Natural vs Medicated FET

milogal88

Hi, anyone did both natural and medicated FET before but succeeded on the latter? I failed on my natural FET previously and the monitoring and scanning process in tracking O for me was quite tedious. Hence I opt for medicated this time round. However, from what I gathered, most ladies seem to succeed on natural FET instead. It does make me swing on my decision a little. Thus, would love to hear some success stories with medicated. Thanks!

Hello dear..

I just about to embark on a FET. In fact last 2 days was my 1st day of period and made a call to the centre. So first ultrascan scheduled next week, 22nd.
Would you know of what the procedures are for a FET?
Thanks!

Hi babe! are you on a natural FET? which hospital are you with?

For my last natural FET with KKH last Nov, basically the 1st scan will occur on CD10 or 11, upon your call when your AF first reported. Based on your 1st scan, they will monitor your lining and follicle (if any). My guess is if you are a regular 28 days cycle person and have no issue with O, you probably need another 1 or 2 more scans They will also ask you to do an opk to double confirm if you've O which they will provide you. As usual, the review doc will still review your readings and scan. If everything is ok, they will then schedule you for ET. For my case is a bit different. I'm a late ovulator and my lining was quite thin then. Ended up I was literally camping at KKH on CD10, 11, 14, 17 and 21 for scans before I finally O, lining ready and ET was scheduled 4 days after on CD25. No forms of injections was given to me. Just support inserts for the 2ww after the ET.

Try not to be too stressed up coz it might affect your O and if there's no O occurring, your FET might be cancelled. You can start to beef up your lining now and see how your 1st scan goes. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Thanks dear for the reply.

Im not sure myself if it is a natural or medicated fet. Was just told to call in on my 1st day of period and then they gave the scan date.
To be honest, im not too sure of my ovulation dates. Never tracked them before. In fact, becos ive been total breastfeeding my son, my 1st period came 21 months after giving birth and it has been quite regular 28 - 30 days. Will have cramps ard CD 15 onwards so i took it that im ovulating.
What do you take to thicken up e lining? Im more worried about having to run up & down KKH many days wif a toddler.
Anyway Thanks again my dear & may things go well for you! :)

No worries babe! Reckoned that you should be on natural FET. Coz if it's medicated, you'll then be prescribed with progynova to be taken when your cycle starts. I only take red bean soup and almost daily acupuncture sessions to thicken the lining. It works very well for me so far.

Don't worry too much. I'm sure you'll be able to manage and don't need so many scans. I always encounter all the unforeseen situations! haha...not sure if I'm lucky or what. But good to hear that you've already got your bundle of joy with you. I'm still waiting for my little miracle! :D

Hi @milogal88 & @ain_wayne,
How's your FET & everything? I will be embarking on my FET in Nov/Dec. Just consulted my Dr & signed the relevant documents just now. Was told that my will be natural FET. Hearsay that ovulation is by taking blood test in morning & evening for 3 days. Hmm. They said it's a more accurate way than the prediction kit. Sigh. But 6 BT in a span of 3 days...

Hi @cherylng, am currently in the dreaded 2ww. I'm glad I went ahead with medicated this time as it was quite a breeze. Which hospital are you with? But I do agree that with OPK might not be super accurate as compared to a BT. Coz for my last natural FET, the review doc and nurses were like uncertain if they see the O line or not until they have to go find another review doc next door to double confirm :rolleyes:

So you have to head back to the hospital every other day for BT?

Hi @cherylng, am currently in the dreaded 2ww. I'm glad I went ahead with medicated this time as it was quite a breeze. Which hospital are you with? But I do agree that with OPK might not be super accurate as compared to a BT. Coz for my last natural FET, the review doc and nurses were like uncertain if they see the O line or not until they have to go find another review doc next door to double confirm :rolleyes:

So you have to head back to the hospital every other day for BT?
Hi @ milogal88 , I m with SGH. As upcoming cycle will be my 1st fet, Dr asked me to go with natural. The nurse explained that with BT they can know the exact hr of ovulation. As for the BT - it will be drawn every morning & evening for 3 days straight. My blood!!
R u currently resting at home or working? Given 2 wks of HL? I also asked about this cos my HL will most prob be during the yr end so colleagues will be clearing their leaves etc. Hopefully will not cause much inconvenience...

