Premature babies support group

Hi Lin,

oh im using avent isis single pump oso.. but its time consuming and ive tried medela pump cannot yield much compared to avent... hmmm dats y tot wanna get the double pump.

My boys as of 16/6/09. Starting with Mattias (Eldest)

2580005.jpg
2580006.jpg

Hi All,

I am back at last, 2 weeks without internet is jus crazy....So many posts to catch up!will do later
happy.gif

My baby Xavier is finally back, it's been a week now! He discharged on 10 June after 139 days in NICU. Havng him back is just so wonderful! I started my confinement but i m enjoying it
happy.gif
The fact is my husband is doing the confinement with me, hehe, so less stressful. I am in charge of the "in" (feedings) and he is in charge of the "out" (changing diapers). Never felt better in my life before, so contented! I think I never appreciated life more than now....Praise the Lord. And i believe our angle Issac is in heaven, watching over us and his little brother....

Xavier is around 2.4kg now, corrected age 1 and half month, on full BF. I tried to latch on, but he got cranky after a while...so now i put a bottle to stand by in case he refuses my breast and still dun have enough...Hopefully he can get stronger and be on full latch on...I am sure he will manage soon, this little fellow is now drinking 110ml / 6-7 times a day...Thats a lot for him!!! He was drinking only 55ml before discharge, i think the docs underestimated him....

Here's a pic of him at home, the PINKIE Xavier

2580470.jpg

Hope he gains more weight soon!
happy.gif

Welcome all tne newcomers........

Jas
You have a handsome prince there. Nice features! With your ample supply of BM, Xavier will grow very well!

Yeah, our little warriors taught us a REAL Lesson on LIFE! Never take life for granted, fight for every chance of survival. If our warriors can do so, so can WE as adults. Cheers x 3!!!

Hi Sam

i see..yah..avent is quite a gd pump..maybe u can see Metro or Kiddy Palace..they are having 20% sales now..tink the duo pump is $700+ ...20% discount means quite alot liao..ur boys are cute n re progressing well..tat is very gd..they will be out soon n u will be 3X busier =)

Hi Jas

ur Xavier is cute n his double eyelids is so deep..so nice...wah..ur boy drink 110ml liao..tat is alot..my Jolie now still drinking 60ml/3hr..sometimes still cant finished all..she has been discharged for 3wks+ liao..tink with ur milk, ur Xavier will grow fast...

My Jolie still cannot latch on well oso..so i bought another pump so tat i can go pump when go out..

hui
I'm currently residing in CCK but will move temporarily to JE in August until I find my ideal home. High chance I might move near you cos I'm looking at Hazel Park Condo but can't make decision yet.

Jas,
congratulations.. motherhood can't be more complete than this! I'm glad u have hubby's support.. afterall, you guys waited sooo long for his return, it's only right you reward yourselves by spending time to bond with him. Yes, my 2 boys, kkf's boy, and your Issac will be playing happily up there and watching over us!
happy.gif

hi gals

been lurking in this thread and reading your day to day challenges and it's really admirable to see your little ones grow up day by day.

I'm in week30 now and because bb's heartbeat drops whenever there's a BH contraction, gynae did suggest doing a emer c sect.

little zachary is now 1.66kg at week 30 day 3...i hope to delay till he's 2kg within the next few days.

what else can be done at this point in time to ensure the best for bb, so far the only 2 ways i know is to increase bb's weight and to request for steroid jabs to mature his lungs - what else can be done?

Hi babymaking,

Welcome to the thread.

First of all, be positve and talk to yr baby more. Ask yr baby to "guai guai" and put on more weight.

For what i know, eat durian can boost up the bb weight. If your sugar level is not high, maybe you can make a try.

xiaowanzi
yep already been eating durians ( a few seeds per day) to try to increase bb's weight - wondering what else can be done?

Hi Mums,

A small set back for today. Danya is infected by enterovirus. Her stool become watery. Danya will be moved to a isolation ward. Our plan of bringing Danya home will be delayed for a short while.

