking of buying more Horrible Science books for my son.

Hi mummies

It's been a long time since I come to the forum.

I'm looking for a science tutor for my boy. Anyone has good recommendation on tution centre/private tutor?

Thanks

chickenlittle,
i used to use comprehension skills by dorcas ang. the short MCQ compre is quite tricky for my boy. but nowadays no time to do so...if have time, usually let my boy do past year papers.

fz
thanks, will check it out. Haha tutor just reviewed her paper and pointed out that we should not be lifting word for word now from passage as her teacher is marking her based on P6 standard liao.

CL,
wow...NYPS starts marking based on P6 standards now? so soon? so what is PSLE standard? summarised and write in own words? i asked my boy's CL teacher last year on the question on 'where can you see from the passage that blah blah blah', she said PSLE can either lift from passage and use " " to quote where you lift it from, or if the statement from passage is too long, have to summarise it, so it depends on the question.
for english, i find that it is very difficult to improve on compre cloze, especially if the cloze is on something non-fictional.
sad.gif

FZ, what did the gal do? And is your ds 'interested' in her?

My dd claimed that she hated boys. She aspires to go to a gal's secondary school next time.

Valerie, MD
I peeped at my boy's handphone SMS. I think he knows I read it cos he keeps his hp in living rm n he knows sometimes I look at it.
The gal SMS him that she likes him! Omg!
Earlier b4 this SMS, my boy told me he was wondering why others in class will whisper or be secretive around him, even avoiding him.
In one ofthe SMS, he replied that they r too young for such stuff n told her to meet him today at recess to talk. Hubby said my boy may be concerned about losing other friends cos of this.
I hint hint did ask him what age he thinks is apt to have gf n he said 18 cos he remember last yr I spoke to him b4.
He regular look n small built also. but quite outspoken in class. In p2 he got teased too when classmates said him n another gal were couples. But cos the gal did not bother, he did not too n they went on with their regular stuff n the teasing stopped.
Omg. Used to think go co-ed sec sch also can but now Told my husband that now I hope my boy can do well enough for psle to go boys sch next time!

ha ha my nephew too has admirer since P2. My girl was teased by friends since P1. But she refused to speak to them for a week till they apologise and say it was wrong of them to talk about boy girl relationship.

Aiyo, nowadays the girls are really maturing fast. But i guess this is growing up process and cannot be avoided.

Oh, about menstration, have anyone spoken to their dd about it. I felt that my girl may have it by this year. She has pimples on her forehead and need to wear padded singlet already. So worried if she gets it and do know how to handle it. Wonder should i teach her how to wear the sanitary pads.

fz

6 months after starting p1, my dd rec'd her first 情书. she frowned & said that boy made grammar & spelling mistakes. 2 other boy classmates followed her everywhere and both said want to marry her. during school holiday programme, a boy she met for the 1st time declared he's going to marry her. She's not taking any of them seriously lah. Just laugh it off.

Fortunately or unfortunately, she put on quite a fair bit of weight since p2, so now quite chubby & 'popularity' index dropped a little. No more love confessions but she still gets along very well with boys

I'm not particularly worried lah. I intend to send her to a co-ed sec sch leh. I believe she won't get carried away. I've sort of download my version of ideal boyfriend to her so she would make the right choice when the time comes to choose (in Uni).

valerie

my dd also wearing padded singlet. I've been talking about mensus & body changes with both my girls since preschool years. Not purposely lah, when they ask or somehow topic arises then we chit chat about it.

Good idea to teach about using pads. Haven't occur to me. I gave dd a quick briefing just now, hehe

lolz..so cute..but I doubt I can say the same if it happens to my own kids..hee

The other day I brought my kids to watch movie "The Lorax" and saw a couple, looking very young like 12-13 yrs old, holding hands waiting to enter the theatre..I told my hubby what will he react if that girl was her daughter..he said it will never happen..cos my gals are too shy..I said never underestimate the children now..probably I shd follow yawn yawn.."downloaded"them my version of ideal dating partners..

