Been discriminated while pregnant

@Jel1992, maybe your ex-boss does not want you to change department just for the sake of it. Guess he is more concern about your career progression. Why not just take a moment to plan what you wish to do (in terms of career) after delivery
Thanks @tinkyberz. Now I'm at a very new environment however I'm feeling useless because basically I have nothing much to do. I do not know what I have done to deserve this. Haiz.. I know I need to transfer or change job but the other side of me just feel so unfair as what team has now is partly due to my effort

Thanks @tinkyberz. Now I'm at a very new environment however I'm feeling useless because basically I have nothing much to do. I do not know what I have done to deserve this. Haiz.. I know I need to transfer or change job but the other side of me just feel so unfair as what team has now is partly due to my effort

Well, just remember that "No one is indispensable". This is a cruel society, where most people just care about climbing up the cooperate ladder. Unless we are lucky to have an understanding boss, else, our rice bowl will be gone any time.

Just treat it as a break and take good care of yourself. You are kinda lucky that they play such tricks openly, else being in the unknown is really scary. Though, the uncertainties of the future is also unknown. We at the lower level won't gain much recognition unless our boss bring us up to the limelight, so whatever effort you have put in the past are mostly your boss's credit. I had a PRC boss in the past who took all credits for herself and talking bad about her own team members.

Nonetheless, now your priority is your LO. So take good care of yourself

@tinkyberz is right, no one is indispensable.

on the other hand, there are other jobs and companies waiting for u too.

so, chin up. ditch the sadness. think of this as an extended maternity leave. u got nothing much to do, so got time to prepare for the arrival of little one and rest, and u r still being paid.

Hi Jel,
Sorry to hear that. However I believe that this should not be affecting you and your baby. Keeping yourself happy and relax is very important. I think one of the reason you are so pessimistic is because you are very worried and concern.

Why not give yourself an opportunity to do something else?

Hi Jel,
Sorry to hear that. However I believe that this should not be affecting you and your baby. Keeping yourself happy and relax is very important. I think one of the reason you are so pessimistic is because you are very worried and concern.

Why not give yourself an opportunity to do something else?

ya I agree with Yan Qiu. coz happiness and health is most important

Hi sabbykoh82,
Thanks for agreeing with me. We can’t control how people think and what they do. But we have a choice to do what we want and how we want to do it.

Hi Sabbykoh82,

Thanks for agreeing with me. We cant actually control how people think and their decision. However we have a choice to make ourself happier by looking at things differently instead of guessing what other people is thinking...

this is exactly how i'm feeling these days! feel useless, feel like a jiak liao bee, feel completely different from how i was before preg. even colleagues commented that i seem a bit out of sorts these days. but what to do, everyone just tells me to take it easy and concentrate on my pregnancy. i'm no longer kept in the loop for most matters and everyday i just come to work waiting for 6pm to come. i'm still not used to feeling this way, but thankfully i'm just one mth away from my maternity leave, so just gonna bite the bullet and come back stronger after ML :)

i guess it must be really tough for you right now as how it was for me few mths back.. but look fwd to welcoming your little bundle of joy, and i'm sure it'll make things much easier. i spend my time researching on baby stuff, and time definitely passed much quicker for me. jiayou fellow mummy!! we'll get through this for sure :)

@p_eppermint Hi, however your scenario is totally different from mine. At least you know that when you go back to the office after ML, you can come back stronger. For my case, I will need to seek internal transfer or out I will go which mean to say everything is full of uncertainty now. Recently, my previous boss told me that I will reporting to a new Boss even though I am still under her headcount. So for my leave to go for my medical checkup, I asked the new boss that I am supposed to report to and he had given me the green light. So on the day when I went for medical checkup, she asked me if I had informed her so I told her that I thought that I report to the new Boss instead. Immediately the next day, she sent me an email as a form of warning and told me that she is my direct line manager and I am only helping out in the new department. I've spoken to the Boss of the new department and he told me that he had told her to give me some time and space as what happened are too overwhelming for me and he told me to do what she want to avoid her from making a big fuss again. I was so disappointed with all the things that my previous Boss had done to me and before she become my Boss, I treat her as my friend and we were on a very good terms. :(

