PCOS DURING PREGNAMCY

aliciazhang

I was diagnosed with PCOS one year ago, and thank God now am 15 weeks pregnant naturally via strict low Glycemic Index and non dairy diet, and regular exercise.

I am still sticking to low GI diet but now wonder how I can meet the increasing calcium needs during pregnancy with a non dairy diet. I am sick of eating so much broccoli and sardines.any suggestions ladies?

Also, more generally, how do you ladies cope with PCOS during pregnancy?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hi alicia! Im on a low gi diet too. Totally gluten free and dairy free. I eat alot of berries and avocados, and all sorts of vegetables. My gynae said there's no need to drink milk as we are not cows. We should derive our calcium intake from veggies.
I'm now 5 weeks pregnant. :)

Congrats, Bindimum! So glad to know that there are other PCOS mummies-to-be out there :)
So far for calcium intake, I have been having canned sardines with toast for breakfast (I found I am ok with gluten), and try to eat more broccolli whenever I can. But I am so tired of both! I have also been drinking calcium fortified almond milk (dairy free).
Do you mind sharing what veggies that you eat that are rich in calcium?

Thanks @aliciazhang. In general I eat alot of dark green leafy veggies like kale, spinach, pak choy, broccoli, french beans.

I snack on almonds and guacamole dip!! :)

I havent really tried canned sardines. Bf is usually baby oat with fruit or avocado. I need variety soon! Hah

Did you read up on this gluten free diet online too? Ive been following this blog www.withgreatexpectation.com. She has pcos recipes, diet plans for the week etc...

Thanks for sharing your diet and the link. It looks interesting and I think I will start following it too.
So far I have been following PCOS Diva blog and Facebook page. She too has PCOS diet plan with good reviews (but not free though). I have not decided to buy the plan yet as I am really lazy to cook :p

I must say I am impressed that you can go for both low GI and gluten free. Low GI diet is not easy to begin with, and gluten free just eliminates even more choices! For me, I found going low GI and dairy free plus exercises so far is enough to regulate my cycles. Probably I will try more non gluten food in the future.

It does eliminate a lot of food especially I absolutely love French fries, yoghurt, pizza, pasta. But when I think back, probably that's the reason why it took me so long to conceive. Mine is an IVF baby and I started my dairy free gluten free diet about the same time I started the jabs, so it proves that it works. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, I'm not sure, but I'll stick to whatever works now. I do cheat occasionally. Especially now, my craving is salty savory food. French fries pls....hahah

Hi Mommies, I was diagnosed of having PCOS too but my OB did not recommend anything abt the diet plan you mentioned here.

Can you recommend your OB to me?

Yea sure! Hope it will be useful for me as it has been for me and aliciazhang. Which ob did you go too? Are you ttc? Was that how u found out u have pcos?

Yea sure! Hope it will be useful for me as it has been for me and aliciazhang. Which ob did you go too? Are you ttc? Was that how u found out u have pcos?

I went to to Dr. Kelly Loi but i dont feel the personal touch. I want someone better. I stopped going to there clinic for 1 year already.

Hi Mommies, I was diagnosed of having PCOS too but my OB did not recommend anything abt the diet plan you mentioned here.

Can you recommend your OB to me?
Hi yhanie_17, my diet was not recommended by my OB as well. She only recommended me to workout to lose weight, since I gained 5kg before bring diagnosed with PCOS. In fact, she wanted to put me on medicine.

I began my own research on natural way of dealing with pcos via correct diet and exercise. Basically I found low GI and non-dairy/soy milk diet plus workout helped me tremendously.

Hi yhanie_17, my diet was not recommended by my OB as well. She only recommended me to workout to lose weight, since I gained 5kg before bring diagnosed with PCOS. In fact, she wanted to put me on medicine.

I began my own research on natural way of dealing with pcos via correct diet and exercise. Basically I found low GI and non-dairy/soy milk diet plus workout helped me tremendously.

Thanks. Can you recommend me your OB. I wanna change mine.

My current ob is Dr Stephen Chew from nuh. Very funny man. Hes neither famous nor heavily discussed in forums but I like him very much. Because I'm still early in my pregnancy, I havent decide which ob to go with in future. I used to visit Dr Chan KH from Gleneagles. He did a laproscopy for me to remove my cysts. Very skilful and experience but very expensive....

Thanks. Can you recommend me your OB. I wanna change mine.
Actually I won't recommend her. I saw because her clinic is just within steps away from my office. I found her always impatient to listen to my questions and eager to end the consultation. I have stopped seeing her once I got pregnant. If you insist, here is her details. http://www.rafflesmedicalgroup.com/hospital/find-a-raffles-doctor/dr-karolyn-goh-wee-ching.aspx

I am currently seeing Dr Yeoh Swee Choo at Mount E as gynae for my pregnancy.

Those with pcos and pregnant take not cos we have high chance of gd and high bp

Last edited:

Back