Valerie - my gal also has "pimples" or rather tiny bumps on her forehead..I told her that might be a sign of puberty and she starts getting worried..I hv been telling her the puberty and reproductive system changs but have not taught her about using pads. I have bought a padded singlet for her..but she refused to wear it..I told her that she has to start getting used to it..for now her modesty are protected by her pinafore, and she does not see the need to wear the singlet. I do know that some of the gals in her class has already wore "bra" since beginning of this year..

haiz,
not only have to deal with psle, have to deal with puberty also. faint...

my boy said that the some girls in class are starting a trend on who-likes-who-so-no-one-else-but-them-can-go-talk-to-those-'chomped'-ones-if-still-want-to-be-part-of-the-group thingy. faint. he said no wonder some of them ran away when they saw him cos under 'instructions' to keep a distance away from him. faint...
he said a handful of girls and boys are not in the 'group' cos they either felt it is ridiculous, or that they are oblivious. so he hangs around with them. i told him that that's what friends are for...don't put up with such nonsense in class. (from what he said, some of the boys are themselves 'chomped' by the girls in the group, so while others avoid them, the boys themselves stick together. seems like girls who talks to them will be shun by the group so some girls prefers to avoid them too)

yawnyawn,
looks like your girl quite popular ah.
happy.gif

i find that it is easier for girls to reject boys than boys to reject girls, cos for the latter, if not handled carefully, the girl may not be able to accept rejection well. for boys...skin usually quite thick ba. :p

My dd is qt outspoken in school and openly detest boys, so may have scare away the boys. So far, she hasn't tell me she likes anyone. But she keeps talking about a male teacher and says he's funny. Maybe she prefers 'mature' guys. LOL...

I'm going to get my gal the half singlet to wear soon. I haven't start telling her about menses but she has been curious with the birds and bees. Recently she ask me some awkward questions like "if a man and woman need to have S** and don't want baby, what should they do?" So am I to start educating her on contraceptives already, at 10 yo. Faint.

maisy

speaking of 'mature' guys... dd's music teacher is good looking! I was a little concerned she might develop a crush on teacher when I was considering hiring teacher. So far so good, I think she is immune to good looks, heng ah!

She likes boys who are smarter than her, especially in Maths, so I guess she's attracted to the brainy type.

I've not talked about contraception. I only subtlely preach celibacy before marriage, haha!

fz

not really lah. i think her personality is more like a boy. She said girls are too petty & like to form 'group'. She refused to join any girls 'group' last year even though she was invited often because she didn't like to be confined by rules in the group eg. who to friend & who to ignore. Too much unpleasant peer pressure. So she rather hang out with the boys who did not bother with such idiocy. That didn't bother the girls too much though, they still talk to her, guess they see her as neutral, heng lor

This year she's still experimenting who can be her new best friend. But not much of group forming in her class yet, the girls seem to hang around mostly in pairs. then again, only 7 girls in her class so I guess not enough headcount to form groups

just to share, my girl must be the first in this thread to get menses.

Was at a fren's house, she just whisper to me and ask me for a pad. just went in and put on herself. thereafter , in her bag, i pack a pouch with pads, panty and a pair of shorts.

She too has pimples on the nose.

My girl's oral and paper 1 will be next week. sigh we are totally not prepared as she just had a eventful Monday - high jump tournament and SYF guzheng

CL, your girl very steady leh... you have taught her about menses already... Did she experience any pain? Luckily you are with her.

I think mine will be soon too. Constantly having pimples on her forehead.

Sigh... time really flies... it was like yesterday when we were talking about P1 1st day in school and now menses already....

My girl oral on 23 April for both EL and CL.

I have confession to make... never really sit down with her to do revision. Previous years, my girl would have finished a pile of pass-year exam papers but this year only a few. I think both of us are getting lazy.

So many things to revise and so little time.
kao_dizzy.gif

Valerie
actually i did not prepare her. maybe because she knows i uses and her cousin got it in P4 too.

