IVF/ICSI Support Group

my wife had her FET (2nd try) early last week. This morning did a urine test at home and got a faint line. Went to the clinic this afternoon and did a blood test with beta hcg 180. Would it gradually increase every day? Is 180 a good figure for one week transfer?

what are her do and don't in term of movement and diet? Appreciate your advice!
Ya I think it's positive. It's so nice to get a thorn among the roses in this forum. I Should let my DH take part in this forum.. :p
Which hospital are ur wife with?

my wife had her FET (2nd try) early last week. This morning did a urine test at home and got a faint line. Went to the clinic this afternoon and did a blood test with beta hcg 180. Would it gradually increase every day? Is 180 a good figure for one week transfer?

congrats! the hcg numbers should double every 48-72 hours. tell your wife not to walk too much and not to carry heavy things. diet wise, no raw/half cooked foods including runny eggs. no stretching and no hot baths/using of heat packs on the tummy. my doctor's advice is to stay away from honey too, especially manuka honey because of the active enzymes.

I think when u have hcg of 16 in your blood, the embbie shud have implanted cos hcg only produced by body after implantation. Its just unfortunate that its not growing as it shud. Take ur time to recover to prepare for the nx step.
Dunno whats ur religion but one sifu once told me that if miscarriage, means the baby side is ready, but the mother side is not ready. Its not the perfect timing yet. So have faith! Its just a matter of time before he/she will come to you.
Ya, if 16 means did implant. Most dr will say reason of chemical preg most likely due to chromosome defect hence the preg did not grow further.

Come to think of it, if not for ivf, people won't go for blood test and they won't even know they did in fact have a chemical pregnancy cos the period will naturally come.

For my case, there wasn't even an implantation. So what could be the reason? Womb not conducive for implantation? What can do to increase the chances?

no harm asking!
Speaking of baby aspirin, i ve read a lot of good review regarding the usage of it especially from ppl who suffered from miscarriage previously. So, raffles will prescribe it to everyone doing ivf? Even my gynae who handled my miscarriage last time asked me to start on baby aspirin if i got pregnant the nx time.

In my 2ww, the first week I stayed at home and just watch dramas etc. Second week I go to work.
I ate confinement meals during the 2ww.
I ate golden kiwis, figs, raisins, brazil nuts (only 2 per day) and walnuts.
I drank only Longan red date tea, mineral water (a few bottles because I kept getting thirsty) and chlorophyll water.
Plus I listened to my IVF belief CD. You want to borrow the CD?

Hi spinsterella, i really love to borrow yr cd. May i?

And thanks for the tips.. all learning to be positive!!!

Speaking of baby aspirin, i ve read a lot of good review regarding the usage of it especially from ppl who suffered from miscarriage previously. So, raffles will prescribe it to everyone doing ivf? Even my gynae who handled my miscarriage last time asked me to start on baby aspirin if i got pregnant the nx time.

yes. my doctor actually said it's very important and warned me not to forget to take it every day (this was even before my FET)

What's baby aspirin? Recommended by your dr or u asked for it?

Hi Dreamscometrue.

I was also prescribed baby aspirin for the first time by my doc at Thomson starting on ET day. This is my 3rd fresh ICSI. They prescribed Cardiprin 100mg daily. It is supposed help thin the blood, prevent blood clots and hence enhance blood flow/ circulation. Scientific researches have been inconclusive of this benefit in IVF treatment but as it is taken in low dose and deemed harmless, many fertility clinics may prescribe it.

Hi fatherwannabe. Congratulations! Grabbing your baby dust :D
Sending warmth regards to your dear wife too.
Looks like you will be a really hands on dad.
I'm not there yet and many ladies here can advise better. There should be a scan in 2 weeks time and if in doubt, can always call your clinic for doc/ staff advice too.
Take care and wish both of you a smooth sailing preggo journey! :)

Hi belpzz

I am doing scan twice a week plus support jab also. I think is ok. I am 9 weeks now

Hi everyone! Expecting my first bb from my first IVF (ICSI) cycle! Am 5 weeks along today and feeling very blessed and excited especially cos I saw our little bean pop up super clearly in our early scan yesterday. Can't wait to see our little bean's heartbeat flicker across the screen in our next scan in 1.5 weeks! And thereafter, to find out the gender!

