Maid's salary

Hi Linda,

that's what I was told by the agency too that the maid will just eat the dishes fried with pork but not the pork itself. Anyway its too late to dispute now so we're just trying to see what's the best thing to do in the long run.

Actually, agencies will "assume" that's what the maid does. But they never really go ask the maid lor. My previous maid is more pious hence not eating. But in exchange, she was easy. At times when we really have not enough items for her (my ma believes in giving her at least 2 side dishes with rice), we will get her to fry an egg herself. She is also ok with instant noodles.

Hi Cactus_79,

Thanks! You've been a grear help. I will have to work around my schedule once I train her up since she is new with no experience. Am just keeping my fingers crossed that she is trainable with a good attitude
happy.gif

Hi,

My maid wp gg to expire on Apr 09, thinking renew her and she also wan so i increase her salary from 280 to 350. Nowadays new maid starting salary is from 320 she i must increase her more than 330 as she been working for me for 2yrs

OIC, i go online check is about 320-1000... when i saw the maid salary is 1000.. i was like, is she super maid or what... try my lunck to see if i can get 320 without offday a not... hee

Hi!

I hve a myanmar maid who is expiring soon. We are thinking of renewing her contract. She is not that fantastic. Good with housework, auto in doing housework though slow, poor in cooking and managing children but my mum will be the one cooking and look after my kid during the day. However, we are worried that the next maid may be worse off, thus thinking of sticking with this one. What do you think?

Hve checked with the agency and understand that we need to renew the work permit twice (that is, pay the costs two times) once is up to the passport expiry and the other is after the renewal of the passport. The agency also informs us that the employer need to pay for the renewal of passport which is around $300 plus and the maid to pay the taxes around $600 plus.

On top of that, there will be the usual payment of air tickets to and fro as well as renewal of insurance which is around $300.

The all-in-costs is more expensive than getting a new maid.

Pls let me know if these costs are the norm and does the employer has to pay everything including the passport. Do you need to get the agency to draft another contract for renewal?

Appreciate your advice on that. Many thks.

Hi Jesstch,

Mine is oso a myanmar maid and her contract is oso expiring in early May this yr, had checked with the agency that we had employ her from,
think basically all those that u list is deduct from the maid $$....

The maid need to pay for renewal of passport ($300) and taxes ($600++),what the employer needs to pay for renewal is the air-ticket to & fro Spore, insurance.

When is ur maid contract expiring ?

Hi Gracious Wife!

Mine will be expiring June this year. Yup, I also think that the maid should pay for her own passport just like when they first come. Strange that my agent told me that the employer should pay.

Will your agent be helping to draft out another contract for renewal or it is not necessary?

Do you also need to renew the work permit twice and the costs to be borne by the maid?

BTW, will your maid be taking home leave? Do we need to pay their salary during home leave? When they come back, do they need to do medical check-up again like when they first come to Singapore?

Sorry for so many queries as this is my first time renewing a maid and she is also my first maid so feel kinda lost.

BTW, how's your Myanmar maid?

Hi Jesstch,

Actually I am oso ku-ku one, this is my first time with my first maid, pai seh....just happen yesterday, i went down to agent to find out the details but they din really let out in details, kept asking me to let them handle and just pay a couple of hundreds... =(

Nope, there will be no contract for renewal, purely btw us n the maid based on trust

renew the work permit twice ? do u mean the renewal of her passport and the taxes ?

yes, my maid will be taking 1 mth home leave, we are not paying her for tat mth, she agreed. think they hve to do a check-up bah...need to check lei...

My Myanmar maid so far is fine with taking care of young children but her cooking sucks after so long w us, still need supervision =P

So how's your Myanmar maid?

Hi Gracious Wife!

My maid's passport will exp in 2010. So my agent told me that we have to extend the work permit to 2010 instead of the usual 2 years due to expiry date of the passport. After renewal of the passport, we will have to pay again to extend the work permit. Does yours work in this way too?

My maid is only good at doing housework, have initiative when come to housework. However, she is also weak in cooking and dunt really know how to pacify and take care of a kid. But my mum will be doing the cooking during the weekdays, so not a very big problem. At times, the maid will pull a long face out of no reason. We will just leave her alone loh. She is also quite defensive when errors are made and will give excuses. Sometimes, I am also wondering if I should renew her, just worried that the next one will be worse off and we also need to retrain again....sigh....do you face the same problems with your maid?

BTW, I am currently paying $320 for my maid and my agent said the market rate now is $350. Actually, I thought of increasing only to $340 only as my friends told me that the std increment is abt $20 and also because she is not that fantastic. How much will you be increasing your maid's salary to?

Hi,

Actually if u tink ur maid is good, why not increase her salary to $350? For me, my indo maid's contract is expirying soon, I actually proposed to increase her salary from $290 to $350 but she still insists on leaving!! She has been quite good during her stay here and she has already knows our 'pattern'. Now the new maid's salary is already $340 (Indo) and $360(Phils),if my maid is willing to stay, I dun mind paying her $350, since the new maid is also so expen and I dun even noe if the new one is good or not and have to re-train them again....

