To working mummies: how do you go to work?

Hi! I’m posting this question because I never see anyone discussing about this before.

I’m currently 14 weeks pregnant and currently I’m taking mrt to work. Mine is first pregnancy so stomach still small so no one give up seat to me yet.

As my stomach will get bigger soon, I’m wondering should I take cab /uber / grab. I feel like I will be snatching their precious seat if I stand in front of them and show them my belly. Also, no one will be able to see me walking in during morning rush hour, since everyone is already squeeze to the door.

Then again it will be expensive to take private transport everyday.

Let me know what you guys think? How far along your pregnancy did someone first give up seat to you?

Thanks

Hi, i am taking MRT to work in the morning and evening time my hubby come fetch me bck home.

The first time ppl give me seat is when i am 4mths ba but also depends what i wear. Some ppl don’t give up seat even when i stand infront of them with a small bump.

I am currently 5months and also not all ppl give up their seats. Can see some act blur. Lol

Depends on individual as so far i don’t feel dizzy or fainting so i am ok to take MRT.

I am taking mrt to work and back home everyday.. No choice. Usually the train is so packed that I can't even stand in front of the seats. Unless i feel like very tired, then i take Grab/Uber.

Hi, i am taking MRT to work in the morning and evening time my hubby come fetch me bck home.

The first time ppl give me seat is when i am 4mths ba but also depends what i wear. Some ppl don’t give up seat even when i stand infront of them with a small bump.

I am currently 5months and also not all ppl give up their seats. Can see some act blur. Lol

Depends on individual as so far i don’t feel dizzy or fainting so i am ok to take MRT.

Thanks for replying. That’s not very nice of them. 5 months should be already very obvious. What time do you usually board the mrt in the morning? Isn’t it even difficult to get a seat compared to in the evening?

I am taking mrt to work and back home everyday.. No choice. Usually the train is so packed that I can't even stand in front of the seats. Unless i feel like very tired, then i take Grab/Uber.
Thanks for replying. So you will try to stand in front of those priority seats and see if they will let you seat? Let’s say Out of 10 times usually how many times do you get a seat?

Thanks for replying. That’s not very nice of them. 5 months should be already very obvious. What time do you usually board the mrt in the morning? Isn’t it even difficult to get a seat compared to in the evening?

Yes it’s very obvious now. Haha.

I need to take LRT follow by MRT. Board LRT at 7.15am bah.

Hi, This is good one to share :)

When I had my #1, I seldom took taxi unless I very tired. I don't get seat too, sometimes was offered, and sometimes an angel approached the people to give their seat for me. I also often skip trains due to peak period, but have to wait longer. Since that, I talked to my boss to change my working hours. I either start work at 7am and end at 4pm or start at 10am and end at 7pm.

My daily travel: LRT - MRT - BUS.

Even I was on my 7th/8th month of pregnancy, Still I didn't get seat. Some people either act busy playing games or act sleeping. I encounter few times been push when I want to board the train. As if they can't see us. End up I decided to get my dad to fetch me home as and when his on the way back on same timing as me. No Choice, climb the high stairs that big truck have. With my good big belly.. hahaha!!

It's not easy for us.. When this been viral, some people will comment "get a cab", as if they are the one who pay for us. Overall, Don't put all this negative in your heart. Try to avoid as much as possible as it's not good for baby too :)

Hi, This is good one to share :)

When I had my #1, I seldom took taxi unless I very tired. I don't get seat too, sometimes was offered, and sometimes an angel approached the people to give their seat for me. I also often skip trains due to peak period, but have to wait longer. Since that, I talked to my boss to change my working hours. I either start work at 7am and end at 4pm or start at 10am and end at 7pm.

My daily travel: LRT - MRT - BUS.

Even I was on my 7th/8th month of pregnancy, Still I didn't get seat. Some people either act busy playing games or act sleeping. I encounter few times been push when I want to board the train. As if they can't see us. End up I decided to get my dad to fetch me home as and when his on the way back on same timing as me. No Choice, climb the high stairs that big truck have. With my good big belly.. hahaha!!

