PHONICS

Worry mum

I got letterland softback, pretty interesting, will try to do one letter per week, need lotsa discipline though haha

Also got the First activity workbooks, these will wait till she's familiar with the letterland characters.
Spent about $50.

I didn;t get the readers, will cost about $350 in all. Using the ladybird peter n jane series, cheap and serves well.

aa,
My girl watched Leapfrog Letter Factory and Word Factory once everyday, after about 1 week, she can remember all the letter sounds, and know all the vowels. She is starting to read very simple words, like cat, bat, mat...

Letter factory is very good at teaching all the sounds. Word factory is good at introducing the basics of how to read words, but I feel it doesn't give kids enough practice for other sounds like *un, *ig, *st and so on. There is a 3rd DVD, Code Word Caper, which teaches the rules of phonics like the silent E, also very good.

Hi mummies,
thanks for all the info.

just wondering, how old are your kids.
at what age (ave) do they learn to decipher the pronunciation of words? lets say 3 letter word like cat, dog etc.

thanks

Hi Steffie, I got mine at 16.28 pounds (including taxes, excluding delivery charges). The sounds are taught through puppets. Looks quite boring to me but my ds loves it a lot.

Hi tamarind (senior),
The leapfrog DVD series is not meant for teaching phonics. Rather, it's just an introduction to phonics for kids and adults. Btw, there's a fourth Leapfrog DVD - Learn to Read at the Storybook Factory, which introduces punctuations etc.

Hi Ora,
My ds can sound out and blend all 3 letter words by 29 mths old. It took him less than a week to do so.
And currently he (37 mths old) can easily segment (i.e spell) any 3 letter words. For words beyond 3 letters, it depends. He can segment words like stop, pants, hand, plant etc. He has no problem with reading long words like delicious, suddenly, hippopotamus, telephone, television etc...

There has been some interesting discussions on using flashcards with phonics. Personally, I don't use the flashcards methods, not even for sight words. Some parents may think it is a good idea to use both flashcards and phonics. However, some studies in US and UK have shown (in general) that kids who are taught to read words prior to learning phonics don't excel (as in the ability to read through phonics) as well as those who are not taught to read/recognise words prior to learning phonics.

Hi Ora, how abt your kids? When did they start blending and segmenting words? I read that kids can learn to read through phonics even before the age of 2.

Serenade, Jolly sounds good, your ds has achieved quite a lot!

My dd does a lot of sight words, she seems to memorise them well and can read her fav books on her own, must be sight words cos i've never taught her to blend sounds.

Hi Serenade,

Jolly sounds good. In fact, I got a catalogue from them and I thought of getting the Jooly phonics handbook (u tried out before?. Thanks for all yr valuable info
happy.gif
Not sure how I can master like u, phonics expert!

Tamarind, the leapfrod DVD sounds interesting. Maybe i will get it to learn more about phonics. Oh.. mummy is going back to school again .....

Tamarind,
Where did u get the LeapFrog DVD? Seems that Singapore is out of stock as had been looking around but everywhere I went told me is "OUT OF STOCK"
sad.gif

Any bought DVD from Amazon, can it be watch here? Previously my friend got me movies DVD from US, but do not know why cannot be watched.

aa, really? OOS? so sad
sad.gif

I think probably due to yr dvd player. I know some DVD player cannot read certain code

aa,
I ordered from Amazon.com. My friend tried it on her region 3 player and it works. I think the leapfrog DVDs are region free. I have sent you a PM.

Steffie,
Actually I myself never learnt phonics before. I also learnt a lot watching the leapfrog DVDs with my girl :) How come last time they never teach phonics in school ? I had a very hard time learning English because I was from a Cantonese speaking only family.

Hi Lena, any good phonics resources will help greatly in the ability to read, not necessary Jolly. I know of a lady who taught her kids reading through Letterland with great success. Her daughter could read chapter books by herself at the age of 4.5 years old.

Steffie, I am still far from being a phonics expert. There's still so much stuff that I'm trying to learn with my ds. But I feel it's worth the effort cos I can see the pride on my ds's face when he can blend and read new words easily.
happy.gif

I do have the handbook. The handbook contains a lot of photocopiable materials and activities. It gives me a good idea on how to teach my ds. I got the Jolly Phonics Cards for my ds to practice too. One thing abt Jolly Phonics, it's not comprehensive as in it does not cover all the phonics rules and stuff. It covers only the basics - the 44 letter sounds, blending words & the silent E rule. And if you are thinking of teaching your twins blends (st, sp etc) and word families, then Jolly may not be suitable.

Tamarind, yeah, phonics sounds so foreign to me. I have never learnt before in school. Looks like i have to order leapfrog thr' amazon.. thanks for yr info!

Serenade, I totally agree wif u. I felt so proud when they picked up something that I hav taught them
happy.gif
So i dun mind invest the time and effort

In fact, this afternoon, i dropped by Kino, saw the Jolly handbook and some Letterland books. Most prob will go for jolly cos I find the letterland book over colourful, difficult to read.

Ladies

Just saw this:
A must-attend workshops for parents to help your child to become an efficient and fluent reader.

Conducted by trainers with vast experiences in preschool.

For more details, please check out website: www.sacece.edu.sg
There is one workshop coming up this Saturday, 22 July 2006.

Lena, Thanks for yr info! Unfortunately, have to bring my boys for enrichment class during that timing
sad.gif

Let me know the outcome if u are attending, okie?

Lena, thats great. can teach yr dd at same time
happy.gif

Serenade, i have ordered some jolly materials from UK amazon, it really makes a diff ordering thre as compared to buying from Sin. Then again, cos my friend is thre, he wil help me to bring back in Oct so i k save on the shipping costs.

