Support for Gestational Diabetes Mummies~

Hi,this is a support group for all mummies that suffering Gestational Diabetes.
We can share what sort of food that has to be avoided,or to consume more so that we can have a smooth delivery and not let GD take over us.

For me,I suffer from GD when I failed my OGTT on my 28th weeks.I had a family history for diabetes hence,was asked to take this test.
Process:
The day before OGTT,We have to fast.No food and drink after 12 midnight.Then,we will take in our first tube of blood test to test our glucose level during fasting.
After the 1st tube of blood,they will ask you to drink a cup of sugary water and has to be finish up asap..then return back 2 hrs later to test our 2nd tube of blood to see how our blood react to the sugar intake..Then,we can head back home and wait for result.

Nurses will update you if you have passed or failed the test.

I failed my test (8.8) and was asked to go for a full day course(hospitalized leave will be given).

Attended the course and learned from a dietician about the food we should/should not consume..and we have to write down the list of food we had consumed for the pass one week.The dietician will guide us and suggest changes about our daily food intake which is very helpful.

I was asked to rent the machine to test my blood for 7 times a day,2 consecutive days in 2 weeks.

Then after completion,we will head back with the result to the dietician.(So far,i havent attend..my appointment is next week)

Pricking blood is scary for the first time..but slowly,You will get use to it!For me,i find it fun as i get to know what food causes my sugar level to go out and i will often prick my hubby finger to see if he is in good condition since he often drink soda!

Trust me,pricking finger is not as fearful as you thought..I guess i think too much!when i finally prick my virgin finger,i was like.."CHEY!"

Jiayou mummies!

Hi! I recently found out about my GD too. I attended the full day course as well but I felt that it was very demoralising as the nurses were not tactful at all. As for the types of food that they recommended, i felt that it was not broad enough and they didn't show us what to look for when buying products and how to check the nutrition information. They showed us a bunch of pictures but obviously we cannot remember them right?

Also, the paper sheet they gave us with the information was not good enough. Especially for us working, sometimes its very very difficult to find such food around. Although i made an effort to pack food for my snacks and lunch, i felt it would have been better if they provided much more info.

I found this brochure that an Australia hospital provides and it is much more insightful then the one KKH provides. After reading this, i felt so much better. Here is the link: http://kemh.health.wa.gov.au/brochures/consumers/wnhs0560.pdf

As for the nurse and doctors in that ODAC department, I don't think they understood that some of us are first time moms and we are very new to all this. Assuming that none of us goes online to understand what GA is, they should have ran through with us thoroughly about it. When I arrived at 815am and took my first blood test that morning, i didnt my sugar level was pretty high because I was fasting for too long. I had a sugar level of 8 when the average is 3 - 5. She wasn't clear to me that I had to drink milk before i sleep eventhough i wasnt hungry. I know she said to drink milk, but i presumed it was just on a daily basis, not the night b4. So my last meal day before was at 8pm hence my high sugar level. However, instead of comforting me and letting me know that we have to see how the day progresses and hopefully my blood sugar level lowers, she exclaimed "Wah, so high ah, must admit into hospital already, must insulin already". This was the first time i've heard about this, and I was shocked and scared. I didn't understand why or what what happening or what I did wrong. She didn't explain and moved on to the next mom to take the blood test. It was also pretty embarrassing on my part with all the strangers around me - having not met any of the moms before. It took my entire being to not burst out crying.

Yes, they are caring for our wellbeing and for our baby's health, but they need to be more tactful and much more comforting as first time mothers like us (who are also emotionally unstable), this is all new to us. These types of information should be broken to us in a much better way, encouraging and with empathy. They have dealt with this day in day out, it becomes second nature to them but they still have to keep in mind that this could be my first time.

Throughout the day, my sugar level was slightly higher than the average. Before food rage is 3.5 - 5.5, i would hit 5.6 - 6.5. After food rage is 5.5 - 7, I would hit 7.1 - 8.3. I want to understand from them, what is considered high, cos in my eyes, going above by .1 - 1 is acceptable, but the explanation i got from them was "High, its very high". so if going slightly above is VERY HIGH, what is 15 or 20? Super disheartening because they use scare tactics instead of sharing information. Does anyone feel the same way as me? Or am I just over reacting?

This really made me feel down the entire week until I spoke to many of my friends who shared with me their stories etc. I have been controlling what I eat and always going for the healthier option. did my grocery shopping and looked up on lots of recipes that I can make for my new diet. Hope to share it with everyone soon.

I am not sure why drinking milk the night before will affect your fasting blood glucose, should not have any difference.

If it's higher by 0. Something is still ok, but if it is by 1 will be considered high.
For example, my target is 6.6 after meals, if I hit 7.6 will be quite high.

I had GD for my first and few years later am diagnosed with diabetes. Now with another child, have been monitoring from the start. Basically I try to cut down on carbo especially white rice, hor fun, etc.

I am not sure why drinking milk the night before will affect your fasting blood glucose, should not have any difference.

If it's higher by 0. Something is still ok, but if it is by 1 will be considered high.
For example, my target is 6.6 after meals, if I hit 7.6 will be quite high.

