IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hi I was under subsidised patient at kkh too and first saw dr Sheila Loh. Thereafter everythg was done by Doctors on duties, including ET and ER. I only got to know my case was transferred to a consultant ranking doc on the day of ER. Getting dr Jerry Chan is still kinda lucky as he is one of the senior consultant and has experience. U would probably be Seen by another doctor for review following the failed cycle.. I felt skills and advice r vital so I switched to priv patient and chose to be under dr Tan hh
Hi Hopeful,

can I just check how to switch to private patient in order to choose the doctor? Just go to the counter and said that I want to switch to private patient and change to the doctor that I want?

Thanks?

Hi Goingcircles,
Did you see Jerry Chan for consultation as well as doing the FET?

Yap I'm seeing him for both consultation & the transferring. So far for my FET I only seen him twice for consultation before my transfer. First time is my first consultation, He trquested an US Sonohysterography to be done before my FET from there we communicated through emails on when I'm suppose to start my FET. After that, I see him the 2nd time for my US Sonohysterography results & whether to go for natural or medicated FET. Then my 3rd time seeing him is my transfer day.
Perhaps for fresh cycle you will get to see him more often I guess.

Last edited:
Yap I'm seeing him for both consultation & the transferring. So far for my FET I only seen him twice for consultation before my transfer. First time is my first consultation, He trquested an US Sonohysterography to be done before my FET from there we communicated through emails on when I'm suppose to start my FET. After that, I see him the 2nd time for my US Sonohysterography results & whether to go for natural or medicated FET. Then my 3rd time seeing him is my transfer day.
Which day of e menses cycle is the us sonohystroscopy done?

Hi Hopeful,

can I just check how to switch to private patient in order to choose the doctor? Just go to the counter and said that I want to switch to private patient and change to the doctor that I want?

Thanks?
Hi

U may call kk Ivf tell them u want to switch to from subsidised to priv patient. They will remind u once u switch u got to get referral letter from poly if U want to go back to subsidised patient. Then they will remind u charges for priv patient differs and are higher than subsidised patients. Tell them the doctor u want to be under and they will allocate the earliest available slot for review with the doctor u choose. Just to highlight u cannot see doctor under subsidised rate then switch to priv for the Programme. They will need u to review with the doctor u choose under priv rate prior to the doctor telling u the next steps, whether to do lap or do fet or do fresh etc. Then the charges are according to the ranking of the doctor u choose, senior Consultants being the most costly

@DawnBB I didn't realise this about ICSI from TFC. I'm probably beginning to think that it also could be different views/methods that govt hospitals and private ivf centres would adopt. But it is definitely a very informative insight. I'm going to sign my ivf consent next week and meet up with my gynae. I will enquire more with her about the whole procedure she intends to do for me.

Hi Grace. At TFC, the default insemination method is ICSI for all patients. This is based on better results from ICSI and enables minimal wastage of eggs. In addition, today's ICSI techniques are advance such that there is no sugnificant difference between viable live births from ICSI'd vs natural Ivf embryos.
The only exception where the embryologist will suggest natural is when there is a very high number of eggs retrieved and husband's sperms are excellent. Even then, TFC's practice is to suggest only certain number of eggs for natural while the rest to be ICSI as the fertilisation rate under natural Ivf can be very disappointing and beyond control. They will only proceed with such suggestion provided doctor's and patient's agreement. Think there will be additional contract or indemnity to sign for natural Ivf due to higher risk of zero fertilisation. There is no difference in charges whether ICSI or natural Ivf for TFC's package.

Which day of e menses cycle is the us sonohystroscopy done?

Hi @connie_hopeful, the test is best performed as the period finishes, day 7-10 of menstrual cycle (for mine is at day 10 from your menses) & your menses is fully cleared. You have to call the diagnostic imaging department upon your 1st day menses. So it is best to arrange your appointment according to the period dates.

Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS) is a test where a small volume of saline (salt solution) is inserted into the uterus (or womb). This allows the lining of the uterus (endometrium) to be clearly seen on an ultrasound scan. It is also known as a Saline Ultrasound Uterine scan.

SIS helps to see if there is any thickening of the endometrium of the uterus, or if there are polyps, fibroids or possible Asherman’s Syndrome (a condition caused by the presence of scars in the uterine cavity).

The entire procedure usually takes about 20- 30 minutes. You may feel abit uncomfortable during the process. There may be slight cramp experience when the saline solution is injected.

