Tiong baru/telok blangah/bt merah 2006-2007 babies n mummies

Hi Springdance,
I would prefer a kindergarten as is shorther hours. I've to go tutoring in the evening so if i send him to childcare, i will not be able to really get to bond with him in the day. Indeed Faith is pretty secreative about their lesson plan. I asked for a model time-table during registeration and they are not able to provide. Requested to meet up with the teachers but got feedback as is during the holidays, teachers will only be back during certain days for meeting and have no time to meet up. sigh...
Before Faith called, my husband and i had decided to enrol our boy into JHS Montessori but since Faith called and is a cheaper option, we enrolled him into Faith. Not sure if is the right choice or not. haiz...

amy

faith kindergarden is it a christian based school? cos it sounds like one.

i have sms you about the meet up, awaiting ur reply.

Yes indeed it is a christian based school. Well, had a little argument with hubby last night and finally mangaged to come to terms to withdraw Avel from Faith and enrol him into JHS noon session. Just called Faith to inform on the withdrawal and was told i can take back only the deposit with $100 deducted! Registration fees and fees paid for the insurance, books and worksheet for the whole year will not be returned!!! X#@$!%&!*!
sad.gif

Clarrisa
Hmm... I think St James is kinda far from Novena? Think might not be a good idea for Ricco to travel to & fro there daily...moreover, I understand that the school intake is on wait-list already? Or you have already secured a place there?

Actually, I think there are alot of good schools in Thomson area which is near Novena...like Chiltern House, Pat's, Etonhouse or even Marymount Church Kindy....which you can also consider as well.
happy.gif

Amy
I have yet to decide on the CC or Kindy for my boy yet... but he has so far attended the Busy Buddies playgroup class on Sats...next I am going to try out Julia Gabriel billingual playgrp ...also keen on Little Neutro Tree...joining only Sat classes at the moment. 5-day school probably will start mid of year 2009.. so now is currently "researching" about them.
happy.gif

Is JHS good? I think it's opened by a Buddhist temple or charity organisation or something like that?

Hi Mummies, I’m a new here, hope you all dun mind I join in.

I'm a mother 2. My elder daughter born in March 06 and the second daughter born in July 07. My #1 is going to CC at learning seeds (In PSA Club House) on Jan 09. Initially wanted to place her in St. James as the environment is quiet good, everything is natural. The tress, the birds and they even have squirrels running around. Further more they have their own swimming pool for the kids. However it has a SUPER long waiting list. Only those kids who born this yr need not go under the waiting list. Imagine have to register 3 yrs ago :p Haiz.... Anyway, just wanna try my luck and placed them under the waiting list in 2010. Mean time just has to wait.

I have brought my #1 to JG last yr. Attended their bilingual class in forum. It was quite fun, my gal love it
happy.gif
Personally, I think it is more for children interaction. Playing with kids who are around the same age as them. Play Play Play…. As long as they are happy, we will feel happy too
happy.gif

Hi Springdance,
I heard alot of +ve feedbacks on JB and had enquired on it b4. Is pretty ex for daily classes! Guess i'll send my boy in when he's older for enrichment classes.
I like JHS environment;bright and airy. Very responsive teachers too. Although it is opened by a buddhist temple but they have no religon teachings at all. Went to take a look before the holiday and was pretty impressed that Pre-N students already know how to write their alpahets and numbers. And nursery students learning how to write words! My mind is at ease to know that i'll be sending Avel there.
happy.gif

Hi Icey,
Wow! 2 kids with such a close gap! I wanted to have also but no luck and then have to stop trying to skip the year of mouse as my hubby claimed that mouse crashes with his horoscope! Is it difficult to handle 2 at a time. I'm already pulling my hairs at times with just one and i cant imagine 2! But i guess is pretty good as they will have companion.

amy
ur hubby claimed mouse clashed with his horoscope? wow! nvm try for a little ox then. My second son will be a little ox, hehe

RANDAL'S 1ST DAY AT SCHOOL
today is the day! HIs first day at school . I brought him in, then he had breakfast the first thing. He was enjoying his breakfast as i was there feeding him. The teachers was sitting by his side whilst he was eating and told me that i can slowly try to ease out, while they try to distract him.

