Speech delay / Mild Autism

serene87

Just wondering anyone out there have kids with speech delay who are disgnosed by doctor to have mild autism?
Need to know is there any full day or half day childcare whoch will accept these kids.
Desperately looking for one cause by this year end no one will be able to look after my son.

Just wondering anyone out there have kids with speech delay who are disgnosed by doctor to have mild autism?
Need to know is there any full day or half day childcare whoch will accept these kids.
Desperately looking for one cause by this year end no one will be able to look after my son.

Mine has speech delay and eventually assessed as autism by speech therapist
There's quite a number of childcare with early interventions but also depending on your location and also whether with/without subsidies

I sent my Autistic child to TAPS Centre @ Kovan for neurofeedback after my friend recommended me with her ADHD son's success. The therapist and psychologists there are very nice, patient. They are very knowledgeable also. 3 months in, and my son starting being able to express in speech when he is upset, his meltdowns have greatly decreased (most imptly), and he has even started writing! I was really amazed. Though it is more expensive then govt hospitals, it beats being put on the long waiting list in hospitals and waiting for 3 months minimum in between therapy sessions.

You can try St Gerard' s Sch as it is an integrated school. They havevtheir own speech therapists and occupational therapists and is a very supportive environment. I have my son in there and he has shown so much improvement in all regards. Lately many new children have joined in. You may want to check the school out. They provide half day and full day programs. You can pm me should you want more info.
Cheers.
Serene Tan.

You can try St Gerard' s Sch as it is an integrated school. They havevtheir own speech therapists and occupational therapists and is a very supportive environment. I have my son in there and he has shown so much improvement in all regards. Lately many new children have joined in. You may want to check the school out. They provide half day and full day programs. You can pm me should you want more info.
Cheers.
Serene Tan.
may I know how much is the fees for full day and do they provide school bus

may I know how much is the fees for full day and do they provide school bus
Hi.
They have everything under one roof and i stay far too. But the work they have done with my child is so impressive that i have no regrets. The full day is 1500 before subsidy. And includes 3 group therapy sessions. They have an external bus service provider. You can try calling up the Principal directly as she tends to be very busy. A good time to catch her would be in the late afternoons when she is in the office. She teaches in the class and my she is fantastic and dedicated and the children actually blossom with her. You can just find out more from her. There are many new children in the school now from what i observe and hear from the parents. Best to check on availability as i heard that she is starting or has just started another new early intervention class. All the best.

Hi.
They have everything under one roof and i stay far too. But the work they have done with my child is so impressive that i have no regrets. The full day is 1500 before subsidy. And includes 3 group therapy sessions. They have an external bus service provider. You can try calling up the Principal directly as she tends to be very busy. A good time to catch her would be in the late afternoons when she is in the office. She teaches in the class and my she is fantastic and dedicated and the children actually blossom with her. You can just find out more from her. There are many new children in the school now from what i observe and hear from the parents. Best to check on availability as i heard that she is starting or has just started another new early intervention class. All the best.
may I know the subsidy is how much?

Hi my son has suspected mild autism n still not talking yet.

He is going to early intervention center now. I thinking of finding one preschool (don't have to be a childcare) where he can also interact with normal kids n learn academic skills.

Any recommendations. I living at red hill

well I tried several government organisations and i don't find them really effective , ( well thats my personal opinion) there is a long waiting list. as for the private therapy centres ( in Orchard road) are too expensive and really not value for money and I get a sense they only care for the money and not the child. someone from my church introduced this semi retired therapist who was a former therapy manager. I check him out and he is a registered therapist with the MOH. the good thing about him is that he isn't too expensive ( yes for me this is important as we are not rich) and he does both speech , behaviour and academic support. when he first started my boy could barely talk and was very restless . At least now he can read basic words and isnt so fidgety. and he attempts all the questions in the exams . I am really indebted to this man. He is really passionate about his work and he is very professional. however he is very selective and only works with parents who are serious. but I guess most parents still prefer the big hospitals

well I tried several government organisations and i don't find them really effective , ( well thats my personal opinion) there is a long waiting list. as for the private therapy centres ( in Orchard road) are too expensive and really not value for money and I get a sense they only care for the money and not the child. someone from my church introduced this semi retired therapist who was a former therapy manager. I check him out and he is a registered therapist with the MOH. the good thing about him is that he isn't too expensive ( yes for me this is important as we are not rich) and he does both speech , behaviour and academic support. when he first started my boy could barely talk and was very restless . At least now he can read basic words and isnt so fidgety. and he attempts all the questions in the exams . I am really indebted to this man. He is really passionate about his work and he is very professional. however he is very selective and only works with parents who are serious. but I guess most parents still prefer the big hospitals
Please may I know your threapist contact number. My email address is [email protected]

Hi all,

I'm also concerned about my child as well. She is turning 3 in a couple of months' time and she is a late bloomer. She only started walking at 20 months and even now when she walks or runs, she is not that stable.

