Side effects after c sect or epidural

akumakira

Hi I would like to find out from those who had c sect or epidural previously, did u suffer from any long term side effects? Am considering c section with epidural or ga but am not sure whether I would regret in future

Hi, I had Csec with epidural 4 yrs ago to deliver my son. No long term side effect. Only shivering & vomiting immediately after delivery but subside very fast. After Csec, 2nd day onwards I can walk around le, even went to nursery to see my son, go toilet on my own. Even went shopping for a short while immediately after discharge. Haha!

hi @akumakira

I'm gg to be an Apr Mum expecting my no. 3. I had epidural for no.2 (and hoping I don't need it for this coming one).

Was talking to my gynea today as I was enquiring about emergency C-Sec procedures how it will be like, he mentioned that:

GA is generally higher risk than epidural - due to possible occurance of "aspiration pneumonia" due to GA, and that can make you end up in ICU.

GA is a procedure that you rely machines to help you breathe and function when you are under the GA- tubes will be inserted into your mouth, which they will tell you there are possible risks of knocking off your teeth/denture, you won't be allowed to eat for quite a while (I rem my last GA op for some other surgery I could not eat until after 12-15 hrs) after the op as you may throw up the food due to the effects of the GA. There is a longer recovery time and hence you will get skin-to-skin contact & breastfeed your child later.

Note - Your hubby will not be able to be with you during GA C-Sec procedure.

For Epidural - the risk is the side effects (which varies from person to person, mine was shivering, felt like ants biting, nausousness) + the fact that sometimes it does not work fully (you will still be able to feel things after having epidurals). Hubby can stay with you throughout the c-sec.

Shorter recovery time compare to GA.

Usually for feutus distress, gynea will opt go for GA as it will be faster to administer.

Why don't you consider natural birth first and opt for c-sec only if necessary?

Cos C-sec has a longer recovery time than natural vaginal birth, and the wound recovery time can affect your breast feeding, etc. If inside of the wound not healed well will affect your next pregnancy's labour as well. Do it only if necessary lah...

I had my c sec last dec n I also have no side effect. I could walk ard day 2 n bath n discharged on day 3. I think it depends on ur body if there are any side effects. My fren had c sec for both her kids but different reaction to the epidural. Personally I feel that If I'm under GA, I will not b in time to wake up n eat the pain killers. Whereas for epidural, I can still b awake to eat pain killers to cover the pain this maybe it was very fuss free for me. I will not hesitate to go for c sec with epidural again. :)

Hi, I had C-sect with epidural 6 years ago. The only immediate side effect I had was shivering. I could walk around on the 2nd day and discharged on the 3rd day. I did not have any problems moving around and my C-sect wound recovered within a week. I am currently expecting again and will likely be going for a C-sect again.

I had 2 natural births with epidural for both pregnancies. Was lucky that I do not have any side effects from epidural for my 1st. However, I had vomiting and shivering for my 2nd. Its kind of awful as the vomiting lasted quite awhile until I fell asleep.

Thanks everyone for the replies!! They were most helpful..for those with c sect, can I know how long did the wound tk to heal and was it painful?

Actually I have a medical condition n am keen on natural birth bt am worried my body wont b able to tk it all the way..I have heard of cases for ppl who tried natural n have to have emergency c sect n bills came up to over 10k..thus making me hesitant to tk the risk..we cant really afford it if the charges are that high so I'm really stuck in a rut now

Mine was an E c sect due to placenta abruption. My bill was 6k+ if I remember correctly from TMC.

I can walked on my own on the 2nd day and no pain killer was needed at all. External wound heal within a month with daily binding. My wound had a small incision due to post natal massage binder was too tight but it heals on it own after a while. So do take note not to bind too tight.

Hi, I have my delivery scheduled for this Saturday, a c-section with half-body anaesthetic. Gynea mentioned that it is a safer procedure rather than a full-body anaesthetic. Also, my husband will be allowed to be in the operating room with half-body anaesthetic. So far I do not want to think about it stresses me out. I will keep you posted on the side effect once I feel better.

Hi all, I am also curious about this issue as I might need to opt for a c-sect for delivery. May I ask if morphine is administered after the c-sect for pain relief? I am allergic to morphine and was wondering if they do give other painkillers? Thanks!

I had c-sect with epidural last week, baby in breech so no choice but to c-sect. I didn't get any side effects but they didnt allow me to have any water for about 5 - 6hrs after c-sect, no lunch too.

Alyssaria, morphine was administered for me after c-sect. Perhaps you need to inform your gynae and the nurses that you are allergy to morphine and check with your gynae earlier if there is other option.