After he finished his breakfast, the teachers brought him to wash his hands, and went into the music class for music lessons. He was fine as he loves music and was distracted by it. So he forgot i was not there, and happily singing and dancing away to the music.

Then when the music lessons stoped, and the children all Q to come out of the class, he suddenly remembered!! He remembered that I was not around and began frantically looking for me and started crying, "Mama carry Mama carry.... sob sob sob...."

I thought of ignoring him, but since he was crying so pitifully, and it was his first day, i went over and carry him. Then he kept clinging to me like a koala bar, who whouldn't lose his grip. So i accompany him go into the softgym area , and he started playing with the toys there. He was distracted after awhile of playing with the toys, and i told the teacher, i will sneak out without him seeing. Then after a while, he realised I was not there anymore, and started crying again "mama carry , mama carry.... sob sob sob..."

But this time i just ignored him, and hid at a corner. I realised this time was better!! He just cried a short while and not that loud anymore, and the teacher carry him and managed to calm him down. So his cries turned into a whimper , compared to the first time he was crying.

Then the teacher brought him to bath, and i went out for my lunch. When i came back, he was freshly bathed, and looked quiet. Then when he saw me again, ask me to carry him again, and cried again.. "mama carry mama carry, sob sob sob....." Then kept on saying "BYE BYE" to the teachers, he was so eager to say "BYE BYE" to them. Really funny, must be can't wait to leave the place! Then i brought him home. (only attended half day cos 1st day)

But i realised each time is better, so we will try again tomolo! Then when we reached home, i explained to him that mama leaves for a while to go toilet (haha..) later will come back and fetch him. He gave me a pitiful look, but seems to understand.

Tomolo shall see how it goes..

Thats my longgggg story, hehehe....

Amy
Not too sure about the price for daily class at JG..but I know their pre-school "Chiltern House" is one the the branded and more pricey school in SG...

Esther
Sounds like Randal did not too bad for first day at school wor... Think he might be able to adapt to school fully within maximum one week. JIA YOU!

Sunshine
You can visit JHS Montessori website for more info: www.jhsmontessori.com

Hi Esther,

Ya, sound like R did not fare too badly. Think he will adapt soon. Oh...didn't know they bath the childrens? aiyo...think my girl will scream like mad if stranger bath her, not to say carry ah! Guess i will hv problem if i sent her to childcare later as lately she's very sticky to me, wants to sit on my lap, lean against me.

jessica
u are the sole care giver for shannon, so naturally she will be very sticky to u. ya childcare will bath the kids, cos its a full day programme.
so maybe letting her attend the LNT classes is good for her, so she will be more exposed.

Hi Esther,

So R will also attend LNT class next Jan, right? Thanks for referring me! Understand u signed up at JE branch, how come not bugis as it is nearer leh? Ha! R. will be busy liao. Does R likes music? cause LNT got music flashcard n Shannon likes it a lot...dance some more!

jessica
oh R loves music a lot! to the extennt that he forgot his mama was not around him... haha...
NO problem, let u enjoy the LNT benefits is better than not utilising it right?
whats the music flashcards about? Is it part of the lessons? or its another programme altogether that requires us to sign up?
Yes R will attend his first lesson at LNT in january 09

springdance
yes I hope randal will adapt very well soon! thanks !
happy.gif
happy.gif

icey and sunshine
hihi, and welcome to the thread, hope u can join us for chats more often

Hi Luvbebe,

Thank you
happy.gif
Actually I'm interested to put my gal in LNT too but have to make a trip down to bugis and find out more first. Do they still have the promotion?

Hi Amy,

Ya... Is quite tired sometime. But I’m considering lucky as my mother in law is helping me during the day time when I’m working.
happy.gif
Have you decide which CC already?

Hi SpringDance,

Ya.. i think so... Considering quite ex. Rmb I paid $550 per term. Once a week.

Hi Esther,

I think that was an interesting experience that you will nvm forgets. I'm looking forward to mine in 2 weeks time. - My gal first day in sch
happy.gif

Esther,

yap, the music flashcard is part of the lessons. They will play the nursery song and flash the picture cards at the same time. Hope to hv swimdate with u n R next week!