Right now, she is still unable to talk in proper sentences, her pronunciation is not good and those who are not close to her usually do not know what she is talking about. She can't recognize colors, alphabets and numbers. I have tried to learn through play with her but she is not keen.

She started nursery playgroup (2 hourly) in Jan this year and feedback from her teachers that she doesn't really express herself, very quiet and reserved. She also doesn't really talk in school nor play with others. At home, she is very chatty so I believe it is the environment.

Almost all the kids in her class already knows the routine upon reaching school such as keeping their water bottles and bags, removing shoes and keeping them, but my girl will just stand in a corner watching everyone. If the teacher notices her, the teacher will tell her what to do but when the teachers are busy with other kids, she will just stand there carrying her bag and stuff. Sometimes she is forgotten as the class commences and I saw her still standing there!

During the parent-teacher meeting, i raised my concerns to the teachers but they told me to monitor first and it is not necessary to send her for any assessment at the moment.

My child has been attending the right-brain training for 9 months now and I do not see much improvement as well. It makes me even more paranoid when I see her peers in the same class as her being able to respond well in class and understanding instructions.

Does anyone who have kids which are "slower" attending childcare?
I have an elder child who is attending a childcare which i think is pretty good. She is graduating this year. I am thinking if I should enroll my younger one while her sister is still there so at least there is company. But I am afraid this will cause more fear for my younger child as I change her environment again. Most importantly there are more activities in the childcare which I hope can instill more learning to my child.

HI Kayliz,
My girl had the similar issues as your girl. I have tried to send her to Mindchamps preschool and other montessori school but with a lot of support at home, she still did not do well. She had problems with reading and remembering colours and shapes etc. She was very very slow in learning.

I did send her for some intervention including brainwave training which is not the same as right brain training which I found very helpful for her, Her teachers did see a difference in her academics and when I sent her for phonics class, she could start to read which I thought was virtually impossible for her.

Let me know if you need the contacts.

Hi Pinkamoon, can I have the contacts ? My 3yo son have the same problems too.
I send him to Montessori childcare for 6 months already, there seems to be improvement but the teachers there
say he still refuse to listen to intsructions and slow in learning.
He cannot speak in sentences and express well what he wants.

Hi Bradia, can pm your therapy contact pls? Thks

Hi Bradia - Are you able to share the contact with me pls?
I really really need for my 3 year old :(.
I'm trying the private centers (we are PRs so waiting list for subsidized centers are not an option). We have been doing a lot for our boy on our own and paying arm & leg for early interventions. Your post about the passionate teacher gave me hope so I can help my son find find his match. Praying for the right teacher.
Thanks,
Blessedbe

HI Kayliz,
My girl had the similar issues as your girl. I have tried to send her to Mindchamps preschool and other montessori school but with a lot of support at home, she still did not do well. She had problems with reading and remembering colours and shapes etc. She was very very slow in learning.

I did send her for some intervention including brainwave training which is not the same as right brain training which I found very helpful for her, Her teachers did see a difference in her academics and when I sent her for phonics class, she could start to read which I thought was virtually impossible for her.

Let me know if you need the contacts.
Would you have a link on the brainwave training? My child has been diagnosed with global developmental delay and is very behind on speech but there are days that he will suddenly say words so we know he had the capacity for it. TIA

Whats your l
Hi Bradia - Are you able to share the contact with me pls?
I really really need for my 3 year old :(.
I'm trying the private centers (we are PRs so waiting list for subsidized centers are not an option). We have been doing a lot for our boy on our own and paying arm & leg for early interventions. Your post about the passionate teacher gave me hope so I can help my son find find his match. Praying for the right teacher.
Thanks,
Blessedbe[/

Whats your location and the child diagnosis?

Hi 2angels2016! They only received training at 5 because any earlier was not allowed. I will pm you the contact info.

Hi all,

I'm also concerned about my child as well. She is turning 3 in a couple of months' time and she is a late bloomer. She only started walking at 20 months and even now when she walks or runs, she is not that stable.

Right now, she is still unable to talk in proper sentences, her pronunciation is not good and those who are not close to her usually do not know what she is talking about. She can't recognize colors, alphabets and numbers. I have tried to learn through play with her but she is not keen.

She started nursery playgroup (2 hourly) in Jan this year and feedback from her teachers that she doesn't really express herself, very quiet and reserved. She also doesn't really talk in school nor play with others. At home, she is very chatty so I believe it is the environment.

Almost all the kids in her class already knows the routine upon reaching school such as keeping their water bottles and bags, removing shoes and keeping them, but my girl will just stand in a corner watching everyone. If the teacher notices her, the teacher will tell her what to do but when the teachers are busy with other kids, she will just stand there carrying her bag and stuff. Sometimes she is forgotten as the class commences and I saw her still standing there!

During the parent-teacher meeting, i raised my concerns to the teachers but they told me to monitor first and it is not necessary to send her for any assessment at the moment.

