Swimming classes

hi woofwoof,
infants can start to learn when they are about 6 mths old..
of cos they won't be learning the strokes proper but to let them have a feel of how it's like in the water..
they will only start to learn the proper strokes when they are about 3...

hi sunny beach,

my 4yrs old son's swimming lesson is from 7-8pm.
the water is not as cold as we though. if your girl enjoy water, i think she will not feel so cold hee..

how long does your kid take to learn to swim independently?
frog style & swim half a lap in a medium pool (0.8 meter pool)?

my girl attended 8 lessons previously but still cling on to teacher. Although she dares to dip her head inside the water to blow bubbles

Starting her on another 8 lessons soon

Hi there,
Is there any mummy staying at Bayshore Park Condo? I'm hoping to find a small group of kids to form a swimming class at Bayshore Park. There's an instructor from Swim21 Swim School available on Sundays 5:30 pm.

hippo: I think maybe it depends on the child. My two kiddos learning from same instructor at the same time... but one is phobic and the other is not, although initially also quite afraid, but not as bad.

Both are progressing, but the non-phobic one is progressing much faster than the phonic one (of course).

So I'm thinking, maybe it's more the child than the coach, although of course it makes a difference if you get a good coach vs a lousy one.

My current one just did his 3rd lesson with my kids. Before had 3 others, 2 very lousy, one quite good but kena enlisted into NS. This current one quite good... patient yet firm... tries to help them according to their abilities.

i agree with dorie

no point starting the kid on swimming if he/she not ready. I waited until my girl was more comfortable with water b4 starting her on swim classes. When she was ready, i signed her up. in less than 3 months, she could swim the length of pool on her own.

Of course the coach played an impt part, but the fact tt my girl was ready meant she could pick up skills faster.

hippo, I paying $80 per kid per month. It's a "private" lesson for my two kids... so he gets paid $160 per month for my two kids lor. Lessons are 1hr long. Must pay every month, even if miss lesson, though he will "make up" for lost lessons by adding 15mins to 30mins per lesson. I think he may agree to having more lessons a week too, to make up. Only "private" lesson can make up, if "group" lesson, then cannot lor.

Audrey, last time my baby join, aquaducks i think I paid like $90-95 a month... but cannot remember liao. And the lessons are only 30mins or 45 mins... also cannot remember liao. Just call and ask.. their staff quite friendly and helpful. The only problem is the locations... the suntec pool is on the 4th floor, water usually very cold (it's an open pool).

Shimmers, my coach is teaching in Tampines. My kids take lessons there. If you interested, pm me. I think he is quite good lah... quite patient with my phobic boy... so far, the best I have encountered lah. He himself has a 5yo girl, so I think he knows how to interact with the young ones.

dorie...
thanks for your info
happy.gif
...but its an actual swimming lesson teaching the swimming techniques or its a water confidence type? son is quite happy being in the pool. But he cannot hold his breath under the water yet...do they need to learn that 1st?

audrey - no.. it's a real swimming lesson... first few lessons taught holding breath, and put face in water that kind... but because boy is phobic, so he concentrate on getting him over his fears... my son if you force him to take his legs off the floor of the pool will cry type one, so considered phobic.

But my girl he is teaching how to stroke correctly for legs at the 2nd lesson on, and now she can swim with float across training pool... I think he's also quite firm about getting the technique right that kind.

I don't know, but I think he would probably assess where your kid is, then move on from there lor.

hth

hello mommies,

any feed back for ang peng siong swimming school? I heard there's some lesson going on in ACJC pool and wonder if they teach kiddies 4yrs?

harriet

the fees of nico seems abit expensive huh? i thought my coach charge was abit on the high side, so at least now i know it's quite reasonable :p my gal made remarkable improvement when i switched coach. class has only 3 person and i pay $80 mth.

previously i tried 1 term with the swimming school Swimfast (by david lim), but it was bad. my girl spent alot of time waiting for her turn as there were 7 in the class. so she had a hard time overcoming her water fears, as teacher cannot spend enuff time with each.

thansk jasmum

ya joyful2, i agree that nico's fees s abit ex. may i know who is your kid's coach and which area? thanks.

for my boy's class of 2 pax i pay only $80/mth (i think the website typo, so we leverage on this error...it has since been updated...dunno if they will charge us more next month. :p)

Hi there,

I would like to withdraw my recommendation of Nico coach.

