Support for Gestational Diabetes Mummies~

One day I was browsing through the shelves at Guardian and saw that they sell glucose meter at the same price as I paid for my rental set (though different brands). The glucose strips and lancets were much cheaper too. Kicked myself for not having done prior research cos I could have bought one myself and could continue to use after I give birth. I also went Guardian to check out the price of glucose strips and lancets compatible with my rental set. The outlet doesn't have my glucose strips, but the lancets and alcohol swabs were more than half price cheaper than what I paid at my gynae My gynae already overcharged himself, these kind of things also want to earn more than double. So I decided to buy the supplies myself and don't let him earn!

What brand is your meter? I bought one myself omron ci my doc doesn't rent

Anyone here taking the Hock Hua soup package? It comes in 14/28 days pkg, and only have to cook readily portioned herbs, and add our own meat...can get the pamphlet to see more details...

We're probably doing that since I'm not hiring CL and the tingkat like not suitable for GD...I will check w dietitian after my next checkup on June 1st!

Anyone here taking the Hock Hua soup package? It comes in 14/28 days pkg, and only have to cook readily portioned herbs, and add our own meat...can get the pamphlet to see more details...

We're probably doing that since I'm not hiring CL and the tingkat like not suitable for GD...I will check w dietitian after my next checkup on June 1st!

Yes we plan to get the confinement soup package from them too. However I went to 2 different outlets to ask about what to do with natural delivery vs caesarean and got very different answers. One told us if caesarean only need to take 2nd half of the full set. The other one told us need to take full set but minus certain herbs every week.

@Autumndew ah...hrmm....I dunno all this at all, only my family members and hubby insist I must nourish after birth cos I have always been of frail health since young :( I also scared not strong enough to breastfeed! Thx for the info, I will make sure to get hubby to clarify when we buy!

Yes we plan to get the confinement soup package from them too. However I went to 2 different outlets to ask about what to do with natural delivery vs caesarean and got very different answers. One told us if caesarean only need to take 2nd half of the full set. The other one told us need to take full set but minus certain herbs every week.
image-20160512_130543.jpg

At hougang mall atrium, today last day.....hubby gonna get for me tonight since can keep de...

Yeah lo, but hubby has to go overseas for work soon, and he doesn't want me to carry heavy stuff, so just buy first....

I had GD during my first pregnancy at 2014. Now I am type 2 diabetic, expecting my second child currently @ 28 weeks.
I must say I did a good job by control my weight gain. My first I gained a whopping 25kg. Now my second I've gained only 4kg @28 weeks. My gynae is very pleased with me.

Pregnancy hormones can be a real bitch. No matter how you control your sugar intake, the hormones will somewhat increase the readings.
Medication, 2 tabs of metformin after each meal (3 times a day) + 2 jabs of insulins (2 times a day)
and yes, my baby is already 1.4kg @28weeks. Gynae said I'm prone to have bigger baby, but this time round, is even bigger compared to my first.

My readings before food are usually between 4.0 - 4.8 and after is usually 6.0 - 8.0

I am planning to take the Chinese medicine from Thomson, as the physician will see you to prescribe the herbs.. Think better due to diabetic conditions as pre packaged herbs may not be suitable.

I am planning to take the Chinese medicine from Thomson, as the physician will see you to prescribe the herbs.. Think better due to diabetic conditions as pre packaged herbs may not be suitable.
Oh yeah! How could I have overlooked that :-/
Would u mind sharing which sinseh you will be seeing? Perhaps I should do the same....

Oh yeah! How could I have overlooked that :-/
Would u mind sharing which sinseh you will be seeing? Perhaps I should do the same....

I haven't deliver yet, from the website they say to call when u deliver to arrange an appointment. I am delivering at TMC so it's convenient to see the physician during my stay.

