Cooking Tips & Recipe

hi ladies,

Stressful week for me. My gal fell ill again, started with high fever and tummy on Sunday, then now with flu and cough. Last night she had nightmare and started crying and screaming twice in the middle of the night. Can I chk, when they have nightmare, are we supposed to wake them up or just let them be?

Is it better to on ceiling fan or aircon when kids are ill? My gal seems to develop dripping nose when I on the ceiling fan. hiaz

Hi Lyn,my nieces just made the almond cookies with other friends. I tasted them, quite yummy

Almond Cookies
Ingredients:
Butter 114 g
Sugar 45 g
Bread Flour 140 g
Almond Slice 50 g
Baking Soda 1/3 tsp
Vanilla Essence As needed
Salt 1 g
Method:
Preheat the oven to 170℃
Soft the butter in room temperature
Method
Beat the butter, salt and sugar until creamy and fluffy
mix the flour , the baking soda and almond
Don’t over mix the dough otherwise the cookie became too hard.
Roll it up and freeze for about over 30 mins or until firm

Chocolate Cookies
Butter 100 g
Sugar 45 g
Brown Sugar 45 g
Egg 20 g
Flour 135 g
Cocoa Powder 18 g
Chocolate Chips 60 g
Baking Soda ¼ Tsp
Method:
Shift the flour, baking soda with cocoa powder
Blend the butter with sugar
Add egg once at a time until fluffy
Fold in the flour mixture and fold in chocolate chips
Rub the dough into a 10 g ball and press with your thumb
Bake in a 170℃ preheated oven for about 12 mins until golden
this makes 42

lyn,
I have some ideas on how to make tempeh more tasty, but have not tried them yet...

1. Make a black sauce with shredded onions and veges then pour over it after it's baked. In thsi case, bake with a bit of oil and not butter cos I think butter prob won't go too well with the black sauce.

2. Make curry sauce and pour over it... I saw a nasi padang stall in Arab Street serving it like that.

Sorry... no cookie input from me cos I don't really bake much! But Choc's recipe looks good and easy!

Wow, your maid can make Burmese food?! I love Lap Pat Dok, a kind of tea leaf salad. Ate it once in San Francisco, but hard to get it in Singapore.

Hope your dad stays well and strong till his op!

muffin,
Your poor dd! Chinese docs normally say try not to turn on aircon when sick, but western docs will say make baby as comfy as possible.

Sometime ago, I did some reading on why using fan cause drippy nose, cos my dh always gets it. It says normally it's some kind of allergy i.e. the wind kicks up the dust and then the allergic person reacts by having drippy nose. But the fan itself should not cause drippy nose. Cos I never have this problem. And yes, dh has sensitive nose.

As for aicon/fan, if baby is sick, I normally use fan, but blow it away from her. Very hot and uncomfortable esp. if she's having fever, but no choice, I prefer her to sweat it out so fever can go down by itself rather than always relying on fever med. I only give fever med if it hits 38. If not, I just sponge.

cookie, choc,
Yep, milk gives Soph phlegm too, be it FM or fresh milk.
Read in those health book by Bragg that milk is mucous forming... jialat, now I'm really wondering what to wean Soph onto!

Choc,
I just stocked up on the Probiotics from iherb.com
It's so much cheaper than buying in SG... costs < S$20 per bottle whereas Nature's Farm selling at $50+.
You may wanna consider buying from US if you have a VPOST account... can save lots more esp. if you're buyign your garlic pill too.

choc,
Can I just beat the butter with hand? With a fork?
Sorry ah... very stupid question. I hardly bake. Last time, I bake at my mum's place and just use her Kenwood major... I dun have all these things at my place.

huskie,
Good idea on the sauce for tempeh. I will try it one day
happy.gif
hee... last time I tried to pan fry, then cut and stir fry with vegetables. Not very tasty. I ate it at nasi padang stall and tasted very nice.
Cannot get "Lap pat dok" in Singapore is cannot get the ingredients or cannot get it ready made? When the maid more settled, will advance to the next stage to ask her to go marketing with me and cook what she can. Currently, I gotta get used to her and she gotta get used to my style.

lyn,
Actually cut and panfrying tempeh should eb quite tasty leh. I always do that the nasi padang style, but must use the sweet black sauce, shallots, sliced chili, cubed taukua and french beans.

Lap Pat Dok... can get at Peninsula Plaza... I ate there once, but just not as nice as the one in SF. Not sure if can get ingredients in SG cos I don't know how to make it.... maybe can get the ingredients in Peninsula Plaza.

huskie
hiaz, she slimmed down so much after her month long bout of illnesses. see already v sad. My house uses ceiling fan and she sleeps on the flr, maybe thats y. My pd also told me not to on aircon when she hv flu as the low humidity will encourage more mucus to be formed. Just have to feed medicine and monitor.

May I know what does probiotics help in?

huskie,
my gynae is the same as previous. yah...c-sect again, can't run away haiz...

choc,
I don't think I'm that healthy leh...unlike you and huskie, will make lunch. For me it's a habit eating out for lunch, just like to eat this way, can change but I don't want, habit leh..

