Catholic moms / moms to be

Happy new year ladies!
Woah, water birth? I dont know, not even considered it. Quite popular in Europe but not sure if it has taken off in Singapore. 1Bean, are you considering water birth? There are a lot of videos on Youtube - should you be interested. I have seen a couple during my pregnancy class when I was pregnant with #1.

Hi everyone!
Am new to this thread... A catholic mum expecting her first baby gal on 23 april! Will be delivering at mount A under dr kenneth lee.
Nice meeting all of u here!

Hi Larson..
happy.gif

Hazel, I was thinking about it cause I saw that it was quite calming from the videos online. But I just asked my doc about it on ties and he says that Mt A does have the facilities, but most of the time mum's chicken out in the last min and have the usual del ivy method, and there are many times when the pee n poop comes out too and there isn't anyone there to scope it out so the bby is delivered with things floating around...( I started visualizing giving birth in the toilet bowl for some reason) and the last but most important reason... Cost..

Have any of you started preparing the logistics for the little one? I'm starting to shop around now cause there seems to be quite a bit of sale going on... Most shops are clearing stock cause they are expecting new arrivals soon, but I don't know if it's too early buy things now..

1bean- 15th may 2012
Hazel Tan - 30th July, 2012
Adeline - 21st June, 2012
Petrina - 17th June, 2012
Noelle - 13th June, 2012
Sapphire - 4th June 2012
Larson - 23rd April, 2012
Welen

1bean - hahaahha! You're funny - your visualization of giving birth cracked me up!
happy.gif

Logistics? Erm, not really. I want to know if #2 is a boy or girl first....*lol* My energy levels are really low..shopping is not that attractive for me now

1Bean: water birth is nice.. my friend did it and she was so impressed with the baby's happiness that she became a doula herself!
u have to remove poop n pee first lah.. haha
just like any normal childbirth. so water birth will not have stuffs floating ard
happy.gif

Hi everyone!

1bean, i think its good to get most of the baby stuff settled during the 2nd tri cos when it comes to 3rd tri, think most of us will probably just wanna get more rest as the bb bump gets heavier. esp with cny round the round, we r all going to be busy mummies!!

Am starting to experience pain at the lower back due to the weight.
Glad tat its a fri & looking forward to the weekend!

Petrina - Doc said that even after clearing the bladder and colon, some mum's will have leftovers that come out.. Maybe the warm water helps to make more come out? But I think I better not take the risk, somehow with the pregnancy so far, sometimes I think I'm done, but I'm not ;p

Larson - I was having really bad backaches on and off too, but recently more, so I gave up and was going to get a back massage, but I checked with my Chinese doc and she said that preg women should stay away from massages or tui na. But doing accupunture is ok because only the safe and necessary points will be touched. So I did that yesterday and it really helped. I'm moving and sitting a lot better today. Is yours a boy or girl?

hello am new here! am into my 2nd trimester. anyone attended the nfp sessions? i know they have sessions talking about how to resume charting etc after giving birth, but i dunno when to contact them... stopped going for sessions after i moved parish. anyone has any idea?

Hi rx, welcome n congrats on your little one. You can check out their webiste http://www.cmg.org.sg/resources/?cat=5
I went for a session after the EE course. From what i got out of it is finding out when your ovulation date is and avoid those days if you want to avoid pregency. In terms on how far apart the kids should be, it's more of your preference.

Hi 1 bean,

Good to know that ur back is feeling much better... I just keep reminding myself not to stand or walk around too much .... & it helps a bit... Am Not really a massage person & still thinking if i shd engage those malay message lady after birth... Anyone here will be engaging one?

1bean, mine is a dragon gal. U?

Anyone here have recommendation on where to get forehead thermometer? Heard it is more user friendly than ear thermometer as it is difficult to get them to sit still to take temp.

Wishing everyone a great evening ahead!!!

Welcome rx!! Congrats on ur little bundle of joy!

Btw mummies, am looking for a baby sitter near bendemeer area. Any recommendations, pls do let me know. Tks

Hi Larson,
Mine is a girl too
happy.gif
I plan to get a massage lady for after birth too so I'm sourcing for 1 too. There is one that my friend is using and another that the confinement lady can recommend, both are chinese ladies doing the massage. But will wait n see, a bit early to confirm now since I don't know if it will be natural or c sec.
As for thermometer, the ear one is really fast and more accurate then forehead. So I think it should be ok.