Hi @milogal88 & @ain_wayne,
How's your FET & everything? I will be embarking on my FET in Nov/Dec. Just consulted my Dr & signed the relevant documents just now. Was told that my will be natural FET. Hearsay that ovulation is by taking blood test in morning & evening for 3 days. Hmm. They said it's a more accurate way than the prediction kit. Sigh. But 6 BT in a span of 3 days...
Hi @cherylng ,

My last fet at kkh, ovulation is tracked using opk and virginal scan, didn't go for blood test leh. If blood test is more accurate, I'll go for it, dont want my fet to be compromised. .. Shall enquire with Dr when i go for my endo scratch.

Hi @ milogal88 , I m with SGH. As upcoming cycle will be my 1st fet, Dr asked me to go with natural. The nurse explained that with BT they can know the exact hr of ovulation. As for the BT - it will be drawn every morning & evening for 3 days straight. My blood!!
R u currently resting at home or working? Given 2 wks of HL? I also asked about this cos my HL will most prob be during the yr end so colleagues will be clearing their leaves etc. Hopefully will not cause much inconvenience...
Oh, just read that you are with sgh, maybe that explains the different practice.

Ya I guess most doc (regardless of which hospital) will encourage natural FET first unless got issues with O. For FET in kkh they normally give 3 days HL but can ask for more. Yup resting for at least 1 week before I head back to work. At least rest for that implantation window period. That's how I see it la.

Hi @cherylng ,

My last fet at kkh, ovulation is tracked using opk and virginal scan, didn't go for blood test leh. If blood test is more accurate, I'll go for it, dont want my fet to be compromised. .. Shall enquire with Dr when i go for my endo scratch.

Haha @HappyPeanuts , I also had V scan to track for O during last natural FET. Thereafter they gave me the opk to test & double check. Yet, they are still in unsure state! That got my eyes rolled to the back & front!

Hi @cherylng ,

Oh, just read that you are with sgh, maybe that explains the different practice.
I was told that there will be a few v scans to determine the 3 days period whereby i will take the BTs.
Yah. Maybe Different hospital different protocol.

Ya I guess most doc (regardless of which hospital) will encourage natural FET first unless got issues with O. For FET in kkh they normally give 3 days HL but can ask for more. Yup resting for at least 1 week before I head back to work. At least rest for that implantation window period. That's how I see it la.

Haha @HappyPeanuts , I also had V scan to track for O during last natural FET. Thereafter they gave me the opk to test & double check. Yet, they are still in unsure state! That got my eyes rolled to the back & front!
Actually I was thinking if the HL is only a few days, I would request for about 1 wk & maybe take 1 more wk of leave to rest lor...
My Dr said that she will take 3 of my D3 frosties to thaw & cultivate to D5 & hopefully transfer 2. Anyone did this before?

Actually I was thinking if the HL is only a few days, I would request for about 1 wk & maybe take 1 more wk of leave to rest lor...
My Dr said that she will take 3 of my D3 frosties to thaw & cultivate to D5 & hopefully transfer 2. Anyone did this before?

For HL is very subjective. Some prefer to go back to work right away while some prefers to take full 2 weeks. I prefer to take 1 week to keep my sanity in check. Haha.

My current transfer was thaw from 4 D2 frosties and cultivate to blast. But mine was a day 4 instead of 5 as the embryologist & my doc felt it's better to transfer 1 day earlier than wait as 1 of it is hatching out. Anyhows, out of the 4, 1 didn't make it, 1 under observation & if can survive another day they will freeze it and the other 2 are fighting hard to stay inside me now. I know that there are 2 school of thoughts with cultivating to blast. But I personally feel that blast works better for me so far.