My doctor mentioned something which worried me yesterday though. She wants to do weekly scans for me! Is that normal for IVF pregnancies? It's very expensive to do weekly scans right? And I am not sure if weekly scans will cause harm to the bb? Can any experienced ivf mummies offer me some advice on this?

Baby dust to everyone! Infertility is SUCH a hard journey! (I had 2 failed IUIs before striking gold with IVF)

Yeay...
Thanks to all who's thinking and praying for me.
I rec'd the call much later than expected and composed myself before answering. When told of my result, my mind went blank then I asked "are you sure because my hpt this morning is a clear BFN".
Was assured that the result is accurate and that they have verified with Dr THH and he wants me to go back on Fri for a 2nd reading because of my continuous blood flow so he's rather concerned.
My beta is 73. Dr THH says this is an acceptable reading for 12dp2dt even though passing mark is 250.
However, the fact that I been having moderately heavy flow for 6 days already, I honestly don't know where this is going.
Regardless, I just want to say anything is really possible! I was feeling really gutted actually but I held on to the tiniest hope. This sounds very silly but I spoke to my embies daily. I told them to hang in there, to stay with me and don't give up.
Jiayou to all in 2WW. Sometimes miracles happened when u believe in them.
Yeay.... congrats darling... yes yes.. speak to the embies daily!!!

What's the purpose of baby aspirin?

Yes. It's funny that there's variation in practice. In fact i checked with Dr before my 2nd fresh and she said no need. I also didn't go for the briefing when i started my 3rd. Got to pay money right?
@HappyPeanuts did u queue very long like 3 mths for your 2nd/3rd fresh? Coz I am wondering if I fail this fet cycle dun noe can start my 2nd fresh in Oct or nov?

Thanks! Yes I did :) sigh i think i will try my best to stretch out my scans. seeing my little bean yesterday was really indescribable though :)

I am 33 this year. Tips wise, do an endo scratch the month before you do your IVF for sure. It's supposed to double the chances of implantation. I also did acupuncture just before and after my embryo transfer. Once again, it's supposed to double the chances of implantation. I did FET too which I believe helped a lot cos if I were to do a fresh transfer, my body wouldn't have had the time to recover from all the stims and the egg retrieval. I also took a 2 month break in between my egg retrieval and went on 3 holidays in 2 months. London, Malaysia and Hong Kong. I believe this helped a lot in making me a lot happier and more relaxed as well.

As for the period after my embryo transfer, I took 2 weeks off work to rest at home. I rested a LOT, ate very healthily, had a lot of avocados and about 5-6 brazil nuts every day :)

Oh and I also started taking baby aspirin about 2 weeks before my FET. I am still taking baby aspirin now that I am pregnant. It's supposed to improve blood flow to the uterus.

Good luck, hope everyone who's trying for a baby joins me soon!

Congrats on your pregnancy! I am gonna grab some baby dust from you :)

Are you also able to share what supplements or food you consumed to prepare yourself for the IVF cycle?

@HappyPeanuts did u queue very long like 3 mths for your 2nd/3rd fresh? Coz I am wondering if I fail this fet cycle dun noe can start my 2nd fresh in Oct or nov?

I did FET in May and fresh in Sept. No slot for Aug bcos they closed lab in June /july and has too many patients (i cant remember exactly ) . i guess you wd hve to start in Nov cos KKH does not give Dr's review so early after failed cycle.

What are the uses of baby aspirin? Should it come with a doctor's prescription?

Hi Pammm. It is supposed help thin the blood, prevent blood clots and hence enhance blood flow/ circulation, so support the uterus for implantation & sustaining the pregnancy thereafter. Scientific researches have been inconclusive of this benefit in IVF treatment but as it is taken in low dose and deemed harmless, many fertility clinics may prescribe it. As far as I'm aware, it comes with doc's prescription.

