Premature babies support group

Hi viman,

Now he's a very active boy. Look a bit small size than other children. He was borned at kkh. He stayed there for 11 mth plus. Don't worry over this, my boy is an exceptional case. Most of the babies will discharge after 2-3 mths stay.

At this moment, dun worry so much. Talk to yr baby and ask him to hang on. Be strong and take care of yourself, if really deliver early, he needs yr support.

Yours ia a boy or girl?

Thanks for your words of encouragement, really need them. Mine is a girl. Your boy was in NICU for 11 months? You must have been so brave! Happy to know that he's doing all right now.
happy.gif

Hi viman, my girl was born 760g at 28weeks at Kkh. She stayed in nicu n special care for a total of 143days. As she hv issues w swallowing n cldnt suck, due to high arched palates, therefore she's discharged w feeding tube. She's ca 7mths old now. Dun wori, u will b fine. R u w Kkh? If yes, ur bb is in good hands n the most professional care. Cos Kkh hv everything tat premie or vlbw bb needs. ;)

Btw, anyone mummies w tube feeding bbs to share their experiences w me pls? Cos my girl hv high arched palate n she still can't swallow w semi solids. I get frustrated n wonder how long it will b soon tat she do not need the feeding tube. I hv a 23mths old boy, who's born full term.

Appreciates any advices pls. Thks in advance!

bbmermaid, this is Neil's mummy here. Is your girl still on the green NG tube? Does she gag and cough a lot? You may remember that N also has bad reflux, and would gag and cough all day long. Dr advised us to do an op, but we declined. So the next best thing we did is to insert an NJ tube (down to intestines). It does work - only vomiting a little bit every 3-4 days now! But need feeding pump bc of continuous feeds.

Anyway what I wanted to tell you is.. Neil now has a very soft and flexible tube called a Freka tube. I can see that his coughing and gagging is dramatically reduced. Maybe you can ask the Dr to switch you to that tube on your next visit to KK. Insert the soft tube as a NG. Downside is that you have to ask a Dr to insert for you, and it is very soft and may get kinked easily. Upside is it can last for 2-3 months if you take care of it. It may help your bb's oral aversion because the green tube is really very irritating to their throats.

Hi neil's mummy... Thks for the advise ;)

Gracie is still on the green tube, but she dun cough or gag tat much, only wen i insert new tube. Her reflux hv oso improves alot now tat she's older. I will ask dr agarwal abt the freka tube on the next visit.

Neil still need assisted oxygen? Hv he gain back the weight he lost aft his discharge? How ur girl? Pls send my regards to your mum
happy.gif

bbmermaid, if your bb is ok with the green tube then prob don't need to bother with the other one. Is quite a hassle to go to kk to insert. Hopefully your bb can go to total oral feeds soon. Jia you
happy.gif

Neil still on cannula. Gained some wt due to better feeding, now 7.3
happy.gif
My girl is doing well..v big size and close to standing on her own.

Thk u, neil's mummy... I hope so too, tat she can go onto oral feeding n dun hv to depend on the feeding tube. But looking at her progress, I'm not very optimistic. Jus tell myself tat she needs more time.

Good to hear tat Neil hv gain weight. Ur girl was so adorable n active wen I saw her at Kkh with ur mum
happy.gif

Hi great parents out there,
I share your feelings too. I 'collected' my 26+5weeker baby on CNY eve. He is now 3 weeks corrected age.
The path is not easy, shuttling between only home & KKH.
It doesnt stop there as well.
Currently, I'm trying to get my baby insured. His medishield application was rejected before as we honestly declared (at the point of first application) he was still in SCN with ROP and heart condition.
Though he is now discharged with the conditions resolved, we will have to produce the medical record of his eye and heart respectively(buy at $80 each), and reapply to CPFB.
Even so, it is not a guarantee as there will still be follow ups for our preemies and CPFB might deemed it to be a follow up of pre existing condition. As such, they cannot approve the medishield or approve with exclusions.

I am quite mad that government is rejecting insurance for our babies when they said in 2007 that it will be offered to all newborns. It is not our fault to give birth to preemie and having to pay a huge sum of $. Now they even want us to buy the medical record for them.

Is there someone out there who can share the procedure how I can go about this. Which insurance co. can I approach? What documents to produce and how long will they take to approve etc..

