Milk Power selection?

Hi mummies out there?

Im a first time mum and due in nov 08.

Wondering if any mummies out there can advice or share on milk powder?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Jeng. Heard the same thing from the nurse about similac too....But why people say similac got the most nutrients? Will the sweetness in similac cause harm to bb?

Hi Jo Yeo,

Besides your choice of milk powder, it also depends on your baby's liking. My elder gal was on Enfalac A+ until 6 mths. She had no pblm with it. However, when I gave the same to my 2nd gal, she had reflux and constipation pblms (common for some babies using this milk powder due to high iron content). I changed her formula to Friso 1, reflux pblm solved but constipation pblm remains. Somehow, after about 6 weeks, my baby suddenly reject Friso 1 totally and I have to change her formula to Similac. She sort of like it and has been drinking it in the last 2 mths. But, recently, her tastebud changed again, she start to reject Similac now. Guess I have to change her formula again
sad.gif
Some babies also had phelgm problem when taking certain brands of FM but same FM can be ok to other babies. Do monitor your baby when they take FM and inform your PD for advice if you come across problems (like frequent reflux, constipation, phelgm, etc....) Sometimes, such problems can be resolved by simply changing the FM :)

wow emileen, seems like we have to keep changing. So it seems like we just have to settle for 1 at the beginning then play by the ear rite. Ok if thats the case, then no need to worry so much. Just grab 1, let bb try then change when necessary. Thanks alot

Btw, can you gals advice me on this matter.

Gynae told me yesterday that my bb head is now engaged at the bottom and will not be likely to shift position coz its kinda low. im now 31+ wks. Does that mean that bb is popping soon?

Hi Jo Yeo,

Ya lor....our little angels can sometimes be very naughty and play punk with us....you will get what I mean when your baby's out :p

No need to worry lah....Your baby will tell you when he/ she is popping out to see this world.

As you might have attended antenatal classes or read from books, lookout for signs that your baby's coming out. You can also check with your Gynae on the estimated EDD date now.

However, you should start to pack your hospital bag now to avoid last minute panic and rush tho'.

My gynae is a super-cool and has been quite accurate in telling me about when my babies will arrive. When in the labour ward, he even tell me the estimated timing which my baby will come out...So far, he has been spot-on the the deliveries of my 2 gals
happy.gif

Enjoy this last stage of your preggy and stay tuned to await the arrival of your little angel
happy.gif

Hi,

Can i have your opinion about NAN HA 1? Is it applicable for babies with allergies only? My son is now 5 months old and i shifted his milk from S26 to NAN HA1 when he turned 1 month old without consulting his pediatrician. He has no allergies. I didn't breastfed my baby since he was born because I had no breastmilk and I delivered my baby via C-section. Some said that NAN HA1 is good for babies who are not breastfed but some also said that it's for babies who have allergies only.

My son will soon be turning 6 months old and I'm wondering if I will continue to give him NAN HA or shift to other formula.

Thanks,

Michelle

Yes Nan HA is mostly for babies wif high risk of allergy (as told by my PD). If your baby is fine and you have no family history of allergy like eczema, then it is better to let your baby try ordinary milk.For babies below 1 yr old, Enfalac A+ is a good choice. All my friends are using this but we will all change to Gain IQ when our babies are over 1 yo.

Hi Jo Yeo,

My baby's taking Similac....She settled with Similac after trying out many brands of FM - Enfalac/ Friso/ Mamil Gold/ Nan/ Nan HA......My gal is considered a fussy eater and quite difficult to make her drink milk. She fancies one milk for a while then lost interest after sometime and I have to change her FM again.

So far, it seems that she likes Similac best
happy.gif

my boy drank HA too (we went to 2 PD, 1 in his hospital - NUH, and 1 near our house). 1 PD said that he must drank HA, but another PD said no need, because his eczema not too bad.
But now he is 1 year already. I just give him HA for 3 or 4 tins only, then change to MAMIL GOLD, but now ENFAGROW cause the DHA is high. So far his eczema is ok, just come out when he's swett or he touch something dirty, but after we give him Vaseline, his eczema gone.

how do u decide on which milk powder for ur bb? will PD at the hospital after ur delivery recommend any brand?

if we choose to total breastfeeding (not sure if got breastmilk then or not), do we need to stock at least one can of milk powder for bb?

Hi Jan Jan,

Hospitals will have samples of different brands (not all tho') which you can choose should you want to let your BB take FM.

Yes, it is advisable to stock up 1 can (at least a small can) of milk powder as standby. You can get samples from Hospital or PD.

For me, I let the hospital bottlefeed my BB at nite when in hospital.

Popular brands are Nan, Enfalac, Similac, Friso. Its your preference really.

My 2 kids took different FM when they were babies to supplement BF. Elder one took Enfalac and younger one took Similac (she do no like Enfalac).

Hope this helps
happy.gif

hi snowball,

u mean hospital will gv us one small can of milk powder??

do u simply follow the milk brand the nurse gave ur bb?

Hi Jan Jan,

It depends on which Hospital you go. For me, I delivered at Mt E. They have bottled milk which they used to feed your BB. You can ask for a few samples.

My sisters' kids all drank Enfalac n they strongly recommended it for my kids. So, I just follow suit lor.

It boils down to your preference. My younger gal was a fussy eater. I have to try a few brands before she finally settled down with Similac
happy.gif

snowball,

will PD recommend milk powder brand to ur bb? or we simply gotta trial n error to find out wat best suit our bb?

Hi Jan Jan,

You can ask your PD for recommendation. So, its advisable to get samples from Hospital or PD to let your BB try before you finally decide on the brand to let your BB take.

However, do bear in mind that it will finally be what your BB like to drink as I should say all FMs have their merits and shld be equally good
happy.gif

Hi,

I just want to know your opinions about Gain Plus Advance EyeQ and Enfagrow A+. Which do you think is the best choice for my son who is now 16 months old?

He's drinking NAN Pro 3 now but I'm considering changing his milk to either of these two.

Thanks!

my girl is taking Wakado GunGun.. she has eczema and started off as a picky formula milk powder drinker. I BMed her for about 27 months so it was hard to get her weaned completely but she seems to like this milk powder so yay
happy.gif

You can find it in Isetan or Meidi-ya.

Ai @ http://sakuraharuka.blogspot.com

Hi,

when my baby were born I fed him Friso 1 but I change to S26 because most people said S26 is the best brand. I fed him for about 1 and the half mths and change it back to Friso 1 cause my baby poops had been green in colour ever since the 1st day he drinks S26. Now I've change back to Friso 1 again but my baby poo twice everyday and sometimes even 3 times a day. Is it normal? cos previously when he took Friso he was only a day old till a mth old and during that period babies poo as often as 4-5 times a day so now as he is 4mths old baby, normally will poo once a day or the most at times twice a day. Please advice. Thank you.

Back