Domestic Workers to get weekly day off

What are your views?

Personally, I'm sorely disappointed with MOM decision to give maids mandatory ''off days''.I am a mother of 2 young children and I was planning to further expand our family unit but will now have to reconsider because I will not be getting adequate help, especially with all these pro-maids policies!

I am against it as there are several factors that needs to be looked into - 1) Social issues: Maids who might get pregnant, have a boyfriend (or many boyfriends!) and getting distracted with their work, or start comparing their household requirements with other maids. In this day and age, most maids are here to choose their employers. As it is, many families are finding it hard to get a reliable maid. Having the mandatory off days will compound these social issues.

2) Families who need maids to be around: ie, maids looking after young children, elderly and disabled. As a full time working mother with young children at home, I need my maid to be around to take care of the domestic chores so I can spend quality time with my kids. It causes alot of inconvience to me if the maid is not around and I need to make logistical arrangements.

As a full time working mother, I don't get the luxury of 'off days' as well. I have to cook for the family including the maid every day and help out with household chores whenever I'm not working. In addition, the new generation of parents these days are heavily reliant on FDWs because unlike our parents generation where they have the luxury of grandparents looking after the children. Many grandparents today are also working full time, thanks to the upward revision of retirement age. IF the government really want to encourage us to have more children, then we need to have the necessary help around. Infant care and babysitters fees are very costly and for families with more than 2 child, the most economical solution is often to hire a FDW.

3) Domestic workers are DIFFERENT from other workers because during the course of their work day, they have plenty of time in between to rest already - when the children are in school etc. And when the family goes on outings, the maid either can spend time resting at home or follow the family in these outings as a form of relaxation. Most employers are aware that it is not wise to have an over-worked maid and will already make allowances to ensure the maid gets proper rest. For example, my maid takes a nap every afternoon after she is done with her chores.

As it is, the maid's salary has already shot up by quite a fair bit ($450 for new maids and $500-$550 for experienced maids), putting a strain on most household incomes . (Most families' income have not increased by much over the last few years.) Having to give maids mandatory off days will only cause more distress to families who genuinely need domestic help.

For maids who chose not to have their ''days off', we will have to ''compensate'' them with pro-rated salaries which easily means another $100-150 ON TOP of the current high salary. In addition, we also have to bear the maid levy unlike HK or Taiwan where there isn't any. It is pointless to keep comparing with other countries because no one country is alike and many maids we know chose to work in Singapore because they feel they can save more money (unlike HK or Taiwan where they have to pay for their own lodging and food).

As employers, can we also demand that the quality of maids are assured so as to justify the incredibly high salary which we have to pay? Many maids are not up to the job nor are they properly trained as claimed by the maid agencies. Their biodatas are always inaccurate as well and many times, for example - after selecting a particular maid who is supposedly trained in childcare, our maid admitted that she has no experience whatsoever but it is too late because the employer would have already paid upfront for 8months maid loan. In the end, the only party who actually profit from all these are the maid agencies. Because they can continue to market maids with inaccurate profiles and pocket the $4000+ of the 8-9months maid loan, leaving employers to deal with incompetent maids.

The recent price-fixing of maid's salary by a group of maid agencies go to show just how influential and scheming these agents are and it does seem that even MOM can't do anything about it. No doubt these agents were fined but how much of a deterrent is that really?

We employers are at the mercy of maid agencies and even maids themselves. I once employed a maid who told me that she does not want to look after children or elderly and requested for a transfer on the very day that I went to pick her up. This is despite her promise during our phone interview that she loves children and had experience looking after them. Clearly, she just wants to come to Singapore first and then take her time to choose her employers. On another occasion, we had a maid who lied about her employment history and claimed that in her last 2 years in Singapore, she only had 1 employer but in fact, she had 7! When we requested to change to a maid with no experience instead - the maid agent told us that we need to pay a separate ''service fee'' because we can only chose a replacement maid from the ''experienced'' group and not ''fresh'' ones. It seems to me that maid agencies can impose all kinds of ''rules'' as they chose and MOM cannot do anything about it.

It is already very frustrating for employers who have to go through all these but yet when we feedback to MOM, it seems like nothing can be done.
I wonder, who can speak up for us then?

I totally agree with what you said... We need extra help hence employed a helper and yet st______ MOM came up with the mandatory weekly off... Currently having a hard time when maid goes for mthly off... What about weekly??? Can't imagine that ... No matter what we voicE will be no use... Just pray very hard birth rate drop and more of maid got murder story... Maybe this will wake MOM up...MOM should send ppl dw to lucky plaza and see what maid do on their off day...