Think hong zao is also known as red yeast or red fermented glutinous rice. But don't know why the chinese word is different, hong2 zao1 and hong2 qu3? Recently the news reported that hong2 qu3 can reduce cholesterol, the elderly took the pills to reduce cholesterol level, very effective!
My ds1 is going to primary 1 next year, now waiting to register.

cookie,
think the best way to reduce phelgm is to let your boy vomit out the phelgm as much as possible and tiao like what joy says. I understand the changing bedsheet, protector etc...when they vomit. There's once I gotta change twice per night or 4 times a week.

This weekend bringing my mum for buffet to celebrate mother's day. Hee...can eat again...

Joy,
your ds study in Tao Nan right? Read some mommies said is very stressful studying there.

lyn,
how's your burmese maid? Can she speaks simple English?

Hi lyn, think can use wooden spoon to beat the butter, but got to use lots of energy leh.. I let my p6 niece use wooden spoon to beat the butter with sugar(previous recipe) and she got so tired that I got to take over. But, they had fun doing it..

I did sushi with them once and they liked it too, this holiday baking will be bread rolls.

Now my house in in pandemonium as it's marking day today!
sad.gif
My niece and dds are running around chased by didi.. Took out all the cooking "masak" to play..

Husk, what's the website for the probiotics ? What bact strains are there in this probiotic ? was told the one named acidophilus infantilis or something is good

ann, my dd2 is same age as your ds1, little cat's ds also the same age
happy.gif

Yesterday, for dinner, I fried chicken drumstick mushroom( ji1 tui3 gu) with kai lan , baked salmon in terriyaki sauce with onions, fry big beansprouts with tau kua.

This morning had macgriddles for bf, quite nice, it's pancakes with sausage and eggs..

huskie
what is bragg?

cookiemonster
i also add sesame oil. oh and can add a dash of hua diao jiu also
happy.gif
have never tried with gou qi zi, will do so the next time!

is everyone here a working mum? really disciplined to be cooking! clap clap. i'm in my 31st week now (with baby #1) and REALLY tired all the time so we have tingkat dinners but try to cook over the weekends cos i really love cooking
happy.gif
but hubby not a fan of washing up haha.

seems like most of you have small children, i try to contribute one recipe ok? it's something simple that i usually have when not feeling well, think kids will like too. apologies in advance if it's too simple for everyone's standards!
blush.gif

CHICKEN MARCARONI
- chicken stock (you can use chicken bones + 1 chicken breast, or pre-prepared stock from making one big pot and frozen)
- alphabet marcaroni
- carrots, diced

if doing from scratch:
- blanch chicken bones and chicken breasts in boiling water for about 5 min
- boil new pot of water then add in blanched bones and breasts. one water boils, put to low heat and simmer for 1.5 hours
- remove bones and breasts, throw in carrots till almost soft then add in marcaroni/alphabet marcaroni
- serve with shredded chicken from breasts (let it cool down first!)

if for adults, can also add some fried shallots

Joy,
Children are really facing a lot of stress as compared to during our times.
Don’t know if I will become kan chiong spider when my children turn to take exam.

I insisted on no medication and just let the boy cough and vomit out the phlegm.
I believe its better to purge out the phlegm (toxic) and let the body fight the virus by itself first.
But after 3 days of constant pressure and nagging fm in laws and husband to give cough medicine, I gave in.
They think that I am a cruel mum that let the boy cough and vomit like that.
Sigh……
Tried the tuina and yu guo. But did not see much improvement, so did not continue.
Maybe I should feel the boy with some cordycep when he recovers fm this bout of cough.

Choc,
Heee…. We are really sinful hor.
But consoling myself, it’s the only time that we can gorge ourselves silly.
Have ask maid to make the apple and fig soup once a week for a start.
Hope it helps.
Maybe, I am being too adventurous. I actually fed him some cold milk fm mcdonalds on Sunday.
Perhaps, that how the cough started.
Hee.. yr dd so cute. Can still ask why u so anxious on the exams.
Will u be planning any holiday program for no 1 and 2?
Btw, there a contest for supermum on asiaone website.
Must ask yr husband to nominate u!

Huskie,
Don’t be overly stress by others comment.
My in laws also cannot understand why I insist on not adding salt and sugar to ds porridge.
And I forbid them to give him cookies, sweets, soft drinks, ribena etc.
I also cannot understand why whenever ds not feeling well my mil will ask to feed him glucose water. I rejected it of col.
But after seeing that ds can still enjoy his porridge, at least they show less displeasure.
Heee… they must be thinking I am a fussy dil.
Yr nephew probably the only baby at yr parents place, so he is used to the attention.
And when Sophie is there, his attention is shared. So probably that makes him jealous.
Thanks for the info on Hou Ning san and Nutritional Yeast. Will go find the organic4less shop in bt batok.

