OSCAR

bely

Hi Mummies to be,

I'm currently at 8 weeks, EDD Feb 2013c

My gynae has given us the option of OSCAR test in a months time (12 weeks) but suggests it is not necessary because at 31 years old, still considered low risk.

Would appreciate any advise. How many of you mommies to be choose to undergo this test?

Hi, I'm due in feb 2013 too~~ going for OSCAR next 2 wks.. Consider low risk cos I'm 29 this year.. But can see baby for 30 mins & just to be sure~~ no harm doing it too...

Bely, i went for oscar when i was 32yrs old but my result/risk probability was that of a 35yr old, meaning high risk. No harm doing it for a peace of mind. Anyway it's just a longer scan time and blood test.

Hi usaginoko,

How did it feel to be classified as high risk? Did you choose to go for further testing?

I'm hesitant as there seems to be a considerable number of false positives--- means I have to worry for nothing!

Bely, my result was 1:248. Most mums in my thread was 1:10000+. My bb nuchal (neck thickness) was on high side. So I did cvs to confirm bb is ok. It was indeed a very stressful n worrying 1 week waiting for result. But I'd do it again if I've another child.

Hello I'm due this dec and I'm 23 my Gynae mentioned its good to do first trimester screening! No harm doing it!!
happy.gif
) it's will be just blood test and measure bb fluid gap beneath Bb neck

Hi, I am due in Jan 2013, 29 this year and I will be going for the OSCAR scan tomorrow (12 weeks plus) - think it's no harm just to make sure baby is growing well.

If you are unsure if you want to go for it, u can opt for just a blood test first and wait for result. Of cuz Oscar test is the most accurate. But I'll go for blood test first and do Oscar only if necessary.

jermjerm, how were your results?

Usaginoko, im glad your cvs went well and baby is well!!
How long did you wait for the first Oscar test?

bely, i waited less than a week for results.

OSCAR, or One-stop Clinic for Assessment of Risk for Fetal Anomalies is a combination test. It involves a nuchal translucency (NT) scan and a blood test.
Gynae just do ultrascan for longer time to measure neck thickness, so can just go for it. I did the scan first, gynae said result not too gd, up to me to continue with blood test to see probability or straightaway do CVS or leave it. I opt to take blood test as well, but that meant another 1-2 days wait for result.

I m 35.. will be doing Oscar on 14 Aug.. Gynae advise on Oscar 1st, if results is not idea, then can opt for amniocenetsis.

Jermjerm, that's great news!

I havnt seen the doc yet but nurse told me mine was 1:500.

I'm wondering if the results are evaluated on the same scale? Cause the average for my age (32) is supposedly around 1:550. Why do I see some mummies have ratios like 1:10,000?

Can anyone enlighten?

Thanks!

OSCAR test combines several factors to compute the risk of Down's Syndrome. These factors include maternal age, neck thickness, blood test reading, mother's smoking profile. I can't recall the accuracy but it's around 70-85%. Usually gynaes will advise OSCAR first, then those deemed with less favourable results will be offered the option of CVS or amnio (99% accuracy). Unlike CVS and amnio which are invasive tests, and carries a 1% risk of miscarriage, OSCAR doesn't carry that risk as it just involves an ultrasound scan + a maternal blood test.

According to my gynae's standard, a risk factor of 1:300 is considered high-risk.

how much does the OSCAR test cost?? TIA! =) i am thinking should i give it a miss cos no matter what hapens, this bb is still my child and i am going to give birth to it...

Hi Usaginoko, just wanna check with you, after u did ur cvs, hw long did u have to wait to know ur results? Were u refered to the counsellor for the results? I waiting for mine. I have the same risk ratio as you. Kkh juz called for me to come in to c d counsellor. I am pretty scared actually as i wld expect d doc to see me instead. Hw is d procedure like? I did my test on the 28 aug n will be seeing the counsellor on 13 sept.

faddie, just saw your post....

i waited for a week for the results (including weekend). Not referred to counsellor coz I was seeing gynae in private practice, so I guess it's not the norm to refer for counselling?

the gynae inserted a needle into my womb to extract the cells. I was fully conscious and could see the ultrascan of needle going in. Its a very quick procedure, 15-20min only. But after that had to rest in recovery room for an hour, did a scan to make sure everything ok before they let me leave. And for the next 3-4 days had to bed rest.

Ladies, anyone knows if it is cheaper to have OSCAR test done at KKH compared to private hospital? Will it be cheaper if I can get a referral letter from polyclinic to go KKH?
I am going to do mine at Thomson two weeks later. It is a package of OSCAR and FA scan costing 400 plus.

Hi just go my Oscar result today.. according to gyne is low risk.. but i read the thread above 1:300 is high risk.. my result 1:360...

Back