TOA PAYOH mummies

MTDT,

not u lah. Its my fren, then i go ask u one. hehe.
So how u really going to put him in pats ar? Not going to see any montessori school? Go lah hehe and tell me how they are.

Dor,
dun worry ya, children very fast adapt to new environment. Just be prepare that they tends to fall sick easier, but is passing phase. They just need to build their immunity.

Last time some old folks tell me, people who fall sick often, will tends to have milder condition. For those who seldom fall sick, when they fall sick is jia lat jia lat one.. haha i hear liao i tot ok i go fall sick often -.-

Ivy,
Thanks for your console.
Yes, am prepared for that and in fact immediately when school reopens she was dwn with fever and cough the 1st week liao sigh. Hopefully she'll build up her immunity.

Ivy

I do not send my girl to any academic enrichments. Glad that she has learnt a lot from the new school, Cherie Hearts. She enjoys Chinese especially.

hi there,

me also MIA for sometime. my boy had been coughing on new year, got well not too long ago then started again on sat. then today saw some rashes on my gal n doc confirmed hfmd. thank God my mum took urgent leave tday n she'll be bringing my gal to her plc for 1 wk recovery.

Dor,
my gal also starts rejecting milk once i weaned her off milk bottles.
she is 5 yrs old now, every day only drink 2 times, each only around 120ml, sometimes even cant finish.
especially in the morning, she always gives symptom like wanna puke..
i think similar as ur gal..as she has no problem with solid food at all.
i ve tried few brands, not so much improvement.
so i still let her take her pathetic dose, plus give her cheese and yogurt.

btw, i ve tried pediasure chocolate, sometimes she takes it, but sometimes also same rejection pattern..
i guess, we just need to be patient
happy.gif

Thanks mummies, for the advice on bathing. Am trying to fo away w tub as cc uses shower head not tub. Me still trying everyday and getting a little better these 2days. and hv just bought the 1st cane over the weekend! I m losing patience alr.

Jul
My gal at the branch at Ang mo kio, am fetching to and fro daily As no sch bus for half day kids to my area, hence desperately training her on showering so that van put full day.

Char
Hey, take care and rest as much as u can. Think age catching up and after 2nd one, body seems weaker. Still suffering fm aches at the pelvic as if still preggie

previous

I just realised I missed your post. So yours, ivy's and mine are all Aug 2009 babies!

ivy

Glad to hear that your gal's better now

MTDT

Your kids are in Montessori? Can you share on the benefits and cons?

dor

Dun think so much abt it & make yourself feel sad. Since your gal's in CC already, just concentrate on thinking positive & try your best to get her adjusted
happy.gif

char

Oh dear, yours also sick. Must be the bad weather too. Speaking of HFMD, reminds me of my bad experience of mis-diagniosed HFMD *grr*

surf

Oh AMK. Wah then very shiong to fetch to & fro. Znd you're gog back to work after maternity leave rigth?

Surf,
AMK which school? You not going to find a school in toa payoh?

Precious,
ya there is 2 things frens been telling me. If send to a good school with a lot of programs, then dun need to spend on those enrichment thingy. If the school is so so, teachers good but maybe not so much program, then sat just bring to some enrichment activity, also good for the kid and parents to bond during those activity. So am again again again haha still thinking.

Char,
oh dear, ur girl how old now?

Dor,
she will, just need time and will be siong for you, for awhile at least.

Jul,
so our kids all in the same yr primary one next time hehe.

Starlight74 & Precious,
Good tat your gal still take milk. Mine totally rejects drinks with dairy content sigh. Let her try Pediasure choc she also doesnt want. Now I have to switch between Milo and Oatly (choc).

Surf,
she's with Jessin childcare located nxt to my block very convenient. According to my hb which went to see her ystd her 1st day in cc, said the trs. are very organised and the portion of food served was generous 3 dishes + rice.

Jul & Ivy,
Yes, now I just hope she'll get adjusted soon.

Ivy

Weekends, I normally bring kids for outdoor activities (swim, kite, wet or dry playground), parties, lunch or dinner w their grandparents, church and family time. We try not to enroll any enrichments programs on weekends, unless it is necessary. From Mon to Fri, the children are having their learning
sessions in school, hence we find it healthy to let them relax and play on weekends then to make us parents, having to rush there, rush here to bring them for enrichments and yet have to plan their meals n nap time

Dor
Oh just read the previous post. Hope that her previous nanny is ok. How about evening time then? Your inlaws will go n fetch her from cc, and also prepare dinner for her?

Precious,
She's there for half a day after her school. Evening I'll fetch her after work and as for dinner luckily mil is preparing for both of us. But am thinking of preparing it my own. Any tips you can share? Hb brought a 3tier steamer but i have yet to do an 'open ceremony'. hee.

ivy,
my gal is 4yrs old.

as for my boy, he has been coughing quite frequently and has to be nebulised and now on antibiotcis cos of yellow phlegm. he got well not too long ago and then kena again. both kids sick really not easy. thankfully my gal is now under my mum's care for 1 week so not so siong on me. age is catching up, feel tired especially my lower back. and i'm so sleepy, how i wish i can sleep for 24hrs straight. :D

Dor

She goes to two schools? Acension for 3hrs and Jessin cc?
For the children's meal, I prepare very simple dishes for them, etc: pasta, porridge, fried rice, soup noodles, all in one pot dish

Hi jul,

And mine too! Aug09 baby!

