NEED ADVICE: PCOS Laparoscopy

skirtrunning

Dear Sisters

I'm 32 this year, married for 3 years with no kids. I am diagnosed with PCOS and have very rare almost non existent periods (2-3 periods a year). Did HSG test showing my tubes are not blocked but Ultrasound shows I have a 2.8cm cyst on my left ovary.

Took Duphaston to induce menses before taking 2 cycles of Letrozole, 1 cycle of Clomid and I still did not ovulate. Doctor also prescribed me Gynoisotol and Metformin while I was on my 2nd cycle of Letrozole where I did not ovulate.

Doctor advised to lose weight as I am overweight and advised to go for laparoscopy to burst the tiny cysts encapsulating my eggs on my ovaries, thin my uterus lining and remove the 2.8cm cyst on my left ovary as well. Supposedly the surgery will help in ovulation. The doctor who advised me this is Dr Heng Tung Lan of Parkway East Hospital and she quoted a total of close to S$20K for the whole surgery (which comprises S$10k for her and another doctor to perform the surgery, S$6-8K for hospital ward charges, S$2.5K for anaesthesia, S$400 for Doctor visitation charges).Hubby and I feel that the cost is too much and are unclear to which ones can be claimed from medisave integrated plans and which from my company medical/personal life insurance plan.

Any ladies here had a similar situation as me and undergone the surgery before? Really appreciate if you could share with me your experience on how much did you spend in total for the surgery and if it really helps you in trying to conceive!

My hubby is getting impatient about us running from doctor to doctor seeking treatments and to be honest, I am also despondent whenever I think about all these problems in my reproductive system :'( :'(

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

Hi,
Dr Heng is a gynecologist and suggest you consult a fertility dr (female reproductive endocrinlogist) instead before leaping into a laparoscopy surgery. I had friends who did surgery to clear fibriods, cysts etc.. and after the surgery, it affected their womb/AMH fertility hormone levels.

Hi,
Dr Heng is a gynecologist and suggest you consult a fertility dr (female reproductive endocrinlogist) instead before leaping into a laparoscopy surgery. I had friends who did surgery to clear fibriods, cysts etc.. and after the surgery, it affected their womb/AMH fertility hormone levels.

Hi Daylesford, very grateful for your advice.

Do you have a fertility dr (female reproductive endocrinlogist that you know or would recommend?

I plan to Google search 'fertility dr (female reproductive endocrinlogist) ' just to see for reference, because I don't know what is the difference between a gynae and a endocrinlogist. Will be really grateful if you can enlighten me!

Hi,

Hi Daylesford, very grateful for your advice.

Do you have a fertility dr (female reproductive endocrinlogist that you know or would recommend?

I plan to Google search 'fertility dr (female reproductive endocrinlogist) ' just to see for reference, because I don't know what is the difference between a gynae and a endocrinlogist. Will be really grateful if you can enlighten me!

Gynea is a dr that looks after pregnant women... while reproduction endocrinologist is a fertility dr.

If you are specifically for Female Fertility Drs then dr shiela loh from RH, dr ann tan from Mt E or Dr Kelly Looi from Mt E...

i was with Dr LC Cheng from TMC since 2010 and he helped me conceive my 2 boys. Other recommendations will be
dr Tan Heng Hao from KKH IVF, dr sF loh from TFC ... they are all established fertility drs in SG.

Gynea is a dr that looks after pregnant women... while reproduction endocrinologist is a fertility dr.

If you are specifically for Female Fertility Drs then dr shiela loh from RH, dr ann tan from Mt E or Dr Kelly Looi from Mt E...

i was with Dr LC Cheng from TMC since 2010 and he helped me conceive my 2 boys. Other recommendations will be
dr Tan Heng Hao from KKH IVF, dr sF loh from TFC ... they are all established fertility drs in SG.
Hi Daylesford, I just wanted to update you that we heeded your advice to consult Dr LC Cheng in sometime July last year and after one round of failed IUI, we proceed with IVF frozen cycle with Dr Cheng and succeeded with me being 6 months pregnant now!

I'm so glad we took your advice and followed Dr Cheng's instructions every step of the way to conceive our first boy who will be due this November. Thank God our prayers are answered. When I read my post in this thread again, I could still feel how lost I was during that time and how desperate my husband and I were in trying to seek support groups and people undergoing similar difficulties like us. So glad someone like you responded to our post! Your replies were a blessing to us. God bless

Back