New maid now for Phil is $350 with one day off. My sis new Indo maid is $380 with no day off. Dunno why Indo more ex? Or is it cos we use different agency got diff rate?

But I give my Phil maid a $200 bonus if she completes her two-year contract to reward her to stay with us.

Jess, my maid came in June 07 with $330 plus one day off but I increased her salary bit by bit (sometimes $5 sometimes $10) so she is now $360 after less than 2 years with me. She is renewing her contract and I plan to start her on $380 with $200 bonus if she stays for 2 years. Good ones are hard to come by so I rather pay to get her loyalty. Sad lah but no choice cos my kids are still young (22 month and 7 month) so I need good help. I have 2 maids - old one very good new one blur - so also need to count on her to train the new maid.

Hi all mummies who had indonesia maid,

May i know whether your maid had passed experience in Hong Kong? Meaning after working in singapore then go hong kong to work then come back singapore again. Need advises on their experience and problem facing in Hong Kong and why then they decided to come back Singapore.

Anyone can share, either PM me or drop a message here.

Why I am asking is because my current maid was influence by other maid saying that hong kong maid salary is double in singapore, is that truth? This is my 2nd maid who say want to go hong kong, is that place really good for maid?

I am so upsad after hearing it from my maid this afternoon and was very moody. Currently pregnant with my third child and she said she is leaving after contract or if possible in sept 09. My EDD Oct 09 and she understands and will try to stay till after i give birth and finished her contract.

Any recommended advises to hold her back? She is taking care my 5 yrs gal and 2 yrs old boy. Bring my gal to school and home, cook for them to eat and simple household.

Hi all mummies with Indonesia maid,

Please share with me if you have encountered Indonesia Maid's problem.

I have so far 2 maid from Centra Java, very smart and hardworking. My first was sent back 20 days earily due to some issue with my own family.

Now, my second asking me to allow her go back earily of 3 months period. I believe is to go back for hari raya then having problem at her home town. Maid cannot be trusted as one moment say want to come back work for you and next she goes to hong kong to work. They never think carefully what they wants.

I have this maid reductant to work when she knew that I cant affort to sent home earily as i am going to Due soon. And she is so closed with my boy that Cant leave without her. She is behaving like a big boss now and I have to see her face to piece her for taking good care of my son. I have no strength to argue or to teach this maid what to do and do what. Basically, she do it her way. Loss control over her. Not even inform me of my son behaviour and illnesses till I asked.

so many more. aiya... thought that she will be with us for long but now, i hated seeing her kind of actitude and wanted me to sent her off without extending her contract. she is half hearted to stay or continuing.

Yes, the salary in Hong Kong is good.
They are getting about S$800+ with off day every week end.

My 5 years maid is also thinking of going to HK after her contract expired in early 2010. And the best part is Hong Kong loves to employ Singapore exMaid as they say the training received in Singapore is good.

Yah loh, I aggree. Singapore training is very good. But i heard from singapore agency that maid have to pay a fee of $4 k in order to go hong kong to work and with loan again, not sure is true or not. Loss.....

happyface
yes the salary in HK and Taiwan is double that of singapore. also the maid benefits are better too ie they have "normal working hours" e.g. 8-5pm and they usually do not stay in with the emplyer. So that means nights free to do things like shopping, go for classes etc.
I had a maid who was ex-Taiwan, drove me bonkers with her comparisons and in the end, i couldnt stand it so returned her to the agent.

Dunno is it true.
I hear my friend say although pay in HK is good, office working hour but because the maid does not stay with the employer they have to rental house outside themseleve also have to pay their own transportation to their employer house to work everyday. After minus off the rental n transportation expenses, den it is not much different liao cos in Singapore the maid get to pocket the whole salary unless they buy their own thing as we pay for their food and transport when they go out with us , also they stay in so save the rental.

thats true...
in HKG, maid has better salary and some will have to rent a place to stay. These maids will go to employers hse during day and back to their rented plc at night. Employers do not hv to pay levy also. but 1 disadvantage for them, if employer dun wan them, they are not allowed to be transferred.

hi all , i am a new bie.
Is there any way i can employ a temp maid for probably just year to help my MIL take care of the kid til he is 18 months then i will send him to childcare centre.

hi hi...can anyone share how much you are paying your indon maid? With the recent announcement on CNA about Indon maids being paid $450, I have been told by maid agencies that this is the going rate. I have been told that with this new announcement, many maids have requested to go back and when they return, they command a higher salary. I am facing this problem now. Can anyone please share?

the new maid now Indon or Filipino is $400+$30. For those completed contract and wants to continue there's no need to increase to this level to them. They are smart, if they go back and come again, although they get higher pay, but they need to have 6 mths loan, they are not stupid to do this.
At my place, there's a maid direct hired by employer, her salary only $300 and she knew her salary is lower but she's fine with it coz she got no loan to repay.
If HK or TW is really better and pay higher, tell them to go, no need to be scared, they'll choose SG coz SG has better working environment. Now even Arabia ban Filipino and Indon maid because their embassy demand unacceptable working conditions, so why worry? Let them go! The more we scare, the more they'll demand higher pay

GOOD SAY MUSICBOX! i m a victim of the maids' salary hike.my mum got her paid at $550, mine is $380. end up she left after comparing salary.first they wanted pay raise, now they want to mandate off days, what come next? Pls give us working mothers a BREAK!Are we not paying sufficient Levy? WHY ISNT OUR GOVENMENT VOICING OR STANDING UP FOR US?