Just stay positive. Your frosties will make it ya!

Hi all,

I'm embarking on a medicated FET soon and I need some refresher. I succeeded with a medicated FET last year and my son is currently 5months. We wanted to try again. My period came back but on d14 shows missed ovulation or no ovulation. But lining is 12mm on d12. So cannot proceed. My dr then gave me duphaston to bring on a period and to begin progynova on d2 of period. I can't rmb but does duphaston help to bring on ovulation? And do I need to ovulate even on medicated FET?

For HL is very subjective. Some prefer to go back to work right away while some prefers to take full 2 weeks. I prefer to take 1 week to keep my sanity in check. Haha.

My current transfer was thaw from 4 D2 frosties and cultivate to blast. But mine was a day 4 instead of 5 as the embryologist & my doc felt it's better to transfer 1 day earlier than wait as 1 of it is hatching out. Anyhows, out of the 4, 1 didn't make it, 1 under observation & if can survive another day they will freeze it and the other 2 are fighting hard to stay inside me now. I know that there are 2 school of thoughts with cultivating to blast. But I personally feel that blast works better for me so far.

Just stay positive. Your frosties will make it ya!
Hmm. Maybe I will rest for 1 wk & see how it goes before deciding whether to continue or go back to work. Haha
Take care sis & enjoy your 2ww. Rest & relax k...

Hi all.. I plan to start my natural FET in Dec. My doc suggested to thaw 5 D2 and cultivate it to blast. Hopefully all my embryos survive. Do you think we can proceed if we don't ovulate? I have been checking my O day and sometimes I don't get O.

Hi all,

I'm embarking on a medicated FET soon and I need some refresher. I succeeded with a medicated FET last year and my son is currently 5months. We wanted to try again. My period came back but on d14 shows missed ovulation or no ovulation. But lining is 12mm on d12. So cannot proceed. My dr then gave me duphaston to bring on a period and to begin progynova on d2 of period. I can't rmb but does duphaston help to bring on ovulation? And do I need to ovulate even on medicated FET?

Hi @xxhazel_nutxx !! Good to hear success story with medicated FET!! Gives me some hope! From my understanding, with medicated FET everything is controlled so I don't think you need to ovulate per se. Once lining is ideal they will schedule for ET.

Hmm. Maybe I will rest for 1 wk & see how it goes before deciding whether to continue or go back to work. Haha
Take care sis & enjoy your 2ww. Rest & relax k...
@cherylng Thanks sis! The 2ww is always the hardest for this ivf journey despite going thru a few times already. Oh wells!

Hi all.. I plan to start my natural FET in Dec. My doc suggested to thaw 5 D2 and cultivate it to blast. Hopefully all my embryos survive. Do you think we can proceed if we don't ovulate? I have been checking my O day and sometimes I don't get O.
@Ginny_minnie, for natural FET you need to O before can proceed for ET. Even if O but lining not ideal the cycle will be aborted as well. That's why they will keep sending you for scans & test on opk, if you're with kkh.

Hi @xxhazel_nutxx !! Good to hear success story with medicated FET!! Gives me some hope! From my understanding, with medicated FET everything is controlled so I don't think you need to ovulate per se. Once lining is ideal they will schedule for ET.

Hihi thanks for clarifying! I find that medicated is less stressful and more controlled.

I'm quite confused now cos it seems like my dr is planning me for a natural FET instead. Cos he prescribed me duphaston to take and progynova on d2 of my period. Is that how it works?

@xxhazel_nutxx Indeed! Now that I've done both I would much prefer medicated. I only went in for scan once & I'm ready for ET. Just that the success stories I read were mostly natural. But I thought if you're given progynova would be a medicated cycle already? Coz for natural FET no medication given. Just call them up on CD1 of AF and they schedule the 1st scan on cd10 or 11 to track your O and lining from there. Anyway that's the protocol for Kkh. Are u with them too?