After the test there is a small trickle of fluid from the vagina. This is the saline fluid coming out. There may be slight blood stained. So a sanitary pad is given after the scan. The stained should not continue for 24 hours after the test.

Most people feel normal after the test with no after effects. Some people may have some pelvic discomfort (like a mild period pain) but this settles after a few minutes up to perhaps an hour or so.

Last edited:
Hi @connie_hopeful, the test is best performed as the period finishes, day 7-10 of menstrual cycle (for mine is at day 10 from your menses) & your menses is fully cleared. You have to call the diagnostic imaging department upon your 1st day menses. So it is best to arrange your appointment according to the period dates.

Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS) is a test where a small volume of saline (salt solution) is inserted into the uterus (or womb). This allows the lining of the uterus (endometrium) to be clearly seen on an ultrasound scan. It is also known as a Saline Ultrasound Uterine scan.

SIS helps to see if there is any thickening of the endometrium of the uterus, or if there are polyps, fibroids or possible Asherman’s Syndrome (a condition caused by the presence of scars in the uterine cavity).

The entire procedure usually takes about 20- 30 minutes. You may feel abit uncomfortable during the process. There may be slight cramp experience when the saline solution is injected.

After the test there is a small trickle of fluid from the vagina. This is the saline fluid coming out. There may be slight blood stained. So a sanitary pad is given after the scan. The stained should not continue for 24 hours after the test.

Most people feel normal after the test with no after effects. Some people may have some pelvic discomfort (like a mild period pain) but this settles after a few minutes up to perhaps an hour or so.
Hi goingcircles,thanks. After yr explanation, I recalled that i have done this before le.
Its a ok process. Not scary

Hihi,

I would like to know how long we will know the result after BT? its on the spot will know the HCG or need the centre to call us back after few hours? Thanks !

Hi everyone.

My last post was 2 years ago when I did my first fresh. Bfp but had to go for an abortion.

Did my second fresh. I'm now in my 2ww. BT next Friday. Cramps all the way unlike the first one where there was no symptoms. The wait is agonizing....

Hi Furries, hope u dun mind. How come first fresh need to abort?

Hi ladies, just wanna say thanks to you all for being on this forum, it has given me lots of info and support. I'm on my first ivf cycle, reason why is probably what many of us faces, on short protocol didn't respond too well, 9 eggs retrieved 4 fertilized and today is d1. Going for fresh ET on d5. Hoping there's something to freeze after that. Question now that bugs me is 1 or 2 embryo transfer? how do you ladies rationalize this decision?

Hi ladies, just wanna say thanks to you all for being on this forum, it has given me lots of info and support. I'm on my first ivf cycle, reason why is probably what many of us faces, on short protocol didn't respond too well, 9 eggs retrieved 4 fertilized and today is d1. Going for fresh ET on d5. Hoping there's something to freeze after that. Question now that bugs me is 1 or 2 embryo transfer? how do you ladies rationalize this decision?
Actually if it's d5, and it's your first Ivf and if you are not in advanced age, doc usually will suggest transfer 1 d5 blastocyst. Becoz d5 has higher rate of implantation success as well as splitting into two, means twins esp if you are young. Have to weigh against risk of multiples pregnancy. If you have been through repeated failed cycles and you are in advanced age group, doc may suggest to transfer up to the max number allowed by SG law, ie. 3 cleavage stage day 2 or 3 embryos or 2 blastocysts.
Stay positive! All the best!

Hi

U may call kk Ivf tell them u want to switch to from subsidised to priv patient. They will remind u once u switch u got to get referral letter from poly if U want to go back to subsidised patient. Then they will remind u charges for priv patient differs and are higher than subsidised patients. Tell them the doctor u want to be under and they will allocate the earliest available slot for review with the doctor u choose. Just to highlight u cannot see doctor under subsidised rate then switch to priv for the Programme. They will need u to review with the doctor u choose under priv rate prior to the doctor telling u the next steps, whether to do lap or do fet or do fresh etc. Then the charges are according to the ranking of the doctor u choose, senior Consultants being the most costly

Hi Hopeful,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I just completed my fresh last month, so I'm waiting for review and to go thro FET. Meaning there is no way I can choose to switch to be a private patient instead and choose my own doc? I was still thinking to switch when I go back for my review on Monday. Feel kinda lost now.

Is the US Sonohysterography compulsory prior to FET? This is the time I hear about this new lab test and it actually takes 20-30mins? though it is not painful, but it just feels like forever. Guess I will also hv to do this test soon.......