Hi Esther,

Ya. His logic! Horse and Rats will never click! So we waited till half year of rat then try and till now still no luck! Just keep my finger cross! So Randal going to be a big brother soon? Thats so cool! Congra! Today is a real good experience for mother and child! Im looking forward to bring Avel to school in Jan! But my hubby told me not to go just in case i cant bear to let him cry! lol.

Anyway, whats LNT? An enrichement? Sound like Randal is going to be very busy attending school and classes!

Hi Sunshine,
Do let me know if you need any directions! Currently theres no vancancy for the morning session but there are still vancancy for the noon session. It is from 1 to 5pm.

Hi Icey,
Does your in laws stay with you?I've decided to put Avel into JHS!
happy.gif
a 4 hours kindergarten as my working hours are only from 5.30pm to 9pm. So, there's no need to put him in a childcare else i cant see him much!

spring - yes i have secured a place at st james. kind of far but i guess I can ferry him to and fro thus, not a major problem
happy.gif
for montessori, you usually will have to queue. otherwise, you make do with the afternoon session. I am securing a place at novena too.

Jessica
Shannon so cute! Can dance with music flashcards...my boy does not have any inclination towards music lei... but the kids dance & sing in class (busy buddies), he will walk away and play toys alone....quite anti-social...Signzzz.....

Esther
If I decide to sign my boy up for LNT...I can refer you too.
happy.gif

Just provide them with Randal's name only rite?

Amy
Congrats for finding your ideal school for Ave. So he is in the morning session (half day) I suppose? What's the monthly fee like?

Oh...you work in the evening? Doing retail & sales?

Clarissa
Since you are able to ferry Ricco to & fro daily, then the choice of schools will be much more wider...that's really good.
happy.gif

I read that St James' has their own swimming pool? Is it a kids' waddle pool or something?

Many thanks Amy & SpringDance.
happy.gif

BTW, can anyone offer advise any difference for kids who are send to PAP & childcare center for kindergarten edu?

Recently, have feedback that PAP adopts more of the drilling method as such kids tend to adapt to the primary school system easier than those from childcare.

While in CC, as some of the classes are in smaller size, the children get more attention from their teachers and also the lessons are conducted in slower pace. As such, some of these children tend to have difficulties in adopting when start P1.

Is that true? Thanks.

icey
ur kid starting school in 2 weeks time... cool... must keep us posted of the experience ok

jessica
oh then randal will surely enjoy it when he start his lessons in january 09. Ya next week i more free laio, so just come over for swimdate!

amy loh
LNT stands for little neuro tree. its a little like shichida method of teaching. It also conducts its lessons in 3 languages. SO i chose english, mandarin, japanese. I understand that kids below the ages of 3 can absorb languages super well and fast, so just sign him and let him try try.
Hey i only knew the cartoon characeter is PLUTO, not GOOFY, after u told me leh... ALl the while,i thought its name was goofy, hahaha...

sunshine
looking fwd to seeing u here!

springdance
great, if u sign up, do remember to refer me ok. Must give them the full name and the branch randal is studying in. His full name is Randal Sim Yu Siang, and his branch is jurong east branch

amy
not to go to ur son's first day in school?
how to? U will definately want to go and accompany him and help him thru this transition period.
The first day when i see him crying away,i also feel like crying lor. but must control and keep strong. Imagine the teachers there seeing me cry, aiyoh paiseh...

RANDAL's SECOND Day at school
today dunno why he cry more then 1st day? Maybe he knew that i will leave him there. sigh.. Shall see how it goes tomolo.

Ester,
Sure... Will share more when the time comes
happy.gif

Amy,
My MIL has just moved over to my place. Finally, I’m able to see my kids everyday.

Springdance
I dun think so. The pool looks deep to me. Couches are not from St James sch and they are specially train to teach those children.

hihi gals

long long time no post...

sigh...very suay thing happened to me early this mth... my bag got stolen in ntuc... so my wallet, ic, cr cards, hp etc all gone.... also my savings passbook as i went to update passbooks that day... super suay...
blame myself for being too careless... haiz haiz haiz..

then busy with xmas shopping & wrapping presents... just celebrate ryan's & my bd last sat...hehehe.. ...nothing much lar, just a small one with family...
can refer to my boy's blog for pictures: http://ryanchl.blogspot.com

jessica,
see lar... till now i still havent jio u for kopi at ikea yet... hahaha...
soon soon... but seems like dec quite packed... heehee..

esther, jessica,
swim date next wk?? when?? i see if i able to join...

esther,
happy belated bd to randal! he is doing very good on his first day at school...
i doubt my boy wld be this good... i shudder to think abt it...
& this lazy mummy have not even decided on a school yet... stressed liao...

hi icey, sunshine, amy,
welcome!!

do PM me ur details so i can add u to our contact list, ya??