My son and colleague's son was under his private class for the last 5 months. 3 weeks ago, Nico just sms me a few days before the swimming lesson to inform me that he will be converting our private class of 2 kids to group class of 10kids. My son is only 4 and my colleague's son is 4.5 years old. The group class consists of kids from 5 to 9 years old. My son is the active type whom I feel will not be able to concentrate well in a group class. I feel that just because the coach wants to earn more, he converted our private class to group class without even asking for our opinion first.

On top of that, when we ask for refund, he took more than 2 weeks to transfer the money back to us, after much sms-ing to him.

I am utterly disappointed with him.

To mummies whose kids are already under him, I hope you will not have such bad experience.

To mummies who are going to enrol under him, please reconsider.

Thanks.

To all mummies,

I agree with my colleague's comments on Nico coach. His website is swim2survive.com.

We were very upset by his sudden decision to switch our son's swimmming lesson from individual,i.e. 2 kids, $100 each/month to a group of 10 children from 5,6 & 9 yr old,immediately.

He informed my colleague on 4 or 5 June and our son's next lesson is on 9 June 07, without advance notice.

He did not even informed me personally. I was informed by my colleague personally and via the forwarded sms from Nico. His act is very unprofessional and inconsiderate cos we have to find a new swimming coach for our sons (4 & 4.5 yr old) and they have to adapt to a new coach and his swimming methods all over again, after 5 months of swimming classes.

Hence, you all would like to take our comments / experience into consideration before enrolling your children under him.

Thank you.

just to check after approximately how many lessons (or how many months) before your child be able to swim e.g. breaststroke? cos my daughter's been learning about 3 months..don't seem to have much progress.........still can't manage the breaststroke properly.

Thanks disneymom and roostermummy for info. I was thinking of getting him to coach private class for my 2 kids(4 and 6yrs) and after reading your bad experience, I've gotta rethink.
BTW, can check with you mummies how much do you all pay for swimming class(groups)? Any other good coach to recommend in the north(say Woodlands or Yishun). Thanks alot.

hi Rains

Is your child still attending swimming lessons by Peter? Could you share his contact? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi leen,

No problem. Just didn't want other mummies to have the same bad experience as we did.

Nico's private class (2 kids to a coach) was $100 per kid for 4 lessons. My brother sent his 2 boys for private lesson (also 2 kids to a coach) at $50 per kid per month. I think the market rate for group lesson is about $40 - $50 per month.

Hope that helps : )

disneymom...
where your bro got so good lobang???
$50 per kid per month (if 1 hr) for 2 kids lesson is very cheap.

hi fz,

you do not accept pm...
can you pm me instead? he does teach in the west. my nephews are taking lesson from him in west coast. according to my brother, the coach is quite patience so far.

hi disneymom,

Do you think he teaches in the north(woodlands/yishun)? Can you pm me his contact too? Thanks alot.

hi leen,

I'm not sure if he teach in the north area. Have just pm you his contacts. You may like to call him to check...

hi !
I stay in bedok.I want good swimming instructer for my 2 1/4 year old doughter. can anyone suggest.
thanks

hi disneymom!
I am Ashwini. want swimming techer for my 2 1/4 year old doughter. I live in bedok.
can u suggest.
I am asking cause I read ur reply on this site to others
thanks

Hi Ashwini,

My son will be going for his 1st lesson under this new coach this sunday.
I will post my feedback here later after a few lessons.

Thanks.

Hi,

any good swimming coach to recommend ard Toa Payoh, Bishan or AMK area.

My son is 5 years old. He has been to 3x swimming lessons under this XX coach for the past 1mth but I am extremely unhappy with the coach. On the 1st lesson, he told me that I have to be prepared that my son will learn slow bcoz of his age???? Then he's always black face, shouting at the students and today he actually told me that my son is too stiff, there's nothing he can do.