Lyn,
Hope yr dad operation will be a smooth and successful one.
And speedy recovery also.
A so cute… like to cute birthday cake. 
Heee…. Maybe u can bake him many cupcakes to cut.
We will be going for the birthday bash. Will see yr family also 
The cookie recipe that Van posted before are quite nice and easy to make.
Maybe u can try that out.
For beating butter, u can buy those cheap whisk which cost a few dollars fm supermarket or market.
But quite tiring. And also leave the butter outside the fridge till soft before beating. I find it easier.

Heee… u can ask yr maid to cook mo hing ga (their version of laksa, which is quite nice), the redbean pork.
Like what huskie says, the tea leaf salad is nice. They actually eat a lot of salad and raw stuff.
Have tried their raw prawn salad, raw pork salad, raw fish salad while in Burma. And of cos, tummyache and ‘detox’ there also.

Muffin,
Heard that its not so good to let children sleep on the floor especially if u are staying on ground floor.
Cos there is ‘shi qi’ (moisture) that can get into the body. Unless its parquet floor.
But its old wives tale which I am not sure if its true.
Usually if nightmare, heard boy crying. I will just carry and pat pat him to sleep again.

Ann,
Heee… which buffet u going to? I am craving for cakes today. Jia luk….

Pinkbunny,
Hope u will like the added with gou qi zi version.

All are supermum here. ;)
Not everyone here is ftwm.
But am one. Hee.. but this mum here cooks only once a week.
u are 31weeks now, so due in july?
Looking forward to having yr baby in yr arms?
Think u must be looking forward to cooking for yr baby as well. 
Thanks for yr recipe. Heee… good for quick one pot meal.

cookie,
no, you're not cruel lah.. In fact the chinese physician I brought my son says must let the phlegm out, if not no matter what you give, the phlegm is still there and not cure. But this help on my sons when they're having cough. Cough until 1 month, give so much medicine and not cure, finally vomit out the phlegm for 2-3 days and cure.
I gave my sons cordysep. Really help for my ds1 as he does not cough for months already, touchwood!! As for my ds2, he seldom get sick so can tell whether is it benefit for him or not.

hey...I'm also craving for cakes kekeke...think all preggie mommies is the same, want durian, cakes hee... sometimes I'm craving for chendol or ice kachang cos weather so hot. This time I'm not going for hotel buffet so no cakes for me. Going to have dimsum+seafood buffet at TungLok.

wah.. you ladies talk about burmese food. so suaku don't know what's all these. Never try them before. The taste is it similar to vietnamese food?

huskie,
Oh... tempeh need so many ingredients ah...
hmm... Agent told me not to bring my maid to Peninsula plaza. Later she get sweet talked and wanna resign. Probably, if I got time alone, will go there shop on my own.

annlee,
She cannot speak much. But getting better. And she is learning pretty fast. I realised she will read on her own at nite. I write and she understands. I demonstrates to her too. She will tell me whatever she dunno, so it's fine for me. I dun like it when dunno also tell me yes that kind. At least I can see she has a loving heart for kids
happy.gif
That's very important to me.

Wow... buffet... so nice...

Okie dokie.. going out later... gotta go.. catch up the posts again...

zzzcookie,
hee.. I dun really like their raw salad leh... I like the mohingga though
happy.gif
I think mohingga need fish sauce.

zzzcookie,
Now then I remember.. Every meal is raw salad first. Maybe my maid eat very little cos no raw salad. I am worried she will get thinner ah...

pinkbunny,
Congrats!!! Bet you're anxious to see your baby, but do enjoy your pregnancy... I miss those days when I can feel dd moving in my tummy!
happy.gif

Thanks for the macaroni recipe. I love fried shallots on top of soupy stuff, but never know how to fry them properly, so always buy the ready made soaked in oil type.

Bragg is this seasoning - taste like Maggie sauce. http://www.bragg.com/products/liquidaminos.html

Are you a FTW-MTB or a SAH-MTB?

muffin,
You dd sleeps on floor? Maybe that's why more dusty?
Probiotics... eh, heee, ask Choc!
She's the one who recommended me to get for Soph... think it's friendly intestinal flora but there're many different strains, so certain strains helps in immunity.

annlee,
I only tried Burmese food in HK and SF before, but they're authentic Burmese food opened by immigrants.
I find their curry more like Northerm Thai style, and their other dishes (exclu salad) more like Chinese style.
There was once we were in the restaurant in HK, then I smelled somthing funny and asked my friend if he changed his socks that morning. Then my other Burmese friend said it's actually from the smell of a dish he ordered - some stewed pork with bamboo shoots
biggrin.gif

lyn,
The nasi goreng not that many ingredients leh... just that few, like the Malay stall type
happy.gif

Your maid sounds good - how old is she?

cookie,
I also believe in purging the phlegm out, but coughing to a certain extent only. Cos prolonged coughing and if phlegm don't come out, it may become infected in the lungs, so must watch out for high fevers.
It's good your ds can cough and vomit out the phlegm. Soph did that before when she was 7-8mths old, and after vomitting out the bowlful of phlegm, she'll sit there smiling away! Guess they know what's good for them
happy.gif

