IVF-FET Support Group

Mylollipopdays

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a duplicate but I was looking at the list of forums and there isn't any for couples undergoing FET (Frozen Embryo Transplants). Thought it'll be a good idea to start one so that couples undergoing FET in Singapore can share our experiences and be a source of support for one another!

Let me start the thread going with a self-introduction. My IVF#1 in 2004 was succesfful but unfortunately I gave birth to my baby boy stillborn at 20weeks due to premature rupture of waterbag. Was in depression for a long time but decided to go for FET#1 last Dec. As fate has it, I was pregnant too but the foetus did not develop a heartbeat so I had to abort it at 8weeks. My TTC journey has been heartwrenching. I'm sure some of you here can identify with what I'm saying.

This coming Thursday, I'll be attempting FET#2. I dunno where the courage is coming from but I guess it's the deepfelt desire to want to be a mum. Hope I can know some friends here to embark on this FET journey together.

Cheers.

Hi Angel,

I have undergone IVF#1 on Sept'06 and just lost my baby last month in my 12 weeks....Now just have my 1st AF and will try for natural TTC till March. Should luck not be on my side, I will gor for FET in Apr'07. Btw, how many frozen embyros u have left? I still have 11 left.

Dun be dishearten, since u can get preggie twice by IVF/FET, for sure u can get it again. Perhaps luck is just not on your the last 2 rounds. I'm sure ur route to motherhood will begin soon. Good luck to u! I'll be glad to join you on the journey to motherhood. Keep me posted on ur process. Let's add 'petrol' for each other!

Angel,

May i ask how old are u and how many embryos have u put in during ur last FET, and how many u intend to put tis round. Which hospital u with?

Hi Nanz!

I'm so happy that at least someone notices this post. So sorry to hear abt your loss...having gone through the same heartache, I can only tell you when people console you by saying it's ok, it's never gonna be ok...esp. at the initial stage. I took more than a month to grieve over my stillborn son...

After my previous failed FET, I have abt 7-8embryos left. Today they will be thawing 4, and putting in 2-3 tomorrow at 2.30pm. I'm very apprehensive...I dun really look forward to FET cos it's done w/o anesthesia and it's very painful...Btw, I'm with Dr. LC Foong at Gleneagles. How abt you? I dun mind chatting with you on MSN...Let me add your user ID in now...

Sending you lotsa hugs.

Angel,

Yes I agreed with u...oni for those who have this bad experience will understand the pain and lost...today i may say i am ok, but tml i will go into depression again...it just like undergoing emotions rollercoster...

Awy, I'm with Dr Sadhana in KKIVF. In KK, the ET is oso done without anesthesia...u meant they gave anesthesia during ur ET in NUH?

Unfortunately, there is some network problem today and i can't logged into MSN. Let me PM u my HP. U can sms oso whenever u need a listening ears or share any news. I'm glad to make another new friend with the same 'goal'.

Hey, PM me after u do FET tml...will keep my finger cross for u during the 2 week waitings. And hope u can sprinkle me with baby dusts then. Cheers..

Hi Nanz,

I kept a journal of our feelings and thoughts for our baby after the loss...you may want to do that too. It helps to relieve the pain and unspoken emotions which lie buried in your heart.

No, all ETs are done w/o anesthesia, that's why it's cheaper and we have to have a full bladder too - how uncomfortable. The painful part is when the doctor insert the cartheter into the cervix and then into the urinary tract after the whole procedure so that we can stay bed-bound for a few hours after that. I actually told my husband after my 1st FET that I'm never gonna do it again but now, I have to take my words back...
sad.gif
I'll probably email/sms you on Friday after I'm more well-rested. Thanks for offering your friendship. You take care too.

Angie,

In KK, after ET we only rest for 20 to 30mins then go home liao as the believe is tat if it will implant it will and no matter how we exert ourselves it will still be there. I understand NUH will let the patient to have a few hours rest after ET which I think it is good as it will psychological make us feel better and more confidence.

Hi Nanz

I'm back from the hospital. Thank God the FET went on very well without hiccups and the discomfort and pain were not as bad as I had remembered...now, the waiting game starts. In this cold weather, I sneezed several times just now and am worried whether I sneezed too hard and squeezed the embies out! Getting paranoid...

