Cooking Tips & Recipe

Hi everyone. Been busy - dd2 down with flu, I'm also having the sniffles! Tomorrow celebrating my niece's bday at my plc, - cake ingredients haven't buy yet, house in a mess....aaaaah, panicking already! Thanks for all your birthday wishes!

Hi LittleCat, heheh, after piping the words, he was v. happy there were lots of melted choc left, so all ended up in his mouth!
Port Dickson, sounds great! Can't wait to see your pics! The package very good deal, hor? Did you book directly with them or through a travel agent in S'pore?

Hi Ambrosial, happy bday to you too! Quite a number of my friends are born in March too - spring time, I guess, lots of new births!

Hi annlee, hope your ds1 is enjoying his new kindergarten! My dds turn 6 and 4 years old this year. I think so far in this thread, Joy's girl is the oldest at P2, followed by Van and Choc's girls in P1. Is your ds1 in K2 this year? He looks very grown up in the pics!

Hi Nancy, Charis has really good motor skills! Can climb in the walker by herself!

Hi lyn, thanks for sharing your blog. Aloysius is so lucky to have such a hardworking mummy! Yeah, I've read tt crawling improves brain development and language development. Thanks for the reccommended readings - I'll see if she wants to take a look.

Hmm....if I come across any nice round cake designs, I'll let you know.

Hi twinkle, hope you get your travel prob settled soon. Hehe, shld find a co like my hb's, always having travel "freeze" to cut costs! He used to travel lots too but has since cut down a lot, thanks to his co's cost cutting measures!

Hi Cecelia, welcome to the thread
happy.gif
My kids are also small eaters - I always envy my nieces who have big hearty appetites! But keep trying to introduce new types of food - it could just be a phase!

Hi Choc! we've missed you too! Wah, didi is quite fast hor? Crawling around already!

Hi Gohong, glad to know your arms are getting better! Hope you find a maid soon to help you around the house - must be very tiring for you being pg and looking after the twins by yourself. Take care!

Hi cupcake, I sent you a pm already
happy.gif

Btw, I made "Red Rubies" for CNY. Here's the recipe - I will upload the pic later cos' I'm on my mac now it it doesn't have the pic in the hdd.

500g water chestnut, scrubbed, skinned and diced (this is the troublesome part!)
1 tsp red liquid food coloring
1/2 cup tapioca flour
250 ml coconut milk
sugar
pandan leaf
salt to taste

Put the diced water chestnuts in a clear plastic bag. Pour the liquid food dye and coat evenly until all pieces are pinkish-red in colour. Pour in the tapioca flour - toss the bag around to ensure even coating. Boil the dyed and coated water chestnut pieces until they float to the top. Strain, rinse in cold water twice. Make a sugar syrup by dissolving about 1/2 cup sugar to about 1 cup water. Soak the water chestnuts in the syrup until ready to eat. chill in the fridge. Next, bring 1 cups of water to boil, add the pandan leaves, continue boiling for a couple of mins, remove leaaves. Add 250 ml of packet coconut milk and bring to a gentle boil, add sugar and salt to taste. Cool and chill in fridge. Scoop the water chestnuts into a small bowl and pour the chilled coconut liquid over it to serve.

hi all,

my maid has finally arrived..and this is her 1st working day and she is so far so good..very initiated and very detailed in both cleaning and taking care of bbs..i'm satisfied so far..hopefully her good performance will last til her contract ends
happy.gif

she cook mee goreng for lunch today and it was yummy..

746458.jpg

Hello gals...
I am back from Bintan
happy.gif

I successfully made shepherd's pie in casserole for the first time
happy.gif
Everybody said very nice and finished everything! I used pork and chose cheddar cheese
happy.gif

Recipe:
(A) onions
garlic
pork
frozen mixed vegetables
ready made creamy cheese white sauce
salt
--Stir fry all the above.

(B) boiled potato
--Mashed boiled potato, add butter.