@xxhazel_nutxx Indeed! Now that I've done both I would much prefer medicated. I only went in for scan once & I'm ready for ET. Just that the success stories I read were mostly natural. But I thought if you're given progynova would be a medicated cycle already? Coz for natural FET no medication given. Just call them up on CD1 of AF and they schedule the 1st scan on cd10 or 11 to track your O and lining from there. Anyway that's the protocol for Kkh. Are u with them too?

Yah actually I think medicated works better for me.

So means d2 once my period comes and I start progynova to thicken the lining and once lining has reached a min thickness can proceed to transfer? I have a few d5 blasts so when shld the ET be once my lining is ready?

Hi Ginny_minnie. I'm in same situation in that doc also suggested to thaw 5 D2 and cultivate to blastie but will be doing FET in Nov. Doc also suggested to do natural FET considering previous 2 natural AF cycles, I tested OPK +ve and lining was ok during previous fresh ivf cycles.
Maybe worth checking with doc and letting him know your observations and concerns, and see what he advises.
Jia you!

Hi Ginny_minnie. I'm in same situation in that doc also suggested to thaw 5 D2 and cultivate to blastie but will be doing FET in Nov. Doc also suggested to do natural FET considering previous 2 natural AF cycles, I tested OPK +ve and lining was ok during previous fresh ivf cycles.
Maybe worth checking with doc and letting him know your observations and concerns, and see what he advises.
Jia you!

Thanks.. My lining was okay during fresh cycle. But I'm afraid of no ovulation. All the best to you!! I might start in Nov too..

Hi ladies, for natural fet - r u all prescribed with any medication? I know that I m on natural fet. Went for my D2 scan. Was given letrozole for 5 days - to start taking from tmr. Aspirin to start taking later tonight till the nurse asked me to stop. Thot for natural fet - there's no medication involved?? Correct me if I m wrong. Tia...

I think medicated FET is less stressful, it's just to focus on the lining thickness. For natural FET, though it may really at it's most natural state, then again, to track both lining thickness and ovulation seem stressful. I know of ladies who abandon the cycle because either lining is not thick enough (Min 8mm to transfer) or ovulation happened too early / late.

Yap, i agree. I had a stressful wkend. Cos need to take BT 2x per day for the LH surge. Tiring & drained. Then it's praying hard for the embryo to cultivate now. A tough journey...

Yap, i agree. I had a stressful wkend. Cos need to take BT 2x per day for the LH surge. Tiring & drained. Then it's praying hard for the embryo to cultivate now. A tough journey...
I agree, it just adds up to the stress and what happens if you gets too stressed up? The system just acts haywire

Yah lor. But how not to be stressed when there are so many things to worry about...
precisely some ladies just head for medicated FET. Just whack red bean soup to increase lining and when hit min 8mm, just go for ET..

But since you have taken the natural FET path, there's no turning back. Just chiong all the way to ET.

precisely some ladies just head for medicated FET. Just whack red bean soup to increase lining and when hit min 8mm, just go for ET..

But since you have taken the natural FET path, there's no turning back. Just chiong all the way to ET.
My Dr suggested natural FET so I just follow lor. Just done with my ET this afternoon so officially in my TWW now. Actually it's shorter than 2 wks. Ha...

Hi all,

I'm joining u gals on natural FET. Will have my 1st scan next Friday. Hopefully lining grow.. ☺️
Hihi, your scan on next Friday is day ?? Increase intake on protein rich food for lining & follicles size. Did your Dr prescribed any medication for u?

Hihi, your scan on next Friday is day ?? Increase intake on protein rich food for lining & follicles size. Did your Dr prescribed any medication for u?

Next Friday should be D9. No medication prescribed to me. I just called kkh on my day 1 menses and then they schedule me for scan on day 9.

Hi, I am also considering doing FET and I read there was almost equal success rate for natural vs medicated from ladies in US/AU etc.
Like everyone else who is going thru IVF, I want to be sure the course I take will yield best environment for my embbies to implant.