Actually, I beg to differ from you guys opinion.

Let us put ouselves into their shoes. Say.... We also are employees of a company. And upon employment, this company expects us to move into their dorm. Be under their supervision 24/7. They provide food and lodging.... And they pay you the salary. You get to work only for the mandatory 8 hours per day. Not fixed 8 hours. Up to your flexibility to complete the work. You can rest once you are tired. Still, the baseline, you are to stay at where you are.

Then, company arrange some outings on some days. They indulges you with the outings... but the person you go out with will be the same. Your colleagues.

How you feel?

Maids are afterall human. They definitely need to take a breath. They need their own space. Their own life. Their own entertainment... and something to look forward to on and off.

I also used to have the same thinking as you gals. Until last yr, I decided to try bringing my kiddos out on my own. Watching over them, chasing after them, nagging none stop..... Then dinner with them, halfway through dinner toilet break. Slow eating by the kids... Frustrations, irritations... so on and so forth. My first few outings turned out very tiring. But after a month or so, me and hubby realised that we definitely love being able to be in charge of our life, our outing as a family and finally, the closeness to go out as family with helper.

One thing for sure. Our home gets cleaned almost everyday. Just once a week, no cleaning, washing of clothes is done. The whole world won't just collasp. It's just a minor pile up.

Try it. Stay home, be alone with the kiddos. Gather back the privacy of being together as a family without helper around. I'm sure you ladies will get to appreciate it and love it sooner or later.

I understand where you are coming from Caterpilly but I am swaying towards watervapor_baby.
On top of the day off, i am sorry to say, i have yet to fully trust my helper. She is very good, but I am really terrified once she mixes with the others, esp those more promiscuous and "overly-friendly" ones, they will be influenced. I experienced it twice before, and never again pls. I strongly believe i am not only an employer, but also the guardian to my young helper and I shoulder the responsibility and have to answer to her parents shld any misfortune befall her. It's not a clear-cut case.
Having my helper ard means i am less tired and bothered about household chores, and we took over and have fun with the kids when we are home. She is that very preciouos extra pair of hands that I simply cannot do without.
Don't compare our employment and work in the office to theirs.

kookyash, i second you. I am sorely disappointed in fact, pissed over such decisions made. Everything is done at the employers' expense. They have no idea how some hardcore maids are. If they are at the receiving, see if they will still lay such policies. They will suffer for such decisions, becasue it will definitely bring about a hell lot of social problems. Imagine maids, moonlighting on their day off? Imagine, the nonense they will bring home after mixing with all the rest , teaching them how to rebel and talk back to the employers and start to show you attitude.

Those without day off already can show you attitude, those with? I dare not imagine. Those without maids will definitely tell us all about human rights, they should first suffer at the hands of these maids from hell then start telling us the same again.

I agreed with all the above except Caterpilly.

Its very simple... nothing will happen if the helper have self respect and self discipline for herself. Its hard to have a GOOD helper nowadays cos their mentality to come here and work as a helper is different from last time. Its easier to come here as a Helper than other positions and they will use this opportunity to earn that EXTRA MONEY during their offdays. This happened to my friend's helper and she was totally shocked. Without second thoughts, she sent her away immediately.

I am also very disappointed with such decisions. Its all to employers disadvantage but helpers advantage. So... better think twice if you're thinking to have more children.

Same thinking I agreed with all the above except Caterpilly.

I also cannot trust my maid totally coz we never know what they do behind our backs especially when we are not around.

Given the job is not a tough job either. She doesn't cook everyday only weekends and do housework over the weekends and I placing them at my in laws place. Basically just need to cook for my baby to eat and take good care of her.

Its not that tough looking after my baby coz she sleeps 2 times a day. No need to do housework on weekdays. except sat & sun. Weekdays the most u wash and fold clothes.

When I was heavily preg abt 7 to 8 months I still squat down and hand wash all my clothes and hubby clothes plus do all the housework myself.

I'm sorely disappointed with MOM decision to give maids mandatory ''off days''

Yes windy! Agree!
It's weird that the govt wans higher birth rate, more productive & fulfilled citizens, bt their policies r pro foreign workers! Y bother asking us wen the nex thing we saw is the policy has alrdy been mandated! Sucks!

Hi all, can I ask a very basic question? How many hours should the maid get on her day off? I assumed that it was 8hrs but when I told my maid that (she starts her monthly off tomorrow), she said that it should be 12 hrs.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Blueskies06,
Mine will just go to church, then come home abt 5pm and resumes her chores. She leaves the hse at 9am.