Pour (A) into casserole. Spread (B) on top. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake in convection oven till golden brown on top
happy.gif

Hi choc!
Miss u... Your little didi is pretty fast in his motor skills
happy.gif

Aloysius is teething 5 annd 6 teeth, so salivating again. We just came back from Bintan. Brought him to the beach to play
happy.gif

annelise,
Your gals are very sweet looking...

Gohong,
Good for you
happy.gif
Take care.

Annelise,
I have new photos but need to find time to download them to Yahoo. Very busy with work and cleaning of new place. Will move in 2 weeks from now. Your cakes never fail to impress us!
happy.gif

Ambrosial,
Thanks for the pet food update. I've checked with my groomer and he said those batches in Spore are safe. Btw, I have changed food for my dog. She is now on Eagle Pack - Salmon. They have awards for this range. So far my dog likes it leh ;p

Cookie monster,
Thanks for your compliments! :D

Gohong,
What nationality is your maid? I am considering hiring one from Myanmar. Heard any reviews on them?

Lyn,
Your pie sure sounds good!

Sophie,
Long time no chit-chat ;p Hope your gal is ok...Does she still have a lot of wind? Is she oredi on FM? If you are bottle-feeding, make sure she does not suck the last drop of milk as this means sucking in air...My neighbour taught me this as she used to be a nurse in hospital nusery...

Hi everyone,
finally loaded the picnic photos in our yahoo group. heee.. fm the photos, can see how difficult it was to make the children all look at the camera at the same time. ;)

krisjoy- she's from indonesia..have heard some rather negative reviews from those who have had mynmar maids..

review 1 - unable to understand simple english..
review 2- lazy and tend to 'eat snake'
review 3 - need constant supervision..

but to be fair, not all maids are the same so if you want, you can just try your luck with them..but very important is to find a reliable maid agency..

Hello ladies,

What are you all cooking today?

Hey Gohong, your fried noodles look very hawker standard leh ! How's your arm now ? When my dds have very nasty bites from bugs, that area swells up alot too, so I'll apply some ice to reduce the swell, followed by SOOV ointment( can be bought from pharmacy)

When my malay neighbour fries mee goreng or bee hoon goreng, she usually fries the rempah(onions, few garlic and dried chilli)first, then add the ingredients and the noodles, very yummy too.. and she adds tau cheo to the beehoon goreng..

Hey cookie, saw your picnic photos, all the bbs and little girls look so adorable !

Hey Kris, how are you ? Ive been MIA for a while.. How's your baby now ? Eating semi solids yet ?

Today I made boiled potatoes, cauliflower and fish then blended them together, my didi seems to enjoy it..

Hey lyn, thanks for your recipe, didn't add cheese to mine, will add cheese next time when I make.

Hey CAT, where are you ?

Hey Anne, wow, your red ruby dessert looks good, that's my ang's fav.

Hi Gohong, wah the mee goreng is making me very hungry! It's not easy to find a maid that cooks well! Good that you can rest more now that there's someone to help out in the house!

Hi lyn, welcome back! Did Aloysius enjoy himself in bintan? Btw, what brand of white sauce did you buy? I wanted to make shepherd's pie for dinner today but the potatoes in Cold Storage didn't look very nice. Cooking spaghetti bolognaise tonight - finally found Ragu pasta sauce in Cold Storage CP today!

Hi Krisjoy, so exciting, moving to a new place! Hehe, some of my things are still in boxes and I've moved to my current place more than 2 years already!

Hi cookiemonster, thanks for uploading the pics! Yeah, very difficult to get them all looking at the camera at the same time!