@tinkyberz is right, no one is indispensable.

on the other hand, there are other jobs and companies waiting for u too.

so, chin up. ditch the sadness. think of this as an extended maternity leave. u got nothing much to do, so got time to prepare for the arrival of little one and rest, and u r still being paid.
thanks alot @tinkyberz for your encouragement. I try not to think of it it's pretty hard

Now my boss seems to be picking on me to the extend of giving me an email as a form of warning because I had asked "my current reporting boss" consent as she told I will report to him. In fact, the people in the department where I am now has been treating me very well and I hope that I can continue to work with this boss as he's really very understanding and encouragingaid

Right now, I'm afraid that my boss sending me the email might jeopardize my chances to be continue working in my current department after my maternity =(

thanks alot @tinkyberz for your encouragement. I try not to think of it it's pretty hard

Now my boss seems to be picking on me to the extend of giving me an email as a form of warning because I had asked "my current reporting boss" consent as she told I will report to him. In fact, the people in the department where I am now has been treating me very well and I hope that I can continue to work with this boss as he's really very understanding and encouragingaid

Right now, I'm afraid that my boss sending me the email might jeopardize my chances to be continue working in my current department after my maternity =(

:mad::mad: it is so unfair how you are being treated. Govt still wants us to have more babies?? Is this the way to encourage us?? You have my support and encouragement in this tough time u are going thru..

:mad::mad: it is so unfair how you are being treated. Govt still wants us to have more babies?? Is this the way to encourage us?? You have my support and encouragement in this tough time u are going thru..
@lindang33 thanks alot. That's exactly what my parents said... I try to think positively but it's hard because it's my ricebowl and I'm going to deliver soon which mean to say that I will be jobless soon too

@Jel1992 , Just be positive. babies are a blessing for us. No one can guarantee what lies ahead of us, we just have to let nature takes it course. 是福不是祸 是祸躲不过. this is life, we just have to live with it and find the best way out of it. All these obstacles make us stronger. regardless of what will happen after maternity, i believe that a better door will be open for you

@lindang33, govt can only encourage. but companies are still made up of all kinds of people, that culture or the people's mindset is the one that is toxic. Unless we are in the government body, other wise such issue will still be happening in the private sector. Our employee welfare body is very weak, unable to fight for us.

Really feel so angry for you but hang in there! No matter what, do try to stay positive for the sake of yourself and the baby. I always believe that everything happens for a reason, and who knows maybe a greater opportunity is coming your way... :)

Has anyone encountered this before? My boss extended my probation and keep insisting my performance is poor after I informed him about my pregnancy.

Has anyone encountered this before? My boss extended my probation and keep insisting my performance is poor after I informed him about my pregnancy.

How many months of probation do you have in the first place?
Sometimes due to bad performance, one may extend probation period.
But of course, maybe due to your pregnancy that your boss extend as well.
If so, he may try to make things difficult for you, so that you will resign yourself.
Well, suggest to find another job since you are under probation also.

@Mummu I'm in the midst of job hunt because all the bosses want me to leave after that. After my delivery, they did not send any hamper at all and no regards from them and in fact, my direct line manager restrict my access to view her Facebook page. Just hang on there because that's what I did and I hope everything will be fine soon.

How many months of probation do you have in the first place?
Sometimes due to bad performance, one may extend probation period.
But of course, maybe due to your pregnancy that your boss extend as well.
If so, he may try to make things difficult for you, so that you will resign yourself.
Well, suggest to find another job since you are under probation also.

