IVF/ICSI Support Group

Yeah when I got bloated for my first fresh, i went to see dr ard day8-9n my dr was so happy to hear that im bloated. Hcg was over 20. So be hopeful!

Hi Archie7, TCM doc, TSB is at Chinatown? Tan Siew Buoy?

Hi @appleangel, sorry for the delay in replying. Yup, that's her, Tan Siew Buoy (Chen Qiu Mei).

Health & Beauty Pte Ltd, Traditional chinese medicine centre
No. 38 upper cross st,
Singapore 058341
Tel: 65344131 (By appointment)

Apparently she also has a clinic at NTU but I only go to the Chinatown one.

hi all,
need a little help here on the IVF procedure in KKH.

Can I ask what happens when the doctor says ok to proceed with ivf? is it like below? reason being my husband just started new job and may have problem getting leave..so I need to plan carefully on the number of leaves he needs to take...thanks in advance for somebody's kind advises..

When doc confirm IVF/ICSI is the way to go
1. Go to KKIVF yourself to book apt or wait for nurse to give a memo from doc?
2. Proceed for councelling ( how many councelling are there, done by nurse /doc/social worker) does husband compulsory need to be there also, is it full day or half day councelling and by how many parties ?)
3. Proceed for ivf bloodtest (husband to be there to take blood)

On Day 2 of menses, call KKIVF
4. Come down to get medicine and learn injection ( hubby no need to be there unless he needs to learn injection?)
5. mid scan..hubby no need to be there
6.ER(hubby to be there to produced)
7. trigger injection, (go to O&G be it daytime or nite time?)
8. ET
So hubby needs to be there for item 3(bloodtest) and 6(ER)? item 2 also or no need?

Does the councelling and bloodtest have sat slot?. and normally the ER is scheduled in the morning or it depends?

Miracle, I reckon event like that (NDP) exposes a person, not to mention a small child, to more germs especially in such a crowded one. I did go to NDP last year and I swear I won't go again because the crowd control about 1km from the location was horrendous. There was a bad bottle neck and either someone's armpits were right on my face or someone's hair had to brush my nose. It was just so bad I felt very sweaty and uncomfortable. I was so glad when I could go home after the event haha.

Laine hehe your dream is so funny. I think you probably been worrying too much. Just like me when I was on stim stage. I must be not sleeping very well (thinking of the morning jabs) and I dreamt my gonal f inside got mold! And also sea monkey. Lol I don't know where that come from.

Miracle oh ya the nurse at kkh told me one may get more bloated if preggie. So I'm rooting for you.

hi all,
need a little help here on the IVF procedure in KKH.

Can I ask what happens when the doctor says ok to proceed with ivf? is it like below? reason being my husband just started new job and may have problem getting leave..so I need to plan carefully on the number of leaves he needs to take...thanks in advance for somebody's kind advises..

1. Go to KKIVF yourself to book apt or wait for nurse to give a memo from doc? Doc will give memo to KKIVFC and KKIVFC will call and make appointment to you to come down to sign form...
2. Proceed for councelling ( how many councelling are there, done by nurse /doc/social worker) does husband compulsory need to be there also, is it full day or half day councelling and by how many parties ?) Your Husband will need to come together too... By Nurse and Doc to explain... Is best to take full day...
3. Proceed for ivf bloodtest (husband to be there to take blood) Your Husband will need to come together too...

On Day 1 of menses (full flow), call KKIVF
4. Come down to get medicine and learn injection ( hubby no need to be there unless he needs to learn injection?) KKIVFC will advise you to come down next day for scan. If the doc decide for you short protocol, you will get the medicine and learn injection on the spot.
5. mid scan..hubby no need to be there Hubby no need to be with you.. I go alone too...
6.ER(hubby to be there to produced) Yes, ER Hubby need to be here as he need to produced and also bring you home after that.
7. trigger injection, (go to O&G be it daytime or nite time?) Is on night time and depend your ER time..
8. ET Hubby no need to go unless you want...
So hubby needs to be there for item 3(bloodtest) and 6(ER)? item 2 also or no need? Yes

Does the councelling and bloodtest have sat slot?. and normally the ER is scheduled in the morning or it depends? ER is depend... Councelling and BT will be done one weekday... ER mostly in morning but depend the slot....