Hi choc, didi very lucky, got yummy homemade baby food to eat! My poor dd2 ate mainly jar food when I was weaning her cos' I cldn't cope with cooking and looking after the 2 of them - those were my tingkat days! You're really good at multi-tasking! Hee, luckily my ang loves red ruby too - so he volunteered to wash, peel and chop all the water chestnuts for me
happy.gif

Hi,
Anyone of you know if tiger thermal pot having a promotion? Or other better ones? Actually I am quite happy with the one I bought for ds (1.2 ltr) but the price is $120/150 cannot remember for a Thermos brand. I am looking for a bigger one now. So wondering if there is any go bargains???

annelise,
You tried using the thermal cooker for you ds? Then maybe she don't have to live on jar food lah... Its quite convenient for me in the night I throw the beans/nuts in and boil, next morning I boil together with the rice and pumpkin / french bean / apple and I just leave it till the evening and ds can eat (I do separate the brocoli/califlower/spinach by steaming and adding to the porridge) It saves time and electricity somemore I don't have to watch whether it get dried up like the slow cooker!

Hi Lyn,
Multi-coloured beans (five colours) are pre-packed, I buy from the organic shops. As we are vegetarian, my ds's diet is mostly nuts/beans so I just mix and match. Eg. walnut with pinto beans (these I will blend as walnut is a hard nut to cook!), cashew nuts with red kidney beans, multi-coloured beans (consist of black bean, dalh, green bean, red bean, lima beans (white in colour) and some small beans which is two tone of brown in colour, but the mixture defers from time to time). Charis loves eating nuts and beans, she will tell you 'nut, nut' when you feed her as she want the beans/nuts.

choc06 - my arms are ok now..but the flaky skin are peeling off..hopefully no scar..

annelise - ya..i'm counting my blessing for finding a maid that can cook and her skills are not bad at all..so nowadays, i only do minimal housework and no cooking at all..

here's the pics of yesterday dinner..

Fried Chicken Wings
749135.jpg

Stir-fried Veggies
749136.jpg

Pork Rendang (Coz cun find beef)
749137.jpg

Lotus Root Soup
749138.jpg

Choc,
Great to hear from you! I m starting my gal with cereal this weekend. Let her try out first. What about u?

Gohong,
Did u make all the food??? Wow, if only my dinner is as sumptious! I am eating Tingkat food cos my in-law too old to cook everyday...Thanks for the info on maid. Do u mind PM me your maid agency for future reference? Do u find them good?

Annelise,
Yes, I am quite excited! Finally have a house of my own and more freedom
happy.gif

Hi everyone. Today didn't start on a good note - I was melting chocolate to make an Easter bunny for my gals to paint and decorate during my dd1's bday party when I found a chunk of black mouldy looking thing embedded in the chocolate bar! Threw away the rest of the chocolate that was melting in the pot. Bought lots of Easter egg chocs from the same brand too - now dunno whether safe to let my kids eat them or not! Luckily my dd2 who's home with me today didn't eat any of the choc as I was melting it! Dunno why I ALWAYS find disgusting things in my food!

Hi nancy, thanks! The last time I didn't know about thermal pots - my dd2 is 3 years old now
happy.gif
I have a thermal pot now, but use to double boil soups only. A few weeks back my sis bought from OG - dunno which brand, but quite cheap - $49 only, Not sure if the promo is still on. This week is long weekend - maybe got sale?

Hi gohong, I especially like the lotus root soup! Thanks for sharing the yummy pics!

Okie, gotta go - haven't bought the partty favours for my dd1's party yet!

Hi Krisjoy and Annelise - the food of my dinner was all cooked by my maid who has only been with me for 4 days (including today)..

by the way, krisjoy - where you staying huh..then i c the maid agency that i got my maid from got branch near your house anot..

i can only say that the service of the maid agency (hougang green branch) was very good and detailed with their explanation..they are also very strict with their maids..on my 3 trips to the agency, i had seen the staff scolding the maids when they had doubts that the maids are telling the truth (for eg, there was this maid who say she takes only 30 mins to cook dinner then the staff scolded her, saying.."you dun lie ok, 30 mins, i also cannot finished cooking dinner..if you duno say duno dun lie" in a very loud and fierce tone..

fyi, my maid was a transfer maid..on my 1st trip to this agency, i already sorta of set my mind on employing her..and it turn out that so far, she's so good..i've no complains yet so my advice is dun be afraid to employ transfer maids..