Looks like most of our babies are due close to each other, so it will be hard to pass stuff they outgrow.. But I guess as they get bigger and older, we can exchange toys?. Cause kids get bored fast.

Has anyone attended the pre birth classes at Mt a? Is it useful?

O mums.. If you look through the papers these days the major supermarkets like NTUC, Giant, seng siong etc has CNY sale on baby items that you can buy and stock up.. Bby detergent, detol, hand soap, wet wipes, diapers (maybe too early?), milk powder (if u plan to use) etc. Some are almost 50% off so can stock up esp on the non perishables.

Hi all, has anyone tried aqua aerobics for preg mum? Heard that kk has it, but does anyone know where else? Tks.

Hi Moms!

I'm catholic too. But haven't been going to mass for a long time, just find it so difficult to handle BB there. And the time clashes with either her nap or feeding times.

BB is coming to 14 mths in a few days time.

Am not expecting any currently.

Gave birth in Mt A under Dr Kenneth Lee.

1Bean, I went for the aqua aerobics at KKH. Not bad. It was the only exc that I did during my pregnancy. Only thing is, if there are more than 6 ppl, the pool gets pretty congested lor. Quite a small pool. But its indoor and heated - this, I like.

Hi sheepysheeps. Tks. Good to know. Am thinking of joining the YMCA one cause its easier to get there. but we'll see.
I check out Dr Kenneth Lee before Dr Ho too, but because its hard to reach him and his clinic hours are so short, I decided to go to Dr Ho instead. (Dr Lee is the only catholic gyn at Mt A)
Since your daughter is almost 2, it will be good to start going back to church, to get her used to it. Some churches have toddler classes for 3yr - 5 yr olds. It's quite cute and seems fun (cause they have miniature church items ie chalice etc and they do crafts too)

Hello all! and welcome to the new mummies!

Its been rather quiet on my end - I have been in and out of hospital: severe dehydration. Since the start of pregnancy, I've lost 4.5 kg (happy in a way, but guess all the lost kilos will come back to haunt me once I start eating normally)...*haha*

Think I've started 2nd trimester - so things are looking up! Nausea is now kept at bay with medication etc
happy.gif

Aqua aerobics - when can we do it? I am keen!! Who's interested?
happy.gif

And here's wishing all of you Gong Hei Fatt Choy! (a bit early but with all the CNY buzz around - it's not too early! )

Hi mummies!!

Wishing all a smooth sailing year ahead! Hapie water dragon year!

Hi sheepy sheep, seems like we are under the same gynae, dr kenneth lee! I find him a funny guy!

Hi Hazel, sorry to hear your ms was/is so bad.. You might want to try n see what helps.. Salty /sweet/sour/ ginger etc.. For me i found that Ribena sweets and super sweet ribena helpped with my ms.. Nothing else worked. But when it came to fish n pork smell all hell would break loose. Nothing would help. My ms stopped around 20 weeks.. It's amazing. Just woke up one day and felt like I wasn't preg. Energy level up, no pain, no ms, no puking when I brush my teeth etc, could even walk for over 2 hrs etc. So hang in there.. Drink lots of water.

For the aqua aerobics I found 2, which would u prefer? http://www.inspiremumbaby.com/inspiremumdetails.asp?no=103
http://www.kkh.com.sg/EducationAndTraining/Documents/Aquafitness%20in%20pregnancy.pdf

Happy CNY to everyone here!!

Gong Hei Fatt Choy mummies!

Here's wishing all of you good health, an enjoyable pregnancy and a safe & smooth delivery this dragon year
happy.gif

1bean, I prefer Sat morning - around 11plus.....Inspiremumbaby's timing is not that ideal as I am working
sad.gif
KKH sat 1pm is the next best alternative......What about you? Reckon we can get 5 people to have a private class? Any other ladies keen on aqua aerobics?

Hi Hazel, sat morning works for me too. I'm helping the Cat class in the afternoons.. I'm considering between aqua aerobics and pilates.

Hi Larson,

Ya, Dr Lee is quite humorous. I like his easy nature.

And best is he's not pushy and makes me feel at ease lor.