Hi fatherwannabe. Congratulations! Grabbing your baby dust :D
Sending warmth regards to your dear wife too.
Looks like you will be a really hands on dad.
I'm not there yet and many ladies here can advise better. There should be a scan in 2 weeks time and if in doubt, can always call your clinic for doc/ staff advice too.
Take care and wish both of you a smooth sailing preggo journey! :)

Thanks for the well wishes. Wishing you and all, smooth journey too.

I see. Usually at which stage of the IVF cycle will this be prescribed? So far, the doc prescribed to me norethisterone and amoxil.

Hi congrats! Grabbing yr baby dust. Is your 1st fresh with prof ng too?

Hi connie_hopeful. Just read this older post from you.

Can share your age if you dun mind? You seem to have good egg reserve and respond well just need to address quality? Not sure of the reason why you switch from first doc. If you want to continue at KKH, Dr Tan HH has been highly recommended from ladies in this forum.
If you can consider private, my recommendation would be Dr Loh SF at TFC.

The stims protocol is very much dependent on the doc's expertise. why would we need them if it is up to us to decide what, when and dosage of the meds. I would ask Dr Loh purpose of the specific drug and why change etc and he always explain logically. Also from my experience, I never had LH suppressing jab starting on day 2 but really only the doc knows best.

If you do settle with a doc you are comfortable with, I would follow-through the journey with that doc. Having first hand knowledge of your response from previous cycles is very key for the doc to work his magic based on his experience to customise the stims protocol which is one very key factor in optimising egg quantity and quality.

It's hard and it takes a lot of courage to go on yet perseverance is needed in this journey. I hope you don't give up and wish all the best for you.
Dear dawnbb,sorry for e late reply. Been busy with family matters. I am 38 n hubby is 41.

My first fresh was actuali with sincere prof sc ng. Before we settle with sincere,i actuali went to thomson andrology lab for sa test. They refer me to dr loh. But i went to prof ng instead as my friend who had try ivf 7 times bfp with prof ng on her 7th try.

We actuali took sometime to explore on 2nd doc before settle down with kkh. I didnt go with tanhh as i have no affinity with him. (I went 2 consultation with him and even did polyp removal with him but he makes me stress. As he ask me if no sperms on or day,how?tot this question should not ask patients..he should tell me how).
I went kkh for 2nd try as it was subsidised n we were told our chances of conception is very challenging. I also went to sf loh for advise,but didnt choose him due to cost and also i understand he do day 2 transfer,i prefer to have my eggs eliminated at day 3,as for my case,e embryos quality is not so good seen after day 3 onwards. As for egg reserve,my afc was no good according to dr loh. Afc 5. But strangly my amh value reads good. And i alwayd manage to yield 10 eggs ago with 300iu simulation. 3 gynae i met dianorse our failure as extremly poor soldier quality to form a viable pregnancy. Recent 1 at kkh diagnois as old eggs. Maybi i am getting old too. Prof ng even told me my miscarriage rate is gigh compare to others due to genetically poor soldiers.

So right now,i am sitting on fence. I scared e 3rd try results. N e money to put in

I applaud yr positive attitude. Its not easy to stand up to do it again n again,esp when doc tell you chances are low-90% failure. Esp when there is non to freeze. 2 gynes say we Can give up after 2 tries for our case to consider donar sperm. We went for a sa test last week n till now,clinic dun bother to call us yet. Maybi we are reali hopeless case.

I must learn from you. Jiayou jiayou! How i wish 1 day,maricles do happen to me like wat i read in e forum,and we can succeed. All e best to you!

Sorry all for e long post.

Last edited:
Dear dawnbb,sorry for e late reply. Been busy with family matters. I am 38 n hubby is 41.

My first fresh was actuali with sincere prof sc ng. Before we settle with sincere,i actuali went to thomson andrology lab for sa test. They refer me to dr loh. But i went to prof ng instead as my friend who had try ivf 7 times bfp with prof ng on her 7th try.