Actually if it's d5, and it's your first Ivf and if you are not in advanced age, doc usually will suggest transfer 1 d5 blastocyst. Becoz d5 has higher rate of implantation success as well as splitting into two, means twins esp if you are young. Have to weigh against risk of multiples pregnancy. If you have been through repeated failed cycles and you are in advanced age group, doc may suggest to transfer up to the max number allowed by SG law, ie. 3 cleavage stage day 2 or 3 embryos or 2 blastocysts.
Stay positive! All the best!
Thanks v m @DawnBB you're an inspiration

Hi can I know from time of SIS to your FET, how long is that? Also why did your doc suggest you do SIS? I also have polyps and had polyps removal twice. Seen 2 docs and they seem to be giving differing opinion whether polyps is growing back again. Wonder if I should request for this to be done too.

Hi Hopeful,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I just completed my fresh last month, so I'm waiting for review and to go thro FET. Meaning there is no way I can choose to switch to be a private patient instead and choose my own doc? I was still thinking to switch when I go back for my review on Monday. Feel kinda lost now.
Hi u can call in and switch.meaning u give up ur current appointment on Monday and opt to switch to priv and get a later slot with the doctor of your choice since your up coming review is already on Monday. After I failed my first fresh I Aso called in to switch to priv patient and got a slot to see dr Tan Hh, like 2-4weeks down the road. And that was when he asked if I wana do fet or do laparoscopy

Last edited:
Is the US Sonohysterography compulsory prior to FET? This is the time I hear about this new lab test and it actually takes 20-30mins? though it is not painful, but it just feels like forever. Guess I will also hv to do this test soon.......

Hi @jenlam15, I think it depends on your fertility doc as US Sonohysterography is not compulsory. The reason he ordered me to do is I have history of endometriosis & fibroids years ago (did 2 surgeries in 2009 & 2011 respectively). Plus my last ivf (2nd fresh cycle) is 2 years ago. It can determine if you can go for natural or medicated FET depending on your condition.

Hi can I know from time of SIS to your FET, how long is that? Also why did your doc suggest you do SIS? I also have polyps and had polyps removal twice. Seen 2 docs and they seem to be giving differing opinion whether polyps is growing back again. Wonder if I should request for this to be done too.

Hi @Celestialbaby, I did my SIS on 20th Nov 2015 & did my medicated FET (transfer day) on 29 Dec 2015. Perhaps you can ask your doc if its necessary for your case. For my case I have history of endometriosis & fibroids and I did 2 surgeries to remove them in 2009 & 2011 respectively. And reason to do a SIS is to access the suitability to undergo ivf/FET and also to find out if there is any abnormal findings in your uterine lining.

Meaning to say Dr Tan HH will nv be the doctor on duty to perform on subsidized patients since he's appointment is so full? Gosh, there's no hard and fast rule and it is trial and error. Am quite lost though the major concern is not on finance but my thoughts is 'Will changing to just doctor' help me?

Meaning to say Dr Tan HH will nv be the doctor on duty to perform on subsidized patients since he's appointment is so full? Gosh, there's no hard and fast rule and it is trial and error. Am quite lost though the major concern is not on finance but my thoughts is 'Will changing to just doctor' help me?
Yup, cos he has a huge pool of private patients. Most likely you will be assigned to Dr Jerry Chan. Well, THH is known to have many successful cases in his belt.

Hi @jenlam15, I'm not sure if changing doctors will help in your case but it really depends I think. Just to share my experiences as an subsidy patient in KKH. I got dr THH to do my retrieval & transfer for my first fresh cycle as an subsidy patient in 2012. But the consulting doc for the med, dosage is injections, etc is dr Veronique (a black lady). However, during my egg retrieval day dr THH last min go for course or on seminar. Dr Matthew Lau replaced him to do my retrieval & transfer. But sadly that cycle failed. Subsequently, for my 2nd fresh cycle, same doctors, Dr Veronique as fertility consultant & Dr Matthew Lau to retrieve & do my transfer & I got a bfp.

For my recent FET I need to go take referral letter from polyclinic again as I exceeded the 2 years time frame as an ivf patient. Think dr Veronique no longer with KKH while dr Matthew lau is on 2 years long leave. This time round I got dr Jerry Chan as my fertility doc as well as to do my transfer but sadly my FET failed. Will be seeing him in end feb to see what causes my cycle to fail & to plan my next fresh cycle.