Charlottein
medishield approve my boy's one with exclusion for haemorrage and anemia..
when he was few months old, we tried with AIA and they reject too although his problem resolved and told us to try again after he is 1, so we did that and they approve without exclusion..

dear all need some advise here..im current 29weeks pregnant and this is my 3rd child..my 1st was premmie too born close to 35weeks at 1.8kg by c-sect..2nd boy was born at 38weeks by c-sect too

during my currently pregnancy i've got contraction at 24weeks and was admitted to kkh for a day when i demanded a discharge the next day as im feeling very stressed and depressed during that point of time and find i'll feel better if im at home..

after that my gynae told me should i experience anymore contraction i need not contact him just go to kkh as the cost will be more barable for me and hubby instead of going to him as it will cost alot if my bb is pre-term..my first bb i gotta change of gynae too as he is not growing well and the same advise from the gynae is to go to kkh..anyway i know he meant well cuz of the bill for preterm is not what me and my hubby can afford..

even though i do not have the same kind of frequent contraction like what im experiencing during the 24weeks..i still quite worried..especially ytd i was having menses like cramp like contraction pain in the morning..it was irregular and stop after awhile..i got my regular checkup last week and everything was normal..my urine test and blood test was normal too..

anyone have the same experience b4 and give birth pre-term??

i know very well should i have contraction now and give birth b4 week 34, i will definetly go to kkh but the thoughts of having different gynae (group dr) and i heard alot of bad incident abt people delivering in kkh and having problem later make me very worried..

can i check if i wanna change to kkh now..can i have a specific gynae instead of different gynae? and if so will i still be abt to get the subsidies if bb is born pre-term? and roughly what will be the bill size?

Hi all,

Can I join this thread too? I am really glad to have found this thread... Actually, I feel kind of guilt-stricken delivering to my baby girl at 31 weeks and she weighs only 1181g at birth on 20 Feb. I feel that it was because I did not gain much weight during pregnancy. That is why even when she was out at 31 weeks, her birth weight is so low.

Right now she is still at Mt A's NICU. If any if you have any experiences to share, please do as I am trying to learn as much as possible about preemies to better care for my daughter.

Viman: I was warded for 11 days at Mt A before I delivered to my girl. I was on bed rest due to early contractions and during that time, i was injected with steroids to strengthen baby lungs. I was also on ventolin drip and pills to reduce the contractions and pills were inserted into my vagina twice daily to soothe the uterus. All these to delay the birth of my baby. But who knows, at a routine ultrasound scan on 20 Feb
showed that my bb was not growing anymore and that the amiotic fluids have dropped. A c-sect was planned for me 2 hrs later. I had no time to think or react or feel scared. I just hoped that my girl will be fine.

Just sharing with you my story to give you some encouragement. Hope that with your bed rest at the hospital, you can delay your delivery since u r the best incubator for your baby.

split, I totally agree with you about not wanting to stay at KKH. It is indeed a very stressful time. My waterbag starting leaking when I was around 25weeks. Only managed to sustain the baby inside till 28weeks and had to deliver him. Am thankful that I had a natural delivery. Prior to that, I felt that the constant trip for checks and labor was very nerve-wrecking. I had to repeat to the different docs about my condition numerous time. It was not a restful stay at all. Having said that, I need to emphasize that stay at KKH under C class ward is the most cost effective. Yes, the mummy would probably be seen by many different docs, but (hopefully that will not be the case for your baby) if the baby is born premature and need to be in NICU, the treatment is the same for each baby regardless their class. My boy stayed there for 78 days and after subsidy, a total of 15K was deducted from our CPF. No cash needed.

Am hoping that your baby stay inside till term or near term. In the meantime, I would suggest trying to help baby gain weight by drinking lots of milk for mummy. Jiayou!

Hi kkf
I see that you are still active in this thread. Remember me? Have not come into this thread for sometime. How's Dash and Violet?

I'm in my second pregnancy and having the same issue as first pregnancy - early contractions since wk 18 again and have been on bed rest since then. Sigh, thought no 2 pregnancies will be the same but this time same issue and my hubby very scared and confirmed this will be the last pregnancy cos he doesn't want to eat hospital food all the time.

To all mummies-to-be, hang on and be good. It's definitely difficult but it will be over. I've completed 1, and in the midst of the second and the last.

split
i started having contraction @ 25weeks, hospitalised in KKH @ 26weeks due to contraction. initially i chose B class too and when we saw their estimated bill if were to deliver at that time, it would cost us 6-digit and during routine visit from my gynae, she told me to choose C class if i were to admit again b4 35weeks to lower down the bill for my baby coz the baby will follow the class of wat mummy choose but all baby will b in the same NICU/nursery.. then admitted again during 28weeks and this time we chose C class, and the estimated bill become 5-digit.. but still my boy chose to come to world @ 31weeks coz of my waterbag burst.. did ur gynae gave u medicine for the contraction? i was on drip too for the contraction..
if u choose C class, yup u will be manage by a group of doc, not ur gynae..
my boy stayed in KKH a total of 44days. 1week in NICU, 1week in NICU step dow and 4weeks in SCN. the doc wanted to discharge him when he hit 2kg (2weeks in SCN) but coz he got some sucking problem and we dun wan him to discharge with a tube so he stayed for another 2 weeks.. his total bill was $7K all deducted by CPF..