Hi 1Bean, BB just pass her 14mths lor. Still cannot sit still and cannot take instructions well... The church we attend don't hv those classes during mass time. It's at a separate timing lor. So BB got to be with us through mass which I find so distracting.

<font color="0077aa">hi mummies, i went for the aquafitness class at kkh during my 1st preg. have already signed up for the feb class for current preg. if u are really keen, must call to check for vacancies now cos each month they only take in max 2 x 6 participants.</font>

Hi sheepysheeps, is she going through the terrible 2s? I used to take the kid I was babysitting to church and it was tougher when he was going through that phase.. But I taught him the common and easy songs ie alleluia, our father. Of course he could not sing the whole thing, but he caught some words here n there and would sing the parts he knows. But this meant singing them to him when we were not at church, best time was when we were in the car..cause he's "trapped" heehee.. After introducing him to alphabets and words I used the books and pointed to the words used in mass and later made him point to the words.. But ya, he wasn't always that perfect throughout the mass and noticed that it depended on his mood on that day too, but at least there were some good times and it got better as he got older.

Sapphire, tks for the advice. For now I'm still swimming when I can so might want to try palates cause I'm starting having leaking problems here n there n I read that it helps.

hihi everyone!! my first time on a forum
happy.gif

i have a little boy, just turned one. and expecting another baby, in second tri now!

i have been doing pilates for many years and did prenatal pilates at Options Studio in Somerset during first pregnancy. Find that it helped with natural delivery and just general core strength.

will prob start pilates again soon but don't mind trying aqua aerobics too! except i think the schedule clashes... the prenatal class at Options is on Sat at 12noon. will check back in to see if you ladies are starting any private aqua classes
happy.gif

Hi, Just called Options Studio. It's $450/10 sessions or $800/20 sessions. Can use for pre-natal and post-natal. The classes are really small... like 1-4 people. I just signed up for this Saturday 12pm class. Hope to see some of you there!

Hi all,

my first time on this forum. This is my first pregnacy and am still struggling with the first tri. Feeling really bad MS everyday and the bitter taste in the mouth is making me feel worst. Half the time I am not sure if i am hungry or feeling sick...

I am also interested in the Options Studio pilate classes. When can we start going for these classes? Must I wait till 2nd tri?

Hi Maryanne, tks for the info.. I can't make it this weekend.. Got retreat at Holy Spirit to learn about children's Eucharistic adoration for the Cat class and it's quite 'chor' for me cause I'm not working for now.
While researching about bby carriers, I found this place if anyone is interested.. http://www.babyslingsandcarriers.com/
Anyone tried using the Beco butterfly? What's your take?

Welcome Ariadne.. What MS are you experiencing? My MS only got worse towards the end of the first tri but thank goodness it went away near my 5th mth.I just woke up one day and felt "normal" prepreg condition in terms of energy level, food, appetite, smell etc.. So hang in there.. If you are throwing up, just make sure you stay hydrated and don't loose too much weight. I'm now into my 6th mth and I think the bby had a growth spurt. Was tired and achy for a few days and woke up one morning to find tummy has grown. It's such an interesting experience.

@ sheepysheeps - I guess that's where being a parent and working on virtues such perseverance and patience comes in..
happy.gif
Jia you!!

Thank you 1bean for your warm welcome.

My MS can be pretty bad. Basically, I am nausea all the time and also hungry. It is like a mixed of both. I feel hungry and if I do not eat soon, I will puke... but then when food in front of me, I do not have the appetite. So I am like stuck in the middle!

I was hoping that this will all pass by 14 weeks... do you mean it can last longer?

Hi everyone! Is it true that the Catholic churches here in Singapore now require our babies to be named after a saint? My friend is about to have her daughter baptised next month and she's having this dilemma.

Hi Ariadne, the MS lasts and varies for each person and each pregnancy. Mine is similar to yours, but I had a few more.. When I brush or floss my teeth, i'd puke. Fish smell and stuffy places also made me puke. But, I noticed if I suck on the ribena sweet it sometimes helps. Other sweets didn't work for me. oh yes, I also had bad case of bloatedness, so I looked like a balloon and sounded like a drum when I pat my belly. Just hang in there
happy.gif

Sardonyx, not true that bbies have to be named after saints. They can decide to add or not add during confirmation too.