It's not easy for us.. When this been viral, some people will comment "get a cab", as if they are the one who pay for us. Overall, Don't put all this negative in your heart. Try to avoid as much as possible as it's not good for baby too :)
Thanks for sharing! Great to hear that there are still some people who are willing to help pregnant ladies ask for a seat. Hopefully I will meet some angels too on the mrt.

When I was at 14 weeks, my belly was still too small and like all the above replies, everyone act blur. I find taking the bus easier than MRT. Most days I'll try to wake a little earlier so I can have a quiet ride to work. It takes about 40 mins for me. On particularly harder days, I will just grab/cab cause it's just too much hassle to fight over space in the MRT.

I took the MRT to work. When it became more dangerous and tiring to stand, I started to verbally ask for seats instead of waiting for someone to give up theirs for me. My rationale is very simple. My baby's life is in my hands. Who can I blame if I ended up hitting my tummy or falling down, just because I was paiseh.

Insofar, many Singaporeans had been nice enough to give up their seats to me. And to those who asked, "you are pregnant meh?", I replied firmly but politely, "Yes, I am. XX no. of months."

Don't be paiseh. If something happens to you, you will blame yourself, not the fellow commuters.

is grab or uber better?? my friend said grab has a better insurance policy, maybe that's safer

Hello! Just to give a update on this. Currently I’m 23 weeks. Near to 6 months. When I go to work, my husband will usually drop me at queenstown mrt and I take a short mrt ride to my work place. Going home I usually will take grab hitch to my husband working place because nearer than my house. A little bit cheaper than going to my house. Grab hitch because it’s almost one third the price of I take normal taxi.

On mrt, still no one give up seats to me. Because the train is always full. No one can see me.

Hello! Just to give a update on this. Currently I’m 23 weeks. Near to 6 months. When I go to work, my husband will usually drop me at queenstown mrt and I take a short mrt ride to my work place. Going home I usually will take grab hitch to my husband working place because nearer than my house. A little bit cheaper than going to my house. Grab hitch because it’s almost one third the price of I take normal taxi.

On mrt, still no one give up seats to me. Because the train is always full. No one can see me.

Not that no one can see you, it's just that no one bother to give a seat cause everyone are tired. But they forget, pregnant mum more tired cause we already worked same like them yet we carry another body in us (adding weight). If you want, you can also ask them politely for a seat. :) I never tried cause I heard too much news about this. Maybe I myself no confident in asking. hehe!

So I usually will take public before or after peak hours. I can't afford to be push again and again. I'm only 19weeks yet the feeling of tired, no energy, sleepy and lazy are very strong. Way different from my #1.. haha!

I am coming to #36 weeks and take public transport to work most of the days and hub will fetch me from work.

I stand most of my 1st tri but i am ok with it as i don't have much morning sickness and no tummy to show.
During 2nd tri, just nice was the holi season, lesser crowd but i still stand cos no tummy to show.

Now in my last tri, pp start to give up their seats automatically especially if i make a beeline to the reserved seat sign.
I need to change 3 mrts everyday (NSL - EWL - CCL) to work. I also don't particularly like to ask pp to give up their seats for me... so normally i just stand around the reserved area. Sometimes i meet nice pp who will ask other pp to give up their seat for me, somtimes the SMRT staff will spot me and get a seat for me. I leave house super early also so I don't bump into the usual morning crowd, will wait for another mrt if the train is packed so at least i walk in, pp can see that i am pregnant. haha

I also don't bear to spend so much $$ on private transport everyday.

If you are working in town, can consider those private bus like beeline or something? i think depending on the no. of paxs sharing that line, sometimes the fare is around $2-5/ trip. My office area don't have the capacity so the trip is quite ex for me.

Can also try grab hitch which is the cheapest option for private transport.