I am with TFC, and am currently to tiao my body with acupuncture, after 1st fresh cycle BPN in oct. :(

May I ask you who recently went for FET, kindly share your experience or success with me? Did you use medicated or go on natural? What's procedures/protocol?
Thank you!

Hi patn,

I did my natural FET at KKH and my procedure is as such:-
Day 1: call kkh on day 1 of full flow, no medication prescribe
Day 9: 1st scan, I requested day 9 because I know day 8 is a bit early
Day 11: did OPK at home in the morning and take pic of the result
Day 12: 2nd scan and did another OPK, doc give green light to proceed with ET
Day 17: ET day - day 4 embryo

Bad side of natural FET are your lining and ovulation day must be sync. I started to track ovulation my cycle 2 months before, so that I know roughly when I ovulate. However, lining really can't control.

Hi patn,

I did my natural FET at KKH and my procedure is as such:-
Day 1: call kkh on day 1 of full flow, no medication prescribe
Day 9: 1st scan, I requested day 9 because I know day 8 is a bit early
Day 11: did OPK at home in the morning and take pic of the result
Day 12: 2nd scan and did another OPK, doc give green light to proceed with ET
Day 17: ET day - day 4 embryo

Bad side of natural FET are your lining and ovulation day must be sync. I started to track ovulation my cycle 2 months before, so that I know roughly when I ovulate. However, lining really can't control.

Hi @Ginny_minnie Thank you for sharing! Are you preggie now? :)
Yes I read ovulation and lining must both sync otherwise the cycle will be aborted. I think my ovulation also playing hide & seek at certain months. :( So it seems medicated is more for me then?
BTW, how thick/thin must be the lining? My previous fresh cycle I had 11mm lining but doc said I do not have enough eggs and ask to improve egg quality due to age related.

Hi @Ginny_minnie Thank you for sharing! Are you preggie now? :)
Yes I read ovulation and lining must both sync otherwise the cycle will be aborted. I think my ovulation also playing hide & seek at certain months. :( So it seems medicated is more for me then?
BTW, how thick/thin must be the lining? My previous fresh cycle I had 11mm lining but doc said I do not have enough eggs and ask to improve egg quality due to age related.

I'm still in tww. Just did ET last sat. I hope to get BFP too..
The nurse at kkh told me min is 6mm. I heard best case is 8mm. Mine was 7mm on day9 with follicle size 16mm. I guess it will continue to grow. When i had my fresh cycle, my lining was 12.9mm. I think medicated is the better, more controllable & predictable.

I'm still in tww. Just did ET last sat. I hope to get BFP too..
The nurse at kkh told me min is 6mm. I heard best case is 8mm. Mine was 7mm on day9 with follicle size 16mm. I guess it will continue to grow. When i had my fresh cycle, my lining was 12.9mm. I think medicated is the better, more controllable & predictable.

Seems like you have good numbers to start with!
And when will be your BT? Hope to hear good news from you! :)

Hi towkayneo, can you advise what is the difference between natural and medicated
For medicated, you are given progynova days after your menses and when the doc has certified your lining has hit the min 8mm, you can do the transfer.

For natural, seems like no medication is given. You have to wait till your lining hits 8mm naturally AND when you achieved ovulation. So you need to keep monitoring ovulation via ovulation sticks. If you have met both factors, then the transfer will take place.

For medicated, you are given progynova days after your menses and when the doc has certified your lining has hit the min 8mm, you can do the transfer.

For natural, seems like no medication is given. You have to wait till your lining hits 8mm naturally AND when you achieved ovulation. So you need to keep monitoring ovulation via ovulation sticks. If you have met both factors, then the transfer will take place.
Looks like medicated it's easier. And I think no need to take blood test.

Lining only 6.2 & was given last chance this Thursday. .. chances to transfer is slim...
If the lining is not able to meet the minimum standard, then it may be a g better idea to abandon this cycle and go for the next cycle. Work on the lining. Implantation will have a higher chance of happening if you have a good lining.

Back