I had GD for my first and few years later am diagnosed with diabetes. Now with another child, have been monitoring from the start. Basically I try to cut down on carbo especially white rice, hor fun, etc.

Hi! apparently the nurse said its cos i fasted for too long and my blood sugar level may rise bcos too hungry already so they burn other things in the body to produce that sugar. But i totally understand what u mean.

Hi mummies, i was diagnosed with GD recently... It is so depressing as this is my first pregnancy and don't want to hurt my baby and myself.

I am hoping if any mummies can share with me some GD diet recipes and some tips on how do you curb hunger throughout the day.

Thanks in advance..

Hi mummies, i was diagnosed with GD recently... It is so depressing as this is my first pregnancy and don't want to hurt my baby and myself.

I am hoping if any mummies can share with me some GD diet recipes and some tips on how do you curb hunger throughout the day.

Thanks in advance..
Hi Sarah,

I was super depressed when I found out too. :( Dont be disheartened. if u check out my previous post, i posted a link to an AU hospital GD information pack which includes lots of food option. When I go out during lunch, im usually have YTF with thick bee hoon noodles, half rice with lots of vegetable and 1 meat, or western food. i tend to eat more meat now. I met up with a dietician and she mentioned that sandwiches (ham, lots of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber) is ok for snacks. Sometimes i have cream cheese with wholewheat bread, but 1 teaspoon spread only. i toast my bread usually. I bought the reduced fat cream cheese.

Hi Natassja,

I have tried wholemeal bread and biscuit too but my numbers seems to go up... I have cut down on rice very much... I haven't had soda drinks for the longest time...

Hi Natassja,

I have tried wholemeal bread and biscuit too but my numbers seems to go up... I have cut down on rice very much... I haven't had soda drinks for the longest time...
I dont eat white rice anymore, i change to Brown rice, and count to 12 tablespoons per meal. I eat alot of meat n vegetables instead. i also make sure to have a fruit after my main meals to satisfy my sweet craving. Chinese pears so far are the best, they're really crunchy and sweet.
What are you adding to your WM bread?

Hi Mummies! I did the glucose tolerance test yesterday and was informed that my reading was 10.1 (which is supposed to be quite high) and apparently I have low red blood cells too.

They scheduled me for an appointment to go back to the Day Care Centre in 5 days time to do the test again and I have to be observed in there for a day. They will also get the dietician to see me etc and teach me how to prick my fingers etc.

Kinda depressing and I really dare not prick my fingers.

The nurse who called me told me to eat steamed and boiled food starting from today, and no noodles.

Anyone has similar experience to advise me pls.

Hi Mummies! I did the glucose tolerance test yesterday and was informed that my reading was 10.1 (which is supposed to be quite high) and apparently I have low red blood cells too.

They scheduled me for an appointment to go back to the Day Care Centre in 5 days time to do the test again and I have to be observed in there for a day. They will also get the dietician to see me etc and teach me how to prick my fingers etc.

Kinda depressing and I really dare not prick my fingers.

The nurse who called me told me to eat steamed and boiled food starting from today, and no noodles.

Anyone has similar experience to advise me pls.
10 is really quite high... The limit my doc gave me was 6.7
I find it difficult to prick my fingers too... But have to do it for the little one.
At least try to manage it, better than to let it reach the point of requiring insulin injections.

alevejoy, thanks for sharing. Is your gynae for 2nd pregnancy from KKH? Notice that private clinic gynaes doesn't make a big fuss over GD and no such thing such as attend a one-day course in hospital and no need to prick finger, etc. Gynae only wrote a list on the food to eat.

I am in my 28/29 weeks pregnancy and I only gained about 4kg. Why still have GD? :(

Do U girls follow strictly for three meals or occasionally still indulge?
I attended the one-day course today. Had to prick the finger b4 every meal and 2 hrs after every meal.

was taught to take total of 5 meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. and have to adhere strictly on food intake.

The nurse also keep asking me to take insulin injection because my reading was high.

I attended the one-day course today. Had to prick the finger b4 every meal and 2 hrs after every meal.

was taught to take total of 5 meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. and have to adhere strictly on food intake.

The nurse also keep asking me to take insulin injection because my reading was high.

My reading was high too. Before fasting is 4.4 and after glucose drink become 10. Dr just ask me to watch my diet and prick finger to test after 2 hr meal.
Want to check with U girls. After U eat n test 2 hr later is your level within normal range?

Hi Bunny,

I was gestational diabetic too back in 2011 when i had my girl. My reading was high after the glucose drink. However, each test before meal and 2 hours after meal my reading is normal. Hence, i am never put on insulin throughout pregnancy.

My reading was high too. Before fasting is 4.4 and after glucose drink become 10. Dr just ask me to watch my diet and prick finger to test after 2 hr meal.
Want to check with U girls. After U eat n test 2 hr later is your level within normal range?
My reading is arnd 6.8 to 7.8 when taken 2hr after meal. consider high.