We actuali took sometime to explore on 2nd doc before settle down with kkh. I didnt go with tanhh as i have no affinity with him. (I went 2 consultation with him and even did polyp removal with him but he makes me stress. As he ask me if no sperms on or day,how?tot this question should not ask patients..he should tell me how).
I went kkh for 2nd try as it was subsidised n we were told our chances of conception is very challenging. I also went to sf loh for advise,but didnt choose him due to cost and also i understand he do day 2 transfer,i prefer to have my eggs eliminated at day 3,as for my case,e embryos quality is not so good seen after day 3 onwards. As for egg reserve,my afc was no good according to dr loh. Afc 5. But strangly my amh value reads good. And i alwayd manage to yield 10 eggs ago with 300iu simulation. 3 gynae i met dianorse our failure as extremly poor soldier quality to form a viable pregnancy. Recent 1 at kkh diagnois as old eggs. Maybi i am getting old too. Prof ng even told me my miscarriage rate is gigh compare to others due to genetically poor soldiers.

So right now,i am sitting on fence. I scared e 3rd try results. N e money to put in

I applaud yr positive attitude. Its not easy to stand up to do it again n again,esp when doc tell you chances are low-90% failure. Esp when there is non to freeze. 2 gynes say we Can give up after 2 tries for our case to consider donar sperm. We went for a sa test last week n till now,clinic dun bother to call us yet. Maybi we are reali hopeless case.

I must learn from you. Jiayou jiayou! How i wish 1 day,maricles do happen to me like wat i read in e forum,and we can succeed. All e best to you!

Sorry all for e long post.
Maybe get ur hubby to try tcm first before 3rd try?

Where can I request for aspirin? I went o&g last night but they din give me anything. They know everything about recurring mc.

Where can I request for aspirin? I went o&g last night but they din give me anything. They know everything about recurring mc.
I think we can get cardiprin (baby aspirin 100 mg) from watson and guardian off the shelves. But i would advise to consult doctor first before taking it.

@Bbelieve do u have any symptoms so far? I keep having on n off af cramps n backache. Seem like af cuming. Got a bad feeling. Haiz...
Me too! No symptoms apart from feeling hot. My mother in law even commented that first time she see me sweat. Haha. But i know thats the effect of progesterone. So dont bother about it. Shake off ur bad feeling now cos we not supposed to attract negative vibes now! Positive!! Did have some af cramp these few days too. But i try not to think about it. Pray pray our embbies have already found a cozy spot and grow.

Maybe get ur hubby to try tcm first before 3rd try?
He tried 3 tcm

1st tcm - yu ren sheng -test sa . Results worse
2nd tcm - tan kian sing. I feel that seems better with acupunture as his hands seems warmer(no sa test done) but stop as clementi too far from workplace tampines n hubby cant sleep with tan kian sing medicine. He was wide awake eating e pao seng pills ;p also hubby dun believe in tks as he says he prescribe same medicine to all men.
3rd tcm -tan siew buoy -no avail. Initially ok but later e sa ejaculate seems bad. He gave up as he too busy with work to go to her appt on time. By e time he knock off,she is close.

I joke with him says maybe 2 of us should quit and become farmers in australia or new zealand. Focus on ttc. Hahaha. Sometimes i feel his work is killing him. Work till 9pm knock off. Come back home work till 12pm. Next day wake up 630am.

Last edited:
Me too! No symptoms apart from feeling hot. My mother in law even commented that first time she see me sweat. Haha. But i know thats the effect of progesterone. So dont bother about it. Shake off ur bad feeling now cos we not supposed to attract negative vibes now! Positive!! Did have some af cramp these few days too. But i try not to think about it. Pray pray our embbies have already found a cozy spot and grow.

Hi ladies....

Just wish to share n give some encouragement for some good sign during the 2ww.... but of cos diff ppl react diff......

Cramping dun necessary mean a bad sign as I asked d nurse n she said is cos uterus is expending slightly for d embryo is attaching to it...

Body temperature will raise slightly...n very slight brownish discharge during 2ww wait...

I understand the stress and anxiety we have to go thro (personally my dad was sick during my ivf process n during d 2ww wait he passed away)...101 things we worry (embryo quality ...scare dun get implatation after that thro 1st trimester & etc)...

