Breech baby

arwenstar

Hi I'm almost 29 weeks pregnant. My gynae says the bb is breech and told me to prop my hips with pillow every night for 10 mins. Is this a cause for concern? Does it mean my bb has developmental problem? V worried now..

Hi I'm almost 29 weeks pregnant. My gynae says the bb is breech and told me to prop my hips with pillow every night for 10 mins. Is this a cause for concern? Does it mean my bb has developmental problem? V worried now..

no breech means baby backside is down instead of head down. if head not down just need to use c-sect to give birth. cannot push out baby naturally because baby is in wrong position.

Hi arwenstar

Breech meaning the baby's position is head up and legs down. There isn't any developmental concern unless there isn't sufficient space for her to grow. I believe the reason your gynae wants you to prop your hips with pillow is that she/he wants the baby to switch her position before reaching 30 plus week.

If baby is still in breech position by 34 week, it is highly unlikely for baby to switch position, and would requires c-sec at 38 weeks (i.e. according to our gyane).

In the older days, there are methods to push the baby position from breech to normal head down position but it is no longer in practice.

Do not worry too much, as my wife just gave birth to our LO last friday. She was in a breech position since 30 plus week, and she is healthy.

hihi arwenstar..

My baby is at kind of horizontal position since Oscar scan week 12 till now week 29.. I dunnoe why she just love this position ah.. so as i look down my tummy, my "V" is at 12pm... her head is at 9pm, legs at 2pm.. my last week's check up, gynae said yes some at my current week 28+ may engaged head down but im still too early to worry. ask me by week 36, if baby still not engaged down, the so called worst solution is C-sec.. but there isn't risk nor development worries.. My only headache now is sleeping time, i sleep left side maybe pressed her head she turn non stop, i sleep right side, her legs kick non stop.. .only when im on my back she will feel more shiok but im not shiok with the breathless feel... also got more cramps coz of this funny position & her kicks / punch / somersault but still gynae assured is fine.. so Mummy dun too stress ok?

Breech position does not relate to baby's developmental issues per se. Docs usually concern only bcoz usually baby's head shld come first & docs can quickly deliver & clean baby so baby won't be choked with mummy's fluid or worst legs pull out first & head still stuck inside. Baby when ready to birth will be disengaged with mummy's placenta & hv no direct feeding or oxygen fr mum. The longer the head stays in, imagine how we gasps for our breathe, that's the concern of oxygen deprivation & baby's brain no supply of oxygen .... more dangerous!

So, docs usually standby c-section op & work very fast.

Btw, prepare ask doc to standby a thermal blanket. I had c-section & was trembling bcoz Mt E ran out of thermal blanket & nurses stacked 7/8 layers of usual blanket but I was still shivering. My baby turn out well & today a very active & smart chap.

All the best to all new mummies!

Back