My son is not superboy and how can u expect him to master in just 3 lessons.....so can someone offer me some suggestions. Thanks!

roostermummy & disneymom
I agree with your comments about the instructor Nico too. This Sunday is supposed to be our first lesson and on Thurs when I called him to confirm, he said he would like to pass our kids to another instructor or else have to join him at a public pool. I feel that he is not professional enough and did not keep his agreement with us.

Now I got to go hunt for another instructor. Anyone has a good recommendation for me? Instructor must be child-friendly as my girl is very afraid of water. Lady or Male instructor doesn't matter and we stay in Upp Bukit Timah.

Thanks!

mummies,
bad news for me.
blur me paid the instructor upfront for a month of lessons, and the centre warn us that in some cases, instructors 'run away' after upfront payment.
crossing my fingers now....cos my boy really like this instructor as he is pretty friendly.
btw, how do you pay your instructor? by per lesson?

Annie,
Sorry to hear about that, hope that you'll find a good instructor soon.

fz,
usually me and my colleague also pay the instructor up-front before the lesson. if your son's lesson with the instructor is individual, i would suggest that you mark down on your calendar the date that your son attended the lesson, so that in case of any discrepancy, you have black and white to back you up.

In our case, we paid Nico in advance too. After he sms us about converting from individual lesson to group lesson, we msg him that we would like to withdraw from the class. He was supposed to return $75 back to us each as we only attended 1 lesson, but he only returned $50 to us each. When I called him to dispute, he said he marked the schedule on his calendar. I asked him to email to me the schedule then, but almost a month have past, and we did not hear from him. I don't think he will ever bother to email. Just take this $50 as a lesson learnt.

so fz, it's better to be wary. You never know if the instructor is dishonest....

disneymom,

i am silly enough not to check carefully the payment terms stated at the website and paid upfront 1 month. and just the following lesson after we paid, the instructor asked to postpone the lesson cos his cousin is getting married that day. we gave him the benefit of the doubt cos he seems like a nice person during the 1 month of lessons that he have with the boys.

if (*touch wood) he really did run away with the fees, we are going to confront the swimming centre. regardless that they have stated that we should not pay the instructor upfront, they are still obliged to recommend trustworthy instructors to us cos we did not select this coach in the first place (the coach we selected was not available).

after this month, I am going to stick strictly to payment per lesson liao.

ya....it is a lesson learnt. thanks for sharing too.

fz,

from what you mentioned (he asked to postpone a lesson with a reason), i don't think he'll run away with the money and tarnish his own reputation.
but since the swimming center's payment terms state to pay on per lesson basis, i think it'll be better for you not to pay in advance in future.
it's just human nature for us to trust that the other person will not cheat us, but we never know...

Hello ladies, to those looking for a good swimming instructor, you might want to try Andrew, my children's instructor. He's been teaching my kids since April... both were afraid of water to begin with (boy is 7, girl is turning 6 this Nov)... but he was very patient with them, and could get them to cooperate and look forward to swimming lessons, yet at the same time, he managed to challenge them.

My boy is very phobic... feet don't touch floor will grip you in death grip... that kind. Now, he will hold the kickboard and "swim" on his own in deep pool, with the coach nearby.

My girl has made remarkable progress (she is not phobic... just scared in the beginning), and has learnt in 14 lessons to swim breaststroke across entire breadth of regular size pool... he is talking about signing her up for the Bronze Award in Dec this year... and wants to start training her already...

But one thing is he is somewhat busy... has quite a few students, and is apparently in the midst of starting a swim school (he say one... dunno real or not)... so quite hard to make up if you are taking private lessons. If you would like his contact, PM me. Don't think it's nice to put his number up here in a public forum...

From what he says, he goes around Singapore teaching.. he likes to ride around on his m'bike... so you can try and see if he will go to the location you want. My kids take lessons in the East.

Hope that helps.

Hi, any good swimming classes or instructor for toddler beside aquaducks and swimfast? preferably east or central area. My girl is 15mth old.

Does anyone want know of any good swimming coach in Jurong West Swimming Complex? Preferrable very patient with young children and small group learning together.

Back