Endometrial polyps and pregnancy

Eran Lee

Recently I have been diagnosed with 2 endometrial polyps (diameter less than 1cm).
Earlier my periods were regular. But before 3 months ago, I had nonstop bleeding for several weeks, and my doctor said that bleeding problem can be due to hormone imbalance. After a series of medicine, the bleeding problem is under control now. But still I’m using hormones tablets.

However, according to my doctor, it is not necessary to remove these endometrial polyps to get pregnant. But as I have seen in the internet, it can affect for the fertility level and also there may be some risks if i get pregnant.
As I am planning to have a baby, I just want to know is that safe to get pregnant with endometrial polyps? What can be the risk with that?
Kindly share if you have face this kind of situation. Appreciate your advice and experience .

Is there any doctor you would recommend to remove polyp? Thanks all

Yes it's safe to try while leaving the polyps intact. I guess the downside is possibly lower chances of conception as the polyps may take up space for viable implantation.

I have recurring polyps (and quite a few each time), I do get them removed whenever I'm trying to conceive. For me, they come back within 6 months, so I have to time the polypectomy well.

It's a simple day surgery so any gynae you're comfortable with should be ok for that procedure.

Hi I think is better to remove cos it might affect implantation and if there is implantation the polyp might compete with the baby for nutrients and is not good for the baby’s growth as well since they are not supposed to be there. Polyp might lead to constant bleeding or spotting during pregnancy so you don’t want that to happen also.

I too have endometrial polyp 1.5cm and it was removed via a simple day surgery(D&C, hysteroscopy, polypectomy) I have the same problems as you on and off spotting when my period is already over. It kind of affects me that time as I have to keep putting on a pad when it is not even my period.

This could be one of the reason that there is no conception for me when the polyp is there so my suggestion is just to remove it first if you are planning to conceive.

I think it is better to remove too. Sometimes on scan it says 1-2 but when take out, there's more.

May i also ask if you all are taking hormones replacement therapy like progyluton to regulate the lining/menses after removal of polyp? Mine the result mention that there is mild hyperplastic lining or sth. Could anyone share with me the results of your report too?

Oh! And does removal of polyp improve your menstral cycle? I went for mine but menses seems heavy still :(

I think it is better to remove too. Sometimes on scan it says 1-2 but when take out, there's more.

May i also ask if you all are taking hormones replacement therapy like progyluton to regulate the lining/menses after removal of polyp? Mine the result mention that there is mild hyperplastic lining or sth. Could anyone share with me the results of your report too?

Oh! And does removal of polyp improve your menstral cycle? I went for mine but menses seems heavy still :(
Hmm your heavy menses should be due to your endo hyperplasia and not polyps that's why it's still the same... If you're worried about heavy period can avoid food that contain estradiol-like elements like soy, dairy, EPO, etc. Though the progyluton you're given contains estrogen too

Hmm your heavy menses should be due to your endo hyperplasia and not polyps that's why it's still the same... If you're worried about heavy period can avoid food that contain estradiol-like elements like soy, dairy, EPO, etc. Though the progyluton you're given contains estrogen too

Thank you so much Shin for sharing. Yeah i was wondering why I was given progyluton (with estrogen). Perhaps if given just progesterone pills would be better?

Are you currently taking anything to prevent the polyps from recurring? Wonder if borage seed oil can take also? Many know about EPO but Borage is lesser known. I also just ordered Clary Sage oil and hopefully can balance the hormones.

Are there anything I can take to improve the mildly hyperplastic lining?

Yes it's safe to try while leaving the polyps intact. I guess the downside is possibly lower chances of conception as the polyps may take up space for viable implantation.

I have recurring polyps (and quite a few each time), I do get them removed whenever I'm trying to conceive. For me, they come back within 6 months, so I have to time the polypectomy well.

It's a simple day surgery so any gynae you're comfortable with should be ok for that procedure.
Hi, Thank you for sharing this.
Did you do D&C to remove your polyps?
Also how long do we have to wait to try for baby after surgery?
And how about the cost for surgery? Thanks

Hi I think is better to remove cos it might affect implantation and if there is implantation the polyp might compete with the baby for nutrients and is not good for the baby’s growth as well since they are not supposed to be there. Polyp might lead to constant bleeding or spotting during pregnancy so you don’t want that to happen also.

I too have endometrial polyp 1.5cm and it was removed via a simple day surgery(D&C, hysteroscopy, polypectomy) I have the same problems as you on and off spotting when my period is already over. It kind of affects me that time as I have to keep putting on a pad when it is not even my period.