Eh, you craving for cakes? What kind?
I just tried Jane's Cake Station choc cake last week... not bad, but I still prefer Awfully Choc cos more bitter
happy.gif

Choc,
I bought this one:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&amp;pid=-3073252056694488767
I believe the ingredient infant M-63 is the one you're talking about... cos I checked tallied it with this website http://www.naturesonedirect.com/prsu.html
On this 2nd webbie, click on Nutrition Facts and you can see it says "Bifidobacterium infantis M-63"

If you do decide to order from iherb.com, you can use this referral code "MUN871" for a US$5 discount at checkout.
How this works is that every new customer gets a code to refer friend to buy, and the friend can get a $5 discount, and I get a 4% credit or something like that.
So after you've made your own purchase, you will also get your own referral code to pass to your other friends for their $5 discount and accumulate your own 4% credits.
Win-win situation for all
happy.gif

I'm really shocked at the amount of savings from this order... spent S$90+ for 2 bottles of this probiotic, 3 bottles of organic shampoo, 2 bottles Sambucol &amp; 1 tube organic toothpaste.
S$90+ can't even buy me 2 whole bottles of the Kyo-dophilus at Nature Farm full retail price!

annlee

Ya, she is from TN school....stressful as in the competition is really fierce esp after p2 streaming last year. Teacher also screamed at them pretty often as she has certain expecation to be met too....so everyone is stressful and every kid in her class is so smart, as in perfect score is the score, if not miss by half mark will be the scoring for all subjects.

Hey pinkbunny, thanks for sharing your recipe. My kids love macaroni soup too ! I like to add fried shallots plus dong chai to make the soup more tasty!
I am a SAHM and I started off always cooking 'rubbish' and experimenting dishes. I should thank this forum for all the nice and warm mummies for sharing their recipes
happy.gif

Like what husk said the other time, i also find san remo's mac harder , as compared to Maca brand

Muffin, I read from Mind your body on the benefits of probiotics. Good intestinal health equals to good immunity. Ds has been taking that mixed in his milk for a yr, he seldom coughs as compared to my 2 dds.. Dunno to attribute that to probiotics or what, and his appetite is good.
My hb and I have sensitive nose and throat, so we are very prone to coughs and respiratory tract problems, so doc says our kids have inherited that
sad.gif

There are few strains of acidophilus , all are friendly intestinal bac

huskie, choc
the organic shop lady I went to recommend me http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&amp;pid=4700 she keep recommend me this product like what choc mentioned good intestinal health equals to good immunity, and the food that we eat can absorb better if we got healthy intestine etc... it definitely benefit the baby when I consume as well. Good for us and children if they're having diarrhoea. I find kyo is good too, more different types of good bac.
The brand that I bought is also ex, $57 per bottle.

I put fried shallot on macaroni soup too...it changes the taste totally.

Joy,
oh no...I thought the student only loaded with homework. Perfect score is the score,my goodness...your ds must be very smart!

Annlee

I would not say my DD is smart but I keep a very close supervision on her work...yesterday she told me her class highest scores for this SA1 chinese is 44.5/45 and compo is perfect score......From this year onwards, I really not surprised to hear high scores in her class.

This school can be in quite great stress.....really depend on how want a kid to be in that school.....

good morning supermums, happy mothers day!!! i play cheat, also celebrate this year hehe

cookie,
yes due in early july but doc says she's a bit big (uh oh TAF club!) so may come earlier. but 'motherly instinct' already told me that somehow hehe

huskie,
thanks for bragg url! wow never knew such a thing existed. what does it taste like? the packaging kind of looks like apple cider vinegar. me too i love those fried shallots and gave up actually frying them cos so troublesome so i buy the normal ready made ones now hehe. lazy.

would absolutely love to be SAHM. i love my job but honestly it is driving me crazy and it's really not a job for mothers. give up alot of weekends and after work hours. so if i can't get a transfer to another dept then have to seriously consider

yes very excited to see my daughter. hehe these days she is waking me up with forceful kicks cos she's afraid of thunder

choc,
no worries. i love to cook too and it's nice to find a thread with fellow lovers of food! the cooking part at least hehe

huskie,
Nowadays I ask my maid to stir fry vegetables with miso paste from cold storage
happy.gif
Quite nice... I suppose miso got more nutrients rite? I have stopped using soya sauce in my vegetables now, cos there's preservatives.

pinkbunny,
You are very cheerful
happy.gif
I seldom meet people who love their jobs. Probably you are the first one...

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all!

pinkbunny,
Which line are you in?
I also loved my job, but same thing, it's not meant for mums, cos I work till 9+ most nights, and when there're events/deadlines, can be till midnight or through the night. Also travelled a lot.
That's partly why I decided to become a SAHM now.

Bragg taste just like Maggie seasoning... no preservatives and coloring... just amino acid made from non-GMO soybeans.

lyn,
Yep, miso is so nutritious... I also use it a fair bit. I like it smeared on salmon/cod and baked.

