Confinement

ivyquek_84

Hi Mummies, anyone willingly to share how you handle your confinement? Does you all follow the traditional way like (eg. do not wash hair/do not took bath/touch the water etc..)? And does you all use the herbs to wash up your body during confinement?

To me i dont really follow the traditional way due to Singapore's weather. I wash my hair and body with herbs for the first 14days only. After that i just bathe with my regular shampoo and body foam. I always touch the water to wash my hands for hygiene purpose. Who wont touch the water after going to the toilet? Honestly who dont want to be clean lol.

Hello!!

For my case...I really did not bath for like the first 7 days I think...but I'll use a cloth to wipe myself every day & before bf-ing. Also use water to clean our pte parts...cuz with the lochia coming...it's really uncomfortable!!

Subsequent, bathing /hair washing also use the herb to soak the water...then use...

Abt not touching water. This is what I've experience. Of coz every time after go toilet / wash hands before touching bb stuffs / rinsing the handkerchief etc is a must & it's common... But pls rem to dry yr hands immediately!! Cuz even though i do that, but like after a few days I suddenly felt this pain at the joints of my fingers...that's when I really feel scare man. So I think must be I've been touching the water too many a times. so I'd say to take note of this.

Another thing is to either wear socks or bedroom slipper. Cuz the floor is cold & supposedly the "cold air" can go into our body thru our feet.

Attire wise, some mummies will wear long sleeves & long pants. But some will just wear what they feel comfortable in. To me, I think that's more to individual lah..so up to u...

Although it's seems unbearable to go thru this 30-40 days...but it actually pass by very quickly... so don't feel so "sianz" abt this ok... :)

I had a colleague who told me "breastfeeding was so dirty"... in the end I realized that it was because for the 30days after delivery, she really did not let her body touch water at all. So we teased her and said, surely you washed your private parts? Wipe with wet wipes... NO. She said NO. Nothing wet touched her. Okay... of course she was dirty all over. Needless to say, no shower, no washing of hair, etc. And she did not bathe or changed the baby in that one month... sigh... No wonder some people refuse to do confinement and say "mommies smell very bad". Yucks.

So, for all my confinements, I shower at least once a day using the herbal bath. If I had a second shower, it would be using hot water. I try to turn on the aircond, just to 28 or 29 so that I do not sweat, esp when sleeping or breastfeeding. Washing of hands is a must. I did all the bathing and changing for baby, so a lot of washing. My mom said, I shall suffer in my old age. Well, I do not know yet, but I hope not!

I would say, not everyone can tolerate the Chinese way of thinking. You can try if you want. But if you find it untolerable, just go ahead and shower away! A happy (and clean!) mommy is always better than a smelly and sulky mommy, right?

I was just having this confinement topic with my mil yesterday over dinner. And as expected, I was expected to follow the traditional way of chinese confinement. The thought alone makes me feel uncomfortable so I guess I'll only do it the way I believe and is best scientifically proven for my body.

Yes, I agree with frog, a happy mummy at confinement is the best for all! ;)

i was showering, washing hands (how to not wash hands after going to the toilet, change diapers?). i did not use the herbs.

Omg... how not to touch water at all? Impossible!! Like what all said , cant b aft pee/poo u dun wash ur hands?!? Hahaha. Juz ensure its dry lor.. keke.. thou im a ftm but i feel alot of things r like if uthinku can do then do, cant do then dun firce urself todo. Kekeke.

It's true too, not touching of water is not possible. And plus if need to breastfeed your baby, if your body is not clean how to get close with baby too. But of coz as much as possible just don't bath too many times in a day and always dry the hair immediately after wash. Don't think it is possible to withstand the hot weather especially recently the temperature is increasing.

And funny thing is that my mum just discuss with me that cannot turn on the fan during confinement, i was thinking it's crazy, anyway the last 2 confinement i also did it but i just try not to took bath so frequently coz still need to visit hospital too. Don't think want to be so smelly walking in the hospital. :p

It's true too, not touching of water is not possible. And plus if need to breastfeed your baby, if your body is not clean how to get close with baby too. But of coz as much as possible just don't bath too many times in a day and always dry the hair immediately after wash. Don't think it is possible to withstand the hot weather especially recently the temperature is increasing.

And funny thing is that my mum just discuss with me that cannot turn on the fan during confinement, i was thinking it's crazy, anyway the last 2 confinement i also did it but i just try not to took bath so frequently coz still need to visit hospital too. Don't think want to be so smelly walking in the hospital. :p
but v hard to not bathe frequently cos of a. the milk leaking out like crazy when nursing and b. the lochia.. so bloody and smelly :(

Hi ladies,
Realised I’m a bit late to the thread, but just wanted to share my experience doing confinement for the second time (second baby now 1.5 months old).
I hated my confinement the first time because I was told not to shower or wash my hair as much as possible. It got so bad that I started doing my own research on the logic behind why your shouldn’t shower.
Turns out you can... but folks from the older generation prefer to be kiasu.
This time around I washed my hair every single day, with herbal bathwater. Super happy.

I’ve written something about it here: http://confinement-diaries.com/wash-hair-confinement

Do have a look so you can answer confidently that you confirm-chop-plus-stamp won’t tio arthritis or migraine by staying fresh and clean.

Back