Wendy
how many kgs in gain during ur pregnancy? i din gain much too.. i oni gain 3-4kgs throughout my pregnancy.. my boy was borned at 31weeks @ a weight of 1.62kg..

lilac, thanks for ur reply..hopefully my girl can stay til full term but i got a very strong feeling that i might give birth around 31 or 32weeks..

jagiebaby, i gain abt 8kg so far and my last check up at 28weeks bb was 1kg..i wasnt given any medication at all..and my gynae kindna doesnt mention much after i discharge from kkh..kkh gynae also like dont wanna entertain me during my last visit there for review and ask me to go back to my own pte gynae..

split
which gynae u seeing u KKH? under subsidised patient? or u went to the women A&E? when i first admitted @ 26weeks the doc gave me an orange capsule for contraction wan. then after discharge continue that medicine..

split
dun tink too much k tho i know is very difficult but try ur best.. now is time for u to rest more and dun walk too much too..

jagie i go to A&E during my admission as it was 12mid-night..is group gynae as i opt for ward c that time..no specific gynae..

i wasnt given any medication guess becuz i wasnt in pain just that contraction every 5min thats y they insist i stay in hospital..the gynae at first wanted to give me medication and told me that he will be giving me a pill..so i waited..den after i check with the nurse again they said the gynae cancel the instruction..and i wasnt inform of it..

split
sound funny leh.. that time i wasnt in great pain too.. its like light mentual cramp but they caught the contraction from the machine so told me to admit and gave me medication.. did u ask the nurse y the gynae cancel?
actually i was kinda sad when i nit to go C class bu afterall the stay wasn't that bad.. the nurses were very friendly too.. and i made friends from the ward too coz got a few had to stay there for sometime too..

Jagiebaby,
I put on about 7kg during my pregnancy but during the stay in hospital for bedrest, my weight dropped by 2 kg.

Your boy was 1.62kg? that's good as it meant that most of your added weight went to him. I wonder where mine went to. How's your boy now?

split,
Do rest well k. Try to walk lesser and stay in bed for as much as you can. Actually, the doc should give you some med/drip to try and delay your delivery. For my case, I couldn't feel the contractions too when I was admitted. I didn't even know that it was contractions! I just felt the tummy area tightening and hardening. And I even thought that it was because of the baby moving.

Bonnystar
yup, 1.62kg.. during the growth scan @ 28weeks, he was oni 1.1kg and the sonographer told me he's on the smaller side.. he's CA 20mths now.. now started childcare for a week+.. as for weight & height, he's 13+kg and abt 90cm.. but he still cant chew his food so he's still not taking rice.. porridge/mee/meehoon oni..

split, I am suprised that no steroid jab was given considering that your first two were also premature.... or was steroid jab already given? Press on... try not to be stressed. Relax and will your mind and body to ask baby to stay till term.

on another topic, how's David? Have not seen him post for a while leh....

Bonnystar yeah the harderning was indeed contraction, I called up my gynae this afternoon n he told me to go kkh for a check since he is going oversea today. Was admitted after they monitor n confirm I'm having contraction again. This time round I was given the orange pill n the jab. A staff nurse explain to me mayb becuz 24 weeks is too small that time thats y I wasn't given any jab or medicine... Now I'm in delivery ward monitoring the contraction hopefully it stop soon

Jagiebaby: your boy is already 20 mths. That's good. I m sure he will be able to chew his food when he turns CA 2 yrs old as I read that most preemies will be able to be on par with their peers by then.

Split: jia you k! We are all with you in spirit. Take care of yourself too and eat well.

Hi Lilac,

Quietly reading the forum. Danya just turn 2YO in Feb. She is very naughty, very talkative and highly playful. I am more tired during weekend than week day. Seem like she is having tons of energizer batteries than never drain. I really feel from my Queen. She is the most wonderful wife and mummy. It is very challenging to be a full time mummy.

Danya is still poor with solid. She will say "Mumm Mumm" but refuse to open her mouth. Her weight is still 8.2kg. We will be attending the SPOT clinic soon.

Please see her recent picture.

5212343.jpg

<font color="aa00aa">David</font>,
same as my little ox.....very energetic..haa...that's why I not qualified to be a sahm...if not, I will be 'siao' screaming here and there....

what is SPOT clinic for?

what a cute tied up hair Danya has....

awww.... Danya, you are such a sweetie pie with a cheeky look!!! Thanks David for sharing =) Yes, what is the SPOT clinic? My boy is CA18mths and is around 9kg... dietician not very happy leh.... hopefully he will put on weight quick.

Danya so cheeky and such a lil sweet girl.. ya, wat is SPOT clinic?

lilac
ur boy borned in june or july? my boy juz turned CA19 months, AA21months..