Hi mummies

Good morning...

Huskie
Thanks for sharing bragg...where can you buy it.

Lyn
You also used miso paste?My friend talked about it yesterday.which brand did you buy?

Exam stress
Exam finally over and now its results time. One of my gal class mates actually called up and compard marks and when she knows that she BETTER IN ONE OF THE PAPER BY ONE MARK,she straight away asked, you got no tuition...My gal answer NO, she was like in a stage of shock.....and quickly hang up the phone and forgot to ask about the other paper....wonder is kid mirror image of the parent....sigh...

COOKING
I cannot be too adventurous in my cooking as my gal is very FIXED when come to eating...for veg, she only eat brocoli, kai lan,long bean and that it is.....quite headache...i minimise fried food as she gets heaty very easily....just before exam, she brought corn flakes to school daily and ended up sick big time.....Just imagine, I have to nag at her or fight with her just to make sure she drink water.....

lyn,
Miso is nice, always make the soup for my sons udon. Have tried organic miso, doesn't taste as good as those from cold storage. Some miso contains msg from cold storage.

pinkbunny,
when is your edd?
Bragg is good... my younger son prefered this than marmite. Think will switch marmite to nutrition yeast recommended from huskie.

Joy,
why not try to mince the veggies and mix with other food that your gal likes, nutrition level might be lesser but still as good and she might won't know what veggies is it and also won't pick it. I learned it from a Taiwan chef from TV when she mentioned her son does not eat veggies and this is the way to make them eat the greens.

cookie,
You're expecting boy or girl?

Hello ladies,
Happy late mother's day to all
happy.gif

Hey pinkbunny, so nice to be able to celebrate your first mother's day
happy.gif
Do you like mee tai mak ?It's my children's all time favourite too.. Can use the ingredients you used for mac soup

All these talk about braggs, makes it want to get one bot to try.

Hey Joy, your dd's sch is indeed very competitive, stress , stress! You are her best teacher, I believe in constant work daily. I'm having the problem of forcing dd1 to drink water too! Her 500ml water bottle always comes back half filled. Now is the chicken pox season, got to keep the children's temp down.

Joy, how about potatoes and carrots ? Does your dd like them ? Can make ABC soup with onions, wolfberries and red dates. Or fry diced carrots, diced potatoes, peas and luncheon meat together. Eat it with rice , it's very appetizing
happy.gif

Hey cookie, pinkbunny and ann,
Are you all taking any "bu" for your pregnancy? Saw a recipe on making chicken essence by the "dripping" method. The essence looks bu and yummy.

Making papaya, peanuts and pork ribs soup for lunch.

Hi all

Thanks for all the suggestions...you all are really a bunch of helpful mums....

Choc
Ya, very strong competition till am so stress myself. I am feeling so worn out...Not sure today she going to tell me how many kids hit perfect score for math exam....i will not be surprised....

My gal has very bad chang wei, and yishi asked me not to give wolfberries.....

Do you all draw up a food plan for your kids?For me, I cook potatos , carrots stew, soup etc, watrer cress etc but like variety is not there

Yesterday, I even minced meat and put on mashroom or toufu for her....but just like the mix is so boring....

hehe lyn, thanks

huskie, i'm in retail. but the back office part. but like you, whenever there are events, can work till dunno day or night. many times i go home and my hubby already asleep, and then got to wake up before him. sigh. that's my biggest reason for wanting to be SAHM. so i won't miss out on my daughter's growing years. sigh.

wow wow bragg sounds like a good thing!! must go check it out.

choc, yes i love mee tai mak!!! i'm making my own black chicken soup once every 2-3 weeks or so. anyone wants the recipe? very easy one. can also drink during that time of month
happy.gif

mummies, just an idea - maybe can invite your kids to help you with food prep! i remember helping my granny last time (but i think i was making more of a mess than actually helping la) and i felt very useful hehe

Joy,
You can get Bragg from healthfood stores or organic section of NTUC.

Woah, your dd's school sounds stressful! This really reminds me that I should enjoy my "baby time" with Soph now!

Choc,
Yeah, you should try Bragg. It's really not bad. Yesterday I made chicken with blank fungus - all I did was season chicken with sesame oil, pepper and Bragg, and dh says it's very yummy. Although I wonder if the organic black fungus made a difference.

Choc, pinkbunny,
I also make "dripped" chicken essence quite often. Mostly use kampung chicken, but if feeling very tired, then will use black chicken. I put wolfberries and red dates into the dripping bowl and the essence tastes really good.

What are your recipes like?

annlee,
I bought a pack of organic brown rice instant miso to try out today... quite good for instant stuff actually. Cos Soph is a soup queen, so sometimes not enough time to make my soup for lunch, then I use this pack. I made it really diluted though... using half the pack for the amount of water.
Brand is called The Brown Rice Shop.... it's got ground brown rice with miso in it, so the soup smells quite "pang", like those brown rice tea at Jap restaurant
happy.gif

Huskie

Thanks for the info.How does bragg tastes like?I remember i changed my oyster sauce to abalone sauce, hubby straight away do not like the taste...so just wonder how bragg taste...thanks again...

