Catholic Mothers

Hi Ve and Juliet08,
Thanks for kind words
happy.gif
I finally queued my girl up for the Sept's baptism.. she'd be nearing 8mth old by then! haha.
Ve, why do you need quick and easy access from chest down? I thought it's just water poured over the head?

Hi Lush Velvet,
Im also new to this. There's no site i tink. Can bring babies along... i was so relieved. However this grp is for mothers with children of all ages. I plan to go soon. But im serving notice at wk, so gotta wait till im officially SAHM. I understd ur bb is about 7 mths now, where u staying by the way?

Hi mummies who r interested in the prayer group can call Joyful Parenting Tel: 6488 0286 (Mon - Sat 10am - 5pm) on the locations available.

Lush,
Dun fret cos I've just arranged for my 14mths boy to b baptised this coming wed.
happy.gif

Btw, I'm also a SAHM but staying in Bedok.

Thanks to all for sharing the info.

Looks like we have quite a number of stay home Catholic mummies here, I should be joining you soon after I deliver my no. 3 in Nov
happy.gif
Actually dunno whether to be
happy.gif
or
sad.gif
Hee...

Hi,

I m a Catholic but DH is not.
Had wanted to get DS baptized but had not been able to find a suitable god-parents for him.

How do you decide who is to be the god-parents?

My relatives are too old to be DS's god-parents and my cousins are all Christains, not Catholics. Anyone know where I can get help regarding god-parents?

thanks.

Bin,

U should be happy that God has given u another gift.

Dun worry, if u need anyone to chat wif, can always PM me or just come in to this thread.

aa,

My hubby's also not a Catholic but just to share I just got my son baptised yesterday & his god father is actually my good fren. I din want any of my relatives to be my son's godparent cos sad to say, none of them can set a good example for my boy.

U can approach frens if u can be in constant contact wif them cos the requirements for a god parent is quite strict. Got this fr http://www.catholicdoors.com/courses/godpar.htm

CHOOSING A GODPARENT
29. Now the time has come to choose a godparent. What should the parent be looking for? When it comes to choosing a godparent, there are some who may strongly recommend relatives (including grandparents). Others may recommend a long-term friend. Both choices have their advantages and disadvantages. What is more important is to choose someone who:

29.1 can be trusted to maintain a long term relationship with the child;

29.2 is a practicing Catholic with a deep faith;

29.3 knows Catholic doctrines and understands the Sacrament of Baptism.

29.4 enjoys a prayer life;

29.5 is spiritual in his words and actions;

29.6 is prepared to guide the godchild towards salvation;

29.7 enjoys stability in his life;

29.8 has a high moral character;

29.9 enjoys patience and can relate to a child;

29.10 would be an exemplary model role.

30. While the choice of a good friend as a godparent is appropriate, sometimes friendships come to an end, leaving the godchild without an active godparent. Friends sometimes fade away after having moved to another city or out of the country. There is no guarantee that a friend will be able to maintain a twenty year commitment. While one may be properly disposed today, changes may occur tomorrow because of marriage, employment, health, etc...

31. Many parents choose family members as godparents, their decision being based on a sense of obligation. Some do it as an "exchange." "You be my child's godparent today and I will be your child's godparent tomorrow." Such a way of choosing a godparent frequently results in having a godparent who has little or no faith at all and who does not even belong to a Church.

32. Some people object to choosing a family member as a godparent because family members already enjoy a relationship with the child. They are concerned that the appointment of a relative may obscure their role as a godparent. Contrary to this belief, children who enjoy an aunt or uncle as godparent, they clearly distinguish their godparent from their other aunts and uncles.

33. Some parents, seeking gift-givers, choose godparents who are financially rich, but spiritually poor. Godparents should be spiritually rich, their financial status being unimportant.

34. In choosing a godparent, the parent should review the past of the candidates, their past being a reflection of what can be expected in the future. As a general rule, he who has not gone to Church for five years, he will not change overnight, nor persist in his faith.

Hi,
my son was baptised at 2 mths. The priest only poured the water over his head.

Re baptism gown: The bookshop at novena church sells. But I think the sizes are quite limited. Recall only seeing a few pieces on sale.

Re godparents: God parents should set good example to our children and also be strong in their own faith. Or else how to guide our children rite? For mine, I asked my fren who teaches catechism. Figured he should be quite strong in the faith to guide my boy.

aa,
are you still in contact with your frens from church? Maybe can ask them. Alternatively, if you know of anyone in the church ministries, can approach them for help...

Hi all... Wonder if there is a prayer grp for SAHM Catholic moms near Bedok/marine parade area?
happy.gif
would like to join if there is..

Hi fleur

Hope I could help in time
happy.gif

I'm assuming that the god child is an infant. You may wanna get a crucifix or a pendant bearing the image of our Blessed Mother which the child could wear.

Dear Mummies,
I don't know whether there are still ppl reading this thread. I just want to know your views on termination of pregnancy due to baby's abnormalities. As a catholic, what will you do if u found ur unborn baby has defects?
sad.gif

Hi, is this thread still alive? Want to check if it is possible to have bb baptised if both of us are Catholics but hubby was previously divorced. Was told that our kid cannot be baptised. But I read above that though hb isnt catholic, child can still be baptised? I was told that churches in Australia are more lax about the requirements but I dont want to have to fly all the way there plus hb will be reluctant to do so too.
my lil one is already 14 mts old and deep down, and my family too, we are all sad that the lil one is the only one that is not baptised. This issue gave me a bit of ppd, and now sometimes,I look at my lil one, I feel like I did a disservice. Why is my lil one 'punished' just bcos daddy was previously married?