@audreyaw

Thanks! I will let the gynae know. I had a previous op that was administered morphine and i had terrible nausea followed by slight rashes on my body. So dont think i wanna use morphine if possible. On a scale of one to ten how bad is the pain during recovery?

Alyssaria, I think it has to depends on individual pain tolerance. It felt like contraction pain for me before I was allowed to get down, it came on and off every few minutes. Morphine only help in reliving the pain for few hours before I had to request to increase the dosage, I had it increased thrice before I gave up and tolerate it. I'm not sure if it's more painful than usual because I did tubal ligation at the same time.

Second day is a total nightmare for me, no one mentioned how difficult it was just to get down from the bed. I took a good 5 minutes just to get down with 2 nurses assistance and was sweating from top to toe just walking to the toilet and back onto the bed. I kept forcing myself to walk that day, took me a long time to get down each time and I got my hubby to assist me in standing up. Make use of the hospital bed to get down, make sure the back of the bed is as vertical as you can handle, it helps. Perhaps it might be because I did not use a binder, in fact I wasn't prepared physically and mentally. It was an emergency c-sect at 30 weeks so not in time to prepare everything, even my delivery bag was packed on that day. Try to walk up straight, not easy but it (the pain) will be more manageable once you did that.

Hi there!

Having an epidural instead of a GA would be able to allow a mum to have skin to skin contact with baby sooner (in the recovery room) cause mum is conscious. Skin to skin contact will facilitate breastfeeding in the magical first hour within birth. So do consider this if you're considering having a good start to breastfeeding.

Also, being able to see baby come into the world will provide some comfort unlike with a GA, where mums could struggle with a "black hole" in their memory of suddenly waking up to a baby outside her body.

And having a breech baby vaginally is possible in Singapore. A number of gynaes do have the skill to attend breech births. Alternatively, getting babies to turn via chiropractic techniques or even external cephalic version or positions found on spinning babies website.

Thanks everyone for the replies!! They were most helpful..for those with c sect, can I know how long did the wound tk to heal and was it painful?

Actually I have a medical condition n am keen on natural birth bt am worried my body wont b able to tk it all the way..I have heard of cases for ppl who tried natural n have to have emergency c sect n bills came up to over 10k..thus making me hesitant to tk the risk..we cant really afford it if the charges are that high so I'm really stuck in a rut now

I guess the best is still to seek your gynae's advice. Cox we also dunno how risky if given an existing medical condition.
We can plan and go through our desired birth plans with our gynae, but its may not turn out what we imagined. Medical bills are secondary. Safety and health of both mommy and baby are the most important. Meanwhile, just enjoy this magical journey and let nature take its course :)

Hi,

I had a scheduled c-section with epidural in Jan 2013 as my twin one was breech. Hubby was allowed in the delivery ward. My bill was close to 7k for class A ward in KKH, as compared to close to 10k for someone I know who opted for natural birth, went through a 20hr labour pain, then had to go for emergency c-sect at TMC.

So far I do not observe any long term side effect, but I had a very bad drug allergy reaction at the delivery ward right after the antibiotic dose was administered. Honestly, I didn't know whether morphine was administered, cos before my delivery, I didn't know that I had a drug allergy so I didn't bother asking. Basically, I saw stars, threw up, my face turned flush and I had breathing difficulties. I spent close to 3 hrs in the recovery room and could't breastfeed my babies on the first day as I was too giddy. KKH did help me identify which drug I was allergic to after that though :) Ur gynae, the nurses at ur ward, as well as the nurses at the delivery ward will ask u whether u have allergies, so u shld have plenty of chances to inform them of ur morphine allergy and check with them on the alternatives :)

As for the wound recovery, day 2-3 were very bad, much similar to what audreyyaw described. I felt a pull at the right side of my abdominal, which was very bad on the first 2 days and took 2 whole weeks to go away. My sis was able to walk ard without much pain a day after her c-sect though, so I guess it varies from person to person. :)

Last edited:
I wore it 24 hrs a day. Can't remember exactly when I took it off, but I wore it at least through my confinement. I bought 2 binders so that I could always have one on when I wash the other.

hi mummies, wld like to ask if your wound itches or at times felt pain after c-sect cos mine does occassionally. Had mine in jan 2013.

Hi may i know will the hospital provide the binder or we have to get our own? Just those normal binder will do? Will it help the c section area to be less painful? Thanks.

Good day, I had my c sect in Jan'13 as well :) The wound still itches but no pain.

Kkh did not provide the binder, but they do sell it in the pharmacy. I bought mine from TMC though, cos my sis recommended it.

Thanks to all who replied!! The date is nearing but am still undecided on whether to go for natural or csect..

Any more advise fr mommies that have gone through both will b greatly appreciated!

Advise fr lupus patients will b greatly appreciated too!

Back