Horizon Primary School @ Punggol

imel88

Does anyone have any feedback on Horizon Primary? How is the curriculum? Stressful for the child? How are the teachers/Principle?

Next year is my much dreaded turn to register my boy for Primary school and I have not even narrowed down any schools yet
sad.gif

Would appreciate any advice any of you mommies can offer

Hi Mrs Ng,

I am still undecided.. Am actually looking at Punggol Green Primary and Montfort Junior right now... Any advise?

Hi,
I need to know procs and cons of both Mee Toh and Horixon Primary..I hv no problem register to either school but unsure which to choose...cos, child disinterest in Mandarin but we hope she can pick good buddhism values...yet afraid of she being sidelined if she can't follows in class...

How does those dominant in english speaking kids cope with Mee Toh?

Horizon also has chinese language..How does English dominant kids cope with Mandarin at Horizon too?
Please advise,cos registration is next year...

Hi Mummies,

Why didn't you guys consider Edgefield?

If you ask me the difference between Mee Toh and Edgefield, Mee Toh is more focus on education while Edgefield is 'rounder' in their approach, they focus on after school activities.

Horizon is still a new school in which there is no affirm direction at this point in time. Usually, it takes about 3 years for a new school to settle in their curriculum.

Hi renewal

Are you staying at breeze? My 08 girl also due to register next yr. Our first choice is mee toh, back up is punggol view. I am staying just beside Horizon.

Hi hweiz, i stay at edgefield plains...looks like both of us don't choose school nearest to us...my 1st choice Horizon but my 08 girl told me many times she wants mee toh...

Anyway, both mee toh and horizon require balloting within 1km. Bring her down during the open hse to get a feel of the school.

Schools within Punggol...
My personal opinion...

Mee Toh is highly sought after... But they focus mostly on the top class only. Not much proper teaching and support for average and weak students.
Unless you intend to stay home and teach or are prepared to pile on tuition/enrichment, your child will feel rather lousy if they are not in the top class.
Super competitive environment.

Horizon is new but they have good reputation due to their holistic programmes. Parents who want well-rounded education will love Horizon. Requires balloting to get in.

Punggol View is also very new. Their popularity comes from the P and VP. And apparently the new team of teachers (poached over from other schools).
Very good review from the students and parents. However, their in-house studentcare has bad feedback. Re-consider if you require the in-house studentcare badly. They have limited vacancies in the SC too. I think will not be easy to get in.

Edgefield is pretty established and their teachers are very dedicated. Weak students are pulled back for a lot of intensive revision and remedials. Heard that most days the kids go back at 4.30pm.

Punggol Green is also new but seems like not much talk about it. Probably due to the houses surrounding it are mostly still under construction or are very new.

Greendale has poor feedback. Work given is too simple and inadequate to prepare the kids for PSLE. Though the kids really enjoy school due to simplier worksheets and test, it may not be to the kids' advantage when competiting at PSLE (national level).

Given a choice, I will choose Horizon or Punggol View, whichever is nearer. :D

hi hweiz, was wondering why your 2nd choice is not Horizon but Punggol view since you are staying near the school?

Anyway, both mee toh and horizon require balloting within 1km. Bring her down during the open hse to get a feel of the school.

hi just chance upon this forum. You can attend the school open house. But note that meetoh's open house is somewhere in May, whereas all others are usually in July (very near to submission of P1 dates, which usually starts near end July). and some open house clashes with one another. you can try to google kiasuparents.com.sg, there also has alot of feedback.

Back