Oh yes, do enjoy each stage that you are going thr with little soph as there is no return after it passed...Am trying to enjoy my re learning process with my gal too....Yesterday, saw her two languages paper and am glad that she finally see some lights in CHINESE...Its my dream all this while as chinese is something that I love and I hope to see the interest that she has in it too.....

Mummies
What is the menu today?

Good day all

Joy,
Bragg taste like Maggie seasoning. There is a small spray bottle that you can find at some places... costs about $3-$4... can buy to try out first. But don't bother using the spray cap... it sprays out ridiculous droplets, very slow!
happy.gif

Wow, your dd starting to do well in Chinese? Chinese is really not easy! My hubby's Chinese is real bad, so I hardly speak much Chinese at home too. Must make it a point to speak to Soph more in Chinese.
Oh, I recently bought a "Di Zhi Gui" book at Popular. Comes with 2 CDs which explain and gives simple examples of what the teachings are all about. Very good!

Menu for today's lunch:
- Baked codfish with cheese &amp; couscous with raisins
- Millet porridge with vege and threadfin
- Si Shen Soup

A bit more than normal cos friend is coming over for lunch with her dd, so first item is for adult and porridge for kids. Kids can also eat our food if they want to.

Good morning all !
Yesterday, the papaya soup I made was sweet , creamy and tasty. MIL bought it from an organic farm in Malaysia. I dunno whether it's sweet because it's organic. I tried the ones from the market in Singapore, it didn't taste as good.

Huskie, i must go check NTUC for the braggs. For the essence of chicken, do you have to chop the black chicken, as in smash the bones a little before you make the essence ? FIL told me to chop up the chicken and use the back of a chopper to "tock" the bones a bit.
Do you use the inverted bowl method or a special dun zhong with a separate "dripper" ?
Haven't made that before..

Hey pinkbunny, what herbs do you boil/dun with the black chicken ? Can I have the recipe? Nowadays, I always make veg soup for my kids, so forgot what kind of herbs pg women can take..

Good idea to engage the children in cooking and baking, I'll normally wait for no. 3 to be asleep first, cos he 'll want a hand in it .. haha.. Can also teach the kids abouit units of measurement
happy.gif

Today's menu is porridge with rolled oats and sweet potatoes. Dishes will be fried dou miao and some left over soy sauce chicken and canned chye sim.

Joy, next yr, I'll have to tackle chinese compo with dd1, the thought of it scares me :0

Joy,
Really stressful for your dd and you. Going to be my turn soon. Told hb about what you mentioned and he reply oh no... he told me in advance not to stress my ds1 when he score 60 or 70 marks in exam, my reply is no problem...as long you want him to be the last in the class. He always think that primary school is like a place for them to have fun and learn abit.

hee...you mention carrot stew, thanks for it...really don't know what to cook today and now decided to cook chicken stew with carrot, potatoes, broccoli and onion, maybe will add some tau kwa in it.

About Bragg, in fact it taste exactly like maggi soya sauce.

huskie,
ha...soph is a soup queen, same as my ds2. Sometimes dare not let him see the soup as he will drink them all, wants more and don't want the rice.
Your brown rice miso sounds really good. Will check around my area to see whether they carry the brand.

During my 1st and 2nd confinement, my CL and MIL make dripping bowl chicken essence for me. My MIL chicken essence is really good, is thick, dark brown in colour and super oily, I suppose that we must take the whole chicken essence including the oil too. My CL chicken essence looks very diluted and tasteless. Will check with MIL how she do it.

annlee, choc06,huskie
Nice seeing your reply...are you all on msn as well....

Annlee
My hubby thinks like your hubby. When I told him if I do not push her princess, she will be like a lift, press to level 8 will go level eight and just stop there....he is so arrogant and say, hey maybe she is naturally smart...i almost faint...I know best what my gal can do.....

CHOC6
Compo is not difficult.Initially, she scores like 12 to 14 out of 20,but with the right method of teaching, she actually top the school with 18/20.Am amused too....

These days, p1 to p3 so far, if her marks fall below 90marks, she herself will get panic and I remember she cried when her last time her marks fall below 85.

wow huskie you are so hardworking! your lunch is so nutritious!!!

i don't really know what you mummies mean by dripping bowl of chicken essence leh?

joy can you share your carrot/chicken stew recipe? yum i love carrots!!!

choc, my gynae advises against taking red dates and dangshen during pregnancy - he says it might cause internal bleeding. since i'm so pantang, i just listen hehe.

black chicken soup recipe:
1 black chicken, skin removed, cut into pieces, and use back of chopper to "tok" everything
blanche in boiling water for 5 minutes
then throw blanched chicken with 1 soup spoon worth of gou qi zi into double boiler and leave on low heat, simmer for as long as you want. min 1 hour.

