Down syndrome

Dear all,

I recently went to KKH to do paranoma test with my hubby. Just like to share on it.

Price : $800 (without micro deletion, if add micro deletion need to add about $300

If your hubby go along with you, the panaroma package actually come with a plastic test tube looking container, it is for your hubby to do a mouth swab and then insert in back into the container to be send back to USA lab for testing along with your blood sample. According to the nurse and internet, the mouth swab thingy is optional and it will not further improve the accuracy of the findings. Please do not ask me why still do it ya. I really dunno, i am guessing that even the nurse is not 100% sure what the mouth swab will be use. ha ha.

Result lead time: 10 to 14 working days

fyi pls.

Hi my first post here, may I know is it the dr will recommend these test after seeing short nasal bone? Or they go by age? I'm 34 turning 35 this year end. EDD Sept 2016.

Hi my first post here, may I know is it the dr will recommend these test after seeing short nasal bone? Or they go by age? I'm 34 turning 35 this year end. EDD Sept 2016.

Hello,

These are basically tests for down sydrome, all of them are optional and your gynac will reccommend what he/she think is most suitable for you. Having said that, he/she is afterall not you, therefore feel free to take the doctor reccommendation into consideration then make a decision that you feel that will give you the optimal outcome.

Cheers

Hi all, just checking with those mummy who did the CVS test. Was it a painful process and is hubby allow to be with you while they extract the "liquid" out?

Hi all, just checking with those mummy who did the CVS test. Was it a painful process and is hubby allow to be with you while they extract the "liquid" out?

Hello, for such diagnostic test, i alsway thought that Amino test is more common then CVS (Of cos i can be wrong ya), any specific reason why you are going for CVS instead of Amino? Lesser MC risk? etc

It was recommended by the doc. My Oscar result came back and it seems that my baby might has genetic issue. I'm feeling so confused and lost now. Doc did mentioned about this ms portion as well. We weren't informed of other options.

It was recommended by the doc. My Oscar result came back and it seems that my baby might has genetic issue. I'm feeling so confused and lost now. Doc did mentioned about this ms portion as well. We weren't informed of other options.

Hello mummy, first thing first, dun worry ok, oscar is only 90% accurate to begin with.

If you are the type that cannot accept any MC risk, then you can consider the following test first

1) Panaroma or Harmony test (This is a blood test, 99% accurate and cost at least $800, but it is zero risk of MC and you get to know the gender of your baby). Result will be out in 10-14 working days officially but if you are kan chiong type like me, i think you can call the clinic about 7 calendar after to do the test and check with them whether result is in

If this test result is also not ideal, then you can consider CVS OR Amino test. Both test got tiny risk of MC, cost should be over $1K each. I believe the result accuracy is 100% There are plenty of information regarding both of these test, go to those more reputable website to have a read then have a chat with your hubby before going to gynac to discuss what is the best option forward again.

All the best mummy. Jia you

I did the CVS test last month in my gynae's clinic and my hubby was allowed to be in the room.
I find it not really painful, my gynae gave me a local anaesthetic jab in the abdomen muscle beforehand, but you will feel the needle poking into the uterus (it's not really painful, more pressure kind of feeling).

You just need to keep in mind to relax, do not flinch or move when the needle goes in, and don't look at the ultrasound screen cos it'll be scary to see the needle poking into you on screen. I decided to close my eyes throughout after seeing the local anaesthetic needle poking into my tummy on ultrasound. LOL

Thank you aaa111.

Any idea where can this harmony test be done? I'm currently with Kkh, not sure if they provide this option cause the doc did not offer this option to us. Or would it be better to see another doc for a second opinion.

Hi myria, it sounds scary. Hubby and me tried 4 years before we have this special gift. I really hope that our baby will be fine.

Good luck on your test results!

Hi myria, it sounds scary. Hubby and me tried 4 years before we have this special gift. I really hope that our baby will be fine.

Good luck on your test results!

Don't worry, it just sounds scarier than it really is. My results came out all clear 2 weeks after the procedure. Have faith that everything will be fine for you! Jia you and good luck!

Thanks all!

I made an appt with prof Anada for the genetic scan. Saw a lot of good reviews about him. Praying hard that my baby will be fine.

