First scan - empty sac - uncertain viability

Benemma

This is my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy was smooth with zero spotting, so was a little shock to see some pinkish spotting at 5w4d (based on LMP, but I know I ovulate later)

It didn’t soak any pantyliner, just some staining of underwear and on the toilet paper after I wipe.The second day of spotting I decided to go kkh UOGC. Thinking it should be something small and all I needed was some pills to stabilize my pregnancy till my first appointment.

I was of course prepared for the worst too, since Mc is scientifically proven to be very common (easier to Mc than to strike toto)

anyway, dr did a u/s and probe, found nothing more than thicken uterus lining. She did a pelvic check and pulled out some reddish tissue the size of 20cent coin and told me “this is probably it, but it doesn’t look complete”. My hcg level was high at 12000. So she ordered a more detailed scan in case it’s ectopic pregnancy. Turns out, the sonographer managed to spot a 7mm empty sac.. the second doc who attended to me said that there is nothing we can do now, only time will tell if my pregnancy is viable or not - I’m diagnosed as uncertain viability.

I certain did not expect this roller coaster of emotion all in one afternoon. There is still hope but I didn’t wanna be too optimistic. The nauseous is hitting me hard now and it’s painful to know that all the retching may or may not result in a baby 8 months later.

I do hope to see some miracle stories pouring in to tide me through till my next scan, but I also hope this story helps those who are going through the agony of “uncertain viability” and how each toilet trips are so so hard, for fear of seeing more blood.

Hi Benemma I totally understand how you feel. Currently I feeling worried and lose. My last mense was 15 Jan and I went to KKH twice to scan. First was on 2/3, they did tummy scan and vaginal scan and the doc said they can’t see anything. The sec scan was on 15/3 they did a vaginal scan and saw two empty sac at the same time I start to bleed. doc asked me to wait for two more week and scan again by then we can have a final answer for it. 16/3 night I start to have more bleeding and I went to KKH Emergency they did a scan again and the two empty sac is there, doc suggested I should take a blood test and my HCG is low so doc suggested I take duphasyon for two week and see how it goes. I asked doc why am I spotting she told me it might be a sign or miscarriage because my HCG is Low. Doc said I try to take the medication first see whether it help. Till now I still have brown to pink spot. The waiting for next appointment really worried me.

Hi Benemma I totally understand how you feel. Currently I feeling worried and lose. My last mense was 15 Jan and I went to KKH twice to scan. First was on 2/3, they did tummy scan and vaginal scan and the doc said they can’t see anything. The sec scan was on 15/3 they did a vaginal scan and saw two empty sac at the same time I start to bleed. doc asked me to wait for two more week and scan again by then we can have a final answer for it. 16/3 night I start to have more bleeding and I went to KKH Emergency they did a scan again and the two empty sac is there, doc suggested I should take a blood test and my HCG is low so doc suggested I take duphasyon for two week and see how it goes. I asked doc why am I spotting she told me it might be a sign or miscarriage because my HCG is Low. Doc said I try to take the medication first see whether it help. Till now I still have brown to pink spot. The waiting for next appointment really worried me.
really hope the best for you! Right now is really the lesser the discharge, the better it is!

i was feeling really Unwell yesterday with some backaches. Woke up with bleeding. Not optimistic for Monday’s scan, but also glad I’m having an answer instead of “uncertainty”

really hope the best for you! Right now is really the lesser the discharge, the better it is!

i was feeling really Unwell yesterday with some backaches. Woke up with bleeding. Not optimistic for Monday’s scan, but also glad I’m having an answer instead of “uncertainty”

Hi benemmA thanks for the reply. I got nobody to voice out to. After I start the medication I still bleeding, I been bleeding for 5 days and kind of upset me. Since the day doc said my HCG is lower than normal and the bleeding is a risk of miscarriage I know my chances is Low. I am too not optimistic for the upcoming scan. Do rest well ok? Hope there is miracle for us.

Hi benemmA thanks for the reply. I got nobody to voice out to. After I start the medication I still bleeding, I been bleeding for 5 days and kind of upset me. Since the day doc said my HCG is lower than normal and the bleeding is a risk of miscarriage I know my chances is Low. I am too not optimistic for the upcoming scan. Do rest well ok? Hope there is miracle for us.
Thank you for your kinds words. I understand how you feel about having nobody to voice to jia you jia you! No matter what’s the outcome, your health (emotionally and physically) is still most important.

Thank you for your kinds words. I understand how you feel about having nobody to voice to jia you jia you! No matter what’s the outcome, your health (emotionally and physically) is still most important.

Benemma I am kind of worried and stress. Today my spot quite bad and there is tiny of clots flowing out when I go toilet. It been 6 days already. By the way you went to which hospital for check up? I am now on my way to kk emergency because I feel pain. I am very scare. I hope there is miracle for the both of us. Jia you!!!