for me, i've realised the taste is VERY diff between using double boiler and normal pot. when using double boiler, the inner pot's water usually doesn't ever get to a boil but just have to keep checking to water level of the outer pot.

it's really very shiok, no need to add any other seasoning - no pepper, no salt. my hubby who is quite scared of such food finds it really yum too. haha ya he also eating preggie food with me
happy.gif

annlee - opps, sorry missed your post. i am due 9 july but i have a feeling (motherly instinct?) that this little girl will come earlier. quite nervous now. yet excited. first child mah
happy.gif

Wow joy, your dd is really self-motivated! I had a student who loved to do math assessment books by herself and write compos.. Even her mother has to ask her to stop doing..

pinkbunny, do you add water to double boil the black chicken ? Your recipe sounds yummy! got to try it this week..

choc
oops ya sorry, forgot to mention add water :S yup. i usually put 1.5 to 2 soup bowls cos that's exactly how much soup will turn out in the end since it won't evaporate while being double boilig. then just nice for hubby and i to have during our meal plus 1 refill

let me know how it works out!

Hi all mummies and mtb,
wishing all a belated happy mother's day.
was very busy at work and finally time to sneak into the forum.

Joy,
think i will be as stressed as u are.
i believe that most children need to be pushed to study.
but of cos have those like choc's student that actually will do maths assesment book and compo out of own will.
sigh.. think i will have double stress as my in laws will sure side the children and ask them no need to do. i am seeing that when my nieces doing assesement books, my in laws will have comments infront of them like 'do u want to take a break (less than 5mins into starting their work), children nowadays so stressed, dunno will get mental breakdown if give the children so much work etc etc' sigh....

Ann,
i am craving for tiramisu, oreo cheese cake and also lychee martini cake, black forest, choc cake, choc banana cake.... ai yo..... greedy me.
heee... dunno if if ah boy or ah girl... cos we ask gynae not to tell us.
no. 1 we also did the same.
but i have strong feelings that its a girl.. ;)
jia luk... or was it that i am longing for a girl too much....

Huskie,
high five,.. i also prefer awfully choc to jane cake station. heard that choc-a-block is good as well.. have u tried before?
the instant brown rice miso needs cooking or just add water? if just add water, will be useful when travelling.
hee.. my boy also love soup...

Pinkbunny,
u so cute!TAF club. dun worry... my ahboy was ah pui when he was younger... really ah pui type.
but as he gets mobile and active, crawling, walking and now running.... all the baby fats gone.
heee.. and baby bigger will be easier to handle...
are u intending to be sahm?
i admire sahm. really must give up a lot. and sad to say..... i dun think i can be one good sahm now.
if u have instinct that baby might come ely.. better pack yr bags...
my no. 1 was abt 3weeks early.

choc,
i am taking cordecepys, pao sheng, gao li sheng and the usual red dates, wolfberries etc stuff.
heee... my family big fan of luncheon meat with onions, potatos and ketchup...
can advise what do u usually do to keep didi and no. 2 entertained?
have been keeping ah boy away fm childcare due to the hfmd the past 2 weeks. and he is getting restless... need to find ways to 'spend' his energy while he is home.

Lyn,
how's A, B and C doing?
any specific brand of miso that u recommend?
thinking of making miso udon with mushroom for my boy.
happy.gif

Celebrating Birthday in Childcare Center/School
My boy have been receiving of goodies packs as other children will celebrate their birthday with cake and goodie bags. Can i know if its the norm now?
Was thinking of much a cosy celebration at home.... but wondering should i do it at the childcare center also?
need u guys to enlighten.

cookie monster
i've tried choc a bloc! it's good! the fudge cake gives lana's a run for its money and at a fraction of the price. now we get it for every celebration

i LOVE luncheon meat with onions, potatoes and ketchup too!!!!!

sahm - i would love to but have to see if can get transfer to another dept or not in my co. cos i like the co la, and i even like the job, but if it comes to choosing my job and my family, family comes first cos thsi job takes up alot of my after office hours. but giving up my financial freedom and all my tai tai things like facials... dunno how leh hehe (i sound so spoilt hor?)

re - hospital bag, i took the bag out liao and wash the BF gown liao so i've started liao! hehe.

Choc06

You are a teacher?

Today, am quite upset with my gal performance in math. 85 only.Her downfall is her section c,problem sum, section a full marks, b, one mistake....I self blame as I did not prepare her ahead her for the math and she lack the exposure on the trick question...wonder do you have any suggestion how best I can help her....I do not think sending her out for tuition is a solution...I thought of expose her more problem sums but not too confusing as in like some in andrew er book....

Notice her school tested a lot in the concept and question are tricky but numbers are small....guess this time round, I just have to teach ahead and let her practise more or will really be hard press for time like this sa1...

Me too ! I love awfully choc cakes, very yummy ! Recently, my sil has been buying good choc cakes all over singapore.. dunno where she got them.. some muffins, cakes, brownies...