hi ladies...
sorry, long time no drop by cos reli overwhelmed at work n at home.... n reli no time to cook, so paiseh to come here talk abt other things lah...
but now, got to come in n make an "announcement"......
kao_sticktongue.gif

ladies, im gonna shock u all... but im 6weeks preggy liaoz... EDD end-nov/early dec.... im shocked out of my wits lah... n to a certain extent got too much things to b worried abt so havent reli "accepted" n "enjoyed" tis piece of new yet.....
kao_confused2.gif

gohong,
can u pm me e maid agency @ hougang green??? i may very well need to get a maid come year-end... do u stay near hougang green?? i stay e block "next door" only... thanks in advance!!!
kao_smile.gif

choc,
I read the words mee goreng, makes me drool now. hahaha...

annelise,
Yap... He enjoyed himself at Bintan
happy.gif

For the brand, I forgotten. I know it's a square glass bottle, which was on offer last week in NTUC :p. I never try that brand before one. Oopss.. sorry... my reply is too late... :p

nancy,
Will giving beans cause wind in babies? My DS is 10 months, can I give him beans now?

gohong,
Wah... your maid seems very good. So fast can cook for the family already.

Starz,
Congratulations! That's fast!

Gohong,
I m staying at Admiralty.

Starz,
Congrats!!

Btw, I am also 8 weeks preggie, hehe! Actually wanted to wait till after 3 months then announce but since Starz annouce liao I can't keep the secret anymore ;)

Mine is also an 'accident'. Din realise it will be so fertile after delivery ;p

My EDD is mid Nov.

KRISJOY!!!!!!
OMG!!!!! hehehehehe... i also kena "accident".. somemore is "freak accident"... cos honestly i swear, i only "done it" <font color="ff0000">ONCE</font>...
are u excited??? btw, who's taking care of ur princess now??? got any new photos to share??? i dunno why... am so excited for u but not excited for myself....

Hi Krisjoy & starz, congratulations to both of you!!! Hey starz, we're always chatting about other things besides cooking - dun be paiseh leh! This is so exciting, last year both of you also gave birth within one or two months from each other, right? Wah, I feel like having another bb too!

Starz,
Thanks!! Ya, they say we are very fertile for the first 6 months. My hubby was very sure he pulled out in time but somehow one sperm managed to swim in..hahaha! Oh no, we are now discussing our bedroom secrets! Ha!

I feel happy for you too! We are both preggie around the same time twice! My gal is looked after by my baby sitter. I intend to get a maid later otherwise I will be broke to enagage 2 baby sitters! What about u?

Annelise,
Thanks for your wishes! The baby dust is sure infectious ya!
happy.gif

Krisjoy,
Congratulations! Wah... like that also strike. haha...

Starz,
Wah... once only strike already ah... I still breastfeeding, no menses yet till now... U stopped breastfeeding already?

So excited for both of you. Preggy at the same time again. I also want another baby, but dunno when.. hee...

Wow starz n krisjoy..CONGRATS!!!! Are you gals still breastfeeding? I am also trying for another baby but if I ganna now, my confinement period might be during CNY so I am thinking of taking a 3 months break. I think I will 'mati' without a CL!!!

Have not been posting in this thread as I hv nothing much to contribute. But I am still actively reading the postings.

Wah, like that u gals can really close shop liao loh, like our discussion long ago. hehehehe

lyn,
Thanks for your wishes! Let nature takes it course bah!
happy.gif
I actually wanted another one at the end of this year but since got it then also good lah!

Hi all!

Congrats Starz & Krisjoy!!

wow solid one time also kena!
hehe.. me say want to plan but no action also no result lah...
Btw how's the boss reaction ?

Just came back from the trip today.
It was fun, we enjoyed it very much esp my ds1.

The place is quite nice, the staffs are friendly also they have tight security too.
The only one complaint is too many mosquito & other insects. My ds1 hand 'bengkak' like little pig hand, and my ds2, face got do-re-mi 3 red dots, dun know if is from mosquitto or ants.