This could be one of the reason that there is no conception for me when the polyp is there so my suggestion is just to remove it first if you are planning to conceive.

Hi, thank you for sharing you experience and suggestions.
I am also thinking to remove it as it gives less complications for pregnancy. How about the cost for this surgery? Can you recommend any good doctor for me please. Thanks.

Hello Eran, are you looking at private or public hosp and prefer male or female gynaes?

Thank you so much Shin for sharing. Yeah i was wondering why I was given progyluton (with estrogen). Perhaps if given just progesterone pills would be better?

Are you currently taking anything to prevent the polyps from recurring? Wonder if borage seed oil can take also? Many know about EPO but Borage is lesser known. I also just ordered Clary Sage oil and hopefully can balance the hormones.

Are there anything I can take to improve the mildly hyperplastic lining?

Firstly, are you trying to conceive at the moment? If you are then I don't think you need to do anything about the lining (as long as your biopsy is cleared). If you're not, then doc may prescribe some bc pills to suppress activity and slow down growth. Polyps are harmless in general, so I won't try to hard to get rid of them unless trying to conceive.

I did not take anything cos I was trying to conceive, and now conceived. Not sure about borage seed, haven't heard of it

And on hormone pills, docs usually prescribe progesterone and estrogen together for balance...

Yes I did. Can try conceiving the very next cycle. I think the cost varies from about 2k to 6k depending on the hospital you go to?

Firstly, are you trying to conceive at the moment? If you are then I don't think you need to do anything about the lining (as long as your biopsy is cleared). If you're not, then doc may prescribe some bc pills to suppress activity and slow down growth. Polyps are harmless in general, so I won't try to hard to get rid of them unless trying to conceive.

I did not take anything cos I was trying to conceive, and now conceived. Not sure about borage seed, haven't heard of it

And on hormone pills, docs usually prescribe progesterone and estrogen together for balance...

Congratulations to you!! :):):)

May try conceiving, so for now taking progyluton so cannot conceive till 2 months later. I just wrote in to the clinic to ask if heavier menses is due to the hyperplastic lining. By any chance do you know if mild hyperplastic lining = hyperplasia?

The report says sth like focally crowded glands and focal haemorrhagic change, no malignancy seen. My friend's got "no hyperplasia" but mine didn't state no.

Hi, I don’t have any preference about the hospital. I prefer male gynaes than female. But it doesn’t matter for me to go for a good female doctor.

There's good reviews for Dr Paul. I would suggest you to also enquire the charges first as it varies across and it depends on what you're comfortable with :)

Hi, thank you for sharing you experience and suggestions.
I am also thinking to remove it as it gives less complications for pregnancy. How about the cost for this surgery? Can you recommend any good doctor for me please. Thanks.

I’m under KK as subsidised patient and I paid ard $800+ from Medisave and subsequently claim from my hospitalisation insurance. As for good doctor I cannot recommend to you as I just go along with what the hospital has assigned to me.

I’m under KK as subsidised patient and I paid ard $800+ from Medisave and subsequently claim from my hospitalisation insurance. As for good doctor I cannot recommend to you as I just go along with what the hospital has assigned to me.

Okay. Thank you for all the information.

btw Shin, can we take fish oil during menses? I'm on hormones replacement therapy pills with super bad bleeding and i recall suddenly that I had fish oil this morning!!

btw Shin, can we take fish oil during menses? I'm on hormones replacement therapy pills with super bad bleeding and i recall suddenly that I had fish oil this morning!!
Yes, in fact it may help to ease some of your discomfort. Just check that it is not "multi-purpose" with various other ingredients that may have other effects. Hang in there, it will get better! :)

Yes, in fact it may help to ease some of your discomfort. Just check that it is not "multi-purpose" with various other ingredients that may have other effects. Hang in there, it will get better! :)

Had to call the emergency hotline last night due to the heavy menses flow. Scary. Could be due to the vessels from the wound..

Oh dear, are you any better now?

Dear Shin, thank u for checking in. Yeah the bleeding was continous till about 11+ on Fri night and subsequently reduced to 2-3hrs flow so that made it slightly more manageable. The next day was still heavy but not continous. Thankfully by now the flow is much better, but I'm probably going back to the gynae to take some pills for standby in case next month's is this bad :/

I really doubt anyone is experiencing this after polyp surgery!

