Super mums who deliver without epidural

Hi mummies.

Gonna deliver #3 this year. Was thinking not to use epidural. Used during first delivery. Did not use during second birth. It happened too fast, was not in time for jab. recovering was much better without epidural. No aching, no feeling of mental blocked.

But I am scared. If the delivery process gonna take long, gonna b so painful.

Any tips to overcome this fear?

Thanks!!

Just tell yourself you can make it.

For myself, I pull the CTG monitor over to my bedside, if I still remember, the left reading is the baby heartbeat whereas the right reading is the contractions reading level, I monitor myself on the contraction reading, when the contraction went up, I start breathing in the laughing gas (3 puffs) and stop (try not to think of the pain).

I also took twice epi, now #3 thinking of trying to go all out natural... But the tot of the unbearable pain really hard to mind over body!! Arrrggghh...
@diamondfericia , does the laughing gas actually work? As in i tried and get hallucination, den i took epi, din try to tahan all the way till the pushing stage. So will the laughing gas actually help during the pushing stage??

It helps, maybe just for me. I think I only heard of my other friend who told me that laughing gas did helped her too, the rest said otherwise.

I think it also depends how long is the labor.

I think laughing gas helps if u do correctly. But if labour is long, will be omg!!

Thinking about the pros without epidural, I will try

Maybe can try "hypnobirthing method" ?

I am first time mummy due in May. I want natural birth without any medical intervention. I did some research online, many ppl feedback that hypnobirthing method is a easier and comfortable birthing.

I am trying to practice it, seems quite easy. Hope it really can help me ~
ImageUploadedByForum1427124389.382172.jpg

Hi... I delivered both my #1 and #2 without epidural...

I just depend on laughing gas, especially for #2. Heard from the nurse that using laughing gas can relief 41% of the pain... For my #2 (in Nov 14), I started to use laughing gas when the contraction started... for my case, it helps... at first my husband wanted to asked the nurse give me "ma zui zhen" when 3cm dilated... but couldn't make it... when the nurse checked with my gynae and bring in the jab, I was already 6cm dilated... then jump to 9cm... within half an hour... my bb came out liao :p so scary...

Of course if you can tolerate, just do it. If can't, just take the epidural and don't have to be garang.

Because am a person who is afraid of needle, thus I can't imagine that thick needle poking in between the bones of my spines.

I use nothing. No epidural or laughing gas. I painted a calm image in my mind, focused it and very deep breathing when contraction came. I guess these helped to distract the contraction pain. The whole delivery process lasted about 5-6 hrs.

@jungle u must have very high pain threshold. Super woman sia. I wonder what's u r imaging in ur mind at the moment. wonder if music helps?

Heard that the laughing gas smells.. true? I'm hoping to go thru it with jus laughing gas. Finger crossed.

I have 3 children and only my first with epidural and the rest without... for mums to be, just to share that the pain is actually bearable. I am actually expecting my no 4th last yr and edd this yr July but unfortunately i had a miscarriage. Here i give my blessings and All the best to all mums to be

It can be done, as long as u r determined to go without any epidural. I had laughing gas when I delivered #1. For my #2 and #3, I didn't use any form of pain relief at all.. not even laughing gas. Just got to work on yr breathing techniques. All the best :)

I didn't use medical intervention at all..

Here's what I did:
1) attended childbirth class at comoshambhala to get myself mentally prepared

2) refrain from lying down as lying down makes u focused on the pain.. Instead, I tried to sit or stand as much as possible..

3) heat pads to relieve my back pain and aromatherapy (lavender) to calm my mind..

4) as taught during childbirth class, to scream when in pain! Hahaha..

On the mental preparation part, I tink it is very important to know that contractions come in cycles..

In the initial stage, the contraction period is short with long periods of rest.. It is the reverse at the late stage.. Whenever I had any breaks (non-contraction periods) I will tell my husband what I need to relieve the pain. Eg. Heat pad etc... And this helps me cope better..