Hi 1Bean, I also gagged and want to throw up when I brush or floss my teeth. Cannot stand the taste of the toothpaste! I can still stand fish at this moment. I tried drinking ribena. It makes me feel better for a while but also make me feels hungry. I am always hungry, and when I am hungry I feel pukey. So I have to try to eat a lot. So I am either bloated or nausea....

I really hope this phase will pass soon. Will be having my scan tomorrow morning and hope to see/hear bb hb.
happy.gif

Ariadne, mine was similar. So learnt to eat small meals or snack all day long, sweet stuff worked better for me, so I made super sweet ribena to drink, but I used the carbonated water instead cause plain water also made me puky. Poor hubby had to buy big bottles of carbonated water for me and we don't have a car. :p

For all, there is a workshop at Holy Spirit Church on 11th and 12th feb on Eucahristic adoration for children. Quite interesting. Learning how to introduce children to God. Can come check it out tomorrow 12th feb 12-5pm.

Hi Mummies,

I would like to let go my medela freestyle breast pump set, kindly pm me if you are keen. Condition is good and local warranty until oct 2012.

Thank you
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

I heard that it's not good to eat durians during pregnancy, wonder if it is true. I have been craving for durians
sad.gif
A friend told me not to drink cold stuff too, it's not good for babies' lungs. Aiyo, all of these are my favourites... Anyway I have been reading the Bible, believe that my little one will hear it
happy.gif

Do you alll face any difficulties in buying pretty maternity clothes? I dun quite like the designs in the shops and they are ex! I came across this website and bought a number of maternity wear. Quite like their designs (hehe.. prettier and cheaper) and the service is good too. Will like to share with you ladies, hope it benefits you
happy.gif

http://*********/

Hi hu1j13,
i totally agree with you!! luckily my fren passed me some of her clothes to last me for the last trimester.. hahaah

You may wish to check out this website : http://www.asos.com/Women/
Their international shipping is free. I bought a black baby doll dress and most importantly, it can still be worn after my little gal pop. Hope you find something nice ....

Cold drinks, i try to avoid if i can but i guess if it is only once in a while it should be fine... i checked with my gynae and he everything also say ok so long as it is in moderation.. haahahah

Any mummies experiencing backaches? Mine has been getting from bad to worse especially in the morning when i got up from bed...
sad.gif

Hi Larson, your due date is coming soon huh?! Excited and set? I was having backaches too. Noticed that it happens when i get up after laying on my back ( to the point I have to roll out of bed) I've been trying to sleep on my sides and i think it helps.
@ hu1j13 I ate durian here n there, basically I ate normally. Maybe with Lent coming up I'll have to give something up.. Hmmm..wonder if there's any exceptions for preg women for Lent.
happy.gif

Other mums- have u all decided on your bb's names yet?

Hi 1Bean,

I have with me now the Infant Baptism Form with Guidelines, and it explicitly emphasizes that the child should be named after a saint.

Ariadne - For pilates class, yup should wait until second tri before starting. I just turned 16 weeks. I am having aches and since cannot go for massage yet (until 6 months), I think pilates helps cos at least you are stretching and stuff. I enjoy my class alot
happy.gif

Sardonyx - My first child is called Cameron. The priest asked me whether it's a saint's name. I said I dunno... (on google, also not sure... like unknown saint) But he said nevermind, maybe he will be the first St Cameron! So I think they are not so strict...

hu1j13 - I also ate durian quite regularly cos husband loves durian. But one day almost due, I had durian and coconut for dinner. then go home and waterbag burst that night! haha. have you ladies heard that you should drink coconut juice in the last month of pregnancy? the baby will come out "cleaner". I think it worked, so will do it this time too
happy.gif

But I think it really depends on the priest. What if the priest happens to be the strict type? So for the baby's name, birth certificate would be in conflict with the baptismal certificate?

Hi Sardonyx, I agree with Maryanne, I think it depends on the priest and most of the time its not compulsory, just recommended, so that the child can have a patron saint.
But in regards to the names not matching, as long as the birth cert name is in the baptismal cert I think its ok, with or without the addition of the baptism name. My birth cert name did not have my baptism name, but later on when I got my IC, they asked if I wanted to include the baptism name and which order I want it to be. So I think don't have to worry too much. Also, some people only get baptized when they are adults, so I don't think there's a big issue with that.

Back