Today I went for check up and my Hb1Ac has decreased to 4.9! I have switched to more home cooked meals and wholemeal bread, blueberries, strawberries and grapes with honey water for drinks (to replace sweet gassy drink I crave)
Now only my fasting blood sugar is barely under limit, almost hitting 5.0

Hi again mummies, just done with my 32week consult with diabetes doc, haiz....baby is growing too well, but I am losing weight, and if I don't buck up I will be put on insulin in 2weeks' time T.T

Looks like I shouldn't have had beard papa and cheat days :(( so disheartening

Hi again mummies, just done with my 32week consult with diabetes doc, haiz....baby is growing too well, but I am losing weight, and if I don't buck up I will be put on insulin in 2weeks' time T.T

Looks like I shouldn't have had beard papa and cheat days :(( so disheartening
Hi snowfern, previously did u monitor your blood sugar on cheat days?
I am 23w now and I have to monitor 7x blood sugar 3x a week... So far coping ok with occasional spike but my baby is average weight now and gynae say with my readings it's unlikely that I will have too big baby so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi snowfern, previously did u monitor your blood sugar on cheat days?
I am 23w now and I have to monitor 7x blood sugar 3x a week... So far coping ok with occasional spike but my baby is average weight now and gynae say with my readings it's unlikely that I will have too big baby so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Whenever I deviate from my regular meals, I always test before and 2 hrs after...and they usually within range....the only time I never test was beard papa as snack , as I know sure fail, but I only had that once a mth so far, 3x in 2nd trimester :(

Baby is within normal range actually, right on the middle line, but they worried cos prior scan baby was a bit under (which was why dietitian ask me eat more cheese and milk for snack), which means she is progressing faster than usual. But I am not gaining weight, meaning I am developing insulin resistance. So the docs told me sometimes it is out of my control no matter how well I eat :( I very seldom exceed 7.0, and still they only require me to do 7x once a week. Frustrating.

Whenever I deviate from my regular meals, I always test before and 2 hrs after...and they usually within range....the only time I never test was beard papa as snack , as I know sure fail, but I only had that once a mth so far, 3x in 2nd trimester :(

Baby is within normal range actually, right on the middle line, but they worried cos prior scan baby was a bit under (which was why dietitian ask me eat more cheese and milk for snack), which means she is progressing faster than usual. But I am not gaining weight, meaning I am developing insulin resistance. So the docs told me sometimes it is out of my control no matter how well I eat :( I very seldom exceed 7.0, and still they only require me to do 7x once a week. Frustrating.
If your readings are within range, that means your glucose is under control? Once or twice high readings should be ok wat. I don't understand why they say you are developing insulin resistance when your readings are within range.
When I was 33 weeks, my baby weighs 1.85kg. 2 weeks later at 35 weeks, she weighs 2.39kg. I am losing weight since 3rd trimester, only gained less than 2 kg pre-pregnancy weight now at 36 weeks. My gynae also never say anything. Cos I think baby is still within range (I use "what to expect" app as an estimate of how my baby should weigh every week).

If your readings are within range, that means your glucose is under control? Once or twice high readings should be ok wat. I don't understand why they say you are developing insulin resistance when your readings are within range.
When I was 33 weeks, my baby weighs 1.85kg. 2 weeks later at 35 weeks, she weighs 2.39kg. I am losing weight since 3rd trimester, only gained less than 2 kg pre-pregnancy weight now at 36 weeks. My gynae also never say anything. Cos I think baby is still within range (I use "what to expect" app as an estimate of how my baby should weigh every week).
Ya I am within the limits , they tell me to keep up my diet and the 7x once a week prickings, but if I cannot increase my weight still I will need to take insulin.

My bb at 30 weeks was 1.8kg, but I have no more scheduled scans, so also not sure what's going on. The doc did warn me that for some women, diet alone cannot control blood sugar, and from the looks of it, I might be one of those women T.T

Dear All Mummies,

Just for sharing, no obligations, i recently just get to know this products from Return Legacy, called Medigold. It is able to help in controlling blood sugar level for pregnant mummy. saw positive comments from user too. If you keen to know more, kindly pm me at [email protected].

Enjoy your pregnancy.
Don't appreciate posts preying on people who are in a vulnerable position. Seller account from what is most likely MLM.

I gave birth at week 35 and babies are 2 & 2.2 kg. no need nicu and babies are doing well. One of the twins has slight low sugar level but level soon become normal. Towards to end of trimenster I didn't follow GD diet anymore cos babies are of low weight n my dr want me to eat more to boost babies weight. Oh but my csect wound is healing slower than others. I am not sure if it's related to diabetics. Sigh.

Jia you to all GD ladies out there!!!