Hi, just to share. I am 27 years old and first pregnancy. During OSCAR scan at 12 weeks it was discovered that my baby have a slightly higher than average NT but the OSCAR's results state that risk of down's syndrome is low. But at my 20 weeks detailed scan on tue, baby's NT was still thick. According to Doc usual cut off is 6mm but my boy's measured 6.8mm. However his brain, heart, kidneys, stomach and nasal bone all looks good. Doc recommend us to go for the Paranoma test to see if there are any chromosome issues and so I had my blood drawn at the clinic yesterday for the test. Waiting anxiously for the results now which will take 10 - 14 working days :(

Hi OJY, I'm at my week 12 too. Can understand how you feel now. Jia you! Hopefully the result turns out to be good. I know the waiting period is torturing. Let's pray hard for our little one!

Hi OJY, I'm at my week 12 too. Can understand how you feel now. Jia you! Hopefully the result turns out to be good. I know the waiting period is torturing. Let's pray hard for our little one!

Thanks Christalchong! When's your genetic scan? Will keep u and your little one in my prayer. Hopefully we can both have good results!

Hi, just to share. I am 27 years old and first pregnancy. During OSCAR scan at 12 weeks it was discovered that my baby have a slightly higher than average NT but the OSCAR's results state that risk of down's syndrome is low. But at my 20 weeks detailed scan on tue, baby's NT was still thick. According to Doc usual cut off is 6mm but my boy's measured 6.8mm. However his brain, heart, kidneys, stomach and nasal bone all looks good. Doc recommend us to go for the Paranoma test to see if there are any chromosome issues and so I had my blood drawn at the clinic yesterday for the test. Waiting anxiously for the results now which will take 10 - 14 working days :(

Hello, i understand how painful is the long way. My reccommendation is you start to call the clinic about 8 calendar day after you give them your blood sample, usually the result is in earlier then the standard lead time they provide.

All will be well, jia you.

Hi OJY, I managed to get an appt slot next Friday. Hopefully both our results will be good and both our baby will be healthy.

Hello, you mention that you are currently 12 week pregg and going for genetic scan next friday. I had the understanding that Dr Anandas genetic scan is suppose to be done in week 14. You might want to call his nurse to doublecheck. This scan is not cheap ya, so best is to do it during the reccommended window.

Jia you.

Hi aaa111, yup, the nurse gave me that date. I will be week 13 plus close to week 14 next week. I did informed her that I'm week 12 plus now.

Hello, i understand how painful is the long way. My reccommendation is you start to call the clinic about 8 calendar day after you give them your blood sample, usually the result is in earlier then the standard lead time they provide.

All will be well, jia you.

Thanks! will call them next fri to check. hopefully the results will be in before CNY if not it's really such a long wait. My hubby is so sick with worry that he has difficulty to sleep at night...

Thanks! will call them next fri to check. hopefully the results will be in before CNY if not it's really such a long wait. My hubby is so sick with worry that he has difficulty to sleep at night...

Hello,

I think you can try to dial them next Wed, afternoon. I am 80% hopeful the result will be in. But dun tell your hubby that ya, i do not want to give him double disappointment. Yes, the wait is very torturing, can reduce by even 1hr is also good.

Jia you, all will be ok de.

Thank you aaa111.

Any idea where can this harmony test be done? I'm currently with Kkh, not sure if they provide this option cause the doc did not offer this option to us. Or would it be better to see another doc for a second opinion.
Hi, I'm currently with kkh private. I did my harmony test and results out in a week. =)

For private, harmony test can claim medisave?

I am not 100% sure but i dun think can use medisave for this test. Because when i did this test, they did not offer me the option of using medisave. If believe if can use, they normally will say de

I'm 33 this year, expecting a 2nd child (princess)... went for Oscar and it came back with 1:76!!!

Went for Harmony, turned out low risk

$1200, cannot use medisave

I'm 33 this year, expecting a 2nd child (princess)... went for Oscar and it came back with 1:76!!!