Yup i am leaving it to the tutors and in fact i am more worried for my son who is going to p1 and he look like not ready as compared to my daughter

Hi chicken little

Did your gal has any discharge before she starts menstruating..my gal starts to hv discharge beginning of this year... Guess hers will be soon too

yawnyawn,
my worries are over! my boy chose to ignore the sms and be a bit 'colder' to his admirer so as to end 'these nonsense'. he used to mention her as they are in the same group, but now he does not. hope the girl is not so hurt. ^__^"
a few days back, he received another sms, this time from another girl. asking if he is free to chat. -__-" he did not reply. :p

chickenlittle,
how time flies and our little horses growing up so fast. just last month my husband had a heart-to-heart talk to my boy letting him know what are the 'expected' bodily changes to be expected and surprisingly some had already occurred and my boy said he was initially quite scared why he got certain 'reaction' early in the morning. -__-"

my younger one going to P1 also seems not prepared. his grammar is a mess and his arithmetic is not strong. haiz. lucky that he can read and still can count using fingers. husband told me to focus more on the younger one after SA1 and let the older one 'swim by himself' for the rest of the year.

valerie,
my boy's oral exams also starts on 23rd april. this year not much time to do exam papers. had schedule for my boy to do 2-3 papers, have to seive through science papers to see that the topics are relevant.

avrilf,
your boy so lucky, no oral exams. my boy had oral presentation for Chinese in CA1..but for that they are allowed to bring home to prepare.

jolene,
what is your boy's range of 'marks deducted' for science OE and what are your expectations? my boy started with 18marks deducted or so in the initial revision last year, and after going revising science rigourously last year on answering technique, he managed to cap his marks deduction to 6-8 marks for those questions that he knows but could not secure full marks. give and take sometimes minus another 3-4 marks for tricky questions or difficult questions or careless mistakes, his OE deduction ranges between 8-12 marks. we focuses a lot on MCQ to try to score full marks or wrong 1-2 so as to keep score in band 1. MCQ is the killer and not worth the marks lost cos 1 MCQ is 2marks. for OE, i will mark and then go through with him to get him to highlight the keywords in my/assessment books' model answer and sometimes get him to memorise the answers for commonly found questions.

RE CL Compo
still at a loss on how to improve his score...he score fluctuates between 18/30 to 22/30
sad.gif

Jolene
yes u will notice the panty like turn brownish at first I was telling her aiyo why never wipe clean but actually it is discharge. Just get the things ready in her bag so she does not panic.

Fz
I also asked my girl's chinese teacher. her reply " Compo, read more model essay. Description 心理描写 is required for compo " say like never say, i also know lor.

by the way, what is expect for changes in boy ?

chickenlittle,
lol..i also know ah...about read more read more. but he read but never use also no use ah!

his private parts will 'stand' in the morning. he said he thought something was wrong with him until his dad talked to him about it. ^__^"

fz
that one my boy also have woh. Thot it is normal for boys since young.

my sil even tell me because need to pee. I was like ??????

Chicken Little
Your gal is so mature. I haven’t told my gal about menses till I read your post. So yesterday night, I briefly explained to her about it. Has your gal developed breasts? I need to get a half-singlet for my gal soon. Any recommendation where to buy?

Fz,
What kind of changes do boys have? My hubby doesn’t want (feels shy) to talk about all these issues. I wonder if I should be the one talking to my ds instead…. So far, I’ve be forthcoming with my gal. But nobody is talking to my son. If the daddy is not going to do it, should I? He is P3 now. Roughly when would the changes come about. I thought boys start puberty later.

Re: Exam
I haven’t really started letting them do many exam papers. Will leave it to the tutors. They are already so preoccupied with CCA, school and tuition homework. Seems so cruel to pile up with more exam papers. And partly I’m lazy to mark.

Are any of your kids going for school overseas trips in June? I’ve signed up for 6D5N China trip for my gal during the june holiday. She requested for it. I’m not sure if I will get insomnia without her with me for so many days! This will be the first time she goes away so far without me.

fz,
ha ha i ask my hb, he will says he will will grow and learn and no way i would know how to explain to him

ha ha can you share share what your hb tells your ds ?

MD
yes already started her wearing since last year. I got from robinsons at the kids dept. But if it is developed , I think the triumph one for young girls not bad. When I was P4, my fren's mum was a nurse and she told my mum and bought for me so that is when I started too.

same here now that all her CCA has stopped, she will be back to student care where they will jump start the exam revision engine for her so I am quite hands off this year again.

