Private vs KKH private vs subsidized

Choco123

hi all, I am a first time mum-to-be and feeling very lost about the many gynae choices out there, and would appreciate any help or advice! :)

We are considering between private and kkh private, but my husband is leaning towards kkh private, as he had read that it is possible to convert from kkh private to kkh subsidized, which will help reduce cost in the event there are any complications. His main concern is the significant cost increase if there are any complications during and after delivery... For me, I have no preference but preferably I would like a minimum amount of comfort during my checkups and delivery.

I have a few questions and would like to seek your advice based on your experience!

1) is it true that you can convert from kkh private to kkh subsidized in the event of complications?
2) any mummies out there can share the experience of kkh private? Will all checkups be at the private suite (including any scans, payment, collection of medicine etc)? I have read other posts from kkh private mummies and seems like their checkups could be at clinic D instead of the private suite, and they have to go to different areas for checkup, scan, payment etc.
3) for kkh private, will the gynae be there during delivery, or midwife?

As we are very very new to this, any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Even u are on private now but find out complication, u can go poly anytime to get referrer letter n go in KKH at subsidize patient but u might see diff gynea each visit.

KKH private do not have private suite!! All scan n payment are same counter. The different is u see same gynea each time.

Depend which gynea, they are in different area. If I not mistaken clinic D is at Children Tower very cosy place
Clinic A which is usually private gynea place but Prof TC Tan are at clinic B which is subsidize place. He occupied 2 room there but he is on private only

Gynea will help u during labour provided he/she no on leave or out station.

We were advice we can write in to request convert to subsidize for LO if any complication after give birth.

hi all, I am a first time mum-to-be and feeling very lost about the many gynae choices out there, and would appreciate any help or advice! :)

We are considering between private and kkh private, but my husband is leaning towards kkh private, as he had read that it is possible to convert from kkh private to kkh subsidized, which will help reduce cost in the event there are any complications. His main concern is the significant cost increase if there are any complications during and after delivery... For me, I have no preference but preferably I would like a minimum amount of comfort during my checkups and delivery.

I have a few questions and would like to seek your advice based on your experience!

1) is it true that you can convert from kkh private to kkh subsidized in the event of complications?
2) any mummies out there can share the experience of kkh private? Will all checkups be at the private suite (including any scans, payment, collection of medicine etc)? I have read other posts from kkh private mummies and seems like their checkups could be at clinic D instead of the private suite, and they have to go to different areas for checkup, scan, payment etc.
3) for kkh private, will the gynae be there during delivery, or midwife?

As we are very very new to this, any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

From my own experience, I would do it the reversed way for my next pregnancy:
Instead of starting KKH private then switching to KKH subsidised, I would start as a subsidised patient, then switch to private should complications arise.

KKH schedules all the necessary scans and tests when at the appropriate weeks of pregnancy, only at a much lower cost if you are subsidised, so why not save on expenses since you would be doing the same tests/scans regardless of whether you are under private or subsidised anyway. Then, if anywhere along the way complications arise and you'd rather have a fixed gynae, switch over to the private scheme.

I am 30 weeks pregnant now and originally started with a private gynae outside of KKH, until I decided to do the NIPT Harmony Test at about week 10. My private clinic was charging $1000, while it would only cost about $400 for the same test at KKH, so I visited a polyclinic to get a referral to KKH. So far, going subsidised has reduced my prenatal bills by half! With the cost-savings so far, I can comfortably consider upgrading to a private delivery package in KKH if I decide on staying in a single-bedded ward (subsidised patients don't have this option).

Waiting times as a subsidised patient are definitely longer than going private, but they issue MCs so I am covered for my time away from work. Also, I had no specific gynae I wanted, so going private didn't really make sense since it could mean I might end up with a gynae I am not comfortable with, while still paying a premium. Going subsidised means that you see a different doctor each consultation - there are hits and misses really, but again, you also get multiple perspectives, which is not a bad thing either.

So I guess it depends on your priorities - if you want cost-savings, and are okay with longer waiting times and seeing different doctors, go the subsidised route. Thankfully mine has been a non-complicated pregnancy so far, so seeing different doctors has been perfectly fine for me. You can switch to private anytime you decide to. If you're after comfort and attention, or have a history of pregnancy complications, going private might make more sense. And in this case you can switch to subsidised to save on delivery and ward charges if necessary.

I agree with adew. Start subsidized then change to private if necessary. The private suite has been changed to clinic L. But depends on the private dr you choose there’s clinic A on level 1, clinic D at basement 1, etc. subsidized is clinic C. Waiting line is longer for subsidized for even the AMC & ADC scans.

From my own experience, I would do it the reversed way for my next pregnancy:
Instead of starting KKH private then switching to KKH subsidised, I would start as a subsidised patient, then switch to private should complications arise.

