(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

@lil_mermaid, it can be common or something serious.

Have u told your gynae? Give him a call. Alternatively, make a trip to KKH or NUH A&E. Most likely you will get hormone pills and jab. Don't move around too much.

lil_mermaid, will be good to see gynae just to be on the safe side. me too on and off will have spotting. was given 2 hormone jabs and a box of progesterone pills plus few days of bedrest to stop it. could be cervix sensitive, or implantation bleeding or low placenta.

positivelife, why have you decided to go for c-section so early into the pregnancy? thought most women prefer to go through normal birth. unless there are complications then no choice c-sect.

Thanks sleepawhile & starrymommy.
I was given dydrogesterone. Twice daily. Plus a 'standby form' in case it gets darker n blood red.
Hope it stops soon.

Meanwhile i guess i should do more bedrest.

Marilyn

Marilyn, your beanie will be fine :) Brown means it's old blood, bleeding could have stopped. I bled pretty badly during 6th week. I'm now in 9th week. Jiayou!

My advice is, drink more water, bedrest as much as possible :)

Is it important to do oscar test ? Doc say optional for me since I'm very young. So thinking if not important then I won't do :)

Have any mummies here who has done oscar or harmony test and share with us? I am still not sure whether or not to have oscar or harmony test. The issue here is I am not sure whether I will keep the baby if I know my baby got down syndrome. Sometimes I feel, if I will still keep the baby for whatever reason, then why I must be bother with those many tests? Would it make my life during pregnancy so miserable?
Because at any time during our pregnancy, while our baby still grow in our womb, there are possibility something goes wrong. But will you be keeping the baby or will you be terminating your pregnancy. Really confused and undecided ...... difficult choice.

harmony is still relatively new, so price is also very high. $900 - $1k++. it's just blood test, sent to USA to do the testing. supposed to have higher accuracy than oscar.

oscar is blood test + scan to compute the probability of have DS and other rare disorders. if the probability is high (there are different thresholds for different age group), you may be asked to consider amniocentesis, which is an invasive procedure to draw amniotic fluid from your womb to test if baby has DS. there is a small percentage of miscarriage for this test. my friend shared her experience with me on this and it was really a rollercoaster ride for her. thankfully, baby turns out to be 100% healthy. but it was a grueling few weeks for her and her hubby with all the unknowns and what-ifs.

for hubby and i, we have decided to just go for oscar.

I think I will go for Oscar too. If the ratio comes back unusually high risk then I will consider further tests to determine DS.

How are you mummies coping with the hot weather? I have been drinking chilled drinks and today, 100 plus. Most of the time during the weekends only. My hubby always say me for drinking them. I accidentally ate curry today and got 'scolded' by hubby cos of the coconut milk. When it comes to diet, it's really a big struggle. Soooo many restrictions! =(

just had an orange and cold peel fresh yuzu drink. cannot tahan the still air and humid weather. :( the yuzu drink was very refreshing!

How are you mummies coping with the hot weather? I have been drinking chilled drinks and today, 100 plus. Most of the time during the weekends only. My hubby always say me for drinking them. I accidentally ate curry today and got 'scolded' by hubby cos of the coconut milk. When it comes to diet, it's really a big struggle. Soooo many restrictions! =(
I have eaten curry, laksa, mee siam, tom yam quite a few times already. I feel so sinful after eating them but it is really hard to resist. I am craving for all the unhealthy food. Today tried eating healthy food such as vegetables and steam fish but after that feel like vomiting :(

Only blue cheese cannot eat I think.. Crabs is due to its cooling effect.. Milk pudding sounds perfectly fine to me.. It has calcium which is great..

Hubby was concerned that it might contain raw eggs.. which is supposed to be no - no.

That said, I haven't been super disciplined on cold drinks. I still take cold, soft drinks etc.. esp when it's so hot lately. I take coffee almost everyday, but I try to limit to one cup of either tea or coffee each day. I still binge on fast food.. cos it's so convenient. But I try to avoid tomyam cos I heard cannot take lemongrass and they usually contain that.

What's you mummies take on coconut milk ah? I've read some ppl say can eat nasi lemak, yet some try to abstain fr it totally, even stuff like curry cannot take. Also I really love instant noodles... but hubby say not good for baby.