1) nick
2) real name
3) no. of children & name & dob
4) where u stay
5) hp no.
6) FTWM or SAHM

Hi Springdance,

Avel is supposed to be in the morning session, but they managed to find someone to fill up the vancancy after i called to withdraw. So i have no choice but to go for the noon session. Avel usually sleeps pretty late and wakes up pretty late too. So i have no worries that he needs a nap. The morning session is @ $1550 per term while noon session is @$1350. Im a tutor operating my home-based tution centre in my mum's house. Had convereted a room for tuition. ;)

Hi Sunshine,
Different PAP practise different standard of teaching. I have a K2 student who will be P1 next year studied in a PAP. However, the teachers in that PAP is very inresponsible that most of the time, my student was playing lago and doing colouring. No much spelling or so. That is why his mum send him to me early this year with fear that he cant cope well in primary. However, luckily he has his aunt to push him to do work and read story books at home, thus, he has no problem in catching up also. So, if you wana sent your child to PAP, do make sure you check around for feedbacks first. As for CC kindergarten, since it is a CC, they will be there the whole day so their activities will involve not only the 3 basic subjects (Eng,Maths, Chinese) but also play time (role play, music and movements,outdoor walk, etc.) depending on individual CC. I feel that if you are a SAHM, there's no need to send child to CC but maybe u can consider church kindergarten or a montessori.

Hi Esther,
I'm considering to send Avel for some weekend enrichment classes after he settle down in JHS. Does parents need to be around during lesson?
I had lost touch of cartoon characters too and only get to review all of them after giving birth to Avel! lol... I dont even know what Thomas and friends and Barney in the past!!! hahah...

As for attending Avel's first day of school with him,my hubby always says "Just leave him to the teachers and he will get use to it faster than we being around!" He even suggested that we leave him at our friend's place a few hours to get him prepared for those times that he will be in school without us!

Hi Nana,
Viewed Ryan's blog and realise we shared the same birth dates!!! Cheers! ;)

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the feedback.
happy.gif

I'm a FTWM and have intended to put my boy; he's 2+ yrs old now, into CC. I have been looking around Tiong Bahru area, so far can't really find one that I like. Find that these CCs are either run-down, under-staff or the teachers do not seem committed. Really a headache to find a good CC.

Esther
Yes Mdm! Will remember to give Randal's name if we sign up.
happy.gif

Nana
So long never hear from you...and sorry to know that your wallet's been stolen...think this is the festive season alot of thiefs lurking around...best time to "attack" and cash in! Need to be more careful in future. You got make police report?

How is Ryan? He started school yet? Or you considering which school to send him?

Amy
Wow...you are a tutor full-time? Hmm...actually why you dun consider home-based teaching for Avel then? One to One exclusive!

Hmm...one term at JHS equivalent to how many months? Do they follow Singapore school holidays or have to attend school for all months. I know most montessori will have holiday program during Singapore official school holiday period so means that the kiddo will still need to go back. Even dun go back also have to pay!

Sunshine
How about CS Montessori at Tiong Bahru Plaza? You can give them a visit...

spring - the choice is more but i cant be sending him all over the island
happy.gif

i think they are using the aquaducks pool if i am not wrong..now sure that pool is owned by aqua or st james?

Hi Sunshine,
Maybe you can consider abit further. CC is pretty limited in Tiong Bahru area. In our estate, i think Safra is a good one and is afforadable also. My hubby's clients' children are in that school and have very +ve feedbacks but they have a long waiting list! Else, you might like to consider Sparkletots at the community centre in between Commenwealth MRT and Queenstown. My friend used to teach there and told me is pretty ok.

Hi Springdance,
yup. A FT tutor. As Avel is my only child and he has no cousins or so around his age. The only alternative to let him mix around is to send him to school. And at times, do need a little break away from him to charge up, else energy will drain super fast!! hee hee...
1 term is usually = 10 weeks. Most schools will follow the s'pore school system except for international schools.