U can tell her wat time u wan her to be back i dun know if the contract states anythg concrete.

Hi blueskies,

I dun understand y ur maid so particular abt the hours she should get for her offday. It should be done in a compromise way.

If she left home in the morning she should make breakfast for u and family. 8 or 9am to leave the house and be back by 5 or 6pm to prepare for dinner.

This is what happens when Maids get to know their offdays:

1) Why they need to go out when they are in a foreign country? A place where they are unfamiliar and where can they go or loiter?

2) If they go church - (Not all maids go) its fine. Shopping? The things in SG are consider expensive for them so chances for them buying is low. Their exchange rate is 3.3 vs our SG$ 1 so if you were them would you buy?

3) Lunch on their own outside during offdays. Foodcourt stuffs are very expensive nowadays

4) And they have to bear their own transport allowance.

5) Chances of them making boyfriends are higher also. They are here to work for us not fooling around here or to find another partner here as they are here on contract basis.

We employers are facing more CONS eg:

1) In SG, most mothers are working and gov advises us mothers to work also as we have better benefits when working. We have high standard living here and how can we live without a job our flats are super expensive here. Most of us cannot even ballot a flat and they just keep us waiting and having $10 donated for each ballots without successful rate.

**I have ballot for more than 10 times and not getting a flat for duno what reasons and my queue no. are always in not less than 3 thousands. We gave up and buy from the sky high market rates.

*Basically if 1 parent is working - the family cannot provide better living standard or I should say tough life.

2) When our maids are sick, we have to bring them see doc and pay for their medical fees. Most of us are only in the range of middle class. We can hardly bear the medical fees nowadays. See doc easily 50 plus sometimes even more. My maid went to see dr due to some infections on the toes and it cost me S$65 for just antibiotics and medications.

Now when maid get themselves pregnant or other illnesses do we employer pays for their medical fees also? Medical fees are very expensive here, if we cannot afford how?

I doubt the company we are working would bear these cost for us mothers and employees...

And we have to pay for the maids working here. I might as well quit my job and be a maid better.

Don't you think so.

We also have parents in their old age and we still need to support them and our kids.

Whats the use of the baby bonus when its just puny to us.

It basically turns down the birth rate further.

hi bluekies06
i had emailed MOM on the mandatory weekly offday before. they told me there is no min hours for the off day. it is by mutual agreement. also they can be expected to do some simple housework before and after they come back on their offday.

We know it is beneficial to rest but AT OUR EXPENSES ... AGAIN. How can?

The problem with the activists calling for mandatory off is that they probably sit in their air con office and living in illusions. What they really need to do is to go through the entire process of employing a maid, live with them to learn the truth. Have not even employed the new breed maids yet talk so much and making new law at our expense.

MOS Tan Chuan Jin and Halimah's salary is high enough for them to hire several maids and let them take turns to go off weekly. They won't have problem cos they can afford to let their maids work half day and spend the half day chit-chat on the phone, do manicure, watch TV, go online shoot at us, etc. How to get these people understand what we're facing? There is no welfare for own citizens!!

1) If FDW wants 12 hrs hours rest, she has to settle all her meal by herself. I know some FDWs took about 8hrs off and still need to do housework, not getting complete rest.

Personally, I'm ok with one off day each month, 12 hrs is fine with me, won't kill me to take care of my own kid and do own cooking.

BUT I don't want to be responsible for maid's action. Her own doing is her problem, not mine, why should employer be made liable? Eg runaway, sleep with men on off day, behaved badly after having off, got hurt during off days, etc

2) We want to ensure our money is well spent, not wasted on FDWs who didn't bring a brain and heart to work in Sg. When will MOM listen to us and stop protecting FDWs and agencies who provided lousy FDWs?

3) Indonesian govt wants its citizens - fresh maids to get minimum S$450 as a start. For source country providing FDW without experience and had 8 cases of doing chores but ended up sky diving, what protection and fairness given to employers?

$450+170 levy is S$620, comparable to HONGKONG maids!! A GOOD FOR NOTHING FDW ALSO CAN GET THIS AMT, all thanks to MOM's pro-maid policies. Dont forget to add in the live-in cost of a domestic worker, in total, we spent around $1500 a month, depending on agency fee.