Sam,

Congratulation! He is a smart boy, now even know how to hold his pacifier. So cute. 1465g, very fast he will be in a open cot liao. Keep it up, Mattias!

sam
thks for advice, so far seems to have only 2 mtds - 1) gain bb weight 2) steroid jabs to mature bb lungs

Is there any other methods to ensure well being of premature fetus?

Hi Sam,

This is a virus which cause HFMD, Gastric Flu etc. Well, shall not comment on how Danya contracted with this virus. Just frustrate with how things are evolving.

BTW, Mattias is off CPAP, great achievement. I guess his sibling Josiah & Jerial will join the race to triumph soon. Jia Yu.

I am a product design student now having a project about premature babies. This project is about to design a product or a system for the NICU, premature babies or their parents for need in either practical or psycological ways. If you don't mind for my research, would you please take a few mins to answer my questions? Thank you a lot and with best wishes
happy.gif

1: When you or your family members had premature babies, what are the most inconveniences you experiences in your daily routine or in emotion?
2: The premature babies were born earlier than full-term babies and needs special care in the NICU. For the mothers, are there any psysical change that you can't get used to for a while?
What do you feel about the fact that the quickening was paused earlier as the babies were born earlier?

Sorry for these many questions and thank you so much for your time, you can write any feelings down for this research.

xinran,

1. having to travel to n fro frm hospital
2. dun understand this qn.. what are u looking for in this qn actually... physical changes in?
quickening of what?

<font color="aa00aa">Bloom</font>,
hmmm saw my name wor....of cos, no one mentioned here abt the chicken essence.

do Kate drink more water so that skin will be better. may be lack of water?

<font color="0077aa">Lin</font>,
how old is yr gar (pai seh, memory fail)? think bb gar drink less compare to bb boy blar...but it still depended on individual bb. as long as she feed well and gain weight, it is ok. so better to start to freeze some of ebm b4 gg to work. my 30+ bottle frozen ebm is getting lesser each day. till today, there is only 26 bottles only. gd that hubby help u to feed, if not very tiring esp we still need to moo moo. do u still pump every 3hr? for me, when my boy reached 3mth then I switched to 4hrly. sian, next mon, returning to work....arrr......tough SAHM(temp) is super tirign for me, i still enjoy the bonding with my 2 kids. everyday, i am like a robot cum zombie loh...doing daily rountine task. hai.....that's why I prayed why dun god give me 48hrs per day....I got lot of things to do esp SLEEP. :p>

re:storage of bm.
yup. usually, fresh milk can kept in fridge for 2 days. frozen ebm 3mth (tough some said up to 6mth, err...I dun think gd to keep that long).

re:supplement.
usually, tbf bb got seamae seeds like poo. last time, my gar poo only 7-10 days (haa save diapers...). but once she poos, big project wor...poos till leak. haa dunno how she can accumalate so much. but my boy only poos 2-3 days. however, these 2 days, dunno why he can poo 2-4 times per days (first time quite a lot after that a little bit).

re:drink milk dun slp.
oh....same thing goes to my boy who always play trick to his papa. that's why making hubby got so impatient and scared of feeding him (he will help to feed if bb feeding crash with my moo moo timing).

when she cry, just kept on talking to her cum chanting (which I called), telling her to cry when necc, be a gd gar. think as bb grew older, thing will be better, less crying but more yang ow (like my boy)...:p. now, my boy got a 'habit' when he slp, he will need 3 impt things (pacificier, bean spout pillow and a handkerchief) so that he can slp on his own. dunno how he can sense that the pillow is not his cos we changed the pillow for him bec we wanted to sun it.

ppls said bb after 1 yr old, easier to look after but hor, still got another headaches to worry lah. one need to chase after them when they started walking etc. bb above 6mth is also nice to play with.

re:pump.
u using the Avent single pump. not slow meh?? but when u pump, one side will leak leh...so I hate single pump wor....

<font color="119911">hui\kkf</font>,
wow, never realise that teacher are so stress.

<font color="119911">hui</font>,
hmm..oic...those mummies u mentioned seldom post in the forum.

<font color="0077aa">xbliss</font>,
yeah, will sure update the insurance status for my boy. I can forsee that his case shd be no problem lah except he has hernia surgery.