I take nasi lemak cuz they make.me feel better. Dunno why. I also take cold drinks still. I try to be more conscious but lime.juice needs to be cold leh. Preferring sour drinks this time.

I take nasi lemak cuz they make.me feel better. Dunno why. I also take cold drinks still. I try to be more conscious but lime.juice needs to be cold leh. Preferring sour drinks this time.
Yeah I have been craving for nasi lemak and sour drinks too. I try limit it as my digestion is really bad. Some how these few days my ms have ease a little but the indigestion is still quite bad.

Hubby was concerned that it might contain raw eggs.. which is supposed to be no - no.

That said, I haven't been super disciplined on cold drinks. I still take cold, soft drinks etc.. esp when it's so hot lately. I take coffee almost everyday, but I try to limit to one cup of either tea or coffee each day. I still binge on fast food.. cos it's so convenient. But I try to avoid tomyam cos I heard cannot take lemongrass and they usually contain that.

What's you mummies take on coconut milk ah? I've read some ppl say can eat nasi lemak, yet some try to abstain fr it totally, even stuff like curry cannot take. Also I really love instant noodles... but hubby say not good for baby.
Yeah instant noodles very bad for digestion. I try to avoid it at all cost.

I have been less observant on dietary restrictions. Just moderate on everything. I asked my gynae and he never say I should avoid any food other than alcohol.

@starrymommy, @happycsk, after discussing with my hubby, I have decided to do oscar first and see the result then further discuss. I heard oscar not only detect for down syndrome but also other defects such as heart defects, etc.

I will be having my oscar test this thursday.... keep my finger crossed and pray.

My doc told me I can eat anything. I haven't heard anything abt diet restriction for me
I are 4 big fresh oyster and a crab and a can of abalone ( I just open and eat without cooking ) last night

Just had sudden cravings and decided to go for a big feast haha

Is there any reasons for specific diets ?

@mommymich, you can read the book on pregnancy guide from the website below. You should avoid those raw foods because they might be contaminate with virus which might affect our baby.

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/health-article/12140

For safe pregnancy, it is advisable to avoid the following food:
- unpasteured milk, soft cheeses
- raw salad and vegetables
- alcohol
- excessive caffeine such as coffee, tea and soft drinks
- raw or undercooked meat, poultry, seafood such as raw oyster, cockles, sashimi and raw/half-boiled eggs, and liver pate.

Re: Diet

I am still eating whatever I crave for, although I do try to go for healthier choices when possible. Have taken instant noodles a couple of times too as the crave for them was quite strong a few weeks ago! :p No craving for prawns, mussels, crabs, oysters etc so far, guess that's good! 'cos those are forbidden foods (according to my hubby). lol!!

Hi mummies and mummies-to-be,

Any SAHM-to-be after delivery? I am currently a FTWM with a 2.5 yrs old #1. My in-laws and my parents both are residing in overseas. My #1 went to infant care when she was 4 months old. I always feel very guilty on her. So now hubby insists me to be SAHM after my #2 pops out. My EDD is 10 May.

Would like to seek advice from all of you. When should I inform my boss that I am going to tender after my maternity leave? I worry if I inform earlier, I don't know what will happen, but I also feel bad if I tender on the 1st day after I back from maternity leave. Sigh... dilemma...

hi isabella888, congrats on expecting your #2! just wondering, if you intend to stay at home fully, will you be looking after your toddler and baby alone? 'cos there will be no CC subsidy if only 1 parent is working full-time. I suggest don't tell your boss your intention to quit first. maybe wait till you are like 20 weeks along (halfway through pregnancy), and after thinking things through properly then say.

Hi all! Went for my first appt at kkh during mid sept, i was suppose to be 7 weeks based on my lmp. However fetal was measured at 3mm during the ultrasound with a visible heartbeat and the gynae said its only 5w5d. Should be about 9 weeks by now.. Anyway, my next appt is on coming Wednesday! Cant wait! I have no MS, but last night i just vomited after eating pohpian!
Edd 15 may, 1st baby.