Hi Dor,

U hv sent yr girl to Jessin childcare? I hv tot of sending my girl to their playgroup. Can share with us how do u find the school? How's the teachers & what's the curriculum like? Is there any outdoor play for the kids? Sorry for asking so many questions in 1 go but really need some advises. Thanks ya!

Precious,
Yes. Initially wanted to switch her to Jessin Nursery-Kindergarten but seeing that she has frens in Ascension and din want to do so much changes at one goal decided to let her continue maybe until later stage.

Winnie,
We'd went to Jessin @ blk 75 to view the place. It is rather small, Nursery and K1 at 1st lvl while K2 @ 2nd lvl. Occaionaly they'll have outdoor play but also depending on the weather condition. Enrichment course is packaged in for Nursery and Kindergarten. The teaching method is while balance i feel, there's a mix of montessori and acadamic base.
Jessin Childcare is @ Blk 122 lor. 2 hence after school Jessin's school bus will ferry the students from Blk 75 to Blk 122. No additional charge for bus fee.
I am paying SGD380 for half day cc student of jessin will be SGD330/mth. Full day is SGD450.

ivy

I also think abt the same issues as you! But I agree with precious that I don't really want to schedule any classes for my boy on weekends. It's too stressful, too time-consuming, too expensive, too much learning already. I want him to have some fun & childhood. I find the kids these days so poor thing - aws rushing from one enrichment to another

Aiyoh! Pls lah, I haven't settled pre-nursery & you're talking abt Pri 1 *stressed*

Aug 2009 babies

Any more?

1) ivy
2) winnie
3) precious
4) jul

winnie

If I'm not wrong, Jesin has 3 different locations. The playgroup is at a different place than the CC. It's the same location as the student after-school care.

Hi Dor,

I went to their website but din see the Blk 75. I only saw Blk 85B, Blk 141 & Blk 122. Also learnt tt playgroup will be held at Blk 122 (Jessin Playland & Educare). Correct me if I'm wrong. Din noe that u hv sent yr girl to Ascension too. In fact, that was 1 of my choices too but as it's a church based preshool, I was still hesitating whether to send my girl there. Comparing btw Ascension & Jessin, which 1 would u prefer? Teachers & curriculum wise which 1 is better?

Hi jul,

Yes, saw fm the website that Jessin has 3 locations so was asking Dor what's at Blk 75 cos I din get to see it on their website. Btw hv u shortlisted any preschools already?

Jul,
haha cos my girl dec baby, pple in play group, she still in infant care. Only primary one then same level... or kindergarten?
I also tot weekend better dun do any class, but i really dunno if im hardworking enuff to play activities, so i tot if got play gym lah, or drama thingy, art thingy, at least push/force me to bring her out for 1 hr or so of enrichment, then outside liao will go out and have other fun.

Tat day had a chat with my mom, she seems not very comfortable to take care of my girl even when she is older... so looks like i got to continue with childcare full day.

winnie,
apologise for the mistake it should be Blk85B cater for Nursery-Kindergarten. As for Blk122 they used to have playgrp but not sure now coz i tot it is more like a daycare centre. maybe you shld call them up and clarify.
Both hb and I prefer Ascension, somehow the env. and teaching is better. fyi, am non-christian in case u may think is due to religion tat i put my gal in A.

Actually,

can post some activities suggestion that i can do with my girl, she is so active now and most of the time, she just walk here walk there, take this take that, i chase her there here there haha.

Hi Dor,

Understand that the kids at Ascension will be taught to say some graces before meals & there's some bible related stories or teachings. As I'm a buddhism myself, was quite concern abt this issue as I'm afraid my girl will tune more to Christianity. Do u think this will happen?

Winnie,
My hb and I are buddhist as well. At times i'll see my gal acting as if she's saying graces but i guess no harm, anyway it teaches the child to appreciate the food they are being provided and show concern for their frens as well.
They are still at a very young age to understand what is religion hence no worries. Both hb and I are also prepared that our kids may not be following the same religion as us when they grow up as they might have their own mind set. Hence we view it with an open mind instead.

winnie

I also saw from the website that playgroup is at Blk 122.

I read some reviews on Ascension - a lot of complaints abt PAP (Pay & Pay). But it seems like Dor doesn't have this prob? I don't have an issue with it being a church kindy coz I'm a Christian.

I haven't really shortlisted. Just been asking ard & getting "names of kindys" from mummies. Coz I'm so suaku, I dun even know what kindys are there. One of the 'names' I got was Marymount Kidnergarten but it's a Catholic kindy so if u are not comfortable with it, then it's out for you.

