Baby drinking less breast milk than I'm producing

Baby_mmmmm

Not sure if I'm paranoid, but I alternate between latching and expressing. Each time I express is approximately 200+ml, but baby only drinks about 90ml from the bottle each time.

Since I don't exclusively latch, I have a lot of stored milk. Is this correct or am I stimulating too much by pumping? Baby is only 5 weeks old and I have 40 bags of expressed milk already. Help!

Some mummies are blessed with more milk. Don't paranoid. You can store it in freezer and carrying on feeding your baby.

I have friends who can stored up a 6 mths of BM so keep it up. Jiayou!

Thanks for your reassuring response! Cuz sometimes when baby latches he sputters, milk dribbles out from the side of his mouth and sometimes he rejects so I'm suspecting the flow is too fast hence the paranoia.

Thanks again!

You are blessed with abundance of breastmilk! If you find your freezer doesn't have enough space you can bless others with your frozen milk. There's a Facebook group Human milk for human babies that helps to post offers to mummies who required breast milk for their babies. :)

Well, you can express lesser. As you tune down, your body will adjust accordingly. If you want to help with engorgement, use some cabbage leave after expressing. Also, your baby might be drinking less from the bottle because it is not so "shiok" lah... But do try to give baby at least one feed a day from the bottle. This will help them get used to bottle, for when you go back to work, etc. My thinking is this... producing breastmilk takes up the mommies body's resources. Why produce so much? So, just tune your body accordingly, produce just a bit more... even at a packet extra a day, you will have 30 packets a month - storage problem!!

Back