Hi Bunny,

I was gestational diabetic too back in 2011 when i had my girl. My reading was high after the glucose drink. However, each test before meal and 2 hours after meal my reading is normal. Hence, i am never put on insulin throughout pregnancy.

Rachel thanks for reply. Do U strictly cut down on all outside food and only eat home cook? I am worried if I am back to work will my reading be this good. Did U retest ogtt again?

these readings were taken consuming hospital food. this morning before breakfast reading was 6.8! (-_-"")

Ya that's Abit high. Try another few more days on your own n see if the reading improve. Hospital food maybe not serving brown rice?

Ladies can I take Siew Mai or small cha Siew bun kind of food for snacks?
depends on individual body. Dietitian said that I can take white noodles such as bee hoon, kway teow, bee tai mak but my readings went really high. These 2 days I have only been taking whole grain bread and brown rice and reading went below 8. And it was within acceptance range before meals.

Siew Mai has fatty meat in it. Preferably not because may be difficult to break down. But then again, it is dependable to individual metabolism rate

depends on individual body. Dietitian said that I can take white noodles such as bee hoon, kway teow, bee tai mak but my readings went really high. These 2 days I have only been taking whole grain bread and brown rice and reading went below 8. And it was within acceptance range before meals.

Siew Mai has fatty meat in it. Preferably not because may be difficult to break down. But then again, it is dependable to individual metabolism rate

I am trying to find snacks that I can eat. The wholemeal biscuit is giving me sorethroat sigh.

Actually the trick is to cut smaller portion of food consumption each meal, more times of meal but each time smaller portion. I did not cut down outside food, to be more precise, i change the food choice from oily to less oily, less sugar, less salty.
Whether homecook or outside food, just be careful of "how" the food is being cook, more soupy, steam, boil...
Sometimes indulgence once a while

After gave birth, i change my eating plan, change my body composition from the 33%fats & 21% muscle to 25% fats n 31% muscle, keep myself lean n active.
After delivered, did 1 OGTT, healthy Glucose level. It has been 5 years, i did my annual blood test include blood glucose, has been showing healthy level as well

Seen my gynae last week and submitted my readings to him!
Cool! I have lost even more weight (slimmer than before pregnancy) but baby is gaining a healthy weight and my blood glucose reading has been acceptable. Gynae advised to take reading once a week ;) I am still careful with my intake though.

Counting down to my full term ... ... about 5 weeks more :D Hope everything will be smooth.

Seen my gynae last week and submitted my readings to him!
Cool! I have lost even more weight (slimmer than before pregnancy) but baby is gaining a healthy weight and my blood glucose reading has been acceptable. Gynae advised to take reading once a week ;) I am still careful with my intake though.

Counting down to my full term ... ... about 5 weeks more :D Hope everything will be smooth.

That's great. Good to hear all is going well.

It helps to keep a food diary of what you eat for each meal, so you'll know what works for you and what not.

Western meals are generally safe but cut down on the carbs (fries, pasta) and watch out for the sauces. I do patronize mixed veg rice (chap chai png) stalls too - ordering less/no rice and avoiding dishes that has gravy as they're normally loaded with sugar to enhance the taste.

If you're really craving for some junk food, maybe you can try two pieces of KFC crispy fried chicken. My sugar levels remained in the safe zone :D

Here's some snacks that were safe for me too:

- One popiah (request for no sweet sauce)
- One serving of fruits
- One or two (Quaker's) oatmeal cookies
- Nuts
- A cup of steamed corn with butter
- One fried spring roll from Old Chang Kee
- Greek yoghurt

Hi gals, I just did my test recently and i was told that the cut off was 7.7 but i got 7.8

Doc told me no need to prick fingers cos my bb still falls under the normal weight however have to watch my diet, basically 5 small meals and cut sugary and carbo stuffs.

May I know is 7.8 is consider high? I'm a carbo lover and these few days with decrease carbo is really a torture for me

I am doing finger pricking. Is it ok if some days the readings are higher than normal? I have reading of 8 on both mornings. Worried will affect baby. Lunch n dinner my reading are ok.

Hi gals, I just did my test recently and i was told that the cut off was 7.7 but i got 7.8

Doc told me no need to prick fingers cos my bb still falls under the normal weight however have to watch my diet, basically 5 small meals and cut sugary and carbo stuffs.

May I know is 7.8 is consider high? I'm a carbo lover and these few days with decrease carbo is really a torture for me

Your 7.8 is ogtt test or finger prick test? If ogtt then is mild GD.

I went for my ogtt and reading is 8.4... Dr said is mild, asked me watch my diet and also prick finger once a week after 3 meals to monitor

I am doing finger pricking. Is it ok if some days the readings are higher than normal? I have reading of 8 on both mornings. Worried will affect baby. Lunch n dinner my reading are ok.

I just did my first finger pricking 2 hrs after dinner 5.4

But since change diet I am constantly feeling hungry....anyone feels the same?

I just did my first finger pricking 2 hrs after dinner 5.4

But since change diet I am constantly feeling hungry....anyone feels the same?

Think U can increase your intake Abit bah. 5.4 seems low. The avg level after food should be 5.5 to 7.

Back