Would like to check on any phonics classes that I can consider for my boy who is 5 years now in K1. Teacher in his new kindergarten assessed that he is quite poor in his phonics. Appreciate recommendations pls. thanks.

Hi Apple0401,
Don't they teach phonics in kindergarten ? You mean they expect children to already be good at phonics before they enter kindergarten ?

Hi, mummies,

Just Saw this

2 Sept 2006
Montessori - Simple Phonics Preparing an early reader

Language development starts early and continues to be a major part of the child's development for early years.

Learn how to teach your child:
- Sounds of the 26 alphabet letters
- Recognise elements in rhyming words
- Identify vowel and consonant sounds
- Distinguish word variants
- Develop word building skills
- Develop vocabulary
- Improve listening skills
- Develop sight word recognition skills

Venue: Suntec City
Time: 1pm to 3pm
Fees: $50 per pax

For further details, please contact:
Audrey Lee 92724413
10 Dover Rise #07-01
Singapore 138680
email [email protected]

Hi Apple0401, if this is the case.. very stressful leh..

Lena, Aa, Steffie, Serenade - think can't sent my child to Zoo phonics liao.. cos they are teaching as per Amercian base, and the school in Singapore are teaching Bristish base leh.. thought the trainer claimed that there's not much difference, but am scare that it will confuse them lah..

stressed..........clipart{kao_confused}

Worrymum, dont be stressed. Try to read more about phonics before u teach yr child. Look at Serenade, she also learnt from scratch. Most of us are like u, we have to start off somewhere
happy.gif

Hi Apple0401,

There are a few phonics sources you can try:- Mrs Sam's Phonics (but my sis finds the progress rather slow), I CAN READ, Lorna Whiston etc. I'm not sure what's happening to the preschool system in Singapore but my sister received similar assessments for her N2 girl. So, she has to send her to various enrichment classes such drawing (cos she wasn't drawing/coloring well enough) and phonics lessons. On top of that, she has to coach her chinese and maths at home too. I guess schools expect parents to play a part in pushing the kids to excel.

Steffie, you are one lucky mom to have someone to get stuff from UK Amazon. Generally, the UK items are much cheaper on UK Amazon than elsewhere.

Worrymum, perhaps you can try to assess the differences b/w US and UK's letter sounds and ways of teaching.

Worry mum,
U mentioned that PAP is using ednoland? So the phonics prog will be something like an in-house one? I heard that PAP organises weekends phonics class for their students. Saw some kids rushing for those on Sats.
I am not too sure what phonetic differences there are bet US n UK but spelling wise, there are some glaring differences. E.g color, colour, centre, center etc. So have to take note.

Lena, yes.. PAP using in-house Ednoland. Spoken to the Marketing ppl at Ednoland, She said dont hurry the kids first on learning Phonics.. as they will confused later when the school teaches them. But am worried, like what Apple0401 said.. teacher commented abt her son.
kao_scared.gif

Yes, they do offer tuition class on Phonics for their students after school or during weekend, and is chargable.. so pathetic.. so young need to go for tuition class already ah..

From one of the exp mum, she told me that there will be some differences in both UK and US, she recommend Jolly Phonics to me.. am still waiting for her reply on the Phonics School name, so dare not to made any decision yet and try to searching more info abt it.. Scare that DS absorb different things..

Am in a Mandarin/dialect Speaking family.. so am difficult to blush up my English..(am a Chinese Stream student in Primary, then English Stream in SEC), like some mummies here, our school did not teaches us on Phonics leh... so now must work very very hard ...
kao_blush.gif

oh why the teachers are not very encouraging.. btw, instead of PAP, do u think sending them to those playschool that has native english speaking teachers or at least those preschool has certain standards of english teachers make a difference?

Worry mum, thanks for the links!

Steffie, cos am a FTWM, and my mum is looking after my Son, due to convenience for her to pick up my son, therefore, need to arrange sending to those nearby one.
embarrassed.gif

hi mommies...
Good place to discuss on phonics introduction to our kiddos!
happy.gif
Anyone here enrol your kids to PAP for Pre-Nursery, Nursery, K1 & K2? Care to share how's their phonics-teaching methods? Thanks-in-adv!

My ger who is 30mo now just dun seem to be ready to learn phonics. She is very poor in the pronounciation and in fact, uninterested.
sad.gif

WorryMum
Is that a seminar on phonics-teaching on Sept2? Anyone going?
happy.gif

Steffie
So which set of phonics materials did you get from UK?
happy.gif

Hi Shimmrs, yes. on 2 Sept - Workshop on Phonics..org by Asia Parenting.. Am considering whether to go or not... cos is Montessori, do look out the link on readinglesson that I posted.. think is useful to us too...
happy.gif

worrymum
huh? montessori-based? this is what my ger is learning in her current school. they only touch on phonics once or twice in a month.

ok, i will check on those links on readinglesson. thanks for sharing!
happy.gif

Just to add that i am pretty pleased with the letterland book i got, my dd likes the characters in the book and wants me to buy some more!

Hi shimmrs, I got the jolly phonics from the amazon UK, is cheaper than getting directly from the UK jolly phonics.

Lena, glad yr dd likes the book. tats the most important thing.

Serenade, i got the jolly handbook alrady. but have not started reading. hope to do so soon
happy.gif

Hi Lena, my ds likes the Letterland characters too. Which books did you get? I have got the ABC & New Alphabet Adventure books. Thinking of getting the Bedtime Stories book too. Did you get the handbook as well? How do you find it?

Steffie, have a good time with your kids. I think they will enjoy the actions.
happy.gif

Back