We also eat lots of nice food there. Their seafood is not as fresh or great. But we enjoy the local ze-char like the hokkien noodles, xiang-di beehoon, smooth egg hor fun...

One of the nite we ordered the sambal petai with sotong, then another nite we tried the honey pork is good! it taste abit like char siao, but the meat is tender more like gu-lo meat in honey sauce instead of tomato sauce.

Ok got to go, will upload the photo soon!

thanks cookies for uploading the picnic photo
happy.gif

Hi gals,
Long time no chat! Staying at my mum's place for these 2 weeks so I have limited access to the Internet.

Krisjoy, Starz,
CONGRATS!!!!! Heee, you gals first tme strike liao... so fertile!
wink.gif

So excited for you gals... and at the same time too, just like your previous pregnancies!
Keep us updated as your pregnancy progresses
happy.gif

cupcake and Littlecat,
Thanks for your wishes!

cupcake,
no worries, you can chit chat other things with us other than food
happy.gif
I did not breastfeed as it was not successful plus I gave it up...ya, I think it is a good idea to plan around CNY otherwise u need to pay extra for CL and miss out on all the good food!

Littlecat,
Where did u go? Your description of the food makes me salivate leh ;p

Anyway, now still in office becos of migration to new accounting system. sianz..

Happy Holiday to all!

Sophie,
Thanks! I was wondering why were you so quiet these days
happy.gif
How's your little princess?

Just read Today's paper that Zoe Tay is pregnant again with her 2nd baby...

Hi all,

Pics of my dinner cooked by my domestic helper again..

Thursday Dinner

Lemon Chicken
752748.jpg

Stir-fried Veggies
752749.jpg

Fried Fish In Sauce
752750.jpg

Lao Huang Gua Soup
752751.jpg

Friday Dinner

Vegetarian Bee Hoon
752752.jpg

Vegetarian Curry
752753.jpg

Mock Prawn in Sweet & Sour Sauce
752754.jpg

My maid's speciality..

Sambal Ikan Billis
752755.jpg

Dishes contributed by my inlaws..

Mock Nghoh Hiang
752756.jpg

Fried Tofu
752757.jpg

Starz and Krisjoy,
Congratulations!!! ;) All the golden piggy!
Heee... our next outing will have to be babies and preggy friendly.

Littlecat,
quick think of something suitable for our must outing. ;)
Thanks for the mosquito patches, will pay u when we next meet.
Remember i told u thinking of stopping at one.
sigh... now heard my nephew who is 5 years old now and only child said to the mother when the mother ask him to go home 'its not my fault that i got no brothers or sisters to play with me, i want to stay here and play with them (other children)'. sigh... quite pitiful hor.

Annelise,
luckily u discover the mould and yr dd2 did not eat any of it. how's the birthday celebration? must be fun!
heee.... when will u try for no. 3?

Lyn,
actually no mense can still get preggy.
have got friend that got preggy think abt 2 months after she delivered, when menses not back yet.

Gohong,
yummy food again
happy.gif

Choc,
didi food sounds nice leh. how old is didi now?
how's yr dd1 and dd2 doing?

krisjoy, congratz!!!

I am envy and salute u ladies to hv a 2nd one so soon. me still coward.

Hope tis week can post some pics , intend to cook abit while i m home tis wk.

Hi Sophie,
How's your little one doing?

Gohong,
Wah... 10 course dinner by your helper. She's so good... Looks very appetising.

When will our next outing be? hee... hope more families can join in
happy.gif
I dun mind the Botanical Gardens again though
happy.gif

Hi ladies,
Gohong
Wow, ur maid can really cook. I never hv such luck with maids. All come untrained in cooking. hiaz

My dd got bitten by a bug in between her eyes yesterday. Swell quite abit, now look abit alienish....any suggestions to ease the swell faster?

Gohong,
i envy u with such a luck with maid.

Cupcake,
usually i use aloe vera for my dd if she bitten by mossie or bug. work for her so far.

