Maid

handsfull

Hi, I have just hired a Myanmar maid. Her salary per month is $550. We actually wanted her to take Sundays off as we are usually not at home. However, we were told by agent that she only wants one Sunday off and we have to pay her an additional $20 for each Sunday. Seems like as an employer we are not given a choice on this matter. I would like to check whether this is the case for others. Advise would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I don't think it's compulsory. If she prefers to stay at home then it's her choice. But you don't need to feel obliged to pay extra if u made it clear at the start that she can take every Sunday off.

Actually we were not informed by the agent about the $20 off day until the day we signed the agent contract. So we asked the agent to tell the maid that we prefer that she take off on Sunday. But the maid insisted we pay the $20 when she came to Singapore. So no choice but to pay since it is the law. I think we made a mistake that we signed the agent contract too hastily.

But from MOM, we have to give maid once in a week for off day. Unless we want her to work then we should pay daily basis. Check in the contract how is the payment term. If stated her salary is= $470+80 then you can bring this case to MOM. Because its very clear $470 is basic salary and $80 if 4 days not off.

The contract just states salary as $550 pm. But the contract states we need to pay extra $20 in lieu of sunday. We dun have young children & not at home on sundays so we are willing to let maid take off. But she insist that she only wants one Sunday off & pay her extra $60 or $80 pm.

Feels like you are being cheated by yr agent. Our Myanmar maid also only wants one sunday off a month so our agent put her salary as $490/mth + $60 (3 sundays) so her salary per month is $550.

The agent told us that $550 is the market rate for an experienced Myanmar maid so we were okay with it. But on the day of signing contract, we were surprised about the additional payment in lieu of Sunday. Perhaps if we knew about this earlier, we may have reconsidered taking this particular maid. But the agent told us that it is standard and if we don't want, there are other people waiting to take the maid. Actually I am not sure if we were cheated or not, but I guess we have learned some lessons from our experience.

handsfull, my maid is also from myanmar. i got from Silver Star Consulting at Peninsula Plaza. they mentioned experienced maid is 500. my maid was new 450. they told me rest day is 17.5 per sunday and they told about maid's preference during biodata selection and interview process. so i know total package before i choose new or experienced. we went with new as we want fresh mindset maid.you can contact them at 9222 2626. they are quite helpful in advising me with the girls' profiles.so far my maid is quite obedient and can follow my timetable. agent helped to translate for maid and explained to her.

Hi Everyone,
Just want to share and help this person to get money for her family

Part Time Maid,

Cleaning House and Office,

Available time:

First Shift 07AM-11AM

Second Shift 03PM-21PM

Susan

8431 3347(Call, Whatsapp, and SMS)

Rate Per hour $14

I don't think it's compulsory. If she prefers to stay at home then it's her choice. But you don't need to feel obliged to pay extra if u made it clear at the start that she can take every Sunday off.

Agreed, I don't think you are obliged to pay her for days she wants to stay home. Unless you require her to work on those Sundays, I don't think its fair that she demand to work more and you paying her more for the extra work you didn't request for.

I don't think you need to pay the maid for her off day.
Unless she's only have 1 off day, and you required her to work, then perhaps you need to pay her
But not paying her to go on off...

For myself, if I need my maid to work on her off day, I will ask/tell her nicely. Sometime she will work for free during her off day. Sometime I will just give her some allowance here and there. So give and take at times

I don't think you need to pay the maid for her off day.
Unless she's only have 1 off day, and you required her to work, then perhaps you need to pay her
But not paying her to go on off...

For myself, if I need my maid to work on her off day, I will ask/tell her nicely. Sometime she will work for free during her off day. Sometime I will just give her some allowance here and there. So give and take at times

I agree very much with Cindy that having a give and take relationship with your helper makes life much easier for both parties.

Back