The day didn't start well though. My gynae said out of my 8 frozen embryos, only 4 survived the thaw and only 3 looked good. So he replaced 2 today and the other 2, he'll try to grow to blasts stage and then refreeze if the cells are intact. So if this cycle fails, my hopes of conceiving may be next to zilch cos these 2 may not survive the next thaw. God, give me hope...

Hi Angel,

What a great idea to start this thread on FET, yes FET is so diffrent from fresh cycle and is good we now have a thread to share expereince. Stay relax for the next 2 weeks, hope you will give us some good news.

Hi angel,

I went thru 1 fresh cycle and 1 FET too, all failed. FET for ppl like us seem to be more difficult not unless if the problem just lies with the hb, if I can ovulate by myself so easily, then I dun need IVF liao cos my problem is ovulation and PCOS, that's why to do FET naturally is like striking some lucky draw for me too :) however FET though chances are slimer but still higher than IUI so dun worry, luck plays a big role in this treatment and pregnancy too. I too have miscarriage twice, both times, heart beat was not detected, that's why need D&C.

I hate to do FET cos scan and scan forever follicle do not grow and my cycle is like 40 over to 50 days, so imagine starting from Day 10 I need to scan, kept going back to hospital every other day.

Hi Angel,

can i check how's FET like?
i mean the process.. nd to go thru HSG X'ray and blood test again?i'm thinking going for FET in Sept'07..

hui,

no need HSG for fet and blood test are only done when you are going to ovulate for a couple of days only, that's to determine and confirm ovulation for the ET

Hi all,

sorry didn't know so many of you replied to the thread. Am extremely happy to welcome all of you as we journey together. Hope we can get to know everyone better in the coming days
happy.gif

Nanz - thanks for being there right from the start. Thanks for your SMS too - really encouraging to have people rooting for you as you wait it out in the dreadful 2WW.

BB - Yes, I was hoping more ladies will share their experience with FET so that we can uplift one another. What's your journey been like? Doing FET soon or currently in it? Which doc are you with? I'm with Dr. Foong @ Gleneagles.

Yvonne - I know exactly what you mean. I have PCOs and ovulation problem too from day 1 of my marriage. That's why our medical bills for IVF/FET tend to be hgiher than other women...and not to mention our higher tendencies for miscarriage cos our eggs tend to be 'older'. I would like to believe that all lives come from God but after going through so much uncertainties and painful losses, I've to admit that LUCK plays an important, if not crucial part too...

Hui - sorry I didn't check in earlier. With regards to your question, before I did FET, I had to do a simple HIV bloodtest (req'd by MOH) cos my last bloodtest was done a year ago. No need for HSG X'ray. Your doc will monitor your lining thickness before deciding on FET date. Process wise, much much simpler than IVF and less stressful. The actual FET procedure (Embryo Replacement) takes only about 15-20 minutes in the OT then you're back at the ward to rest for a few hours before you're discharged. Most docs recommend 2-3days of bedrest thereafter. I find it rather fuss-free. For my current cycle, I had 2 consults, 1 blood test, together with bills for ER and take-home pressaries+hormone pills, came up to abt 3K. One thing though, we can't claim medisave for FET...we only found out last Thurs at the hospital upon check-in, they say only for fresh IVF cycles so do be prepared with cash
sad.gif
. Which doctor are you with?

P.S. Sorry, just realised I'm using my old nick which I usually use for buying/selling threads. Please pardon me if you're confused.

Angel,

U are welcome....afterall, all of us in the same boat so can understand the anxieties and stress u been thru...Take good care and do check with ur dr for your flu if it worsen....hope to share ur good new soons. **hugs hugs & wishes to u **
634894.gif

Angel,

Thanks for your reply. u mean no medisave deduction? shit...i thought if have i dun mind go FET for my 2nd child...
sad.gif

if i'm doing FET will go back to KKH ( DR SF LOh).but if cant deduct CPF then i may skip it..