1. Go to KKIVF yourself to book apt or wait for nurse to give a memo from doc? Doc will give memo to KKIVFC and KKIVFC will call and make appointment to you to come down to sign form...
2. Proceed for councelling ( how many councelling are there, done by nurse /doc/social worker) does husband compulsory need to be there also, is it full day or half day councelling and by how many parties ?) Your Husband will need to come together too... By Nurse and Doc to explain... Is best to take full day...
3. Proceed for ivf bloodtest (husband to be there to take blood) Your Husband will need to come together too...
On Day 1 of menses (full flow), call KKIVF
4. Come down to get medicine and learn injection ( hubby no need to be there unless he needs to learn injection?) KKIVFC will advise you to come down next day for scan. If the doc decide for you short protocol, you will get the medicine and learn injection on the spot.
5. mid scan..hubby no need to be there Hubby no need to be with you.. I go alone too...
6.ER(hubby to be there to produced) Yes, ER Hubby need to be here as he need to produced and also bring you home after that.
7. trigger injection, (go to O&G be it daytime or nite time?) Is on night time and depend your ER time..
8. ET Hubby no need to go unless you want...
So hubby needs to be there for item 3(bloodtest) and 6(ER)? item 2 also or no need? Yes
Does the councelling and bloodtest have sat slot?. and normally the ER is scheduled in the morning or it depends? ER is depend... Councelling and BT will be done one weekday... ER mostly in morning but depend the slot....

Last edited:
redvel, haha, what is sea monkey?

connie, not necessary to go for counselling. As for blood test, can do anytime including lunch time. Think er normally in the morning

Connie your post is very detailed. Makes me reminisce my whole ivf process :p

I try to remember as much as I can....
Once you've seen your doc, on that same day, a nurse will speak with you. Either you'll know by that day when the scheduled counselling is, or you'll receive a call on that (hee apparently I don't quite remember this part. I just remember I was attended by a staff after I've seen Dr Sadhana).

Counselling session : Yes hubby is to be there because blood will be drawn from him and you. I suggest bring along both your latest health report, if any. Because there are some blood tests which KKH don't need to do for you if your report has stated so (cannot be too old a report la). Alternatively, if he can't make it on that day, the nurse will still give you some paperwork for your man to bring to go down on a separate day just to draw blood. Can be done on a saturday. So that might help for your hubby's situation.

The session is about 3-4hrs. You will stay put in the same room throughout, together with all other couples. My sis' session had only 4 couples. Mine had 9 couples. So, depends. The session is carried out by 2 or 3 personnels. You will sign a few documents on that day. There'll be a Q&A. My sis said her session was a shy group. Nobody asked anything. But my session was quite fun as we were more open in asking questions. One young couple even asked "will KKH mix up our sperm or not?" lol.

From what I know, there's no saturday's counselling session. But better for you to check as I think I asked before but can't quite remember.

No, day 1 of mense you MUST call KKIVF already. Because you'll be scheduled to go down on day 2 or 3. If you call on day 2, it's too late. I don't know about other hospital but for KKH, if say your AF arrives today before noon, then today is day 1. Tomorrow you will need to go down for first scan. But if your AF arrives after 12nn today, then you'll not be scheduled for the scan tomorrow but will be on Wed. So far, my scans are always scheduled in the earlier morning. Yup the man don't need to be there.

And yup mid scan also don't need him.

Trigger shot : so far mine is always at night at o&g. One was 11ish pm and one was 9ish pm.

ER : yes the man to be there to produce. Or he can produce at home but the sample has a timeline of 1.5hrs to reach the hospital by your ER appointment time. And he also has to there to sign the medisave form if you guys are using his. Actually best to be there as you'll need him to send you home after the procedure. So far my two ERs are morning. I believe they all should be morning because we need to fast from the night before. If afternoon ER, I think don't need to put anaesthetic in me already... I already hin from hunger.

