Tonsil to be remove

My son also removed his tonsils n adenoids this may, then he was 5.5yrs old.

Did his op at NUH by Dr Lynne whom was a Director of ENT dept. I think which doc do the op is very impt. My son the next day, was alright already, jumping n playing, but talking not so clear.

Hope this helps, good luck

Hi coffeedrinker,

My son also removed his tonsils n adenoids when he is 3yrs old. Very safe and quite surprise when he can start eating after the operation thou not recommended by doctor.
happy.gif

Anyway, he did his at KKH and was discharge on the 3rd day. He is acting like normal after the operation except abit drownsy.

Hi coffeedrinker, he is fine n nothing changes. Mine is only a day-surgery, started at 12pm n we left hospital at 7pm.

Nothing to worry lah

Dear mummies

Need some advice here. Under wat circumstances do we need to remove adenoids or tonsils? Is the only symptom snoring?

Hi, do you know that tonsils is also one of the immune organs?
Just like spleen, bone marrow, appendix, etc.
Try to look for alternatives before resorting to surgery.
After tonsils are removed, the individual is more likely to suffer from upper respiratory infections.

Thot that most docs nowadays prefer not to remove tonsils if possible because the tonsils is your first line of defence against infection.

If you are prone to tonsilitis, you should opt for tonsillectomy procedure. Tonsilitis is part of upper airway. Upper respiratory tract infection predisposes to kidney disorders.
Tonsils has very minimal function to our body, and if you always had an infection, go for d surgery.

Hi coffeedrinker,
Still rembr me? Hope your boy is doing fine now. My gal had removed her andenoid 3 mths ago. Dr checked her tonsil ok so we just leave it.

Beginning of this yr, she always complained nose block when lying down & it got so bad at a point that even standing oso nose block! Quickly, I got an ENT Dr to examine her. Dr showed us the enlarged andenoid which had almost blocked her airway. That explains why she snores & drools a lot since young. After surgery, she sleeps better & I dun hear so much snoring from her. Anotgher interesting fact is, I saw a lot of similar cases in the clinic & they are all ard 5-6 yrs old.

Got a great video clip for u to view. Btw, my gal was done by another Dr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2l_-YUwOuY&feature=related

Hi all,

Doc recomended for by 4 y.o. boy to undergo the adenoid surgery. It's gg to take place next Monday. Really worried abou potential complications.

Any advise please?

Hi nerov,

What is the reason for surgery? Is it really necessary? Hv you done research in the Internet? For me, I wouldn't want my kids to go for any surgery.

Hi Cat,
My gal has recover from her surgery (Feb 2011). everything went fine.
I am happy with the decision to remove. she no longer snore and sweat as much as before, most importantly, she is happier as she can be like other kids eating chocloate, biscuit , cookies and pizza.

As a mother, It really makes me feel so hard pain when I hear her saying " mummy, it's my first time esting cookies, you know "

Hi all,

Just to update- the surgery went well. Though it took almost 2 weeks for a complete recovery.

Doc suggested for the surgery due to a persistent block nose and the x-ray showed that his airways are blocked due to enlarged adenoids.

It's been good since the surgery. No regrets, though the recovery was painful.

Hi Stanley, if your child is covered by insurance, rather u go for private. But restructured hospital definitely cheaper for Singaporeans.
The private surgeon's name is Dr. Pang Yoke Tein. Clinic at both Mr. E and Novena Medical Centre.

Hi

My 5YO gal has enlarged tonsils and was advised by ENT surgeon at KKH to have a surgery to remove them.

Anyone has heard of Dr Henry Tan KK from KKH? He is the one who is seeing my gal and recommended the operation. My gal has snoring problem.

Hi Jubaby

My girl also seeing Prof Henry Tan and was advised the same,
I mean to have a surgery to remove both tonsils and andenoids. I am very worried and wanted to find out from you have your girl went thru the surgery?

Hi Jubaby

My girl also seeing Prof Henry Tan and was advised the same,
I mean to have a surgery to remove both tonsils and andenoids. I am very worried and wanted to find out from you have your girl went thru the surgery?

Hi babyjan, lena_leow,
May I know did your child went for the surgery done by Prof Henry Tan? Are they recovering well?
My 3 yo also might hv the same problem with enlarge adenoids.