<font color="119911">Jas</font>,
welcome bck. so moving hse big project right....esp keeping u busy with loading and unloading the stuff etc...

glad that bb Xavier is bck. hmm..he discharged directly fr NICU.wow, drinking 110ml. think bb Xavier (is he borned on 23/1? correct me if I'm wrong. dunno if it is u u or Maybel delivered on 23/1 ) shd be older than my bb HX by 5 days only right....

oh, bb Xavier got double eyelids??

yeah, so with yr gd supply of ebm, sure bb Xavier will be chubby loh.

<font color="119911">Sam</font>,
oh...that's yr 3 warriors. sorry no offence but it is heart pain to see they are on tubing....that's what I felt when i see their photos.

David
Danya, the strong fighter will be well soon. Hospital unfortunately is the place where most illnesses are treated, hence the most virus.... so if Danya has the chance to be discharged prior to her surgery, get her discharge first. Keep cool!

hello kkf and hui i also chinese teacher!!!! hehhe i think after so many years of teaching, i still prefer to teach in neighborhood sch compared to branded sch. my ah lao also just resigned after teaching for 6 years. so many frens have left teaching service... think they really have to look into the system cos its really not pro family.

kkf,
yeah my ger and ur boy same year!! she's a jan baby... initially pple were telling me since i teaching in a gers sch then my ger go in sure easy and v smart choice too cos its a branded sch.... but now i'm so glad that i'm no longer teaching. btw, where are u gg to send ur boy to for pri sch? hehe i abit kiasu want to do pv now... hehe

David,
how's Danya? initially i was also supposed to be under care of high risk maternal fetal dept after i discharge but i find that i don't really click with Dr Shapidah.. anyway, tat's another story. btw,, u dun worry ok?? all things will turn out for the better and pls allow my family to pray for u! remember... all things are possible in our Lord!

Jas,

Congrats!!! XAvier is such a beautiful baby!! God bless u and ur family!! i'm sure our Father in heaven is looking over isaac and holding him in His knees...

bloom,
3 kids nothing to be envious of... v tiring u know?? hehe but they are such a joy when they smile, laugh and take care of each other... they are all God's gift to me and though each one is an accident, but they are all beautiful accidents...

gks mummy,
hi5! think my time when the govt haven't introduced 5 day week more jialat! i used to have 2 CCAs in charge, of which the track n field really took up most of my time as they need to train on weekdays afternoons till 5+pm, n competitions on sundays!! burnt out my energy n time. not to mention there r tonnes n tonnes of compositions n exercises to mark! n my most hated appraisals n reports to write! so fan2! dats y i resigned after bond up. but i like the flexi system, at least i have some say in choosing what i want to do n omit all those reports n stuffs. oops, sorry, think when i always talk abt the quiting reasons, i can go on and on... haha... 10 years ago they say want to review the system, 10 yrs past, although they keep saying have recruited more admin to help, but end up still the same or even worse, think this will go on n on and won't change much..

Yippie... My Mattias upgraded liao.. open cot.. going to High D ward already!!!Actually today but doc postpone to tom, monitor one day first..

Hi afcai

my ger actual age is 2mths+..Corrected age is 1 day..hehe..still drinking little..sometimes still vomit milk out after drinking..

my ger now 1 wk havent PS liao..stress

re:drink milk dun slp.
different stage different headache..tink tat is called parenthood..haha

u using the Avent single pump still ok..cant expect it to be as efficient as dual pump..but the speed which the single pump draw milk fr 1 breast is the same as Medela PIS..yah..the problem abt single pump is the leaking of the other breast..

hey hui,

hi5 man!! i also can't stand the appraisal system... actually, i also got lots of things to complain and can go on forever when talk abt the service but then... forget it, life goes on!

btw u on flexi adjunct or contract adjunct now?

Mummy Sam,
Congrats to u!!! all 3 of them are so lucky to have u as a mummy!!

sam,
congrats! in no time, your other 2 kids would be joining the open cot soon.

gks mummy,
i'm a sahm now. quit flexi adjunct ever since i pregnant. i've got a miscarriage before, dun want to risk any complications, hence fully rested at home ever since. fully devoted my time to my kids for 2.5 yrs already. better not go on n on... this is a prematured bb support group after all. hehe.