I gave birth at week 35 and babies are 2 & 2.2 kg. no need nicu and babies are doing well. One of the twins has slight low sugar level but level soon become normal. Towards to end of trimenster I didn't follow GD diet anymore cos babies are of low weight n my dr want me to eat more to boost babies weight. Oh but my csect wound is healing slower than others. I am not sure if it's related to diabetics. Sigh.

Oh wow, congratulations x 2 Bunny33!!! I'm sure babies will be bouncy healthy and happy!!! Take care, wishing you a fast recovery!

Losing weight means developing insulin resistance??

I have not put on any weight..I do have a few spikes...my baby is not big

How do I know I have insulin resistance??

Congrats bunny33. Well done babies above 2kg.

Losing weight means developing insulin resistance??

I have not put on any weight..I do have a few spikes...my baby is not big

How do I know I have insulin resistance??
I'm not sure either, but in 2 weeks' time they will decide to put me on insulin or not.

Not sure how they diagnose either, but here are some of my details:

- week 29 bb 1.8kgs, right in the middle of the normal range, me at 64.5kg (pre-pregnancy weight 61kg, height 1.62, so considered normal bmi). But compared to week 20 weight, baby seemed to be growing quite fast. So doc ask me to control food a bit more.

- Readings mostly within range for week 30-32, only experiment new food on prick days, spike a bit 3 times out of 28 reads (7.0-8.5)

- old foods like bee hoon soup from food court used to be 5-6 read , but lately became 6.7, even though I take even less bee hoon than before

- today week 32 I drop down to 63.6kg, even though all reads within limits, and I have been eating larger amounts, my reads also increased from 5.x -6.5 to 6.0-7 mostly. I thought is still ok cos doc said continue with what I am eating, but my weight loss is a warning sign.

I think it varies for each mummy, not sure he they gonna definitively determine if I need insulin, but I just got back from grocery shopping, going back to my stricter 1st trimester diet, since the slightly more sugar 2nd trimester diet suggested by dietitian is not working out for me :(

I think it's natural that your readings will increase a little as your pregnancy progresses since your body is producing more and more hormones. Weight gain may slow down or even lose weight as we are cutting down on sugar intake. My friend who is not pregnant also lost weight significantly after starting low sugar, low processed food healthy diet. For me, I really cut down sugar a lot. I eat plain oats and half egg sandwich with low GI whole grain bread for breakfast. I also steam my own protein and vege lunch everyday in office and eat with small portion of red basmati rice. I don't even dared to eat hawker centre/ food court's bee hoon soup/ noodle/ rice or whatsoever. I think I will not pass my readings if I eat those.

I feel that since your readings are within range, you shouldn't need to start on insulin. Suggest you discuss with doctor on what's the rationale.

I'm not sure either, but in 2 weeks' time they will decide to put me on insulin or not.

Not sure how they diagnose either, but here are some of my details:

- week 29 bb 1.8kgs, right in the middle of the normal range, me at 64.5kg (pre-pregnancy weight 61kg, height 1.62, so considered normal bmi). But compared to week 20 weight, baby seemed to be growing quite fast. So doc ask me to control food a bit more.

- Readings mostly within range for week 30-32, only experiment new food on prick days, spike a bit 3 times out of 28 reads (7.0-8.5)

- old foods like bee hoon soup from food court used to be 5-6 read , but lately became 6.7, even though I take even less bee hoon than before

- today week 32 I drop down to 63.6kg, even though all reads within limits, and I have been eating larger amounts, my reads also increased from 5.x -6.5 to 6.0-7 mostly. I thought is still ok cos doc said continue with what I am eating, but my weight loss is a warning sign.

I think it varies for each mummy, not sure he they gonna definitively determine if I need insulin, but I just got back from grocery shopping, going back to my stricter 1st trimester diet, since the slightly more sugar 2nd trimester diet suggested by dietitian is not working out for me :(
Hmmm I lost 2 kg within 2 weeks but gynae never say anything....in fact with my weight loss and smaller baby size, he said I can be less strict. Up to 8 is ok

Now I am worried I am insulin resistance

Hmmm I lost 2 kg within 2 weeks but gynae never say anything....in fact with my weight loss and smaller baby size, he said I can be less strict. Up to 8 is ok

Now I am worried I am insulin resistance
As long as your gynae thinks you are okay, you shouldn't worry yourself over what essentially is just another stranger telling her story on the internet okay? *hugs*

For my case, they are worried because my baby is getting big but i'm losing weight, indicating that the sugar level is high for the baby, but i am not using up whatever sugar i am eating. so really is different scenario. if you are really concerned, then, as usual, i will say, check with your doctor.