My son just went for tonsils and adenoids surgery done by prof henry tan yesterday. Prof tan is very kind and patient. He is very friendly with my son so makes my son feels at ease around him. I was in the operating room with my son while my husband was outside the waiting area but prof tan makes an effort to talk to my husband before the op. inside many nurses distracted my son by asking him to choose stickers and blow bubbles while the others try to put a needle in his hand and put in GA. When he is asleep, prof tan asked me to kiss him before I leave the operating theatre. After the op, I was allowed in the recovery room when my son was awake. He was very groggy and couldn't move his body even though he wants to because of the effect of the GA and felt pain in his throat and nose so was crying for at least an hour. We went back to his ward and the first thing he ate was soft vanilla ice cream provided by the hospital. He became so much better after that. No more crying but complained sore throat and we continue to feed him 3 small cups of ice cream before he took a nap. He even ate the whole bowl of porridge for dinner. Today he is going to be discharge and this 2 weeks he might still feel pain especially when the scabs from the tonsils are peeling. A part of healing process. But looking at him sleeping so soundly last night since a very long time. I feel it is worth it.

My boy removed his enlarged tonsils and andenoids when he was almost 3 - before that, he often snored and whenever he is down with flu, he has very bad blocked nose and will almost always puke after drinking milk. 1+yr after removing them, he no longer snore now and even his flu seems much less severe and he rarely puke milk. Although we were wondering if we had made the right decision back then when we see him suffering during/after operation and subsequently coughed out blood a week after the surgery and had to be hospitalised for observation, hubby and I now think that it has been one of the best decisions we made for him.

Hi, anyone whose kids went thru the tonsils and adenoids removal, were you able to claim insurance via the medishield plans i.e prushield etc? Thanks!

Hi raindrops, my kid removed his tonsil and adenoids when he was abt 2 plus. No more snoring, no more perpetual runny nose. Perpetual to me = use 1-2 boxes of tissues per day to wipe his mucus. Teachers in school thought he keeps falling sick but in fact it's his adenoids lol. All done in Kk by prof Henry.

Sputnik, all medical and hospitalization expenses claimed via insurance :):)

Hi Rubilite, so glad to hear that you managed to claim all expenses via insurance :) I've PMed you to ask you some questions, hope you don't mind :)

My 6 yrs old son was being referred to ENT KKH, and was advised to do Tonsillectomy &, Adenoidectomy, as he has enlarged adenoid and recurring sore throat, plus runny/blocked nose like forever except when on antibiotic. Not to mention that fact that he is a loud snorer. Sometime so bad that he would sit up in the middle of the night, or reflux which caused several episodes of night terror.
Anyway, we went for a 2nd opinion from a private ENT doctor, who found that my son also has fluid in both his middle ears as the adenoid was so large that it also blocked the holes in the throat that allow ear fluid to drain off. So we scheduled a surgery for Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy, Myringotomy with Tubes Insertion & Bilateral Antral Washout to resolve his issues once and for all.
My son woke up from GA crying for half an hr or so, which later we found out that it was due to fear as he tasted blood in his mouth.
Today is Day 6 since his surgery and he has yet complain of any pain. I hope it will stay this way. I was bracing myself after reading so many "horror" recounts. Hence I was pleasantly surprised that so far my son is acting as per normal, less the snoring. In fact he was already eating Aglio Olio (non-spicy) on the 2nd day. **He hated porridge. He has stopped taking paracetamol on day 3 or 4. Still as chatty and playful as usual. I am hoping that all will be as smooth sailing when it is time for the scrabs to come off.

@hokoh , my 4yr old girl also did tube insertion on one ear as betore the procedure realised one side the water subsidied.. Doc also recommend me to let her try the sleep clinic n let them monitor her before gg ahead with the tonsils removal. She snores daily but slightly loud. Is it really neccessary to remove it? Any side effects? I also tot that tonsils are there to fight the bacteria/mouth infection or something... Sigh..

Hi mummies, thanks for all the sharing here

After doing much research, I came to know that tonsils are important immune organ in our body. If possible, we would want to keep the tonsils as

"Given the strong biological and epidemiological evidence linking inflammation with coronary heart disease, one might anticipate that surgical removal of the tonsils and appendix, with the consequent effects on immunity, might also have a long-term effect on heart disease," said Dr. Imre Janzsky, lead investigator, in a statement about the European Heart Journal report."

Read more from the below:

http://healthywholesomefood.blogspot.sg/2014/05/parent-must-read-shall-my-kids-tonsils.html?m=1

Back