Why can't MOM just set a salary scale for fresh maid and experience maid who's renewing contract with Sg employer? Why MOM enjoys lead by Indonesia and Philippines govt and go according to their demands? If their people earning little money in Sg, poor benefit, no off day, treated like slaves/dogs, LET THEM STAY IN HOME COUNTRY AND DON'T COME HERE TO GIVE US PROBLEMS, accuse us of being bad when most of us are actually not slave-drivers.

We need to work full-time, we have children and many other things to handle, we certainly don't need a foreign adult to babysit, be worried and stressed from the day she bears my name in the work permit.

4) What Gov/MOM up to? When maid takes weekly off, employers stay home look after our kids and old forks, do housework, leave the public areas to their favourite foreigners, totally rob our chance to relax after a week's work, continue make us pay for others to enjoy?

Many employers feel so much suffocated and oppressed now.

It's not a luxury nor a joy to hire and deal with maids these days.

I would advise all employers to feedback to Ministers, cc MOM. If most employers don't send in feedback, MOM will continue to disregard our interests.

Im lucky to hv a gd maid now. But her contract ends this yr and she doesnt wanna renew. So when the time comes, im also gg to hv a headache looking for a new helper.

I was traumatised by my 1st maid frm indo. I always tot if u treat sm1nice, they will repay with kindness as well. But apparently, it doesnt work for them. They will just take advantage of u.

Frankly speaking, i wld rather quit my job than employ a maid cos the expenses is just not worth it. Unless u are a tai tai or earn mre than 5k a mth. Else we earn the $ not enuf to cover and at the end of the day, our paychk balance is peanuts. Plus still hv to cope with many maid issues like wat other posts menetioned.

Most sundays r family day. We go out to relax with our family and we need to bring the maid out to keep an eye on the little ones. So if they get off evday sunday, then itz quite a hassle. We pay so much for their help, yet in the end we gotta suffer.

Wat abt those working on wkends? Or those helping take care of old folks?

I really m disappointed in the govt's stance on this.
But complain oso no use now.

Im just stressed up thinking hw to cope without helper. And i do regret expanding my family.

I am totally PISSED OFF with current unfair situation that all FDWs employers are facing.

Currently, I am having an indo maid. Her 2yr contract is up this July. Verbally she has agreed to renew, however I need to do the renewal of PP, insurance, BG and WP. After all these, pray hard she does not change her mind!!!

I have spoken to my hubby, we have agreed that if she is not renewing, then we are not going to get anymore maid. How to tahan - starting salary for new indo maid is at least $420 + levy $170/$265 + agency fees $800 to $1600 + cost of maid's lodging, food, medical fees, etc + constant loss of privacy + constant fear of whatever mischief whenever we are out working +++.

My intention is, if no more maid, my primary school kids will be sent to Student Care near their school. I will do some household chores before leaving for work at 7.30am and after reaching home at 6.30pm. Engage a part-time maid to come in on weekends for 4-5hrs. Let the house be a little more untidy and dirty. Get the kids to take responsibilities of simple household chores and their own belongings. It is definitely not going to be easy but I will not be threatened by all these STUPID Indo Govt requirements, MOM and "full of humane", uncaring, f rich Ministers and Activists.

Please THINK THRICE, FOUR times, etc before you decide to have kid or kids! In Singapore, everything is so expensive and yet govt never help us!!!

Agreed with JuneTai & the others. Pls think twice before you enlarge ur family.

My indo helper came to my household on Saturday. During phone interview, she claimed that she can speak, read and write simple english. I monitored and discovered that she can't at all. What the hell is this?

Have been employing maids for almost 7 years since my daughter ws born,
and changed 4 maids.I compared my maid wihtout off days and given off days. They are totally different!
Maid with off days= total co-operation and less trouble and quality conscious work, with great receipes!
Maid without off days = less co-operative lousy housework, close eyes on dirty corners and lousy dinner menus.
So, my conclusion is go off and enjoy! Be back safe. They goes off at 8am and return before 10pm. Usually on their off day, i requested them to cook one pot dish like freid bee hoon or kway tiao, and leave it in the ricepot. Sometimes, 1 pot of porridge or soup. They gladly do it before they go off.

I beg to differ from mrstang. Maid with off day = like to compare, use hp, more troublesome, refuse to take instruction to do things your way. Maid w/o off day = simple, listen to your instruction and less likely to give trouble.

Maids are sent here to torture us!!! The MOM needs them cos they earn from them.

After 3 evil maids in 7 months, I decided I need a break before I need to check-in to IMH!

We are happier now, I cook simple dishes, look after our son ourselves, he is happier as well as we look after him. Yes, it is tiring but minus the stress that maid gives us!!!!

Back