I think it's natural that your readings will increase a little as your pregnancy progresses since your body is producing more and more hormones. Weight gain may slow down or even lose weight as we are cutting down on sugar intake. My friend who is not pregnant also lost weight significantly after starting low sugar, low processed food healthy diet. For me, I really cut down sugar a lot. I eat plain oats and half egg sandwich with low GI whole grain bread for breakfast. I also steam my own protein and vege lunch everyday in office and eat with small portion of red basmati rice. I don't even dared to eat hawker centre/ food court's bee hoon soup/ noodle/ rice or whatsoever. I think I will not pass my readings if I eat those.

I feel that since your readings are within range, you shouldn't need to start on insulin. Suggest you discuss with doctor on what's the rationale.
I have been thinking the same, and probably the docs too is why they haven't put me on it immediately, instead wanting to observe for 2 more weeks. I will request to check baby size before deciding to go on insulin, because I also have been walking far more than usual, but admittedly my snacks are higher sugar (as suggested by dietitian in 2nd trimester) than usual, even though they are within range. If need be, I will accept it and get on insulin, cos ultimately if whatever is within my control is not working, it would be stupid of me to deny tried and tested medicines that have enabled countless GD mummies to give birth safely.

just super frustrated that the past 6 months of control is just delaying the inevitable, which is what the doc already warned me about. my emotions trying to catch up to my brain i guess.

I also lost weight after starting the diet n towards the end babies growth slow down n that's why my dr want me to eat more. I supposed everyone has different GD condition. Hang in there U are reaching the final destination soon

I supposed dr is worried by not gaining weight and your bb is growing fast your body may not be able to hold it.

Hi, I'm not sure about losing weight means insulin resistance, I thought that as long as baby is not too big it means GD is under control?
After my appt on Wednesday, I did 7x yesterday and 9x today, testing out my regular foods that used to pass with 5.x. And to my surprise and disappointment, 2x wholemeal bread + 1 slice low fat cheese + 3 slice tomato + 1/2 cup skim milk hit a first time high of 9.0. I do not know if lactulose affected the read as I was told it does not, but I'll test the same meal again tmrw without lactulose. This same meal used to never even exceed 5.5. prebreakfast- was 5.3 tho, a little higher than usual, but still shocking.

Baby is not too big atm, but definitely a jump from previous scan....then again, father is 1.78 tall and quite stocky, as am I, so we weren't expecting a small bb to begin with....their main concern was my loss of weight

I supposed dr is worried by not gaining weight and your bb is growing fast your body may not be able to hold it.
I never thought of it that way! I always thought, within limits, baby healthy within normal range, doesn't matter if I dun gain weight....but now that my reads are also quite unpredictable and I have to severely restrict even complex carbs, it is clear something is not right. Sigh.

I never thought of it that way! I always thought, within limits, baby healthy within normal range, doesn't matter if I dun gain weight....but now that my reads are also quite unpredictable and I have to severely restrict even complex carbs, it is clear something is not right. Sigh.

Been observing this thread for a while. I do have high risk of GD due to PCOS and family history of T2. So, have been counting my calories intake and carb since tested positive. Not sure whether it'll be useful for your case, just share some of the tips that might be useful.

Plan my calories and carb intake. I used TDEE calculator to determine my calories requirement and add additional 300 kcal since second trimester. My meal breakdown, 20% calories from breakfast, 30% lunch, 40% dinner and 10% for snacks. From my research, we tend to be more insulin resistance in morning, so breakfast has to be smaller.

Weight and portion control. I used electronic scale to weight my food. Most food label are inaccurate. For example, 2 slices of wholemeal bread serving size can range between 1 - 2 serving based of nutrition label. A lot of us tend to misjudge portion size due to this.

Track my food intake and macro breakdown - for this I'm using myfitnesspal app. Granted it's not 100% accurate breakdown for all food but it's a decent starting point. Based on the app...

Aim to have carb intake less than 50% of daily diet. I tend to disagree with your Nutritionist advice here. To me all carbs, regardless it came from lactose, fructose or complex carb should be counted. But that's just my opinion - feel free to ignore.