KKH schedules all the necessary scans and tests when at the appropriate weeks of pregnancy, only at a much lower cost if you are subsidised, so why not save on expenses since you would be doing the same tests/scans regardless of whether you are under private or subsidised anyway. Then, if anywhere along the way complications arise and you'd rather have a fixed gynae, switch over to the private scheme.

I am 30 weeks pregnant now and originally started with a private gynae outside of KKH, until I decided to do the NIPT Harmony Test at about week 10. My private clinic was charging $1000, while it would only cost about $400 for the same test at KKH, so I visited a polyclinic to get a referral to KKH. So far, going subsidised has reduced my prenatal bills by half! With the cost-savings so far, I can comfortably consider upgrading to a private delivery package in KKH if I decide on staying in a single-bedded ward (subsidised patients don't have this option).

Waiting times as a subsidised patient are definitely longer than going private, but they issue MCs so I am covered for my time away from work. Also, I had no specific gynae I wanted, so going private didn't really make sense since it could mean I might end up with a gynae I am not comfortable with, while still paying a premium. Going subsidised means that you see a different doctor each consultation - there are hits and misses really, but again, you also get multiple perspectives, which is not a bad thing either.

So I guess it depends on your priorities - if you want cost-savings, and are okay with longer waiting times and seeing different doctors, go the subsidised route. Thankfully mine has been a non-complicated pregnancy so far, so seeing different doctors has been perfectly fine for me. You can switch to private anytime you decide to. If you're after comfort and attention, or have a history of pregnancy complications, going private might make more sense. And in this case you can switch to subsidised to save on delivery and ward charges if necessary.

Hi Adew, thanks for sharing as I have the same sentiments as you! Glad that I read your post as I was previously lost regarding the whole subsidized and private scheme. Would like to ask a few questions tho as this is my first pregnancy and I am rather lost with regards to how the whole delivery scheme works.

1. As I am now under the subsidized scheme, seeing different gynae which I dont mind at all, will I be able to get a doctor to deliver my baby instead of a mid-wife?
2. Also, as I wish to stay in an A Ward (for the sake of comfort eg. lower noise level, private resting space, less disturbances from nurses checking other mommies), would that mean that this will be considered under a private scheme?
3. When do I inform KKH that I would like to deliver with a doctor instead?
4. How do I inform KKH or rather, to which department?
5. How and when do I have to inform them that I wish to stay in an A Ward?

Thank you :))

Hi Adew, thanks for sharing as I have the same sentiments as you! Glad that I read your post as I was previously lost regarding the whole subsidized and private scheme. Would like to ask a few questions tho as this is my first pregnancy and I am rather lost with regards to how the whole delivery scheme works.

1. As I am now under the subsidized scheme, seeing different gynae which I dont mind at all, will I be able to get a doctor to deliver my baby instead of a mid-wife?
2. Also, as I wish to stay in an A Ward (for the sake of comfort eg. lower noise level, private resting space, less disturbances from nurses checking other mommies), would that mean that this will be considered under a private scheme?

There is no guarantee the gynea you choose will help you deliver. In case he/she oversaw or have some other urgency, mid-wife or other gynea will do the deliver. :)

Hi Suelee

I didn't switch to private for delivery eventually, but here are my replies to the best of my understanding:

1. I just delivered a week ago as a subsidised patient, and it was mostly the midwives that took care of things during the few hours I was in the delivery suite. The doctor on duty just came by once or twice to check on things, and also did the stitching post-delivery. The one who delivered my baby was a midwife, and she knew what she was doing, so all was good.

2. Yes, staying in an A-class ward means that you'll be billed as a private patient. I believe you'll be billed as private starting from the the subsequent gynae appointment after you request to upgrade to private, and not just for the delivery itself.

3. Chances are that you won't be able to request for a doctor during delivery under the subsidised scheme.

4. I assume you are asking about how to inform about requesting for a doctor instead of a midwife? Once again, I doubt this can be done as a subsidised patient. You may want to confirm this with the registration staff at the clinic at your next routine checkup.

5. Anytime you wish I think, but I read about another mum who requested to switch to private at week 36, but the gynae she wanted was no longer available. So I guess not too late, especially for those with higher chances of preterm labour. You can check on this at the Admissions Office at Level 1. Get a queue number, and they can also advise you on the financial estimates based on your preferred ward(s).

Hope this helps a bit :)

You can start off as a subsidized patient so that u can do the necessary tests at a cheaper rate then switch over to private when you’re in your 2nd trimester or beginning 3rd trimester if your pregnancy is mostly uneventful.

But if there are complications like risk of preterm labour or low placenta etc then u may want to remain as subsidized to save costs unless u die die want a certain gynae.

The only bad thing I can think of as a subsidized the drs seeing u are quite junior and abit scared to give HL. If u choose private u can choose a gynae who is more generous with HL?

Back