Went to JHS today to make payment and chatted with the teacher for close to 2 hours while Avel is happily exploring the place with another teacher. Hope he'll be like this when school starts too! Cheers!

amy
yes parents do need to be around for most weekend enrichment classes, maybe u can check with the individual schools
woh u are a full time tutor! impressive! were u a school teacher before? most school teachers leave their jobs to become full time tutors, and the returns can be better!

nana
ya long time never see u , u busy? sorry to hear about the pickpocketing incident! we really must be careful and wary of people trying to get near us in public places!

sunshine
CS montessori is NOt a childcare. its like a weekend enrichment class for little children. But they do have daily playgroup sessions, but the rates are definately not cheap, and the place is kinda small n cramped. I have been there to take a look a month ago. That time was thinking of signing up randal for weekend classes. Maybe u also pop by their place to take a look when u are free.

Randal's progress in school
Hey mummies, i realised that now, my son has quite bad seperation anxiety from me! Before he sleeps in the night, he will keep calling out "mama carry, mama carry... " Then hang around near me.
Then in the middle of the night, (in his dreams) he will also call out "mama carry , mama carry..."
Then today we went to Daiso, suddenly he turned around and never see me, and he went frantic!
Aiyoh.. this poor boy, i think now he is feeling very insecure cos of the new schooling experience.
Sigh.... I feel a bit bad that he has to go thru this.. Hope it passes soon, and that he realises that i will come and fetch him up after school, and school is meant to be a play and learn time for him.

Hi Esther,
Nono, im not a school teacher but had been tutoring since poly years (was doing part time then). Started off full time just a year plus before settling down and that was like 4 years back. Nowadays not only children are hard to handle,parents are also in the list! They will tend to just leave their child's results to the tutors. Some parents will expect their child to improve tremendously after attending not even a month of lessons.Some dont even bother to monitor their child's improvement and will only start pressuring for more lessons and good results a week before exams!Well...there are just all sorts of parents around! Sometimes will just wonder how will i react when my kid started primary school! hee hee..

Guess i'll drop by bugis after Avel settled down in school. Poor Randal, guess he must be feeling tramautised. Does he have any favourite cartoon character? Maybe you can try putting a small one in his pocket, telling him that this little friend of his will accompany him to school and when he finishes school, it will grow big to play with him? Then you take the bigger version to pick him up when the school end. During sleeping time, put his big friend beside him and change it to the small one in the morning to let him bring to school (or something like that). I have yet tried this out before but had been thinking of ways to comfort Avel if he reacts negatively towards school. Have been talking to him everyday about school..teachers....friends. Hope this will help. But sad to say....i cant be with him for the first day of school as i have class to attend too.
sad.gif
His dad prepared just to leave him there and goes back if only the teacher calls. The teacher suggested that too! Saying it will be faster for him to adapt. It will confuse him if 1st day daddy, mummy in school with him but 2nd day...daddy and mummy not around. So many things to worry being a mother isnt it and yet is fun being one too! hahhaha...

Sunshine
You considering only Tiong Bahru for CC? How about River Valley, Telok Blangah or Outram area? If you dun mind any these areas, then the choices are quite a lot. You can refer to this link for the list: www.childcarelink.gov.sg.

Amy
WOW...the teacher whom you met must be really nice. Just curious, are the principal & teachers there all Chinese?

Next time when Avel needs tutoring, you can teach him liaoz...save $$ & sure to be very dedicated! Kekek....

Esther
So sorry to hear about the traumatic phase that Randal is going through now... I think my boy will be worse when he goes school. You still remember he super shy rite? I also dunnoe what to do when the time comes...very heartpain just imagining it already.

hello hello people,

esther - randal will be OK. just a matter of getting used to. you should just leave him and go home
happy.gif
go back for him afterwhich. i know its hard, but they have to learn somehow. i place ricco at gracekids drop off, he cried for 1 hr than bobian, settle down to play already
happy.gif

spring - quickly expose jonas more! yes still remember that he needs sometime to warm up!

luvbabe - nice meeting briefly. hey meet next time after your boy's class! i will shop for an hr wait for you
happy.gif
than we can lunch tog? and catch up!

