Scared to be pregnant at work

nicole23

hi mums, I’m not pregnant yet but plan to conceive hopefully end-March 2022. I look forward to it! But there’s one thing that’s majorly bothering me and I’m hoping you guys have some advice for me…

Im really worried about being pregnant at the workplace. I’ve been in my firm 2yrs but still feel too new to go on ML. I feel like I will only ‘deserve’ ML if I’ve worked like 15yrs or something, and I think this mindset is not healthy or correct. I’m very anxious about people knowing when I get a belly, and I don’t want them to think weird things about me/my personal life, or think I’m not dedicated to my job, or that I’m a liability. My bosses and most coworkers are male, though my HR is female (but unwed). I feel like I may face judgement and I’m scared. I don’t want to feel this way when forming a family should be a joyous thing for my husband and I :) please help me with your perspective… I try to tell myself that the government pays for most of the ML, so I won’t “owe” my firm. this sort of helps me feel less guilty but not enough to put me at ease.

I’m busy mentally calculating if my ML will coincide with my office busy period etc, and whether my boss will judge me for being away, and I don’t think I should be doing that because rationally I know a job is a job…they wouldn’t think twice to sack me if it benefits them, so it’s stupid to plan my life events around them. But gosh I’m so scared!

if anyone has tips, advice, or can spare a listening ear to me, please let me know.. or if you have clothes that hide baby bumps please tell me too hahah. I would love to have a mom-friend. Right now I’m 28-29years old and my friends are mostly single so I have no one to talk to.

thanks everyone :))

Actually there's no concern whether or not how long you have served in the company. It's not owned or anything to do with guilt for going off a long period of time. In fact, ask yourself whether its the little bundle of joy more important to you in your life or being 101% at work weights off.

It's ok to be away from office peak/missing out in the major work milestone so long your KPI is met along the way and you deserve the time away after having the "next love" of your life! PS: ML is not a break, honestly its the worst/best time of your life depends how you see it with sleep deprive/crying/latching etc

Oh my, dear Nicole, it's not a fault to have baby. You will be a role model to your coworkers when you handling two roles at the same time during pregnancy.
If you want to focus on your career, maybe you should consider to try out having baby a little later. But if you already set your mind to be a mummy and you and your husband are getting ready for the next phase of the family life. Then focus on it while still be responsible to your work. Remember be proud of yourselves and your baby, no point to hide it!

hi mums, I’m not pregnant yet but plan to conceive hopefully end-March 2022. I look forward to it! But there’s one thing that’s majorly bothering me and I’m hoping you guys have some advice for me…

Im really worried about being pregnant at the workplace. I’ve been in my firm 2yrs but still feel too new to go on ML. I feel like I will only ‘deserve’ ML if I’ve worked like 15yrs or something, and I think this mindset is not healthy or correct. I’m very anxious about people knowing when I get a belly, and I don’t want them to think weird things about me/my personal life, or think I’m not dedicated to my job, or that I’m a liability. My bosses and most coworkers are male, though my HR is female (but unwed). I feel like I may face judgement and I’m scared. I don’t want to feel this way when forming a family should be a joyous thing for my husband and I :) please help me with your perspective… I try to tell myself that the government pays for most of the ML, so I won’t “owe” my firm. this sort of helps me feel less guilty but not enough to put me at ease.

I’m busy mentally calculating if my ML will coincide with my office busy period etc, and whether my boss will judge me for being away, and I don’t think I should be doing that because rationally I know a job is a job…they wouldn’t think twice to sack me if it benefits them, so it’s stupid to plan my life events around them. But gosh I’m so scared!

if anyone has tips, advice, or can spare a listening ear to me, please let me know.. or if you have clothes that hide baby bumps please tell me too hahah. I would love to have a mom-friend. Right now I’m 28-29years old and my friends are mostly single so I have no one to talk to.

thanks everyone :))
my current job is my second one and i got pregnant after i joined 3 months but i only informed my employer when i am around 8 months pregnancy. sg law ensures our rights and there is nothing wrong for you to take ML in the workplace. if your employer really shows negative attitude, i don think the culture of the company is good enough. hope u are less stressed now.

Back