PGD/PGS in singapore during IVF

honeybaby1

Hello all,

My DH's semen analysis reported oligoasthenoteratozoospermia with very low sperm count. Chromosome analysis was done and was diagnosed with Y chromosome deletion (complete deletion of AZFc) which is the reason for bad sperm quality. IVF with ICSI is the only option but if we end with a boy, Y chromosome deletion will be inherited which means all sons will have same problem and we dont want to pass on this problem to our next generation. PGS/PGD test can be done to diagnose any genetic diseases in the embryo or check for chromsome imbalance (these tests will also have have gender information of the embryo). I understand PGS/PGD is allowed in Singapore only if there are genetic issues. I have 2 questions..

1. Is Y Chromosome deletion considered as genetic issue and will Singapore Health Board (Medical ethics board) allow PGD/PGS done during IVF?
2. Since this genetic issue is gender specific, will they allow disclosing of gender of the embryo and allow implanting only girl embryo?

Thanks in advance!

pancakess

Hi, I think the best way to find out will be to consult with the IVF doctor and find out if there was a precedent for doing PGD on your condition, however to my knowledge this procedure is only allowed for potentially life-threatening conditions. There is really a lack of information on the public domain on PGD cases in SG so it would be better to check directly with the doctor, or potentially a genetic counselor.

Azukin

Hi honey baby1, I just went through a cycle of IVF PGD myself.
My husband has a pair of chromosomes that has translocation (found during genetic testing) hence we needed the PGD.
To answer your 1st question, yes, your husband’s genetic issue is considered and will be eligible under PGD testing.
For your 2nd question: no, in SG, it is not ethical to disclose gender to couples for IVF no matter the situation. However, what pgd does is that it will give a report on your blastocysts on whether it is chromosomally balanced or not.
And since you say the issue is a Y chromosome deletion, this means that if your blastocyst result is ‘not balanced’, you can assume that it might have been a male, and if the blastocyst result is ‘balanced’, it is almost highly likely that it is a female/ you can regard it as a female. if any of your blastocysts inherits this ‘y deletion chromosome’, it will most probably be diagnosed under PGD as ‘not chromosomally balanced’.
However, you will still need to check with your gynae whether there is a PGD testing kit available for your DH’s condition. Currently there is only one PGD center in SG which is in NUH. but IVF clinics will be able to help check with the PGD center if they have the test kit for this specific condition.
I hope this helps.

RedNose

My husband has a pair of chromosomes that has translocation (found during genetic testing) hence we needed the PGD.
To answer your 1st question, yes, your husband’s genetic issue is considered and will be eligible under PGD testing.
For your 2nd question: no, in SG, it is not ethical to disclose gender to couples for IVF no matter the situation. However, what pgd does is that it will give a report on your blastocysts on whether it is chromosomally balanced or not.
And since you say the issue is a Y chromosome deletion, this means that if your blastocyst result is ‘not balanced’, you can assume that it might have been a male, and if the blastocyst result is ‘balanced’, it is almost highly likely that it is a female/ you can regard it as a female. if any of your blastocysts inherits this ‘y deletion chromosome’, it will most probably be diagnosed under PGD as ‘not chromosomally balanced’.
However, you will still need to check with your gynae whether there is a PGD testing kit available for your DH’s condition. Currently there is only one PGD center in SG which is in NUH. but IVF clinics will be able to help check with the PGD center if they have the test kit for this specific condition.
I hope this helps.

Honey baby1,

I'm doing PGS IVF next month at NUH. Have had 2 Fresh and1 FET cycles. Last one ended in MC.
Any updates on your IVF PGD cycle? I don't know anyone doing PGD or PGS, I'm interested to hear about your experience and results. Hope you can share!

All the best to you!

RedNose

I hope this helps.

Hi Azukin,

Thanks for spotting that I tagged the wrong name! Yes, I’d like to know more about your case and your experience with PGD. I’ve also sent you a private message :)

Baby dust to all of us here!

RedNose

bianbianni

Hi Astiva

We just had our genetic counselling session and the doctor told us that pgd cannot distinguish between normal genes vs genes with balanced translocation (carrier)? Is that true? Coz another doctor seemed to say that it can be distinguished during PGD...

astiva

Hi Astiva

We just had our genetic counselling session and the doctor told us that pgd cannot distinguish between normal genes vs genes with balanced translocation (carrier)? Is that true? Coz another doctor seemed to say that it can be distinguished during PGD...
For balanced translocation (my condition), the tech can only differentiate between balanced (normal OR carrier will list as balanced) and abnormal. For other genetic abnormalities, it may be different, I don’t know.

bianbianni

I see. Thanks for the clarification. We have balanced translocation too. I seemed to read online that there are new ways to distinguish, maybe it’s not offered in SG?

astiva

I see. Thanks for the clarification. We have balanced translocation too. I seemed to read online that there are new ways to distinguish, maybe it’s not offered in SG?
There is only one lab in the US that can distinguish between a balanced or a normal embryo: Pacgenomics. I haven’t heard of any other lab who can do this. But why this concern? Carriers are perfectly healthy.