Hi mummies,

May i join this thread? im staying in bukit merah area n i hav a 2yr old tot.. =)

Hav anyone tried Zion Babies at Deport road? any feedback?

Rosabel
I have went zion babies at depot road to check them out. Nice place n quite spacious, but no more vacancy laio, and have to be placed on waiting list, and dunno how long u need to wait.

They are usually full because the zion babies (infant care) will transit to zion kids (childcare) and priority will be given to them.

Esther,
Read abt randall encounter w sch. it's learning stage loh, and yes, they will hv bad dreams everynite during the initial stage. But i believe randall will outgrow it. Also, remember to talk to him more often abt the good and positive things that happen in school. That will motivate and encourage him.

amy, springdance, clarrisa, mist
thanks for the encouragements! Ya some children need more time to adjust, some need less. The teachers told me some of the kids only cried for 2-3 days then stop laio, and are quite happy. I hope randal also will adapt soon

clarrisa
u place ricco at gracekids drop off programme? Its a once a week thing?

amy
ur suggestion of the small n big cartoon character sounds good! He likes winnie the pooh and friends cartoon characters. Maybe shall give it a try.

mist
how long ur boy take to adapt to school?

Clarissa
Actually I have always been bringing Jonas out on weekends and on weekdays, his grandpa will occasionally bring him to the playground downstairs. Dun understand why he is still so shy...

But of course, all the outings are accompanied...so I guess if we start to drop him off in school, that's when the big challenge will start for him & us!

Esther
Sincerely hope Randal can adapt realli soon... by the way, I'll need your encouragements & tips too when it's my turn...
happy.gif

Hi all,
Long time no post liao... Tho on leave, am even more busy than work. Came back to work already after 2 weeks' break! Damn tired!

Esther,
Sorry to hear about R experience in childcare! Really hope he adapts soon and grows out of this phase! Good to see you that day! Sorry, haven't transfer the $$ to you yet but will do so soon and will sms you, k?

Clarrisa,
Yes, it was great meeting you and Ricco that day! Sorry, I was a bit blur that day as we were quite late for class coz Luis woke up late. Yes, agree with your suggestion. We can meet for lunch and catch up after Luis class. In fact, Luis was very distracted with his 2 of his classmates who were wailing and screaming away and did not concentrate on the lesson. At the end of the lesson, his teacher suggested that Luis attend the 9am class for the next session. I sort of agree to let him try out for the 3 Jan lesson but will be even more rushed for me as he usually wakes up at 830am. When is Ricco's next lesson? The school is having a break this weekend for the Xmas and New Year holidays!

Spring,
Wanna meet up for a playground session on one of the weekend? Maybe you can get Jonas to mix around with Luis so that he knows he has friends to play with. Luis is definitely not shy.

Welcome, Rosabel!

esther,
my boy takes abt 3weeks!!! and for this mth, he didn go to CC for abt 3weeks cos he's sick. and when i brought him to CC today, he still very happy abt going to CC leh..... but there's 2 HDMD case, so i brought him home again.

esther - i registered him for cherie hearts treetop. gracekids i only try for a few times. he will start school in either Jan/Feb.

Spring- bring jonas out to play with Ricco. wanna plan a day to the hortpark playground?

luvbabe - yes Ricco is attending 9am sat class. next class is 3rd Jan yes. so will be same class! than we can go breakfast afterwhich! ricco is always distracted in class, no matter whether theres any kids crying
happy.gif

Hi Ladies,

Wishing all of you here and your family a Christmas fulls of JOY, LOVE and FUN! Enjoy the season!

Rosebel: A great welcome! Are you a FTWM or SAHM? Looking for a school for your child too?

Springdance: The teacher (Ms Nichole) that we spoke to is not a chinese and i dont think she is a local too. Or maybe she is....Cant really tell!

hmmm...anyway..i'm a bit confuse, am i right to say that Clarrisa, Esther, Luvbabe's child are all in Cherrie Hearts but some in different branch? hee hee...Just wondering why so many Cherrie Hearts students here. I called to enquired previously and the lady who spoke to me was pretty rude so i take this school off my list.

Anyway, did anyone went orchard recently? Is super duper packed! I went during the same period last year and is also not that pack! Is so difficult to even wana snap a picture! Guess xmas is not only about giving and sharing but also squeezing and squeezing in orchard! lol..

Back