IVF doctor - how important is it to select a recommended doctor or is it alright to just get whoever is available?

adventurejunkie

Newbie here. And the posts here of everyone’s journey are very helpful. I just recently called SGH to check the availability of Dr Yu Su Ling, which is one of the few recommended doctors out here. However, she is only available in Feb. I am tempted to just get any doctor from SGH if I can’t find another who is available earlier than Feb since time is ticking for me (I am 43 turning 44 next July). Does it really matter? What are the things to consider if choosing a doctor, in case I go the route of being assigned to anyone who is available? Thank you so much for the help.

Newbie here. And the posts here of everyone’s journey are very helpful. I just recently called SGH to check the availability of Dr Yu Su Ling, which is one of the few recommended doctors out here. However, she is only available in Feb. I am tempted to just get any doctor from SGH if I can’t find another who is available earlier than Feb since time is ticking for me (I am 43 turning 44 next July). Does it really matter? What are the things to consider if choosing a doctor, in case I go the route of being assigned to anyone who is available? Thank you so much for the help.
Hi, I am a IVF patient at SGH. What I know is that SGH is fully booked for IVF cycles until Feb 2020. Meaning whichever doctor you see at SGH, you will not be able to do it earlier than Feb. Maybe you can consider going to a private hospital, if you want to do the IVF earlier. There are a number of popular private doctors recommended on these forums, you can search. I get what you mean about time ticking as I am 38 next year.

Dear

Our egg quality deteriorates as we age. For me, I saw both private and public. In my view, if i opt for public hospital i save costs but may end up spending more time and that so adding my work stress i really dislike waiting. I remember my first wait at KK was 2 hrs and it felt like forever. I knew i wouldnt be able to waste time during every single visit. As for private, you dont save costs (get ready $20k) but u def save a lot of time and you can have more communication with ur gynae. I chose private at the end coz i really hate waiting (wait for gynae and then have to wait at the pharmacy). As for your age, if you do have the financial resources, you may consider choosing private.

Hi, I am a IVF patient at SGH. What I know is that SGH is fully booked for IVF cycles until Feb 2020. Meaning whichever doctor you see at SGH, you will not be able to do it earlier than Feb. Maybe you can consider going to a private hospital, if you want to do the IVF earlier. There are a number of popular private doctors recommended on these forums, you can search. I get what you mean about time ticking as I am 38 next year.
which doctor are you with?

I would pick the doctor than getting treated by a random doctor.

My first two cycles I randomly went to a lady doctor in NUH despite my friend asking me to go to Prof Wong.

Poor egg retrieval for the first two cycles with the lady doctor. She was not kind either. Didn’t even bother changing protocols for the second cycle when the first one yielded poor results. I was only 27 then, reasonably healthy and with proper treatment I could have gotten more eggs than just 4 eggs.

For my third I finally decided it was enough and I switched to Prof PC Wong. He saw the number of eggs retrieved and changed the protocol and finally my third one he managed to get 14 eggs and 8 successfully became embryos.

So I would definitely do my research and go with the one whom I am most comfortable with.

I think different Doctors have preferred type of protocols.

Back