Angel,
i call up KKIVF just now and check.
they say the FET is abt $1800 and can deduct medisave up to $880..think diff hospital diff practise?

hui, really?

the admin staff at Gleneagles say it is a Ministry of Health guideline...how can there be discrepancies among local hospitals? I would like to use my medisave too but the 2 ladies at the dayward insist I can't...let me make some calls to check. Thanks for alerting me hui...

angel,

oh really, our eggs tend to be older for PCOS patient or ovulation problem patient? this I did not know, then will our bb tends to have higher chances of DS? why our eggs tend to be older?

Nanz,

I like the pooh image which you attach to your post. Do you mind email the file to me so that I can use it in my outgoing emails? Thanks so much. Hugs!

hi Yvonne,

if I dun remember wrongly, most normal mums can undergo egg retrieval by Day 12-14 whereas PCO mums take typically 7-10days more to stimulate so in that sense, our eggs are older. But that does NOT mean our bbs have higher chances of DS cos that's determined genetically. But to be doubly sure, we should check with our docs again if we have the chance
happy.gif

Angel,

I am with prof Ng, same clinic as Dr Foong. Yes i hv check with Gleneagles this morning and they told me cannot use medisave, why kk can use?? So unfair. Tomorrow they will thaw the 3 embroys, hopfully they will survive. I did my 1st IVF in July so it has been 6 mths and i am really looking forward to finish with this round. My FET was not very smooth either, finally took clomid this time to ovulate. If FET is not sucessful, i will do my next fresh cycle with KK.

BB,

Good Lucks & best wishes for ur FET! May u strike tis time and sprinkle BB dusts beginning of the year...
happy.gif
635306.gif

nanz,
How i wish! if strike hor i will not only sprinkle, i will shower you with the BB dusts. My dear, where did you find all this cutie image? I like this one very much, is very girlie!

Angel,

Oledy email u the picture files for poohbear & ehor.

BB,

We will be waiting for the 'bb dust showers' by u & Angel! Will be keeping my fingers X for u two ladies! ....BB rmbr must tok to the 3 little embies everyday...Jiayou jiayou!!!
635736.gif

BB,

I hope I'm in time to send you my hugs before your FET today. I did mine last week at Gleneagles with Dr. Foong, am now in 2WW. 1 more week to go before my BETA on 11 Jan, and I just can't help feeling scared....what ifs this cycle doesn't work, what ifs....guess for people like us who have failed time and again, it's hard not to be realistic with the odds piled up against us. But at least, we have friends here rooting for us. Thanks Nanz and all ladies who take time to post here!!
happy.gif

BB, what time is your procedure? Mine was at 2.30pm and I could leave by 5.30pm. Have some warm soup from Delifrance before your op to keep your belly warm - that's what I did!
happy.gif

Angel,
I am still waiting for them to call me to let me know the condition of the embroys. Mine is 1pm, i think. IS strange i am not nervous this time, maybe cos is FET and it feels like when ppl pop in to the clinic to do botox, haha. OK i will not speak to soon, maybe jelly feet later. Thanks for the tip, you just reminded me that i have a heat pad.

BB,

I called up Ministry of Health this morning and confirmed with them that we can claim Medisave for FET procedures. The lady there Mrs Lim (Tel:63259009) even helped me to call up Gleneagles to inform them of the policies. Subsequently, a staff from Gleneagles called me up and said I could go down to sign the Medisave form but maximum claim is a miserable $350 (compared to KK's $880!).

So what I did next was to speak to the Manager of Quality Management Centre at Gleneagles to to relook at their staff-training and standardise future Medisave claim policies with regards to Assisted Fertility. She has also promised to check for us how much we can claim for our FETs done. What a chore. Hope something good will come out from this so that other mummy-hopefuls won't have to suffer the ignorance of private hospitals.

So BB, if you encounter the same claiming problem, do give Mrs Lim at MOH a call. Praying for you...

Angel,

Today i told the girls that at KK we can claim up to $880 and after she check with the their medisave dept and said ok to claim but subject to approval. That girl at the reception so blur. Yesterday she asked me why i took so long to do the transfer, i was offended but did not say anything, is none of her business right? But today i understand why she said that, she thought i remove my eggs but never transfer the embroys when i did my fresh cycle, how stupid. I hv signed my medisave forms but is not worth to claim if it is only $350. Do you think i should call to cancel?

