Pregnancy: Gestational Diabetes

Panic Mummy

Dear All, I have been tested that my blood sugar level is 144 mg/dl = 8 mmol/l. Is this consider at the high range? Or the risk factor... My gyane says that is too high..... I was thinking to eat bee hoon soup for breakfast this morning... but thinking of the sugar content. End up I am having Meji plain crackers with plain water for breakfast this morning....

Any body, having the same experience with me... ????

Thanks
P.S : Feeling so sad and sian with the failed blood sugar result.... Hai.. please advise...

Thanks

Hi, did you do the glucose tolerance test? My fasting reading was fine, 90 only. however, the reading after 2hrs is 149. They say i'm under the category of "Impaired Glucose Tolerance"...... checked in Babycenter.com, the scale is different, as long as under 155 is ok. Now i'm confused whether i'm ok or not....
sighz... have to poke myself 7 times a day to monitor. :(

Hey.. I'm poking myself to monitor too had a chart to write down the readings... mine was 7.9 mmol.. 0.1 above the limit..
The clinic gave me a list, so hope this helps...
upload_2013-11-27_9-27-44.png

upload_2013-11-27_9-28-15.png

for the Dry/Friend Noodles portion, the nurse told me it's referring to food sold outside..

oh! if you're drinking preggy milk, the nurse mentioned to stop for now..
(u can keep the preggy milk powder in the fridge until u pop!, coz after you pop the criteria for the blood sugar is lower...)

The nurse mentioned Subway stuff is good.. but don't choose the sauces of red wine and honey mustard (DAMN!)

If you're drinking soup based noodles outside... try not to drink the soup..

Just went for the 'counselling' session yesterday so its still fresh in the mind.. lol.

Last edited:
Hi, did you do the glucose tolerance test? My fasting reading was fine, 90 only. however, the reading after 2hrs is 149. They say i'm under the category of "Impaired Glucose Tolerance"...... checked in Babycenter.com, the scale is different, as long as under 155 is ok. Now i'm confused whether i'm ok or not....

did the doc/nurse advise what is the limit? U might just want to call and ask so you can monitor better..

Hi, yup I did my glucose test... after 2 hours later. And after one week the result is out lor... the nurse told me is 144... accordingly to her.. the reading is a bit high, she told me that the normal range is 40 to 140. So she told me just a little bit high... and she also told me not to take sugar stuff... like cakes noodles and soft drink... I always like subway stuff dun know if I can eat the subway salad or the bread. If I can eat that I dun mind to have it....

The nurse also told me that they will be rental me out the blood test kit to me on my, next appointment. But yesterday I went back to buy my supplement they told me is just rental. So if that is the case than I no need the rental already since I already bought a new one. As for the prick. The nurse told me that I had to monitor for one week. To see my blood sugar level is in the normal range or the safe zone.

did the doc/nurse advise what is the limit? U might just want to call and ask so you can monitor better..

The nurse say that the range is 40 to 140. And my is 144.. So I think is just a bit high side... you all will say borderline ba... any way still have to do the finger prick thing.

Hey.. I'm poking myself to monitor too had a chart to write down the readings... mine was 7.9 mmol.. 0.1 above the limit..
The clinic gave me a list, so hope this helps...
View attachment 131640
View attachment 131642
for the Dry/Friend Noodles portion, the nurse told me it's referring to food sold outside..

oh! if you're drinking preggy milk, the nurse mentioned to stop for now..
(u can keep the preggy milk powder in the fridge until u pop!, coz after you pop the criteria for the blood sugar is lower...)

The nurse mentioned Subway stuff is good.. but don't choose the sauces of red wine and honey mustard (DAMN!)

If you're drinking soup based noodles outside... try not to drink the soup..

Just went for the 'counselling' session yesterday so its still fresh in the mind.. lol.

Dear Mummyshell,

Thanks for the list. At list I know what to eat and what not to eat... hee hee at least today my slice fish soup did not appear in any of the list.

Thanks.

The nurse say that the range is 40 to 140. And my is 144.. So I think is just a bit high side... you all will say borderline ba... any way still have to do the finger prick thing.

it's better than mine. :)
anyway, just a few weeks more. i think as long as don't touch sugar will be fine. How many weeks are you at?

I also failed my glucose test at 7.9. prick my finger and monitor for few days but my breakfast always exceed the normal range even tho i eat healthly. Yesterday dr say i have to take insulin injection myself every morning. I am super sad and scare also. Every time i need to prick my finger i feel very stress. worried the numbers go too high..

I also failed my glucose test at 7.9. prick my finger and monitor for few days but my breakfast always exceed the normal range even tho i eat healthly. Yesterday dr say i have to take insulin injection myself every morning. I am super sad and scare also. Every time i need to prick my finger i feel very stress. worried the numbers go too high..

Did you record what you had for breakfast? Could be something that trigger ur blood sugar to go up.. yesterday when i pricked myself after lunch it went to 8.0.. no ramen and agedeshi tofu for me....