<font color="119911">mummies who giving ebm to bb,
ask b4 u are doing moo moo task. u got to prepare yr pump and storage bottles, so wondering what did u use to wipe the pump and storage bottles so that it will be dry when u pump? I use tissue paper and realise that some of the 'mao mao' thing stick to the glass bottle. so have to clean twice b4 it is free of the 'mao mao' thing,

pls advise. thks.</font>

<font color="0077aa">Lin</font>,
yup, now I recall, yr Edd is 18/6. so yrs is april bb? my ah boy also like that during the first 3 mth, merlion a lot, feeding and burping him are the most difficulty cos I think his digestive system not developed yet. so he only can feed small amt lot of meal.

so now after 3mth, he ok liao.

so far, I heard bb poos after 15 days leh. oh...does it mean yr gar is aborbing yr bm/ebm well since u give her the freshest one. so keep it up....tbf bb dun poo regularly. but once they poos, then big project cos accumalated a lot of poo in one go. when is yr gar next appt?

re:srink milk dun slp.
yup, haa..parenthood is always busy. kids are like sponge....

oh...Avent single pump so powderful wor....last time, I use medela single pump, pump for 1hr then can get 180ml. with dual pump, pumping time cut time a lot.

<font color="119911">sam</font>,
pai seh, me mountain turtle. what is open cot? is it bb is place in the cot instead of those incubator bed?

mummies,

want to ask abt vaccination: heard that its not advisable to give vaccines to prematured babies. my son(33 weeker) went for followup check with PD after discharge, he suggests giving my bb BCG, but i told him i'll delay abit, he's saying then can give BCG &amp; hep B 2nd dose together when he's 1 mth old. then take 5 in 1 vaccines according to vaccine chartlist.

However, i've also heard tt vaccines not good for bbs, will have side effects etc...

now am confused, not sure what to do with the vaccines. give or dun give or delay till when? can mummies advise? btw, my bb just 2 weeks aft birth n now weighs abt 2.23kg. tks.

<font color="119911">hui</font>,
my boy (wk 31+3) had his jab delay as follows:

- BCG and hep b (first dose) at his full mth (1 mth) 1 day b4 he is discharge fr hospital only.

- 2nd dose Hep B during 2mth.

- first 6 in 1 jab during third mth.

- 2nd jab during 4mth.

- third jab (gg to take at end of July) during his 6mth.

(nurse said that since he took hep b during his 2nd mth so have to delay 1mth later. so this mth, he did not go for his jab).

but for me, I will still delay the jab. hmm..tot BCG will be given once discharge fr hospital?

hmm..u still under confinement??

Afcai,

No need to wipe off the water from the pump and bottles. They are all sterilised and since it is boiled water, it is okay to stay wet (the most u do is 甩一甩),if you use tissues to wipe dry, you are just contaminating them again....

Lin,
we dubbed our boy the next merlion after the one at esplanade.. he would merlion everything out very easily even an hour after feeds. Nothing could solve the issue, but feeding smaller amounts at shorter intervals like 2-3 hours seemed to help. On top of that, learn to follow your gal's cue and don't force. I think the chinese call it "wei qian" i.e. shallow stomach. I know some docs prescribe a special powder to add to the milk that is thicker so it stays in the tummy.. Otherwise, don't lie her down after feeding. Keep her a little more upright for 15min or more. In between feed must burp.. imagine i used to have to burp like 3 times just for 60ml...

i really heave a sigh of relief cos gone are those days.. my boy don't like milk now!! we just mix into his cereal, otherwise, we supplement with regular food and multivits lor.

<font color="119911">Jas</font>,
thks for the advice. oh, I had been using tissue paper to wipe for the past 4mth+ liao. I dun sterlise every pump leh. my pump only sterlised end of the day (at night). usually, after pump, I will wash and then rinse with water fr flask then placed the pump (funnel) bck to the pot (I use boiling method to sterlise). oh, tissues can contaminated wor....

so did u sterlise every pump?