Hi Lynn,

It seems that you are in quite a situation. Traditionally there can be an issue with getting your child baptized because of your marital status, as the Church does not regard you as married to your husband if he was married Sacramentally. Civil divorce does not sever a sacramental matrimonial bond; thus they would look on the relationship as adulterous, unless there happen to be reasons which would grant a declaration of nullity to first marriage of your husband, meaning the marriage had an impediment from its beginning which made it not valid.

The previous is likely what you will hear when speaking to a priest, as he tries to understand your status and that of your child; also because you are not Sacramentally married (a Catholic who is married civilly, that marriage is not recognized by the Church). The reason being is that Holy Mother Church usually likes to ensure that the children who are baptized are being raised in environment appropriate to the transmission of the faith, and that the parents are exercising their responsibilities as the first catechists of the child. This is also why many parishes will make parents attend a short course before allowing infant baptism in the Archdiocese of Singapore.

Now, all the previous being said, it is not that your child cannot be baptized, but you will likely have to sit down with a priest and discuss the matter thoroughly, some may allow the baptism to go forward, but they will also want to address your marital situation.

Hi Faye,

As a Catholic, nothing could ever justify terminating the life of the baby in womb. In the world, there is often the confused notion between "quality of life" and "sanctity of life", but abnormalities do not reduce the sanctity of the child in the womb, nor does it justify terminating its life.

As Catholics, we believe that life begins at conception, and indeed that is a human life growing. One must be careful not to use subjective reasoning on a child and attempting to pass judgement as to the quality of life of the child, and justifying a hard life as a reason to terminate, or hardship on the parents. The world is full with many souls who have "defects" and "abnormalities", yet lead productive or happy lives; also, there have many times been diagnosis on children in the womb pronouncing defects or abnormalities, and come to find out post-abortion or post-delivery, there was nothing really quite wrong with the child. In all honesty, I would not terminate a child, no matter the circumstance, but would leave it in God's hands, and if the situation was a bit too much to handle during or post pregnancy, I would seek help. Worst comes to worst, I would rather the child be put up for adoption than have his/her life ended.

Hi Faye,

I had been through that situation, where the baby had a very high chance of abnormalities. Both my husband and I decide to keep the baby after we heard a homily during mass the weekend we found out that our baby will be abnormal. We prayed hard and asked the Lord to guide us and leave everything to His will.

Eventually, I had a miscarriage at 16 weeks, the Lord knows how much each of us can handle. He will take care of you if you lift it all up to Him.

God Bless

Hi all, thanks for the advice and encouragement. I have terminated the pregnancy, after 2nd confirmation from MRI result on the defect of baby's brain. It was the most terrible decision I have made in my life. As it was a very rare defect which the gynae only saw 2 cases in her entire career practice, nobody can tell what health complications baby may have until he is born. but certainly he will suffer from some mental disabilities.

Everybody around me told me God has plan for me. Was His plan to make mothers suffer this way? I didn't take the Lord's goodness for granted. everyday I thank Him for this baby, every smooth check up. But after I lost this baby, I lost faith and hope altogether. I nearly lost my mind. Before the MRI was done 1 week after the dianogsis, I kept praying for miracle, that He will heal my baby and result would come out to prove the first diagnosis was wrong. I trusted the Lord but He let me down. Maybe some ppl will say I should have more faith and waited til the baby is born. Sometimes I will think, yea maybe it's my fault for not having enough faith, so I have to suffer this consequences from my action, for the rest of my life. I went to the confession, the priest said there is nothing that God cannot forgive, if i have confess my sins, i am forgiven. But deep inside me, i cannot forgive myself. at the same time, I am angry, confused and felt betrayed, why God puts me to such trial, despite my trust in Him.

Luke 11 says "Would any of you who are fathers give your son a snake when he asks for fish?" But our Father in heaven gave me snake.

I stop going to church, I stop praying. Since God has His plans for us, I will just let Him do anything He wants. There's no need for prayers and petitions since He already has plans, then prayers and petitions will not change anything right?

However, i ask you ladies, pls pray for me. I still do not want to turn away from God. But I'm still grieving, and heartbroken. I dont know how can I regain my faith and trust in Him. I fear that same thing will happen in my next pregnancy, despite my prayers. Thanks for listening.

hi faye, just dropping you a note that i'll be keeping you in my prayers. Please stay strong and i really hope things will get better for you.

Hi Faye,

I'm sorry and sad to hear about your loss and worries. Nobody can judge you. We can give you advices, but the decision is yours.

I will pray for you and your next babies would be healthy as you wanted.

Please, do not lose hope and do not misunderstand the meaning of prayers, or God's intention. Many times we don't get what we need, however justifiable it seems. Many times we suffer. Many times you may feel it's not fair. But please have faith that God is suffering a long with you and looking after you all the times. Sometimes it does not make sense, but faith is something beyond understanding.
He might not have given you a total normal baby should you still decided to keep him, but who knows he might still be your love and joy. I wouldn't want to go further because as a mother, I know you hurt deeply.

His plan may not be the perfect plan for you, and may not be what you wish for, but how would you know if you did not, for once, follow him all the way?
Be strong. God will not forsake you. He will continue to love you, and wait for your return. God bless.

Hi all,

Do you know where I can find catechism class for my kids in central area? All the churches around my place either don't offer catechism classes or full. I contacted since we moved here 3 years ago but didn't get a place. We don't drive and without helper on Sunday so really need to find somewhere not far.
Thanks a lot!

Back