ET : timing also depends? As I read from forum. But mine so far are both first patient at 730am. Again, men dont need to be there. But I prefer mine to with me for this one =)

laine these are sea monkeys. tiny tiny creatures. Apparently that was a nightmare to me.
SeaMonkiesInAquarium.JPG

Connie your post is very detailed. Makes me reminisce my whole ivf process :p

I try to remember as much as I can....
Once you've seen your doc, on that same day, a nurse will speak with you. Either you'll know by that day when the scheduled counselling is, or you'll receive a call on that (hee apparently I don't quite remember this part. I just remember I was attended by a staff after I've seen Dr Sadhana).

Counselling session : Yes hubby is to be there because blood will be drawn from him and you. I suggest bring along both your latest health report, if any. Because there are some blood tests which KKH don't need to do for you if your report has stated so (cannot be too old a report la). Alternatively, if he can't make it on that day, the nurse will still give you some paperwork for your man to bring to go down on a separate day just to draw blood. Can be done on a saturday. So that might help for your hubby's situation.

The session is about 3-4hrs. You will stay put in the same room throughout, together with all other couples. My sis' session had only 4 couples. Mine had 9 couples. So, depends. The session is carried out by 2 or 3 personnels. You will sign a few documents on that day. There'll be a Q&A. My sis said her session was a shy group. Nobody asked anything. But my session was quite fun as we were more open in asking questions. One young couple even asked "will KKH mix up our sperm or not?" lol.

From what I know, there's no saturday's counselling session. But better for you to check as I think I asked before but can't quite remember.

No, day 1 of mense you MUST call KKIVF already. Because you'll be scheduled to go down on day 2 or 3. If you call on day 2, it's too late. I don't know about other hospital but for KKH, if say your AF arrives today before noon, then today is day 1. Tomorrow you will need to go down for first scan. But if your AF arrives after 12nn today, then you'll not be scheduled for the scan tomorrow but will be on Wed. So far, my scans are always scheduled in the earlier morning. Yup the man don't need to be there.

And yup mid scan also don't need him.

Trigger shot : so far mine is always at night at o&g. One was 11ish pm and one was 9ish pm.

ER : yes the man to be there to produce. Or he can produce at home but the sample has a timeline of 1.5hrs to reach the hospital by your ER appointment time. And he also has to there to sign the medisave form if you guys are using his. Actually best to be there as you'll need him to send you home after the procedure. So far my two ERs are morning. I believe they all should be morning because we need to fast from the night before. If afternoon ER, I think don't need to put anaesthetic in me already... I already hin from hunger.

ET : timing also depends? As I read from forum. But mine so far are both first patient at 730am. Again, men dont need to be there. But I prefer mine to with me for this one =)
redvel, thanks, this reply is indeed great help to me. Goody luck for yr embries in you this round. ++++++++++++++
lainelaine, thanks so much for your reply too.

all e best everyone!

The spotting is quite a bit of brown. It's typical spotting like my usual bfn cycles. I didn't intend to poas until near BT which is next Monday. But since I'm spotting I took one on afternoon pee. Blank.

Connie...

Just wanna add a little more info on blood test. .rule of thumb the blood test is valid for 6 mths. So if u r not starting yet... maybe u can then plan 2 weeks before ur intended cycle then go for the blood test.

Also for menses 1 st day meaning...full fresh blood flow menses...not the brown spotting type ...so usually we ladies have brown spotting first then 2nd day fresh flow.. so that's the day u call and it's the so called 1st day to kk ivf. .

Hoped this helps.

Connie_hopeful: main thing is hubby need to be there for
@ blood rest,
@ counselling (if required), and
@ egg retrieval day to provide fresh semen. The other days if he cant make it, that's ok as long as you can manage. My hubby travels alot so i boh pian have to do most appmts myself. Even on ER day, if you are ok, he can just provide the semen and leave as long as you dont mind proceeding on your own and hv someone to pick u up later (as sedated during procdure so a little groggy). In the end, if hubby is able to produce semen in a tub, his physical contribution is minimal (although his emotional support is very important)

Hmmm My spotting was aso like pre af type which is y I didn't hold any hope n prealert My dh beforehand. In My fast bfn no spotting at all..