This seems to turning into an essay, but most importantly, don't be disheartened & you can do it.

Thank you so much for the support, and advice, @gymbunny :) I have downloaded the app and bought some groceries last night, oats, salmon, mackeral, nuts...veggies MIL has a ready supply, but also increased my portions of those (and have been the past month!).....planning to rely more on these rather than milk/cheese/red meat to bulk up. I've even contemplated supplements, but since I am already juggling so many variables, decided to try to rein in on carbs, this time taking into account lactulose and fruits, and see how things even out for the next two weeks.

I also was previously diagnosed with PCOS and type 2 diabetes, so have been quite careful too, but perhaps just the shock that my past month weight gain could be lost so suddenly is indeed something I was emotionally unprepared for, though never far from my mind. Especially since baby seems to be growing well, I think it really might be my hormones starting to interfere, but again, we'll see once I adjust my carb/protein/fat ratios.....

I sometimes wonder if it is also part third trimester weight loss that most mamas go through, but everything right now is a guessing game :(

After my appt on Wednesday, I did 7x yesterday and 9x today, testing out my regular foods that used to pass with 5.x. And to my surprise and disappointment, 2x wholemeal bread + 1 slice low fat cheese + 3 slice tomato + 1/2 cup skim milk hit a first time high of 9.0. I do not know if lactulose affected the read as I was told it does not, but I'll test the same meal again tmrw without lactulose. This same meal used to never even exceed 5.5. prebreakfast- was 5.3 tho, a little higher than usual, but still shocking.

Baby is not too big atm, but definitely a jump from previous scan....then again, father is 1.78 tall and quite stocky, as am I, so we weren't expecting a small bb to begin with....their main concern was my loss of weight
I have some days when reading spike despite eating the same breakfast. I was worried too. Then I google n some said try to drink milk or eat snack before going to bed as this will help the sugar level in the morning. U may want to try.

I have some days when reading spike despite eating the same breakfast. I was worried too. Then I google n some said try to drink milk or eat snack before going to bed as this will help the sugar level in the morning. U may want to try.
Thanks @Bunny33 :) yea, I always have to snack with milk b4 bed or I will get heartburn!

How goes your confinement and babies?

Hi everyone, i was diagnosed with GD last week before was 4.7, after was 9.8.
Was pcos previously too! went for dietician course n did the 7 times prick before n after meals, it doesnt exceed 5.0 at all!!
so i wonder is OGTT result accurate. shld i do a retest..

Was pcos previously too! went for dietician course n did the 7 times prick before n after meals, it doesnt exceed 5.0 at all!!
I think the results vary throughout pregnancy? First 2 trimesters were pretty stable reads, low 5s to 6, but slowly increasing after. Now in 3rd trimester and might need insulin.

OGTT is a tolerance test, on how ur body processes sugar, so if it indicates impairment, thus GD. and that is different from the daily pricks, which only indicates your GI levels depending on what you eat, so u can either redo or check if ur machine is accurate?

I don't think it's necessary to redo the test unless the test result is used by gynae to alter your birthplan.

As for the OGTT test, it's accurate if you're already on normal high carb diet - not an issue with general population. But if you're on low-carb carb diet or paleo, you will have a higher chance of getting false positive result. Pancreas had not been conditioned to produced that much of insulin after being long term on these diet.

I don't think it's necessary to redo the test unless the test result is used by gynae to alter your birthplan.

As for the OGTT test, it's accurate if you're already on normal high carb diet - not an issue with general population. But if you're on low-carb carb diet or paleo, you will have a higher chance of getting false positive result. Pancreas had not been conditioned to produced that much of insulin after being long term on these diet.
oic. thanks for the advice. i have always been on low carb diet anyway. so the dietician meals are almost the same as wat i usually ate. my reading before meals are 3.4/4.5/3.6. after meals are 4.9/4.1/4.1. before bedtime is 3.1. nurse commented i abit low sugar. keep asking me to eat more. but this is usually how much i will eat. n it also makes me feel, why am i even doing this, when my rating doesnt fall into the normal range of 5.5 to 7. haiz.. thats why i tot should i do a retest..

Your reading seem low for GD. Is the glucometer faulty? Or maybe u highlight to dr see what he advise.

Back