Hello I'm currently into my #20 weeks and still no baby bump plus I walk to MRT and from Pasir Ris travel to Kent Ridge for my first oso not many people will give up seats. Like alot been mentioned. Either playing game or act sleeping. But I think that there's a SMRT introduction of this care sticker that preggies can ask for? http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ue-lines-to-promote-better-commuter-behaviour

SINGAPORE - Pregnant women, senior citizens or other passengers in need are now able to request "care stickers" aimed at making it easier for them to get a seat.

I had an ex colleague that did that when she's feeling rather under the weather and the traffic is horrible so it's better to be in public transport and they will provide her with the sticker (= Worth a try!

I used to take bus at bukit panjang to orchard road for my first pregnancy.. sometimes really no person will give up their seat at the Journey is quite long esp when jam... bus driver won’t care although there can see I’m standing.. And I will feel angry and sad..

Most of the time I will ask for a seat, it is my responsibility to protect my baby and myself.. bus driver always drive very fast and suddenly brake..

In take mrt, if no ppl offer, I won’t ask for seat then.. still manage to balance myself by holding to the hand grab :D

I am coming to #36 weeks and take public transport to work most of the days and hub will fetch me from work.

I stand most of my 1st tri but i am ok with it as i don't have much morning sickness and no tummy to show.
During 2nd tri, just nice was the holi season, lesser crowd but i still stand cos no tummy to show.

Now in my last tri, pp start to give up their seats automatically especially if i make a beeline to the reserved seat sign.
I need to change 3 mrts everyday (NSL - EWL - CCL) to work. I also don't particularly like to ask pp to give up their seats for me... so normally i just stand around the reserved area. Sometimes i meet nice pp who will ask other pp to give up their seat for me, somtimes the SMRT staff will spot me and get a seat for me. I leave house super early also so I don't bump into the usual morning crowd, will wait for another mrt if the train is packed so at least i walk in, pp can see that i am pregnant. haha

I also don't bear to spend so much $$ on private transport everyday.

If you are working in town, can consider those private bus like beeline or something? i think depending on the no. of paxs sharing that line, sometimes the fare is around $2-5/ trip. My office area don't have the capacity so the trip is quite ex for me.

Can also try grab hitch which is the cheapest option for private transport.
Hi! I tried to find beeline and share transport or something but their routes and time doesn’t match mine.

Ok next time I try to stand near reserved seat area. Thanks!

Hello I'm currently into my #20 weeks and still no baby bump plus I walk to MRT and from Pasir Ris travel to Kent Ridge for my first oso not many people will give up seats. Like alot been mentioned. Either playing game or act sleeping. But I think that there's a SMRT introduction of this care sticker that preggies can ask for? http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ue-lines-to-promote-better-commuter-behaviour

SINGAPORE - Pregnant women, senior citizens or other passengers in need are now able to request "care stickers" aimed at making it easier for them to get a seat.

I had an ex colleague that did that when she's feeling rather under the weather and the traffic is horrible so it's better to be in public transport and they will provide her with the sticker (= Worth a try!
Ooh I heard about the sticker thing before but I thought no more already because I didn’t hear any more news about it. Can try.

I used to take bus at bukit panjang to orchard road for my first pregnancy.. sometimes really no person will give up their seat at the Journey is quite long esp when jam... bus driver won’t care although there can see I’m standing.. And I will feel angry and sad..

Most of the time I will ask for a seat, it is my responsibility to protect my baby and myself.. bus driver always drive very fast and suddenly brake..

In take mrt, if no ppl offer, I won’t ask for seat then.. still manage to balance myself by holding to the hand grab :D
Hey I would also feel angry and sad too. Bus is even rockier than Mrt. But I will tell myself don’t need to feel sad la and try to make myself think that maybe those sitting down are tired too..

Hey I would also feel angry and sad too. Bus is even rockier than Mrt. But I will tell myself don’t need to feel sad la and try to make myself think that maybe those sitting down are tired too..

Ya.. at later stage I tried to calm myself down and tell myself, forget about it.. no point to angry and affect my mood cox of them.. :D

Back