Did you record what you had for breakfast? Could be something that trigger ur blood sugar to go up.. yesterday when i pricked myself after lunch it went to 8.0.. no ramen and agedeshi tofu for me....
Yes. Even tho i just took 2 slices of wholemeal bread with tuna in olive oil. (which dr say is ok one) is still high at 8.3
Thereswhy dr say better to start me on insulin cause my body not able to burn it.. I wanted to try a few more rounds see if i can control it, but he dont want me to drag le cause i am already into 30th week. and bb is already quite big at 1.8kg.

tuna cannot have oil. need to be water base. oil will trigger the sugar level to go up.
Maybe u ladies wan to try to drink some ladyfinger water which helps to lower the sugar level. I myself is taking it. I do see results. BUT becare of getting hypo. Dun over drink it. YAP it sound gross but as long as it help us.. why not.
Soaked 2-3 ladyfinger - slit it
soak in room temp water. Drink it the next morning.

tuna cannot have oil. need to be water base. oil will trigger the sugar level to go up.
Maybe u ladies wan to try to drink some ladyfinger water which helps to lower the sugar level. I myself is taking it. I do see results. BUT becare of getting hypo. Dun over drink it. YAP it sound gross but as long as it help us.. why not.
Soaked 2-3 ladyfinger - slit it
soak in room temp water. Drink it the next morning.
Oh i din know oil will trigger it. No wonder when i eat steam chicken or pork (quite oily) it goes quite high. When i eat western food quite ok.

must watch what kind of meat u eat though its steamed esp those oily ones. normally i took egg with a slice of cheese with bread. reading quite ok. chose carefully the type of cheese too. too salty oso cannot.

must watch what kind of meat u eat though its steamed esp those oily ones. normally i took egg with a slice of cheese with bread. reading quite ok. chose carefully the type of cheese too. too salty oso cannot.
Thanks for advise.. Am very ca
reful now. But my readings sometimes flatuate a lot even tho i eat the same thing..
Is that normal? Did u encounter it?

oh not drinking enough water also will affect? wau really so many things to take note loh.
Any of u gals need to take insulin? after taking, my readings can go as low as 2.9 leh.

i am on insulin. pls be careful when u on insulin if too.low till blackout. always standby sweet in ur bag to rescue urself if u r outside.

too low is not good as well.. so yah, like simbaobao said, standby sweet stuff..

i'm not on insulin, but the nurse advise if my before reading is too low, should adjust my intake accordingly..

oh u so early found out u have GB already.. mine only found out during my 28th week scan.
Dr suspect that i could be a late GB also during my 1st pregnancy because bb is very big.

i had it when my #1 time. it din goes off totally after delivery.
yes one of the suay rare case tat ended up like dat. but my condition under controlled. so nw inject low.dosage first.

it's better than mine. :)
anyway, just a few weeks more. i think as long as don't touch sugar will be fine. How many weeks are you at?
Hello me now should be 30 weeks. Plus minus... well I did not touch sugar... I maintain below 5. The highest I went up is only 7.7. So I guess I still maintaining quite well. And have a little bit of self displicince ba. Family member keep giving me all sweet stuff but I endure. And I always prick myself before and after my meals. So I can say now... so far so good.

before meal should b 4.4 to 5.5. after meal is 5.5 to 6.5 for nuh diabetic clinic for pregnancy GD case. try to take fruits n not fruit juice. tat is what the dietition advised.

i am drinking it. it does helps. it was intro by a frd n i got quite turned off by it but faithfully drinking it nw.

My dietician also told me no fruit juice. fruits are fine. but my readings are actually still high when i eat apples and pears so my gynae ask me to stop also.. Only on and off i eat green apples. my reading sometimes flunctates a lot. even when i eat the same stuff. but so far for me western food seems to be the most 'safe' food for me.

i am drinking it. it does helps. it was intro by a frd n i got quite turned off by it but faithfully drinking it nw.
Did your readings really improve after taking it and how long did u take till u saw the effects?

I heard bittergourd tea is good also but not so good to take during pregnancy..?

so hard to get food choices, especially Chinese food. so far, my favourite is jpot steambot.
been monitored for 2 weeks, so far my readings are fine... hopefully dr will spare me from poking further.

fruit juice is a no-no as you're consuming more than what you should have without the fiber. e.g. 1 glass of apple juice is made from 2-3 apples where you should have only eat 1 to 2 servings of fruits a day.

Did your readings really improve after taking it and how long did u take till u saw the effects?

I heard bittergourd tea is good also but not so good to take during pregnancy..?
pls do not take bittetgroud its too cooling for us ladyfinger drink nt a mircale drink it depends on how u eat as well. it usually took a week to c the result provided u eat well.

hahaha their care sometimes made us super pissed esp this kind of timing.. got craving but cannot see is such a torture. there are days where i bo zheng hu and steal eat abit.. even a mouth i oso happy.

i took the test 2 weeks ago...before 40..2hrs after drinking the glucose drink its 60...within normal range..
but i still continue drinking sweet drinks like bubble tea and juices

Restarting this thread to look for support among mummies who are also like me trying to control blood sugar levels.

My doc asked me to control via diet control. It's been really tough for me since started last week. How do u ladies cope? Been pricking myself to check also what food causes spike as well.

Hope to hear u share n we can support and encourage each other on the journey ahead!

Back