I visited YKidz yest but they couldn't let me in as they said there are new students & I'd frighten them. So din get to see anything except hear the kids singing from outside the class. It's a very small place which Hubs likes coz he doesn't want our boy to get frightened by too many kids & chaos. It's possible to shcedule a trial class there to try out. One parent can sit in for those.

ivy

Bring her to the zoo? I just brought my boy there for the first time on Sat. Bought the annual membership somemore.

Yours is Dec? Aiyoh I thought Aug. *knocks hole-y brain*

My mum also had no patience or interest to take care of my boy.

Hi Dor,

Thanks for yr feedback. Referring to jul's post, does the school really makes the parents pay and pay?

Hi jul,

Will u be attending the trial class at Ykidz? If so, can share with us after attending? Thanks!
Ya..heard of the Pay & Pay issues also. I hv asked Dor to give us some comments.

jul,
hahaha, yes i do face the same prob but putting that aside overall it is still a good kindy. fyi, AK is among the first few popular kindy among others in the MOE list. That is also partly how i get to know this kindy while looking out.

winnie

I was intending to attend trial class at YKidz. Then at the PD's, he told me not to go for playgroup but to look for those 3h weekend enrichment class for my boy instead. I was so shocked. Until I didn't even ask him why. Now I'm not sure if I shd start my boy with playgroup
sad.gif

But YKidz is very convenient. My ILs stay sort of across the rd & a coupld of blocks away. And it's only 2h. There's vacancy there, so you may wanna hurry up if u're very interested.

sunny

I think Dor's gal attends Ascension in the am, then Jessin for half day CC.

sunny,
She is still studying in AK for her N2 but after school the school bus will send her to to Jessin for daycare service as my nanny not able to look after her since she needs to take care of her son who's ill.

Dor

What MOE list? There's a list? Aiyoh why didn't you say so earlier - then I can go down the list & strike out or shortlist kindys in Toa Payoh area! My poor white hairs.. Share leh
happy.gif

jul,
it was being posted in this thread b4 too. anyway here's the list happy viewing.
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/preschool/files/kindergarten-profile.xls
you may choose to sort by postal code for easy viewing.

Re: AK P&P
actually is almost the same as some kindy such as year end concert gotta pay for tix, costume (u get to keep it), their yearly magazine, enrichment course is not incld in the school fee, trs. day/staffs dinner (optional), 'report book', learning materials etc. Their costs are slightly higher compared to the rest.

Jul
There are not many ccs in TPY locations. I brought both my children (born 2006 and 2009) to more than 5 childcares (Thomson, Bishan, and TPY) before I decided on the Cherie Hearts in Kallang (10 min drive from my blk). Btw, there is also a Cherie Hearts in Kim Keat.

Ykids, I personally find the area too small.

Dor
Thank God she is taking school bus if not it would be quite inconvenient to send her to Jessin for daycare service. Would you be paying more for this case since you are sending her to two schools? I'm paying $830 (before subsidy) for each child, and $140 for school bus for each child too.

Dor

Thanks! So hard to see. Sob sob.. Being a parent is so not easy!

Is AK more expensive than St James? haha

precious

The place is very small right? At first I though put him there for 2h playgroup then go to pre-nursery next yr. But after my PD's comments.. I'm at a loss!

Jul
What reasons does the PD give? I believe PDs will not encourage parents to send their child to enrichment/cc at a young age, as there is higher chance to get 'virus' in school. Whether to fall sick often when they are in school, it has to depend on individual's immune system. One good thing about going to school, is to be able to keep to a routine, socialize. When both my children are home, they don't take nap at home, and they can be awake for more than 10hrs!

Dor
Once she enters into K1, it would be better to let her learn from one centre, instead of two centers? As teachers's teaching method are different, different book readers, different routine, different phonics method used etc. And K1 onwards, they would have more worksheets to do, homework to bring hOme

Jul
PDs always find it very convenient to hantam playgroups and CCs as the cause of all sicknesses (well, they can't very well blame or start questioning the hygiene practices at our homes or at grandma's right). I have yet to find a PD who doesn't make a face when I tell him/her that my kid is in CC.

Anyway, a PD is a PD not an educationist. Everyone has an opinion. And he/she didn't even offer a reason. So it seems to me that your PD is just voicing a personal opinion not a professional one.

Jul
About 10min drive depending on traffic condition. It took us v long to find a cc with AVAILABILITY for n1 this year. All cc nearby on wait list and I hv to race against time to put her in cc after I delivered then. We chose this cc bcos of its environment initially. Spacious outdoor area for activities. My gal enjoys outdoor so we went for landed property location since those in tpy alr full. Now I m also happy w the staff
there.

Actually, do consider tpy Methodist church kindy too. I registered but withdraw as we decided on cc instead for the longer hours that I can keep her away fm home!

Dor
This is interesting! I didn't know jessin has cc service! All along I tot it's a kindy like ak and marymount. Yes, these 2 also full by the time I called up.

Back