Give urself a pat n say to urself ..u have try ur best thro out the process n leave the rest to God...

Keeping everyone in my prayer....*jiayou**

Hello littlemonkies, glad this is useful for you.
Haiyo, 10 seems too much and you may get too grossed out to continue next day. Maybe 8 should be good and you can start to ensure at least 6 egg whites starting tomorrow. I always have my egg whites cooked to 70-80% in boiled (not boiling) water. At this rate, the whites are cooked till white (nothing raw transparent runny) but still soft and the egg yolk is cooked, still bit soft inside. I take 2 whole eggs and the rest just egg whites. I don't always eat the egg whites on its own but take them as side dish with my rice or congee in a meal.

You won't believe this. I do not like avocado at all have tried to find ways to take it. Worst is have to take raw, sigh. My current daily fix is part of my breakfast.

Mix together:
1 quarter avocado, diced small cubes (I prepare diced whole avocado and store them in the fridge mixed with chopped spring onions)
Half slice of cheese, cut into small cubes (i just use Devondale original sliced cheese) -sometime replace with naturally dried fruits if I have
Pinch of finely chopped garlic (optional)
About 1 tsp of finely chopped sweet basil (organically grown by my parents, if available)
1 or 2 brazil nuts, 2 walnuts, 2-4 almonds (smashed or roughly chopped)
Half or 1 tsp of organic balsamic vinegar
Season with bit of salt and pepper to your preference

I can eat this on its own or as topping on water table crackers with my daily 2 whole eggs for breakfast. It helps me to cover the needed avocado and nuts intake recommended to support implantation.

All the best to you! One step at a time ya. Wish you a smooth sailing ER tomorrow.

Turned out I talk big only... 6 eggs already make me feel like chucking up hahaha! Hopefully 6 does the trick! Fighting Fighting!!!

Hi ladies....

Just wish to share n give some encouragement for some good sign during the 2ww.... but of cos diff ppl react diff......

Cramping dun necessary mean a bad sign as I asked d nurse n she said is cos uterus is expending slightly for d embryo is attaching to it...

Body temperature will raise slightly...n very slight brownish discharge during 2ww wait...

I understand the stress and anxiety we have to go thro (personally my dad was sick during my ivf process n during d 2ww wait he passed away)...101 things we worry (embryo quality ...scare dun get implatation after that thro 1st trimester & etc)...

Give urself a pat n say to urself ..u have try ur best thro out the process n leave the rest to God...

Keeping everyone in my prayer....*jiayou**

on a totally separate issue... I love your nick lol

Congrats koirc!!! Grabbing some baby dust from you!

If i remembered correctly, you were here too in this same forum in 2012/13! My son is a Feb 2013 baby!!

Anyway had my 1st scan today for my frozen cycle. Lining all good as said by doc. So am gonna test for ovulation tomrw & thurs. My first time using an opk, very nervous. Im only at my CD8 today & am having backaches & mild crampings.

Hi sisters,

I decided to share about my IVF journey and what I did to prepare myself in the previous cycle where I got pregnant. And also in this cycle even though it is still early to tell if this pregnancy is viable.

When I first embarked on this arduous journey in 2010, I was very anxious. My mind only has one goal and that is to get pregnant. I gave myself undue pressure because I wanted to get pregnant so badly that failure is not an option. Alas I didn’t have much luck in my first fresh cycle. I was tested BFP for FET but the joy lasted only for a few days… AF reported and I was told it was a chemical pregnancy. I can’t tell you how devastated I was. It was like heaven playing a joke on me and I was very upset. I rested for a few months and started my 2nd fresh cycle. I carried the same emotions with me – anxious and determined to get pregnant. Well, it didn’t happen. Succeeded on FET but had a miscarriage at week 11 – fetal heartbeat was irregular when I went for scan in week 8 so I was more or less prepared. I remembered keeping my composure in the doctor’s clinic when she told me the news. Actually before she entered, I saw my medical record and the words “No heartbeat”. I did a D&C to remove the fetal tissue and test to see what was wrong with the fetus. It was Trisomy 15,18 whatever that is.

