WTS Scholastic Bks - You can't Taste a Pickle with your ear, There's a Frog in my throat, I Know Why

fann

1. You can't Taste a Pickle with your ear, (Preschool)
This clear, humorous look at the five senses will engage young children. Each short chapter focuses on one of the senses, opening with a simple explanation that uses everyday experiences. In the first chapter, the sense of smell is described with a suggestion that readers hold their noses, let go, and discover what they smell. Cartoonlike drawings show a pizza, some blue cheese, and a boy holding his nose. Tidbits of interesting factual information follow, such as "Deer have a very good sense of smell. They can sniff the wind to smell if dangerous animals are near." In each chapter, the pace and tone of the book then change as a fictional rhyming text exuberantly brings a sense to life, for example, "Wind and waves,/Shells and sand,/The salt air smells/Oh, so grand." Finally, each chapter ends with a series of simple questions designed to encourage children to think about how they use their senses every day

2. There's a Frog in my throat (P1 to P3)
Like a moth to a flame, readers will be drawn to this entertaining book. The sayings are loosely grouped by types of animals-domestic, barnyard, winged, etc.-and each adage is accompanied by a short definition. For example, "It's raining cats and dogs. It's raining hard." Numerous sayings are scattered over each spread and illustrated with small, full-color pictures in a variety of styles. While this format might seem overwhelming at first glance, children will pore over the pages. The collaboration of text and art makes the volume lively and humorous. The index is arranged by animal rather than by adage. This title is perfect for anyone who wonders about the meaning of everyday expressions, and it makes a good language reference tool. Readers might come to this book for a specific saying, but will find themselves captivated by the engaging text and great illustrations.

3. I Know Why I Brush My Teeth (Preschool)
Meet Sam, a regular kid who wants to know about the stuff every kid wants to know more about. And with a little help from his mom, Sam is going to explain it all! This entertaining and accessible series features bold, bright illustrations to make science understandable at a glance.

4. What do you do with a tail like this (Preschool)
explaining how to use the book, is followed by a double-page spread picturing the mouths of several different animals, accompanied by the question, "What do you do with a mouth like this?" The next spread shows each animal in full, explaining in a few simple words how the part functions. Tail, ears, nose, and eyes are covered in the same manner. A picture glossary at the back shows each animal again, postage-stamp size, with an informative note elaborating on the creature's special adaptation. The notes also neatly answer questions that might arise during a reading (Whydo horned lizards squirt blood out their eyes?) and add to the interactive aspect of the book. A variety of animals is represented--some (elephant, hippo, chimp) will be comfortably familiar; others (four-eyed fish, blue-footed booby) are of interest because of their strangeness. Jenkins' handsome paper-cut collages are both lovely and anatomically informative, and their white background helps emphasize the particular feature, be it the bush baby's lustrous, liquid-brown eyes or the skunk's fuzzy tail. This is a striking, thoughtfully created book with intriguing facts made more memorable through dynamic art.

Children will learn that lizards can completely break off their tail as a defense and that it will grow back. And, they'll find out that crickets' ears are on their knees. Most fish have two eyes, but some have four, the better to see above and below the water at the same time. These are just a few of the fascinating facts of nature dangled out front to draw readers into this beautifully illustrated book. On each spread, five different animals' tails, ears, eyes, or other body parts, done in vibrant cut-paper collage, appear with a simple question ("What do you do with a- like this?"). The next spread shows the five creatures in their entirety and offers a brief explanation. For example, "If you're an elephant, you use your nose to give yourself a bath." The back pages offer more information for older or more curious readers. This is a great book for sharing one-on-one or with a group.

5. Living Sunlight (K2 - P3)
the focus is photosynthesis and its connection to all living things. The sun continues to be the "star" of the show, narrating the lyrical text. The verse is a mix of fun and fact, explaining that "My light becomes the energy/for all life on Earth." Although the text goes on to connect the sun's energy to plants and then to animals and people, the explanations are quite a leap for the intended audience. Beautiful illustrations light up the pages and swirl across the spreads. Bright yellow outlines large green leaves, landscapes, and animals, radiating against the dark electric blue sky. Magnified close-ups of plant cells offer visual explanations of the process. However, they are more decorative than informative.

LIVING SUNLIGHT shows children, teachers, and parents the remarkable magic of what makes us human.This informative yet dramatic book will mesmerize readers and help further a child's understanding of the energy we share with all living things in nature. We are all dancing sunlight. The book is co-authored by award-winning M.I.T. professor Penny Chisholm, a leading expert on ocean science. A perfect addition to any library!

Living Sunlight talks to young children about photosynthesis (a vital process that most adults would be hard put to explain) in a way that tells what is actually happening at the molecular level. It also tells children why this process matters and leads them into a broad understanding of their personal connection with plant life and energy from the sun. The simple yet precise description of photosynthesis is admirable, but the broad explanation of its significance is exceptional. As in Bang’s picture book My Light (2004), the amiable, well-informed narrator is the sun. Alight with unusual intensity, the artwork fills the pages with vibrant images, whether showing a child on a swing surrounded by and infused with the sun’s energy or a rolling meadow teeming with diverse plants and animals. Visual themes such as waves of light, floating molecules, and the curving forms of trees, animals, and the earth itself recur on many pages, yet each double-page spread illustrates its lines of text with intelligence and originality. An outstanding book to read and absorb.

6. Hickory Dickory Dock (Preschool)
These familiar American songs are now in book form, accompanied by humorous and energetic illustrations. Sheet music is featured at the end of each lively book.

All in excellent condition as they r brand new.
Bought ard $12 each except I know why I brush my teeth at $16. Let go at $8 each n $10 for I know why i brush my teeth.

Collection is from Lakeside or Commonwealth mrt.

Pls email me at [email protected] as I don't check this thread regularly. tks

carousell_1443776925272_0.jpg

Back