I can't conclude if he's good as he's quite "si wen" & soft spoken. Hear from my friend dr Jerry chan is dr SF Loh's 徒弟 (don't know true anot) as she's seeing dr SF Loh at TMC as a private patient. But during her pregnancy, she got bleeding due placenta previa at week 30 or so & dr SF Loh referred her to dr Jerry chan at KKH due to her condition plus medical fees as private rates at TMC. Dr Jerry chan delivered for her as a subsidy patient in KKH. I got another friend who got a bfp with Jerry Chan for her first fresh ivf cycle in 2013 & gave birth to healthy baby girl with no complications last Aug.

In my opinion, this ivf thingy really have to depend on luck, 天时地利人和 to succeed as there is no 100% guarantee. So to me, I'm ok with the docs assigned to me as an subsidy patient. I believed the docs in KKH are all experience & well trained as only experienced & senior docs are allow to do the retrieval & transfer. Of coz if financially permits, to choose a reliable doc that is highly recommended with good reviews & you feel comfortable with will be a bonus in your ivf process. Everybody wishes for success in ivf. Follow your heart on the dr of your choice. Sorry for my long winded post. :D

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone experienced the same thing before..

Today is the day 8 of my cycle and I'm still having fresh blood menses.. Not heavy menses, can use panty liner but it's not like my usual cycle. Only after the failed IVF then I experienced almost 10 days of period. My normal cycle should clear by day 6.

The only thing which happen this cycle is, I started seeing dr zou for acupuncture and her meds plus I'm on mercilon to prepare for my medicated FET in March.

Dr Zou told me to start taking her pre ovulation meds yesterday but I did not as my period isn't even over.. And she knows abt it.

Anyone can advise something?

Hi all,

I would like to check if anyone still go for facial during the TWW? I mean before we go for BT. Is it ok? Hope someone can advise please. Thanks!

Hi Furries, hope u dun mind. How come first fresh need to abort?

Hi Melody

My first fresh cycle was full of surprises.

My blood test after 2ww came back positive but hcg detected was low, below 90. Was told to come back in two days time. It went up to 200s which was a relief. Went for a scheduled scan a few weeks later but couldn't find anything. Again, took BT. It went up. Went for another scan a week later but still couldn't find it. I was with Dr Matthew Lau back then and he couldn't find it also. Went for another blood test. It went up. By this time I was having symptoms of pregnancy. Nauseous and all.

Then one night, I was rudely awaken by a sudden gush of liquid coming out from my vagina. Rush to the toilet and was bleeding non stop. Came out liver-like blood clot. I wasn't in any pain. Went to o&g at kkh. I was still bleeding alot. Again, another BT. Hcg was still up but couldn't find anything.

Went for a second opinion at Parkway East. Doctor also couldn't find anything. Hcg still up. She made an appointment for me to see Dr Jerry Chan at kkh which I did the very next day.

Sadly, he couldn't find it too. Hcg was normal but no baby found. I wasn't in any pain at all. As I had c-section for my first born, doctor said it could be ectopic, growing at the c-section scar.

I was tired, traumatized and did what I thought was best for my health. I went for a d&c that very same day as doctor said it was an emergency.

It wasn't at my scar. I was upset. It was there all along. Scan just couldn't see it. Everything was a blur. Maybe the baby was not meant to be.

Hi Melody

My first fresh cycle was full of surprises.

My blood test after 2ww came back positive but hcg detected was low, below 90. Was told to come back in two days time. It went up to 200s which was a relief. Went for a scheduled scan a few weeks later but couldn't find anything. Again, took BT. It went up. Went for another scan a week later but still couldn't find it. I was with Dr Matthew Lau back then and he couldn't find it also. Went for another blood test. It went up. By this time I was having symptoms of pregnancy. Nauseous and all.

Then one night, I was rudely awaken by a sudden gush of liquid coming out from my vagina. Rush to the toilet and was bleeding non stop. Came out liver-like blood clot. I wasn't in any pain. Went to o&g at kkh. I was still bleeding alot. Again, another BT. Hcg was still up but couldn't find anything.

Went for a second opinion at Parkway East. Doctor also couldn't find anything. Hcg still up. She made an appointment for me to see Dr Jerry Chan at kkh which I did the very next day.

Sadly, he couldn't find it too. Hcg was normal but no baby found. I wasn't in any pain at all. As I had c-section for my first born, doctor said it could be ectopic, growing at the c-section scar.

I was tired, traumatized and did what I thought was best for my health. I went for a d&c that very same day as doctor said it was an emergency.

It wasn't at my scar. I was upset. It was there all along. Scan just couldn't see it. Everything was a blur. Maybe the baby was not meant to be.
U mean it was in your womb but none of the gynae detected it?

Back