Went for Harmony, turned out low risk

$1200, cannot use medisave

Hello, congrats on the good result. Some might feel that it is a waste of $$$ and get a big scare by the less accurate Oscar. But it is not 100% $$$ down the drain imho because Oscar test contain a scan when might be able to detect certain issue that a blood test such as Harmony or Paranoma test cannot reveal. For example, missing hand, kidney or extra legs etc (Yup. the examples are out of the world and very extreme ya) hee hee

I went for Oscar because I chose that option when I was carrying my prince when I was 29... the results were very favorable back then.

So I thought I'll do Oscar for this pregnancy too... what a scare!!!

Hi Mummies,
I went for oscar test and my results was very bad. Gynae advise us to go for amnio and heart scan for bb which we decided to go ahead. However, we need to wait for at after 14 weeks then can do the test. Me and my husband was very worried.

Hi Mummies,
I went for oscar test and my results was very bad. Gynae advise us to go for amnio and heart scan for bb which we decided to go ahead. However, we need to wait for at after 14 weeks then can do the test. Me and my husband was very worried.
Can I ask what's your age and do you mind to share your result?
Due to my age, I did another kind of blood test (NIPT; without Oscar) and you can do it at wk 12 or even earlier.

Can I ask what's your age and do you mind to share your result?
Due to my age, I did another kind of blood test (NIPT; without Oscar) and you can do it at wk 12 or even earlier.

Age 33, T21 ratio was 1:18 against the benchmark of 1:401..
Initially we wanted to take NIPT but due to the cost we decided to do Oscar first and if any bad results then consider NIPT. However Gynae recommend amnio. I m not worried about the risk for taking amnio and more worried for if baby is well. The wait again for test and results is torturing.

Age 33, T21 ratio was 1:18 against the benchmark of 1:401..
Initially we wanted to take NIPT but due to the cost we decided to do Oscar first and if any bad results then consider NIPT. However Gynae recommend amnio. I m not worried about the risk for taking amnio and more worried for if baby is well.
Thanks for sharing. One of my pregnancies I had similar Oscar result as yours but I was then 40. I knew Oscar has the tendency of giving false positive result and after much discussion with my other half, we didn't pursue further tests.

However this round, we went ahead with NIPT as we want a more definite (tho not 100% compared to amnio) answer.

Continue to stay positive. Oscar result is definitely not conclusive at this point.

Thanks for sharing. One of my pregnancies I had similar Oscar result as yours but I was then 40. I knew Oscar has the tendency of giving false positive result and after much discussion with my other half, we didn't pursue further tests.

However this round, we went ahead with NIPT as we want a more definite (tho not 100% compared to amnio) answer.

Continue to stay positive. Oscar result is definitely not conclusive at this point.

Thanks for sharing. May i ask for the pregnancy you had done with oscar...is the pregancy ok?

Thanks for sharing. May i ask for the pregnancy you had done with oscar...is the pregancy ok?
It wasn't. My bb stopped growing a week after my Oscar.

But this is really my own personal case. There are loads of false positive cases cited. So I hope you'll keep the faith.

Hello,

The cheapest NIPT test i know in Singapore is most likely at KKH, it cost $800 and can be done from week 10 onwards. Result is 99% accurate. It is call parnoma test. It is a blood test there for is risk free. Amnio is 100% and cost over $1K in KKH.

Jia you. all will turn out nicely for you de. dun give up just yet ya. Stay positive, eat well and sleep more too.

Hello,

The cheapest NIPT test i know in Singapore is most likely at KKH, it cost $800 and can be done from week 10 onwards. Result is 99% accurate. It is call parnoma test. It is a blood test there for is risk free. Amnio is 100% and cost over $1K in KKH.

Jia you. all will turn out nicely for you de. dun give up just yet ya. Stay positive, eat well and sleep more too.

Would we be able to claim partial from medi save?

Such tests not able to claim. We did ours last two 2 weeks. Coming Wednesday is 14 days. Pray all is good. Have faith

Wife received call from Nurse today. Bb is healthy, and gender made known. :) 2nd call, nurse mentioned about Sex Chrosome. Was told might be blood not able to trace, hence stated as unidentified. Do you all know what is that??? Went Google but dun understand at all. Doc supposed to call us back, we were told clinic busy and will call us today after 20s patients. We gonna wait tomorrow.