Pinkbunny, I just bought a black chicken from shop n save.. going to double boil it tomorrow. Wow! you are all ready for birth !So exciting ! I'm looking forward to no. 4 and the confinement, my friend says XIAO4!

Cookie, I do different "learning/play" stations with 3 of them. While no.1 is doing work in the study room, no. 2 will be on the internet
eg. www.starfall.com, bob the builder, preschool library etc.. , no. 3 will be in play pen for a while,
then no.1 and 2 will swap places.. most of the time, no. 3 is playing unless I need to cook, he'll be trapped in the pen.
When i let loose the 3 of them, no.3 is automatically the monster and the older 2 will run around to let him catch! The whole house will turn upside down. I have a toy and book corner and a little table for them to play also..
Dd1 and dd2 had small bday parties in their kindy, bought a cake and party bags for the kiddos, seems like a norm to celebrate in school, memorable for them, i guess.

Joy, hee.. was an ex tr, then tutor. Now i think i can't cope with tutoring..
I agree Andrew er has some confusing sums. Have you tried dr Fong Ho Kheong's Heuristics and Model challenging math problems ? I think Popular has them , if not, you can try Math Olympiad book..
Starting from p3 , there'll be more tricky questions, like guess and check methods, heuristic sums and more models.. *GULP*.. I think I'll have no time for that too.. The books come with solutions and with you working hand in hand with her, it'll be better than sending for tuition.

choc
wow #4? kowtow. my #1 not here i'm already panicking! you must really be good at multitasking!

enjoy your black chicken soup!!
happy.gif

Choc06

Thanks....I have both dr fong book but yet to use math olympic book.

One of the question set was mr lim has a pole, he cut into two parts in 1mins, in eight mins, how many equal parts can he cut....answer is not 4 which my daughter written....

hey gals,
Here's my fav Dr. Money column for you to read... very easy to understand layman terms about financial stuff.
This article is interesting... on "How to fight inflation":
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,164027,00.html?

Me, for one, buy housebrand like NTUC's Soymilk. Taste good and creamy, cheap and uses non-GMO soybeans.

The latest article on NTUC's bonus rate cut is also very enlightening if it affects you
happy.gif

Enjoy!

Will catch up the posts tomorrow... very tired after mopping floor twice today! *yawn*

NTUC soy milk - i love it too!!!!! and high calcium! great for preggies!
happy.gif

wow huskie you make me feel very guilty leh. mop the floor twice... these days i have no energy to do anything, much less housework

Hello mummies !

Yesterday, I made pinkbunny's recipe for the black chicken soup with lots of wolfberries, yes, it tasted yummy without salt or seasoning ! I used a meat tenderiser to tok the bones.. Thanks, pbunny !

I'm not good at multi tasking, hee hee, when afternoon comes, i'll be a dead dog
sad.gif
Have to sub out my housework and dinner .
Anymore soup that you cooking to bu ?

Today. making ABC soup and fried rice for lunch..

choc
yay glad you enjoyed the black chicken soup!!! haha so funny the way you put it - to 'sub out' housework.

nah black chicken soup is the only BU soup i'm making. got any more suggestions?

wah ABC soup is shiok!!! i love it too! this weekend, yong tao foo on saturday and prawn noodles on sunday!!! if cheng gong then post up recipe
happy.gif

Choc,
Woah, your black chicken soup sounds yummy!
Yes, I normally "tok" up the chicken, and I use the inverted bowl/strainer method for chicken essence drip. I sort of like the dripped style better compared to double-boiled soup style cos the essence is really dark and tasty with the chicken is all dried up
happy.gif

Hee, is your black chicken from supermarket a male or female?
wink.gif

My mum says must eat the female one cos the male ones are more poisonous... I think she means the male hormones lah. And she says some supermarkets sell male ones.
So I went to wet market and being kiasu, asked uncle for a female black chicken then kenna scolding... uncle said all his chickens are females!
biggrin.gif

pinkbunny,
I heard from 7th month onwards, cordyceps is good cos that's when baby is developing his/her lungs.
My Chinese physician prescribed me cordyceps with pao sheng and gou ji zi to cook with pork.
I remember the founder of this thread, Littlecat, also took cordyceps and her boy has strong lungs.
My baby also has very loud cries... so much so that the nurses were shocked that her voice is so loud considering she is one of the smaller sized babies in the nursery.

annlee,
Hee, your ds2 is soup king?
happy.gif

Then I think he will like the brown rice miso soup... sometimes I bring it out when I feed Soph cos some cafes don't have simple soups.
Found the website for it:
http://www.thebrownriceshop.com/catalogue.html

And oh yes, I read somewhere must eat the oil of the black chicken cos it's nutritious!

cookie,
The brown rice miso soup is instant, so just need to add water.
As for choc cakes, I like the less sweet bitter kind, so Awfully Choc suits me. Jane's is also dark choc, but sweeter. Choc-a-bloc and Lana are more dairy-like, not so dark kind of choc, so I don't like.

Joy,
Yep, I'm on MSN if I'm online. You're on MSN too?

Back