Hi Mummies,

I think SPOT means Speech, Physical, and Occupational Therapy. Danya do not like to chew and eat solid. The speech therapist felt that an early intervention is needed. Danya's CA is 21mths &amp; AA is 24.5mths. By right, she should be taking more semi-solid at this stage. Her growth is still along the trending line but is still way below 3 percentile.

I think the challenge for Danya is her micro birth weight, an ileostomy ops which shorten her intestine will may have affected her digestive and absorption ability. I think that we need to give her time to mature her digestive system.

wow, seems like my gal is nt the only 1 who is in the small category.
She is CA 28mth, AA 31mth weighting 10.5kg... Most of the kids in the toddler class are taller than her. Her doc from KK stop saying that she is small for her age, instead told us tt as long as she is growing taller n healthy is ok .

David, Danya is so sweet

David, Danya is so cute and cheeky looking. How does one determine if their bb needs SPOT clinic treatment? Ryan is still vomiting at least once a day be it milk or cereal/porridge (blended), during my last visit to PD, she recommended a Gastroenteroloy PD and just the consultation alone cost $180!!! Ryan is so active that I'm worried he's hyperactive. Are all ex-prem bb super active? Can't even lie still to finish his milk feed

David
can Danya talk? my boy still not talking @ CA19mths. the last visit, they say will arrange him to see a speech therapist too..

berrybaby
hmm... how old is Ryan? my boy used to be like this too. we got to tie him on a rocker chair and he muz have toys too.. but now he's much better, can finish 3/4 bottle all by himself..

jagiebaby,

hi, my son who was born at 24wks at 750gm is super active.....hyper...dunoe if all are lidat but mine is....

fm young, already cant sit still but now he goes to school and is better under the ctrol of the teachers in sch..hee hee

Jagiebaby, my baby was born end Jun =)

David, thanks for sharing what SPOT is.

Shellow, good to know that. The PD from KK also was telling me that Nathaniel is growing lah but at a slow rate. Dietician also don't know why he is not putting on weight... I suggested maybe its due to my genes... hee... high metabolism rate. I eat alot but has been perpetually underweight.

Some studies have shown that premmies may have a higher chance of being hyperactive. However, some other studies have contested that. Nate is quite hyper too... cannot stay still. For me, I think at the end of the day is not about diagnosing whether if my boy is hyper or not but its about trying to manage/cope with my boy's way of behaving.

lilac,
same same, been to feeding therapist, nothing wrong with her chewing or eating, just tt she dun put on weight, i also suggested, thank god, she takes after her dad, skinny... haha.....

studies showed tt premmies are prone to ADDH, but now full term kids too have ADDH. now our education system are trying to cater to kids with ADDH, hope they will be in good hands.

My gal too is v hyper, but in childcare she is quite well behave but not at home. Only when the battery runnin out, then she will b less active.

Hi,

SPOT is the combination of speach therapy and occupational therapy. My boy also going for this.

Normally, those kids with feeding issue will refer to this therapy. The therapist will used the food to play with the kids.

Think most of the premmies is hpyer active. My boy also one of them that cannot sit still.

Jaige, Ryan is CA 8mths next wk. I wonder when will the reflux stop. He has this wheezing sound at the back of the thoat which happens each time after he vomits. Anyone with similar exp?
Btw, when can I stop blending his porridge and introduce real solid food?

Hi Berrybaby,

Danya has bad reflux for many months. Trying Enfalac AR which will help to reduce reflux. But the calories might be lesser. With Enfalac AR, we also try to supplement with MCT Oil for extra calories.

Hi Jaige,

Danya start to talk at AA 13mths. Now she can name almost 90% of the TV advertisement. My wife Diana talks to Danya alot when Danya is still very young. Even when we are watching TV, Diana will explain every advertisement to Danya.

hmmm... my boy going to see a speech therapist coz he still not talking @ CA19mths dunno is it the SPOT clinic..

costa
my boy is very active too but dun tink till the extend of hyper..

berrybaby
oh dear.. did u check with the pd abt this? is he vomitting after each meal? javier had reflux too when he was borned but tink ok when he was abt CA2-3mths..

David
wau, thats great.. javier still oni going papapapa now.. ocasionally mama..

desperately seeking advise here!! pls help!! Anyone has baby who survive NEC with intestinal peforation?? Really hope to hear some positive news..

<font color="119911">Jagiebaby</font>,
every bb has its own pace of development. my col' boy only talk when he turned 4yr old.

<font color="119911">costa del sol</font>,
same as my boy also active. won't sit still....loiter ard in the hse one...

<font color="aa00aa">David</font>,
hmm Diana very patient to explain every advert. thumb up!

desperately seeking advise here!! pls help!! Anyone has baby who survive NEC with intestinal peforation?? Really hope to hear some positive news

afcai,

yr boy and mine same..but guess generally boys are active??but after gg to school, i think my son is better....is yr boy at school already?

Back