<font color="0077aa">xbliss</font>,
seems yr boy similar case like mine...feed small amts of milk will help. same same, we also burp 3times just for 60ml. how old is yr boy now?? has yr boy merlion issue resolve? mine improving...

ai-yo, cannot dun like milk leh, they needed milk to grow esp bones and teeth.

Hi Afcai

like jas..i just "swing" the bottle n funnel to get rid of the water after sterilisation..in fact, the faster u swing after the sterilisation, the easier the water can be get rid of cos hot water will "evaporate" faster..

yah..mine is apr bb..so now i m still on ML.hehe..hope my bb system will develop soon..always vomit..waste my milk n her clothes always so smelly with the milk smell..

dont poo means absording the milk well?so is ok she do 1 big bz once per wk lah? my ger next appt is eye review which is on next tues..heard eye review very siong 1..tink my ger will cry like anything..normal days cry for milk can oso cry until no voice..cant imagine how she cry during the eye review..anyone can describe the eye review process?heard they will "poke" the bb eyes

Avent single pump still not bad..but ultimately single pump is not as efficient as double pump..

hi hui

i have asked my KKH neonatal doc..she said premmies can go for 6-in-1 or 5-in-1..my ger has her BCG n hep B 1st dose on the day when she is discharge..i just called PD abt the vaccine appt..she called me to come 2mths after the BCG n Hep B vaccine day..so i m waiting for tat date..havent go yet..hope this infor help

hi xbliss..

tink we have alot of small merlions ard..haha..now i will stop feeding when she abit reject the milk..dare not continue scared wait she vomit..waste my milk but bo bian...haiz..

yah..i keep her upstraight for 15min n more after each feed..that will help abit..=)

Hey David,

Can understand ur frustration....Infection was what i feared most back in NICU. And normally the doctors will jus tell you that the babies got infected since they are immuno-compromised...what an easy explanation for them!

Did Danya get infected because of her STOMA? I heard that area can get infected easily....I hope Danya will get better soon! SHe has come this far, and I believe she will prove to us that it is only a minor setback!!

JIayou !! Will keep her in my prayers!!

afcai
We were taught to sterilise bottles etc. before every feed whether it is using the steriser or boiling method. In fact, by using the steriser, the bottles must be used within 3 hrs. That's why there's a lot of washing to do. I had came across a mummy with a premie who also used the boiling method once a day and unfortunately, the baby got infection and was re-admitted.

Like Jas's note above..... doc. said that babies got infected since they are immuno-compromised.

Lin
Most likely, the eye doc. will get the nurse to dilate the eyes.. i.e. put eye drops into the baby's eyes and wait for a while before the doc. examine the eyes. The doc. might use a special pincer to open the eye lids of the baby.... the process is ugly in our eyes....sure the baby will cry. Personally, by watching it, I felt pain on me.
sad.gif

afcai,
yes, i'm still in confinement. my bb had hep B 1st dose upon discharge but not BCG becoz he's not reach 2.3kg then. from what i see, somehow your bb is following the vaccines chartlist... any fever or whatsoever after the jabs? what i'm afraid of is after the jabs, my bb will not eat well n his weight might drop again.

as for sterilise pumps: i sterilised my manual pump after each use. the excess water vapour inside as mentioned by jas, dun need to wipe off, just shake them out and quickly sealed with caps. i also dun dare to give my nb drink if not sterilised coz afraid might get infection since he's not vaccinated much.

Lin,
i see. the PD i went to advise me to go for 5 in 1 instead of 6 in 1 for my premmie nb as he said 5-in1 more established. if your gal going 2 mths later, that means she's taking 6-in-1?

afcai
no choice leh. he totally reject milk in bottle. He will drink if we feed by spoon, very funny. we tried different bottles, different teats also like that. once in a while he will take the bottle. now at 20 months non corrected, he takes his milk only 2-3 times a day and only 150ml. sigh sigh. i give multivits lor.

he got better only after we learnt not to force feed him, i.e. about 9-10 months i think. we got too tired having to fight with him each feed. so he didn't vomit anymore. once in a while those occasional ones will happen.. like putting his finger into his mouth and gagging after that, etc.

Back