So kp ur faith....

The spotting is quite a bit of brown. It's typical spotting like my usual bfn cycles. I didn't intend to poas until near BT which is next Monday. But since I'm spotting I took one on afternoon pee. Blank.
brown spotting and not red maybe still have hope? cos I heard from the others implantation bleeding is either brown or pink. don't lose hope yet, maybe go to kk o&G for additional support tomorrow? u never know...

Hello Redvel ...

I agree the ndp was chaotic but huh kids really enjoyed. ..hee

Thanks redvel .I am praying hard. .

Btw...spotting ... u might want to get more support from kkh ? That's what I did previously...was also bfp for me. .. also might be implantation spotting....

Connie_hopeful: main thing is hubby need to be there for
@ blood rest,
@ counselling (if required), and
@ egg retrieval day to provide fresh semen. The other days if he cant make it, that's ok as long as you can manage. My hubby travels alot so i boh pian have to do most appmts myself. Even on ER day, if you are ok, he can just provide the semen and leave as long as you dont mind proceeding on your own and hv someone to pick u up later (as sedated during procdure so a little groggy). In the end, if hubby is able to produce semen in a tub, his physical contribution is minimal (although his emotional support is very important)

ron, thank you! hubby got supportive just that now got new job not convenient to take many leaves. so I think bo bian if I proceed on after doc clear my hsg scan results, I have to be on my own footing for this 2nd fresh cycle.

I still got to arrange one appt for his sperm freezing. we have actually frozen spermies from other centre..but kk do not accept frozen samples from other centres, and they do not allow freezing to be done on sat..

can I ask on the appt which the doc says ok to proceed ivf, it is not the same councelling date hor. councelling is not by the doc rite?

Thanks ladies. Of course I still guai guai do my inserts and take my aspirin. Till I see red la.

Ron i did on an afternoon pee just now. I don't like to poas anyhow haa but since spotting I need to know so at least I know what's the next step. I'm already 10dp2dt.

Redvel....try a hpt if u have...if it's +ve then pls go to o&g for more support. ..also ask doc if shd continue aspirin. . That's what I did last cycle... must take care ah... keep the faith...

Actually ivf blood test can b done anytime. No need to b done together. Can go Saturday n do.

Even ER he also no need to take leave. He can either produce at home or go early at 730am n do it in kkh. After tt he can go to work. By the time u can discharge is noon. He can come by during lunch time to collect medicine n send u bk. Even medisave forms, can take in advance n sign Leow then pass to ivf centre on ER. Just tell the nurse the constraints. They will help

The only days he needs to b with u is counselling time n on ET. Counselling time, is a half day event. U can go to the PM schedule, say 3pm. Just go gp n take a pm mc. The only leave he needs to take is on ET!

Sisters n jklim, thank you for yr kindly advise. Very glad to have support over here as we are doing it alone without informing our friends, relatives n family members. :)谢谢 for e advises :)

Hi @connie_hopeful.. Here's what I've gathered:

- U can tell doctor u wanna go immediately to book the slot.. Doctor will write the memo and get his assistant to bring u to IVFC to registered.. That's what happened in my case.. I told THH I dont wanna waste time waiting for IVFC to call and and he got Felicia to bring me to IVFC and the nurses there briefed me and book my slot immediately..

2. Proceed for councelling ( how many councelling are there, done by nurse /doc/social worker) does husband compulsory need to be there also, is it full day or half day councelling and by how many parties ?)
- Counselling is not compulsory.. Only briefing is.. Counselling is included in the briefing registration fees but it's optional.. I didnt go for counselling, only briefing.. DH will needa be there as there'll be blood test and all after the briefing session.. Takes 2-3 hours for the briefing..

- As per point 2.

4. Come down to get medicine and learn injection ( hubby no need to be there unless he needs to learn injection?)
- Please call KKIVFC on CD1 of ur AF (full flow).. Ultrasound scan and get all your med.. DH do not need to be there, like what you say, unless he wanna learn how to jab you.. But trust me, you jab yourself will be easier and less painful..