Last edited:
Benemma I am kind of worried and stress. Today my spot quite bad and there is tiny of clots flowing out when I go toilet. It been 6 days already. By the way you went to which hospital for check up? I am now on my way to kk emergency because I feel pain. I am very scare. I hope there is miracle for the both of us. Jia you!!!
Really hope all is well with you >.<

I too goes to kkh thinking it will probably be cheaper than Thomson medical (I thought mine was a small issue then..), but my first visit was already $700+. So since my record is already there, I will be doing the follow up scan there as well.

i was bleeding more than usual on Saturday and had some pains too, but since the doctor told me that I don’t have to go back if anything happens (I think she meant non emergency situation) I didn’t go back to kkh. Also because my follow up scan is on Monday itself.

Really hope all is well with you >.<

I too goes to kkh thinking it will probably be cheaper than Thomson medical (I thought mine was a small issue then..), but my first visit was already $700+. So since my record is already there, I will be doing the follow up scan there as well.

i was bleeding more than usual on Saturday and had some pains too, but since the doctor told me that I don’t have to go back if anything happens (I think she meant non emergency situation) I didn’t go back to kkh. Also because my follow up scan is on Monday itself.

Hi. I went to KKH emergency yesterday they asked me to go for urinal test and fresh blood n some tiny blood clot when I wipe. Same thing doc said there is two empty sac they can find the reason I bleeding, they can do anything now but wait for next two week appointment and see. Doc said unless I got high bleeding or very in pain then go emergency if not no point because they can’t do anything. The waiting is very stressful but basic on the scan I don’t think there will be anything growing anymore. The size of the empty sac still the same like the first time I scan on early march and nothing is inside. They refused to do a hcg test for me and just ask me to wait for next appointment. You going for your appointment today? Hope everything goes well for you .

Hi. I went to KKH emergency yesterday they asked me to go for urinal test and fresh blood n some tiny blood clot when I wipe. Same thing doc said there is two empty sac they can find the reason I bleeding, they can do anything now but wait for next two week appointment and see. Doc said unless I got high bleeding or very in pain then go emergency if not no point because they can’t do anything. The waiting is very stressful but basic on the scan I don’t think there will be anything growing anymore. The size of the empty sac still the same like the first time I scan on early march and nothing is inside. They refused to do a hcg test for me and just ask me to wait for next appointment. You going for your appointment today? Hope everything goes well for you .
I went for my appointment today and the sonographer managed to find a heartbeat! But I’m still spotting, and doc prescribed some progesterone pills.

Two weeks back I passed tiny clots too. Doc even removed some tissue from below, but lab test came back unremarkable. There can be miracle!

Hello, I am 8W4D pregnant.. I went to have first scan on WK7 and they detected heartbeat and said everything is normal. However shortly after have some minor spotting too with pink to brownish discharge / tissue. It comes and goes and I still feel all the pregnancy symptoms. Should I be worried?

I went for my appointment today and the sonographer managed to find a heartbeat! But I’m still spotting, and doc prescribed some progesterone pills.

Two weeks back I passed tiny clots too. Doc even removed some tissue from below, but lab test came back unremarkable. There can be miracle!

Benemma this is a good news…. I am so happy for you. I am also on progesterone pill but still bleeding. Yesterday scan still find empty sac. It take how many week to detect the heartbeat? When they detected the empty sac? Did the doc explain why are you still bleeding ?how long you been bleeding?

Last edited:
Hello, I am 8W4D pregnant.. I went to have first scan on WK7 and they detected heartbeat and said everything is normal. However shortly after have some minor spotting too with pink to brownish discharge / tissue. It comes and goes and I still feel all the pregnancy symptoms. Should I be worried?

It better to contact your gyna asap because you never know what is going on. Like mine I bleed and suddenly my HCG level dropped. Doc HCG drop can be a threatened miscarriage. So long as there is spots contact your gyna. They will do a scan and blood test

Benemma this is a good news…. I am so happy for you. I am also on progesterone pill but still bleeding. Yesterday scan still find empty sac. It take how many week to detect the heartbeat? When they detected the empty sac? Did the doc explain why are you still bleeding ?how long you been bleeding?
The doc say maybe I’m too active, so ask me to rest more. She did mention the more I move, the more the bleeding will not stop. But I’ve been almost stationary the whole day after I came home from kkh, but I’m still bleeding.

my empty sac was detected 10 days ago at 7mm, and today managed to detect heartbeat.

praying for things to turn out well for you

I would suggest going to the doc just for a peace of mind. As much as spotting is “common” in the first trimester, it shouldn’t be dismissed as normal.

Back