Add me to the fb group?
[email protected]

Hello all,
This's my #1 & my EDD is 20 May'14 but doctor say always prepare baby to come early because I conceive through IVF.
I'm on 9wks now and still having MS and can't really eat and felt like so many wind inside my body.
Sometimes feel better for 1 or 2 days but after that MS come back again.
My last scan is on 7wks and next scan will be 11wks , do you think it's too long? or it's normal?

hi isabella888, congrats on expecting your #2! just wondering, if you intend to stay at home fully, will you be looking after your toddler and baby alone? 'cos there will be no CC subsidy if only 1 parent is working full-time. I suggest don't tell your boss your intention to quit first. maybe wait till you are like 20 weeks along (halfway through pregnancy), and after thinking things through properly then say.

Hi Starrymommy,

I will still let my #1 go to CC. I cannot imagine to handle 1 toddler + 1 newborn alone. I am very determined in breastfeed for this #2 cos I actually fail to breastfeed my #1. Had early engorgement and didn't know how to handle, my CL was so inexperience and bad, not support in breastfeed. End up I had post natal blues and force to give up in breastfeeding.

For this #2, I really wish I can success in breastfeeding. Hope the experience mummies here can advise/ assist me later on.

I think the CC subsidy is $150 for non-working mum?

m&m, congrats and welcome! we have plenty of mummies here expecting #3! :)

hi cynthiazen and vinka, congrats to both of you too! vinka. my appointment are around 4 weeks+ apart. don't worry about it.. if you don't feel comfortable with the wait, can call up gynae and reschedule maybe at week 10 instead?

Last edited:
isabella888, if you feel comfortable with being a SAHM, go for it! :) my gf also became a SAHM after her #1 came along. then she had #2. totally no regrets for her and I see her so happy being at home with her kids and baking stuffs when she's free. she has her mum to help her out so it isn't so bad. have a few other friends who are also SAHM.

whimsicalfix85, thanks for sharing! just saw this on FB too. really nice, with that red "stamp" at the bottom. very special.

Vinka, my next visit by right is wk 11-12 (for oscar or harmony test), but i chose to have another visit at wk 9-10, before wk 12 test.

Starrymommy, its kind of nice to have #3. I have 2 boys now. :).....
Do we have fb group? Is it a secret group? Cos i have not really announce and dont think want pple to know till later stage.

Starrymommy, its kind of nice to have #3. I have 2 boys now. :).....
Do we have fb group? Is it a secret group? Cos i have not really announce and dont think want pple to know till later stage.

I'm the reverse, I have 2 girls. heh heh! how old are your boys? mine are 4 and 3. yes, our FB group is a secret one. :) PM me your email address and I will add u in.

hi cynthiazen and vinka, congrats to both of you too! vinka. my appointment are around 4 weeks+ apart. don't worry about it.. if you don't feel comfortable with the wait, can call up gynae and reschedule maybe at week 10 instead?

Hi S

Thanks starrymommy maybe i just wait until 11wks since it's normal to have scan 4wks apart.

Vinka, my next visit by right is wk 11-12 (for oscar or harmony test), but i chose to have another visit at wk 9-10, before wk 12 test.

Hi m&m ,
So you decided to do Oscar scan or harmony test? heard from my ivf doctor that harmony test will cost around 2k++?

Vinka, appointments later on in 2nd tri till 3rd tri will be 4 weeks apart. then closer to end of 3rd tri will be once a week.

Hello all! Bad Monday for me today. The sick feeling is back for me and it almost seems like the "strategy" I took to eat every few hours last week doesn't work anymore. Hmm. Body v smart, now I don't know what it wants.

Regarding food restrictions, my gynae says during this stage will tend to feel extremely sian due to no appetite and bland taste buds, hence will tend to crave for very strong food like spicy, sweet, sour. Except alcohol and smoking, he gave the go ahead to eat anything including fast food, chocs and sashimi. I am honestly surprised when I heard it but I really do think we need to avoid raw food during pregnancy. Except raw food, think everything else in moderation is fine.

me! just booked like last week. and it was already a mad scramble.. can't believe several of the ones recommended by my friends are booked up till June!

Hello all,
This's my #1 & my EDD is 20 May'14 but doctor say always prepare baby to come early because I conceive through IVF.
I'm on 9wks now and still having MS and can't really eat and felt like so many wind inside my body.
Sometimes feel better for 1 or 2 days but after that MS come back again.
My last scan is on 7wks and next scan will be 11wks , do you think it's too long? or it's normal?

My last scan is 7 weeks
Next scan also 11 weeks haha
That's why I'm thinking if I should go and see this or next week
My edd is 21 may :)
Which doc did u see ?

Back