For your prev polyp removal report,may I pls ask if it states eg "no hyperplasia, no endometrosis and maglinancy"? Mine only states no maglinancy..

thank you and take care, eat well too!

Dear Shin, thank u for checking in. Yeah the bleeding was continous till about 11+ on Fri night and subsequently reduced to 2-3hrs flow so that made it slightly more manageable. The next day was still heavy but not continous. Thankfully by now the flow is much better, but I'm probably going back to the gynae to take some pills for standby in case next month's is this bad :/

I really doubt anyone is experiencing this after polyp surgery!

For your prev polyp removal report,may I pls ask if it states eg "no hyperplasia, no endometrosis and maglinancy"? Mine only states no maglinancy..

thank you and take care, eat well too!

Are you having your period or is that just sudden bleeding straight out of the surgery? If it's your period then yes that sounds like what I usually experience, which is fine.

I do have endometriosis and endo hyperplasia. My report stated no evidence of endometritis and malignancy, along with other details.

Are you having your period or is that just sudden bleeding straight out of the surgery? If it's your period then yes that sounds like what I usually experience, which is fine.

I do have endometriosis and endo hyperplasia. My report stated no evidence of endometritis and malignancy, along with other details.

Mine is the first period after surgery that is exceptionally heavy. Probably usually also soak up pad every 2-3 hrs but this round, around 1-1.5hrs and it couldn't stop for awhile.

Do u usually have heavy periods as well? And do u mean you have endometriosis and hyperplasia as well? Do u need to take any med previously or follow up to see if it improves? :) i'm also not too sure for mine if hyperplastic lining = hyperplasia but sounds like it.

Thank you Shin :)

Is this the first cycle you're on hormone meds? If yes, then that is likely the cause? Yes my period has always been that heavy, I can't rely on pads, I use menstrual cups (which are 3x the capacity of overnight pads) on top of pads, and on heavy days I have to empty every 1-2 hours. Yes I have stage 4 endometriosis and endometrial hyperplasia. Have to go thru a couple of surgeries for that, but no I didn't take meds cos I was trying to conceive. Haven't heard of such a term hyperplastic lining though.

Is this the first cycle you're on hormone meds? If yes, then that is likely the cause? Yes my period has always been that heavy, I can't rely on pads, I use menstrual cups (which are 3x the capacity of overnight pads) on top of pads, and on heavy days I have to empty every 1-2 hours. Yes I have stage 4 endometriosis and endometrial hyperplasia. Have to go thru a couple of surgeries for that, but no I didn't take meds cos I was trying to conceive. Haven't heard of such a term hyperplastic lining though.

So glad that all's good for you, despite having endo and hyper. Maybe after giving birth later on, the conditions may improve?

Yes, it is the first period after the surgery and took 1 tablet of the hormones pill only and the second day start to have the crazy bleeding. The doc said it is some vessels in the lining but it's alr been abt 3weeks since surgery. I really find it an inconvenience with all these heavy flow, whereas my colleagues can function really well with eg 2 -3 pads usage a day only and go shopping all haha. Even taking a train to work i'm scared it'll leak, and i need to look for a toilet after i reach my workplace. Furthermore, next month i gotta work outdoors and that means finding a toilet will be an issue oh gosh. I think i got phobia alr.

maybe mine is also endo condition. I'll probably update again once i get to see the gynae this coming week :) if there's anything, would it be better that i drop you a dm instead?

Thank you.

So glad that all's good for you, despite having endo and hyper. Maybe after giving birth later on, the conditions may improve?

Yes, it is the first period after the surgery and took 1 tablet of the hormones pill only and the second day start to have the crazy bleeding. The doc said it is some vessels in the lining but it's alr been abt 3weeks since surgery. I really find it an inconvenience with all these heavy flow, whereas my colleagues can function really well with eg 2 -3 pads usage a day only and go shopping all haha. Even taking a train to work i'm scared it'll leak, and i need to look for a toilet after i reach my workplace. Furthermore, next month i gotta work outdoors and that means finding a toilet will be an issue oh gosh. I think i got phobia alr.

maybe mine is also endo condition. I'll probably update again once i get to see the gynae this coming week :) if there's anything, would it be better that i drop you a dm instead?

Thank you.
Yup hopefully it's a good break for my body... Oh 1 pill shouldn't have that much an effect so probably not. Have you considered trying menstrual cups or tampons? They are a lifesaver for me! And sure, you can pm me. All the best!

Back