Need help urgently!

Goondo

Hi all,
I have some problem now which no one can help to answer my question.
I tried calling IPTO, case trust, small claim and even police.

Recently I received a call from debt collector saying that I owed their client $4600 who are suppliers for laminate flooring. After the debt collector faxed me the tax invoice dated 28/11/2011 then I realize the site job they did was not under my company's project and it was 3years ago case, They get the debt collector to claim against me, the tax invoice attn was to one of my freelance designer, I called him straight away and he told me this project has nothing to do with me. He think they mistaken and the designer called their company and told them about the billing but their accountant insist of me to pay off this debts, when I ask for contract , they say no contract , only orally. The debt collector keep smsing me to pay . If I don't they will come to my house.
My wife was 4months pregnant and I have another 2 young children at home , if the debt collector really come and make a fuss I really don't know what to do.
I have checked with all relevant dept but no one can help.

Can someone give me advice?

Last edited:

Yes PTB but they can't do anything.
if the police aka our law enforcers cant help think you can get ready go get a lawyer ...
i seriously doubt MP can do anything ...esp when police said they cant do anything

TS
First of all, remain calm. u have nothing to fear. Debt collectors will use all sorts of threats to do their job, but in reality, action is a separate matter. No one can stop them visiting your home. Even strangers can drop by unannounced. Therefore, do not fear something u can't control.

For now, make a police report against the number, say that u are innocent party, unrelated to the debt. Police will call up the number to tell them to stop. However, they will not stop calling u, so u have to block all calls/sms/whatsapp from that number. Police will tell u to make a magistrate's complaint against that number before they take further action. This is really troublesome.

If they really do come to your house, go out talk to them, and call the police, use cam to record down their faces. Police will come to interview them, and since u are not the debtor, police will take down all their NRIC and warn them. Imagine u work as a debt collector, how u gonna tell your boss that u have done your job. Kena police warning.. then they will stop.

Police will only take it seriously if true innocent public is harmed. so unless harm is done, they will not be bothered. Debt collectors know that. Thus.. they not scare to threaten everything and anything because they know.. police dun act on threats. I think the police have failed in their role in this aspect. But that's just my opinion.

My mother-In-Law once threaten by loanshark but she and my father-In-Law did not borrow any money from them. They make a police report but the police says they cant do anything just ask them to be careful, makes them so angry

First thing of all, you have to make clear to the debt collectors that you are neither the debtor nor are you the guarantor and whatever they are doing to you right now constitute harassment as well as defamation (as by their debt collecting ways they are actually putting your reputation at risk). Take down their debt collecting company name, the full name if possible NRIC of the person who is trying to collect debt from you and make a copy of those correspondences they are using to collect debt from you.

Second, go to see a doc if possible a psychiatrist to obtain a letter/certificate proving that you are very affected and depress by their (debt collectors) actions.

Third go to a lawyer, issue a letter of demand to both the company as well as the debt collecting company for compensation as well as medical fees and lawyer fees. Remember to let your lawyer know that you would wish that cost is to be paid by them as you are the victim here however this will only be assess at a later stage. but honestly to me, the actions i have advised might cost you somewhere in the range of $500.00 (in the event if you did not managed to get any cost awarded to you) but this will put a stop to the nonsense they are, so i believe the money can be considered well spent..

Sometimes to deal with such people is that when they threaten you or stress you, you stress them with law as a backup.

Back