It's also extremely helpful to let go of your inhibitions and screaMMM when in pain.

@purplewhite & @sunstarmoon

All moms are amazing.
I have high pain threshold and also afraid of pain. When the time is up, there's nothing I can avoid but to face the process. No turning back, isn't it ?
I think it's up to individual if music helps. I love scenery and that was the image pictured.
To me, laughing gas didn't seem to help much. I find that laying on back is much more comfortable in dealing with the contraction pain.
Also I timed the contraction interval and will get ready to embrace the pain for each contraction cycle.

Be brave to face it and you will definitely get over the process. Once you have your baby in your arms, all pains suffered will be worthwhile.

Cheers to all....

Last edited:
I didn't use medical intervention at all..

Here's what I did:
1) attended childbirth class at comoshambhala to get myself mentally prepared

2) refrain from lying down as lying down makes u focused on the pain.. Instead, I tried to sit or stand as much as possible..

3) heat pads to relieve my back pain and aromatherapy (lavender) to calm my mind..

4) as taught during childbirth class, to scream when in pain! Hahaha..

For point no 2, I actually read that it helps to lessen the pain when you are standing and walking around. Initially I wanna do that but as I was on drip, no chance to go toilet, let alone walking around.

For point no 4, I read that the more you scream, the lesser strength you are left with for pushing. So I just kept mum.

For point no 2, I actually read that it helps to lessen the pain when you are standing and walking around. Initially I wanna do that but as I was on drip, no chance to go toilet, let alone walking around.

For point no 4, I read that the more you scream, the lesser strength you are left with for pushing. So I just kept mum.

Re: 2) I was on pitocin drip and antibiotics drop.. No issue.. Just sit by the bedside or stand beside the drip stand..

Re:4) i have high metabolism and feel hungry easily.. Usually if I miss my meal for maybe an hour or so, u can see me shivering and feeling weak.. However on tat day when I deliver, I missed my dinner totally, had no water for 10hrs and still can push.. Believe the contractions helped with the pushing not just my own strength..

@purplewhite & @sunstarmoon

All moms are amazing.
I have high pain threshold and also afraid of pain. When the time is up, there's nothing I can avoid but to face the process. No turning back, isn't it ?
I think it's up to individual if music helps. I love scenery and that was the image pictured.
To me, laughing gas didn't seem to help much. I find that laying on back is much more comfortable in dealing with the contraction pain.
Also I timed the contraction interval and will get ready to embrace the pain for each contraction cycle.

Be brave to face it and you will definitely get over the process. Once you have your baby in your arms, all pains suffered will be worthwhile.

Cheers to all....

Still find it quite funny when I delivered #2 without epidural. Was screaming without myself knowing. When hubby arrived at delivery ward, nurse told him his wife is the only one screaming, just follow the noise

Re: 2) I was on pitocin drip and antibiotics drop.. No issue.. Just sit by the bedside or stand beside the drip stand..

Re:4) i have high metabolism and feel hungry easily.. Usually if I miss my meal for maybe an hour or so, u can see me shivering and feeling weak.. However on tat day when I deliver, I missed my dinner totally, had no water for 10hrs and still can push.. Believe the contractions helped with the pushing not just my own strength..

You know what you want. I wanna stand/sit and the nurse just ask me to lie down. 1st time so will listen more to the nurse. The contractions did help us with the pushing but I kept pushing in the wrong way, and with a big baby till I left no more strength.

You know what you want. I wanna stand/sit and the nurse just ask me to lie down. 1st time so will listen more to the nurse. The contractions did help us with the pushing but I kept pushing in the wrong way, and with a big baby till I left no more strength.

Hmm... My gynae is pro-natural and will do as much as possible to prevent medical intervention. He gave very good guidance and instructions on when and how to push.. 3-4 pushes and bb is out. Even though it was my first birth. I tink really have to give him the credit for that.

Back