I got no problem with my boss at the beginning. He jokingly told me my probation will passed automatically and not to worry.
But after I told him about my pregnancy, his attitude changed. Gave me hard times and criticized me. After he criticizes me, he mentioned he has been very kind to me as he still gave me chances. He also mentioned he used to fire whole team of ppl previously.
Now, my probation is extended. Days ago, he was screaming at me and said he would literally killed the person if the person distract him from achieving his goal. I don think I can pass another probation which is in one month time.

I got no problem with my boss at the beginning. He jokingly told me my probation will passed automatically and not to worry.
But after I told him about my pregnancy, his attitude changed. Gave me hard times and criticized me. After he criticizes me, he mentioned he has been very kind to me as he still gave me chances. He also mentioned he used to fire whole team of ppl previously.
Now, my probation is extended. Days ago, he was screaming at me and said he would literally killed the person if the person distract him from achieving his goal. I don think I can pass another probation which is in one month time.

Then looks like he's really trying to make you leave...
Such cases reported to MOM also no point... Suggest to find another job at the mean time...

Your probabtion is 3 months right?
Meaning when you take up this job, you are already pregnant?
And you didn't inform your boss?
I think that's the reason he's being unhappy....

Your probabtion is 3 months right?
Meaning when you take up this job, you are already pregnant?
And you didn't inform your boss?
I think that's the reason he's being unhappy....

I did inform him. I found out about my pregnancy not long after I join.

Hi anyone encounter boss indirectly hinting you to resign after maternity leave?
Me!! And ask me to revert if i will return to work after ml. After consultation with friends, i said that yes i will return. Upon return 2 work, they made things difficult for me anyway & i quitted 2 mths thereafter. Now a sahm.

Just sharing my experience:
I found out i was preggy while serving my notice in company A. So on day 1 of work in company B, i told my new co abt my pregnancy honestly and if they still want me..& they said okay, np to continue.

6 mths passed for my probation & i didnt hear anything. Life was not easy but i keep telling myself to hang on, just be happy for sake of bb & if they do terminate a preggy lady, it is harder to explain to mom if i complain (By law this means deemed confirmed). Hwr just b4 i was gg for my ML, they suddenly want to do confirmation appraisal & told me i not performing to expectations. They asked me if i want to return to company or resign after ml. I tried to avoid any reply as dont think i m obligated to commit. In fact i called mom to ask if it is right for company to demand such, they said to check with them the purpose. Anyway i just told them yes i am returning to work...they even withheld my bonus as it was only for confirmed staff. I told them, by law, if u dun make communucation prior probation is up, isnt a staff deemed confirmed. They paid me my bonus 1 mth later than rest of staff.

After ml and i returned to work. They made every things difficult for me..picking at everything .eg chasing me timeline for every projects (whilst other colleagues with other project - no timeline required but keep asking me to chip in to help at last min basis and when i asked for her planned timelines, everyone incl boss kept quiet). I endured and alas they said "oh well, wat projects are on your plate now, and they are not enough to justify my level."(Hello i was only 2+ mth back and how can co assess job level based on current project and ignored everything else done begining of year?). When i asked for specific eg i fell short of expectations, my boss said she forgot the case.

Anyway to cut story short, i resigned finally after 2+ mths. Now taking a career break.

We have a long time to work but kiddo only grow up once..he is only so young once. So i constantly remind myself to keep my spirit up & retribution will befall such bosses, whether themselves or child.

Writing this cos it sadden me to see some of ur posts. Dont be suicidal cos of work or stupid bosses. They are not worth it. Only ur child is worth it and i m glad i have a cheerful boy.

Can your employee force you to change your role (to a contract staff) or downgrade to a junior role during your probation period and while you are pregnant?

As many have said here - this is the unfortunate reality. I hope you find time to focus on your baby in these difficult times.

As others have said, you should contact MOM to see what you can do. Think about them, and determine if they're in your favour.

@Jel1992, hope you and family are well during this CB period. In the earlier post it is mentioned that the company said will terminate you when u are back from maternity leave. Do they have a choice to sack before you got maternity leave with PIP as the reason?

Back