OCD Support Group

babycat

Dear all,

This thread is specifically for parents who have a child who has OCD. The purpose of this thread is to provide emotional support for the parents. It is not always easy to know what to do when you first realize your child has a problem and you suspect it might be OCD. Finding professional help will be 1 of the first steps you should take as a parent...

Short introduction of myself:
I have a 11 yo boy. His condition started last year May 2015 before his Primary 4 mid-year exam. He cried to school every day and even during lessons. He told us he was worried about exams, homework and even scared of his teachers. School counsellor giving him counselling sessons for a year but with no improvement.

Early this year, he cried while changing to get ready for school, during breakfast and even cried until he reached the school. He started getting slow in writing and keep using correction tape much more often compared to last year. Simple composition correction will take him 3 hours to complete. He can keep doing homework (in a slow manner) until 12am during weekday nights. During lessons, his mind is focusing on the non-important things and once lessons ended, he will either walk out the classroom with the teacher to ask what was taught during the period or he will stay back almost every day to look for teachers to seek clarification or to borrow notes or answer keys for corrections. He does not mix around with his classmates and he needs a lot of assurance and affirmation from the teachers. He will repeatedly and excessively asking the same questions and repeating words spoken by others to ensure that he heard them correctly. He will take at least 30mins to 45mins to get change or bathe, particularly with his rituals. He peels his finger nails and lips. He will do repeating actions like zipping his pants, school bag, pencil case and wear shoes.

School counsellor told us to get a referral letter from the Polyclinic to refer him to CGC and he is currently going through ERP treatment.

If you have anything to share, do drop a note here...

Hi there, have you found/formed a support group yet? We have recently starting fighting OCD in my 10 yo son and it would be really great to hear from someone who has gone down this route before.

Dear all,

This thread is specifically for parents who have a child who has OCD. The purpose of this thread is to provide emotional support for the parents. It is not always easy to know what to do when you first realize your child has a problem and you suspect it might be OCD. Finding professional help will be 1 of the first steps you should take as a parent...

I have a 11 yo boy. His condition started last year May 2015 before his Primary 4 mid-year exam. He cried to school every day and even during lessons. He told us he was worried about exams, homework and even scared of his teachers. School counsellor giving him counselling sessons for a year but with no improvement.

Early this year, he cried while changing to get ready for school, during breakfast and even cried until he reached the school. He started getting slow in writing and keep using correction tape much more often compared to last year. Simple composition correction will take him 3 hours to complete. He can keep doing homework (in a slow manner) until 12am during weekday nights. During lessons, his mind is focusing on the non-important things and once lessons ended, he will either walk out the classroom with the teacher to ask what was taught during the period or he will stay back almost every day to look for teachers to seek clarification or to borrow notes or answer keys for corrections. He does not mix around with his classmates and he needs a lot of assurance and affirmation from the teachers. He will repeatedly and excessively asking the same questions and repeating words spoken by others to ensure that he heard them correctly. He will take at least 30mins to 45mins to get change or bathe, particularly with his rituals. He peels his finger nails and lips. He will do repeating actions like zipping his pants, school bag, pencil case and wear shoes.

School counsellor told us to get a referral letter from the Polyclinic to refer him to CGC and he is currently going through ERP treatment.

Hi, I happen to see your post. Recently, my son was diagnosed with OCD. He's in sec 1 this yr. Due to his condition, he's not able to cope with his studies. Currently, we're waiting for the ERP therapy in CGC. In the meantime, we're facing the challenge of helping our son. May I know how's the therapy session for your son, is it effective and do u see any improvement? Would appreciate if u can share more...thks!

Dear all,

Hi babycat,

My child was recently diagnosed with OCD. I am looking to join a support group or form one with parents going through similar struggles. If you are interested or know who I can approach please reach me at 9784 6844. Thanks.

Hi babycat,

My child was recently diagnosed with OCD. I am looking to join a support group or form one with parents going through similar struggles. If you are interested or know who I can approach please reach me at 9784 6844. Thanks.

Hi, I happen to see your post. Recently, my son was diagnosed with OCD. He's in sec 1 this yr. Due to his condition, he's not able to cope with his studies. Currently, we're waiting for the ERP therapy in CGC. In the meantime, we're facing the challenge of helping our son. May I know how's the therapy session for your son, is it effective and do u see any improvement? Would appreciate if u can share more...thks!

Hi,

Back