- Yup, all the scans.. DH dunida be there unless he wants to..

6. ER (hubby to be there to produced)
- DH will needa either be there to produce or he can produce at home but you'll need to bring the troopers in within 1 hour.. He can leave when u're in the OT but will needa be back to bring you home as you'll be on sedation..

- Yup.. O&G at night most of the time..

8. ET
- It's encouraged that DH be there..

All in all.. It'll be good if your DH be with you throughout the whole process.. He'll be more aware of what's going on but if really cant, den no choice.. My DH was with me from start to end, even during the u/s so he knows what's going on and how's the progress.. Very rush for him too.. Hving to wake up very earli in the morn so we can be the first few there to cut the waiting time and rushing back to the office.. But he personally finds it worth it.. Even tho it meant hving to bring his laptop home to work at night cos he starts work later..

Hi @connie_hopeful.. Here's what I've gathered:

- U can tell doctor u wanna go immediately to book the slot.. Doctor will write the memo and get his assistant to bring u to IVFC to registered.. That's what happened in my case.. I told THH I dont wanna waste time waiting for IVFC to call and and he got Felicia to bring me to IVFC and the nurses there briefed me and book my slot immediately..

- Counselling is not compulsory.. Only briefing is.. Counselling is included in the briefing registration fees but it's optional.. I didnt go for counselling, only briefing.. DH will needa be there as there'll be blood test and all after the briefing session.. Takes 2-3 hours for the briefing..

- As per point 2.

- Please call KKIVFC on CD1 of ur AF (full flow).. Ultrasound scan and get all your med.. DH do not need to be there, like what you say, unless he wanna learn how to jab you.. But trust me, you jab yourself will be easier and less painful..

- Yup, all the scans.. DH dunida be there unless he wants to..

6. ER (hubby to be there to produced)
- DH will needa either be there to produce or he can produce at home but you'll need to bring the troopers in within 1 hour.. He can leave when u're in the OT but will needa be back to bring you home as you'll be on sedation..

- Yup.. O&G at night most of the time..

8. ET
- It's encouraged that DH be there..

All in all.. It'll be good if your DH be with you throughout the whole process.. He'll be more aware of what's going on but if really cant, den no choice.. My DH was with me from start to end, even during the u/s so he knows what's going on and how's the progress.. Very rush for him too.. Hving to wake up very earli in the morn so we can be the first few there to cut the waiting time and rushing back to the office.. But he personally finds it worth it.. Even tho it meant hving to bring his laptop home to work at night cos he starts work later..
Rachelt, thanks for your detailed inputs. hugs :) hubby was there all the way for my 1st fresh. I reali hope he can make it if we can proceed on 2nd fresh ( if doc cleared my initial scans (hsg) and blood test check) as much, but see how, he just joined the co last week. I guessed some times we ladies need to be strong on our own when bo bian.

good luck for your FET gal! ++

Rachelt, thanks for your detailed inputs. hugs :) hubby was there all the way for my 1st fresh. I reali hope he can make it if we can proceed on 2nd fresh ( if doc cleared my initial scans (hsg) and blood test check) as much, but see how, he just joined the co last week. I guessed some times we ladies need to be strong on our own when bo bian.

good luck for your FET gal! ++
Ya.. If circumstances really dont permit than no choice.. Jia you @connie_hopeful..

FET akan datang.. Xcitinggggggg..

Hi, i did my ET last Wed, when is the earliest i can do a BT to check on progesterone level? Bcos my first ivf, my previous doctor mention that im not producing enough progesterone so he gave alot of additional progesterone support. I change to kkh this round, there is no review until BT which is 18 days later. I'm having cramps. Im very worried...

oh n when is the best time to do all those blood test required for fresh? lole which part of our menses cycle?
If u mean pre ivf blood test for HIV n rubella, it has a 6 mth validity date.so do it when u confirm on e ivf program.else if it lapse as in over yr ivf cycles, u have to redo it.so dun waste it as its not cheap.if it is not this test, but u mean those lh, fsh test etc, I think got to be done at day 2 and day 21, depending on e type of hormone test that u are doing.hope this helps

Back