It sounds confusing to me. You mentioned the gender is revealed. I presume it's sex chromosome you're referring to? She has done the NIPT right? So I wonder what is there to test further. Hope you'll find some enlightenment tomorrow.

No test for now. Harmony done. Nurse mentioned doc will be able to advise better. -chromosome Unidentified

Been lurking on this forum past years and decided to recreate an ID and contribute.

For those who took the Down Syndrome screenings and all is well, congratulations.

For those who did not opt for screening 'All The Best!' and enjoy the pregnancy.

For those who did the screening, why do it? Are you prepared for unfavourable results? Will you abort once the screening tells you your chance is 1:138, 1:3, 1:3888, 1:8888 or 1:10000? Or will you then take a diagnostics (CVS/amnio) to confirm and risk a miscarriage?

Reason why I posed the above is because I had initially thought I would not be able to accept a child with an extra chromosome and labelled Down Syndrome.

Then I got a hint at 11W of possible down (Panorama) and the worry and tears started as we came to terms with the condition and scrambled to find out more about the support in Singapore vs that in western countries.

NT Scan supported the screening (screening is not diagnostic, screening is only risk level) but aborting on NT scan and screening is too risky and we pray for a miracle as we wait for confirmation via a diagnostics test around 16W. We also did a heart scan since down syndrome children tend to have heart problems and the heart scan found irregularities which the Doctor explained could be due to Down Syndrome and better to wait for another 11 days for amniocentesis results.

Through the 5 weeks, much soul searching is done and desperate readings from the library, Down Syndrome Association, Internet is done. We realise there is too much information online, a huge ethical debate on abortion and many different experiences by couples around the world.

At this point, perhaps having a healthy Down Syndrome child seems acceptable then a Down Syndrome child with a heart issue (which may/may not be healed). But which parent may guarantee a child's future?

Why would you keep a down syndrome child and if you were to abort it, would it be upon bad screening results or upon just a CVS (12W) or an Amniocentesis (16W) or after the 20W scan results as the pregnancy shows?

After cvs or amnio I think safest to consider abortion if u cannot accept a child with DS
Thank you for the response.

'safer' in terms of future surprises? Or the fear of the greater unknown? Is Singapore society gracious to accept a child with an extra chromosome? Or just the inability to handle the cost of increased care that is a consideration?

If ever faced with a similar situation and you watch videos and see children with down syndrome, they talk, they laugh, etc.

If apart from down syndrome, there is no other medical condition up to 20 weeks, I am inclined to go through the pregnancy. Is it a mistake?

'safer' in terms of future surprises? Or the fear of the greater unknown? Is Singapore society gracious to accept a child with an extra chromosome? Or just the inability to handle the cost of increased care that is a consideration?

If ever faced with a similar situation and you watch videos and see children with down syndrome, they talk, they laugh, etc.

If apart from down syndrome, there is no other medical condition up to 20 weeks, I am inclined to go through the pregnancy. Is it a mistake?

Hello,

Many points you raise is very valid, i wish more parent think as deeply as you. Having said that having baby is a personal choice the individual couple need to decide for themselve. Outsider inclusive of their daddy, mummy, relative, kpo friends, opinion leaders, doctor, scientist are all irrelevant. Because each set of parent will need to think hard and decide for themselve whether do they want a child with "Down" sydrome. Afterall, none of the above listed folks will be bearing the full responsibility of raising the child.

Cheers

Safest for you emotionally and physically and also at least you made the choice after informed decision with proper evidence . I think you are the only one who can make that decision whether to keep or not..for me I won't keep the baby coz I feel it's a burden for him to endure (poor physical/ mental health etc) but I know of my friends who just skip the first trimester screen as they will keep the baby no matter what .. All the best

As a society I think we are better able to accept someone with DS.

Personally the main question would be whether your hubby and you would be able to accept and care for such a baby. The amount of time, effort, blood, sweat and tears, plus the emotions (the highs and possibly the many lows). If you can accept the 'costs' that comes with the 'benefits' of nurturing a DS baby, then yes you may consider going through with it.

It probably wont be good to bring a DS baby to the world if no one is there to care for him/her. It may be better to deal with the pains of terminating the pregnancy rather than bringing him/her to the world.. That would be truly tragic.

Good luck!

Back