My child has been attending the right-brain training for 9 months now and I do not see much improvement as well. It makes me even more paranoid when I see her peers in the same class as her being able to respond well in class and understanding instructions.

Does anyone who have kids which are "slower" attending childcare?
I have an elder child who is attending a childcare which i think is pretty good. She is graduating this year. I am thinking if I should enroll my younger one while her sister is still there so at least there is company. But I am afraid this will cause more fear for my younger child as I change her environment again. Most importantly there are more activities in the childcare which I hope can instill more learning to my child.

Hi Kayliz,

This response may be a bit late but I'm still posting in case there are parents out there with similar issues. I can imagine the worry you must have when you see your daughter falling behind. From what I gathered, there may be a few issues regarding why your daughter is not able to follow instructions in the classroom.

Since I haven't seen your daughter, I can't say for sure. But it is likely that she might have some receptive language issues, which means that she is not understanding what is said to her. This will have to be tackled in 2 ways:
1) Getting her classroom teachers to use single words or very simple phrases with her. It will also be beneficial if they can include visual cues such as pointing to provide more clues.
2) See if her teachers can assign a buddy to her in the classroom. The buddy will be helpful for assisting her to follow instructions in class.
3) Helping her to understand more language. This will require speech therapy and you can also work on it at home with books and through playing with her
4) Do lots of modelling but simplify your own language when you talk to her. Speak at a level that is one-step above what she is currently capable of. For example, if she is speaking using single words, speak to her using 2-word phrases.

With regards to her being difficult to understand, children by the age of 3 should be about 75% intelligible. This means that most people (even people unfamiliar to her) will be able to understand most of what she says. So it does sound like she may have some speech issues as well.

As for expressive language, how long are her sentences? How many words does she have? What kinds of words (location, pronouns, actions etc) does she use? The answer to these questions will determine if there is a expressive language delay/disorder.

But it seems like regardless of your answer for the above questions, she will benefit from speech therapy targeting her receptive language. If there is a wait-list for services, you can try out the suggestions I have mentioned above so that you can get things going while you wait. Remember, delaying treatment will mean that your child is not getting help during this critical period of growth and development. Capitalise on brain plasticity while you can :)

Good luck and all the best!
Jia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speech and Talk | Helping your child communicate
speechandtalk.com

Last edited:
With or without therapy, u need do lots of pratise at home.
When talking or playing with the child , use one single word, then increase to two phase words . Reading, picture books , flash card to recognise the picture and words. Need to pratise a lot and must be very patience . Need to encourage and praise them.
You can also read this book It Takes Two to Talk.
A practical guide for parents of children with language delays .
You will see results gradually..

All the best and good luck.

Hello, just wanted to chime in and say that flashcards are great! I use this technique where I get the kid to high-five the flashcard and say the word/picture/phrase that is on the card. It adds a fun element to learning, and is effective to help kids stay engaged during that few seconds. Works great on kids with autism as well - even the moderate to severe ones.

Hi. My son is entering pri school next year. Am thinking of getting a shadow teacher for the first couple of months. Does anyone have recommendations or experience in getting a school shadowing support for your kids? How much are the charges roughly? Thank you.

My son refused to talk when he is 2yrs plus. I went to KKH and they refer me to AWWA which they have quite a lot of school in different location. They conduct 2.5hrs sessions either 2, 3 or 5 days per week. On top of that, they also attend preschool. Thereafter, he has shown great improvement.

Hi mummies, I wonder what happened to your kids? Are they doing well? I have a 27 month old boy..who was doing very well..delveloping his milestones well..but lately I have started realising he doesn’t have much eye contact..likes to walk along the same distance..doesn’t say much words but can repeat words when we tell him to..also was very smart and cld recite alphabets, numbers and colours as early as 18 months..I have an appointments 3 months later but I am already gg crazy searching and reading..praying he isn’t..but there are some off signs..so worried

My niece was also diagnosed with mild autism, and she also showed speech delays. I think she was over 2 years old but she still won't speak. Her doctor also mentioned that her slower speech development was caused by too much screen time. She loves watching videos and playing on her tablet.

My niece was also diagnosed with mild autism, and she also showed speech delays. I think she was over 2 years old but she still won't speak. Her doctor also mentioned that her slower speech development was caused by too much screen time. She loves watching videos and playing on her tablet.

I dunno if screen time is the main culprit or something in their brain struck a new chord. My son also had plenty of screen time thanks to COVID..it’s so sad..had I knew such would happen, I would prolly not have given him so much screen time..but then again, every other kid also does do that..have no idea why..

I dunno if screen time is the main culprit or something in their brain struck a new chord. My son also had plenty of screen time thanks to COVID..it’s so sad..had I knew such would happen, I would prolly not have given him so much screen time..but then again, every other kid also does do that..have no idea why..

It really is a challenge today to keep kids away from phones and tablets, especially now with the pandemic. We have to be more proactive and creative in creating activities for our children to be more sociable and for them to develop their skills.

Back