My girl's school has got a shanghai trip in March but we already booked for perth so we did not sign up. Not sure if there is any special trip for the chinese orchestra team. My girl's guzheng team got gold with honours for SYF 2012 so all efforts for extra practices paid off.

Hi mummies, i want to enrol my K2 girl with CMA. Any idea, are they good. My P4 girl's mental calculation is really very slow and refuse to memorised times table. Sigh.. thought maybe CMA can help so that my K2 girl will not have the same problem as her sister.

help mummies...i got to prepare my son for the show and tell next week and the topics all come the from the BIG BOOK - Stellar program. I am not find the find the storybook online and even from the library. Can anyone tell me where to search for the story on.. URGENT

. Mrs Wishy-Washy
2.The Farm Concert
3. Hairy Bear
4. Dan The Flying Man
*Draw comics of Dan
5. To Town
6. Walking Through the Jungle
7. The Hungry Giant
*Some food event, cannot remember
8. Smarty Pants
9. The Jigaree
10. The Giant's Ice Cream
*Ice Cream Party
11. Who will be my mother?
12. Poggy and the Cows
13. Lazy Duck
14. The King's Cake
*Costume Parade
15. There is a nightmare in my closet
16. Mr Grump's Outing
*Picnic

Valerie
I remember some people was telling me should enrol before they start learning addition woh

BP
I think these books under stellar programme not easy to get. They probably have shared the story in class, maybe your son should tell you what it is about so you can work with him on the show and tell ?

Hi mummies

been a while since I came in and "chat"..I read the forum update via iphone but no time to reply..

It is the exam period again and this time I am taking a back seat..totally "bo chap"..only use my mouth to "nag" them to revise. I wanna test and see how my kids will fare if I do not stress up myself...I think high chance that they will fare badly but that will be a lesson for them to learn and be "remorseful" and "appreciative" of my efforts..otherwise they will always take me for granted..

Frankly speaking, I also have no time to manage their studies this year..too much on my plate and I think it is high time that the kids take their own responsibilities and set up their own revision schedules..

bebe
I wish I can relax like you. Whenever exam period, I feel stressed. Their results is a reflection of my report book. DH has high expectations. 1 month before exam, he will start nagging the kids (and me) asking us to start prepare. Last week, he has been rehearsing with them oral exam. I've also started throwing some exam papers to my dd. Aiyo.... cannot 'leave it to them'.

M D - actually I am also stress but there is nothing much I can do as it is too late for me to to revise with them..

Now I ask them to revise their worksheet and do some of the past year papers..apart from that, I leave it to the sch and tuition center to get them ready.
Today my gal came home and told me that she think she did badly for her Chinese oral. I told her not to think too much since over liao..i would rather her focus on the remaining papers. So from noon till evening, she has been reading model compo books and writing down phrases..

Bebe
I started oral revision early last week. After 2 days of screaming at his ridiculous standard, I gave up n just shove him a list of the topics I extracted from the assessmt books n told him to finish Reading by himself. Only when he started planning his oral revision schedule then he realised that he was running out of time. Anyway today!s Chinese oral over n he very happy that beach came out as he revised that pic as well. He thinks he'll do well. Best of all, his confidence stems from the fact that the tester was not his teacher as he said he performs better in front of strangers.
Now he is revising his mini math test on sq n rect. Left it to him cos if not, another shouting match. He behaves like pre teen now n treats my words as none existent sometimes. He is contented being just average in his class n did not feel the need to put in more effort.he does not feel motivated to improve Chinese may partly be due to the teacher.
Husband this year cut me some slack wrt to son's performance. He said I should spend more time with my younger who us going p1 next year if the older one is not responsive to my coaching, and let the older be responsible for his attitude.
However my boy still very keen in me going thru science with him cos it is his fav subj. I don't mind cos he had no tuition for this. But I find it a drag to revise English n Chinese with him as he already attends tuition for it. It frustrates me further when he does not produce results .

Back