I did a mini confinement and also juma massage to shrink my uterus back. I rested again for a few months build up my body by ensuring I take tonics, supplements and balanced diet… whatever I think will help me. I started 3rd fresh cycle in 2012 and did not succeed. By then I have used up the Govt co-funding and before I embarked on FET, I told myself it will be my LAST try. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t then it will just be the two of us – my hubby and me. I also become a little more diligent in making sure I try my best in helping myself. So I started regular body massage and acupuncture 3 months before FET. I took Chinese medicine to warm my womb. I think with my mind a little more relaxed helped. I actually did not take the HL and went back to work just a few days after ET because the past few times where I took the 14 days, my mind was just filled with anxiety and doubts. So surprised, I got pregnant and delivered my son in March 2013.

My son is two years old now and I decided to give him a sibling. Maybe because I had a win before, I am more relaxed this time. However, I also made sure I help myself. I am actually more kiasu this time… maybe because no more co-funding and it is going to cost me about $15K! Haha… So 3 months before I start, I actually did a juice cleansing detox and changed my diet. I had salad and light stuff like bee hoon soup most days. I also took Royal Jelly Bee Pollen in the morning, conception tea for morning and afternoon break, walnuts & brazil nuts for snacks. I cut down on pork and beef and took fish and chicken instead. I also have avocados and salmon regularly for good fats. I shared this in an earlier post. I also did acupuncture 2 months before the start of the cycle. I did a lot of things differently this time especially on diet so I cannot pinpoint what is my success factor. I am surprised I have an BFP today because based on my records, doctor had told me I did better in FET so I wasn’t pining much hope. Perhaps it was this that helped me not to give myself too much pressure and keep a free spirit that helped me succeed. I don’t know.

Going through so many rounds I realized one thing – don’t give yourself too much stress. These two times, I came back to work after 2 days rest because staying at home doesn’t help me at all. I tend to think more negatively when I am home cos I had nothing much to do. I hope to encourage the sisters here by sharing a positive story. I know it is a very tough journey and I am glad we have the Forum sisters for support. Let's all jiayou! xx

Hi belpzz

I am doing scan twice a week plus support jab also. I think is ok. I am 9 weeks now

twice a week! ok maybe once a week isn't so bad. haha. congrats on your pregnancy! you are almost crossing into your 2nd trimester!

Congrats on your pregnancy! I am gonna grab some baby dust from you :)

Are you also able to share what supplements or food you consumed to prepare yourself for the IVF cycle?

thanks! honestly, i didn't really consume any special foods to prepare myself for my FET. even had a few glasses of wine a couple of days before my FET. I did cut out caffeine for a couple of weeks prior to my FET though. Supplements wise I just took prenatal supplements which I bought from GNC.

What are the uses of baby aspirin? Should it come with a doctor's prescription?

It improves blood flow to the uterus. Yes, it's best to check with your doctor.

@belpzz , can i know if your doc prescribed you cardiprin? Or its other brand?

For the baby aspirin? The one I am taking is Glyprin.

He tried 3 tcm

2nd tcm - tan kian sing. I feel that seems better with acupunture as his hands seems warmer(no sa test done) but stop as clementi too far from workplace tampines n hubby cant sleep with tan kian sing medicine. He was wide awake eating e pao seng pills ;p also hubby dun believe in tks as he says he prescribe same medicine to all men.
3rd tcm -tan siew buoy -no avail. Initially ok but later e sa ejaculate seems bad. He gave up as he too busy with work to go to her appt on time. By e time he knock off,she is close.

I joke with him says maybe 2 of us should quit and become farmers in australia or new zealand. Focus on ttc. Hahaha. Sometimes i feel his work is killing him. Work till 9pm knock off. Come back home work till 12pm. Next day wake up 630am.
Indeed stress does affect quality of sperms and eggs

He tried 3 tcm

Hi Connie,

How about giving Raffles TCM a try? Dr Zhao is not bad and experienced in infertility treatment. It's kind of expensive as compared to other TCM (approx $100 per session) but I love the environment and short waiting time. They are open on Saturdays as well. Good for busy ppl like us.

Back