Everything went well today, i asked to leave 1 hr early. So boring to lie there. Next 2 weeks is going to be worst, my hb never stops to tell me not to move around too much. My test date will be on the 15th

nanz,

Hb and I were talking so much about what happen if only 1 survive so it was a big surprise when we knew we hv 3 to put in. Now just hope they will implant. I promise not to be too active for the next 2 days, this is the best i can do cos i cannot stay put type. Lying 3 hrs at the hospital today almost kill me. You are much younger than me + you were pregnant once so hv confidence on your frozen embroys.

BB,

some say you need to move around so that your womb got blood circulate and thus keep it warm, just be moderate lor, dun jump, run but normal activities can lah. My dr in NUH told me to go movies, high tea etc.

test date on 15th, the day your hb fly off? then you how? if preggy, stay here alone?

BB,

Deerdeer2 here. Could I knwo why you wanna switch to KK? Is prof Ng not good? I wanted KK.. but KK too long.. I gotta wait till APril.. I cant.

DeerDeer,

i was referred to Prof by my gynae due to hb sperm condition. I did my 1st ICSI with him last July and yesterday did my 1st FET. I hv no confidence in FET so last OCt i went to KK to see Dr Sheila to discuss abt my next fresh IVF treatment. Dr Sheila confirmed that Prof is a gd doc.but their methods are abit diff.

I hv no doubt abt his skill but i was not comfortable with him and his nurse fr the beginning but i still go ahead cos my gynae told me he is one of the best in Sin. Maybe is my character, i need doc to be more kia su, to be able to explain when i ask, to be able to provide more info even if i do not ask. Which is not the case here.

My first visit to KK, first thing sheila asked is for me to go for an x-tray to see if there is any problem with my uterus which might cause the embroys not to implant. Prof did not ask for this, in fact he did not x-tray or whatsoever on me. Maybe he does not seee the need, but Sheila method suits me better.

To get an appt with KK takes a few mths but once you are in the game, everything will move fast. If time is yr constrain than you will hv no choice but to go with Private. (if money is not an issue) You can go to this site to read abt Prof www.ogpartners.com/prof-Ng-writeup.html
How did you find out abt Prof?Dr Foong from O&G is also a popular doc.

BB,

Thanks for the encouragement. May u make it this time....talk to ur embies everyday till they become foetus then babies....
happy.gif

Angel,

How are you, how do you feel pysically? GE is still checking on how much i can claim, say they will call me only next week. So finally i told them to cancel my medisave claim.

hi BB,

I feel ok physically, no symptoms at all except some cramping at night...how abt you? I told my hubby last night that this time round, I dun have any 'pregnant' feeling and am mentally preparing myself to expect the worst. The Quality Manager told me someone will call me regarding the Medisave query but till now, no one did...wonder why GE service so lax...

Angel,

Very often ppl tell me they hv cramp, i dont understand what it is like cos i do not hv menses cramp either. Is it like a stomache ache? or something pulling inside? I dont feel anything cos i dont even know what pregnant feeling is like. Another few days to go before yr bloodtest, lets keep our fingers crossed.

angel, BB,

For fet, unlike fresh cycle, we do not have symptons like fresh cycle, those symptons are from those injections. If you do have any symptons, those are side effect from the inserts (progesterone) that includes, breatheless, giddy, a bit of cramp, headaches etc.....

do not worry if you dun feel anything, by right, you should not feel anything :) implantation of fet take action on day 5- day 7 so if your embryos are day 3, 2 to 4 days later will be implantation day, after that, it is judgement day. Imagine the last time, I got day 5 and day 7 embryos put in and the nurse told me that implantation is within these 2 days.

have faith and remember, this is higher chance than IUI. Good luck to both :)

Thanks Yvonne for your encouragement. I am aware that FET has higher chances than IUI but there are so many hurdles to cross - after the +ve Beta, we have to wait another agonising 2-3 more weeks for the foetus to develop a heartbeat...For me, that's when my last FET hope was crushed cos it never did and I had to abort the pregnancy...the feeling is so devastating esp. since you wanted it SO MUCH to work...

BB, how are you hanging on? Cramps are like some abdominal discomfort - some slight stretching/pulling/tugging sensation. It may range from mild to strong...my cramps come on and off...and know what? It's getting less frequent now...I wonder why.

Back