Hey loveethan,
6 mths ago i hired my first maid agent told me salary increase, tat time was $360+$20, I treated the maid extremely good and gave her whatever freedom, but she still keep saying want to go HK to work, but when I hire her, no one from HK want to hire her so she come SG. She left after 4 mths working for me coz she stole my money, I treated her like family but she still stole my money! So I sent her home.
Anyway, the point I want to say here is, HOW BIG is HK? How many maid can they take? Yes, HK higher pay, but can they go HK? If we keep thinking we must increase the same pay to keep them for not going elsewhere, my question is, Europe is of higher pay, why don't everyone go Europe? Australia is of better working environment, why don't everyone go Australia? If pay is the only concern, are you telling me Malaysia can't hire maid coz their currency is lower?!
Btw, talking about the weekly off day, I urge all mummies write in to mom to voice out your concern, email below:
[email protected]
We need to voice out, if we keep silent, the weekly offday will be legislated!

Hi,

Can some one share with me how much the Filipino maid starting pay? Is there any guide line to follow? I received two different starting pay stated in the biodata from two different agency, 1 asking $480, another 1 asking for $450. The asking salary is really too high and we have to pay the levy too!

wow, is their salary this high now? From what I know, maid from different agency asking different salary. Mine just came last week was $400+30 only. You can call BestHome to ask.
Some agency purposely push up the salary so they can have higher fee from the maid.

Hi all mummies,

im going to hire a new maid as my current maid contract will end this month ; she had worked for 2 years, her first year is $350 salary with one off day every year. She is very good and did her job well so we decided to increase her pay to $400.

i went to my maid agency to get a new maid but they told me there is a pay hike this year for indon maid and they recommanded me one with salary $450+$20 if no off day (that is for the first 8 month when she need to repay the loan), i was very surprise by the high pay hike, the coming one had 8 yrs of experience in spore, does anyone have this experience??

when i asked around, i find that the maid salary that i will be going to pay is very high!!! i should have think/research more before commiting, now i feel that im conned...
sad.gif

Clarin,
Maybe you're paying for the 8 years experience in SG then? If she's experience then the price could be reasonable.
But for me I don't like those very very experienced as they're very good in exploiting and I see too many of them in my estate, teaching my new maid all the wrong thing.

Hi, All mummies,

I am very much affected by the topic of maid getting more pay and extra day off or one day off.......

I have 3 other maids who only work for me 2 years. Every one had different needs. They want this and want that, and while we treat them nice and good, they want more from us. They dont really believe in us but to believe in their own people. This is how i felt and my experience.

My 2nd maid want to go HK but then said want to come back SG. Reason being HongKong people once they dont like the maid they will sent them home. That is worst for the maid. Alternateive, they will do for place to go to repay their loan.

Then, now my 3rd maid also not bad, also got 3 hand during her first month. She treated my son very son and yet want to staydont to stay. Even if you increase them pay, she wont stay for you till she experience it herself who is good and who is bad.

INCREASE THEM SALARY IS A NO END. ..AS COMPARED TO SOME CHILD CARE SERVICE NOW STILL CHEAPER THAN A MAID. DONT YOU FEEL THAT?

Well, this time I may want to look of Philipino one, see how they work?

Oh ya! By the WAY, I AM ASKING FOR A 25 YRS OLD MAID.

My maid working for me after 8 months tell me that she is only 20 yrs old but state in her passport 23yrs old. (it really peace me off for some agency or indonesia lier)

Next .... salary is $330 with day off pay out inclusive in 2010 March..Then was $350-$360 salary higher for some agency and with one month one day off or pay out inclusive.

Just by few months, it increase to $380....another few months $400 with one week one day off.....it is a no end day off and increasement in salary.

Furthermore, one of the felmale MP talking of taking care of their salary...Isn' the MP service Singaporean or Maid???

IS THIS THE WAY THEY ARE PUSHING THE ECONOMIC UP???

Think of the LOWER INCOME and Slight Higer Average Income people...Please!

happyface,
Ya, understand. I do feel that the salary keep increasing and somehow i feel that it is pushed up by the agencies.
Btw 23 yrs old is a bit young to me. My first filipino is 26 i find her not settle down and not really interested in working. My second filipino is 35 and she's very hard working becoz she need the money to support her family.

Back