Hi everyone, it was a busy weekend for me - hosting a kid's party is really tiring! I planned to have 3 party games but had to cut down to one due to time constraints! I was the game master, baker, photographer and balloon twister all rolled into one! But it was good fun, haven't felt so young in a long time!

Hi gohong, wow! what a feast! So happy for you that you've found a good helper around the house!

Hi LittleCat, thanks for sharing your lovely holiday pics! The place looks really nice and cosy! The boys look like they had a fantastic time!

Hi cookie, no lah, not having no.3 cos hb is worried about my health - after 2 very tough pgs my blood count is quite low!

Hi cupcake, I use aloe vera gel for bug bites - it helps reduce the swelling quite fast cos' it's very soothing and cooling.

Btw, here's the cake I made for my dd's bday - took me the whole afternoon to do the 3 princesses!

754987.jpg

Cecelia n annelise
Will try to get hold of aloe gel. Thanks

Wow annelise
your cake v nice n so pro looking. Ehh, my gal name is a short form of ur gal's name...hahahaha Gwen.

annlee - will ask my maid for the recipe for the lemon chicken then post it here oki..

lyn - yup..the food is as good as it looks
happy.gif

cupcake - yup..it's really a blessings..i got myself a all-rounder..she can do all the housework, babysitting (i have twin gers) and cooking by herself..i only need to help abit here and there
happy.gif
and it's my first maid..

cecelia - if you need a maid, i can refer you to the maid agency that i got my maid from
happy.gif

annelise - i'm happy to have my maid around too..by the way, the cake that you bake is very nice
happy.gif

Hi everyone !

I HEARD the GOOD NEWS ! Starz and Kris CONGRATS ! Happy for you two !

Kris and Cookie, now didi is 7 and half months liao! I'm venturing all sorts of food for him, like durians, five grain porridge with pork liver and add some ground ikan bilis.. hehe.. unlike dd1, I think I only fed her plain porridge with carrots and dried scallops(as flavouring only)!

Hey Anne, your cake is superb !! You really velly clever leh !

Hey gohong, wah.. your helper can really cook, you are a very good supervisor and trainer !

Eh lyn and cat, JIA YOU ! I see lots of preggie women this yr.. Still can remember the joy when I delivered this little didi!

Hey cupcake, my dds get very bad swelling on their eye area aft mozzie bites too ! My sis helper taught me to use ice to subside the swell, it helps.. aft that, then you apply aloe vera gel

Hey cookie, my dd1 and 2 are fine.. keeping me very busy, just made kitty eggs for them this morning.. they were so thrilled.. if I made one of Annelise's cakes for them, they'll be so happy that they'll faint! So when you planning for number 2 ? hehe..

How's your little pui pui ? Are you still bf him ?

gohong, wow your maid superb leh can cook so many food!
Is she an ex-singapore or ex-malaysia or first time working here?

krisjoy, we went Port Diskson, the resort is really nice, 5 stars standard.

Annelise, wow your cake looks so nice!
happy.gif

your girls so lucky mommy can bake nice cake!
My ds1 told me this is the best holiday! wow like that difficult to match his next expectation liao..

choc, i miss those moment when the little one moving, kicking inside stomach hehe!

cupcake my ds2 got bitten 3 red dot on forehead during the trip, i dare not do anything leh, just leave it. It is getting better now.
if yours too close to eye, think better dun apply anything? cos scare they will rub leh...

Just discovered last week that the auntie feed my 5 months old boy with my 5 years old boy's food... faintz...
The maid also told me that the aunt will give adult food like fried fish or anything she is eating to him. And when the pacifier drop on the flow she will pick up use mouth to suck and give him....yiackkkk!

I decided to leave the maid with baby at home, at least for a while...

choc06 - haha..she came with all the cooking, housekeeping and babysitting skills included
happy.gif
which means almost zero training and supervision required..

little cat - my maid is an ex-indonesian and ex-singapore maid so she already has prior experience in housework, bbsitting and cooking..

Back