Baby is not drinking formula milk. Need urgent help...

WorriedDad83

Hi everyone, first time posting here. Hope to get advice from experienced mummies on my problem. My daughter is 8 months old and besides the first few month drinking a bit of FM to bring down her jaundice, has always been exclusively drinking expressed BM. My wife is thinking of stopping pumping BM as it is taking a toll on her and she will be starting her new job soon so we have been trying to get her to drink FM but to no avail. We would try in the morning when she wakes up for her first feed but it would just be around 40-60ml. The most she ever drank was 90 ml of FM. So far I have tried various dilution methods and she seems to accept 160ml with one scoop of FM but its still only for about 40-60ml at most. This morning i tried to not dilute so much (140ml with one scoop) and she refused to drink despite sleeping for 12 hours. Anyone can advise me on this? I would be very grateful for any help

Milk additives: Adding cereal, oils or carbohydrates to the formula or increasing the concentration of the milk will increase the energy content of the milk. High energy feeds often result in a baby taking smaller volumes. Solids given before bottle feeds can decrease a baby's appetite for milk. Too much solid foods

Hi everyone, first time posting here. Hope to get advice from experienced mummies on my problem. My daughter is 8 months old and besides the first few month drinking a bit of FM to bring down her jaundice, has always been exclusively drinking expressed BM. My wife is thinking of stopping pumping BM as it is taking a toll on her and she will be starting her new job soon so we have been trying to get her to drink FM but to no avail. We would try in the morning when she wakes up for her first feed but it would just be around 40-60ml. The most she ever drank was 90 ml of FM. So far I have tried various dilution methods and she seems to accept 160ml with one scoop of FM but its still only for about 40-60ml at most. This morning i tried to not dilute so much (140ml with one scoop) and she refused to drink despite sleeping for 12 hours. Anyone can advise me on this? I would be very grateful for any help
Hi, which brand of FM are you using? From what I understand, trying different brands until you find the one she accepts works. You have to swap one bottle of BM with one bottle of FM and slowly increase the bottles of FM over time.

My bb was like that when he was 3-4months old. Hopefully ur wife still can continue to pump/latch while bb transits to fm.
The first thing I did was to change the brand of fm. You may consider nan or enfamil.
Next, try to feed ur bb in a quiet and dark environment. If still cannot, u may try dream feeding the bb (start before her nap time and when she sleeps, try feeding more).
Your bb is already 8 months old, can eat more solids to get good nutrition. if she is of a gd weight, 500ml of fm per day should suffice.
Jiayou~

Hi, which brand of FM are you using? From what I understand, trying different brands until you find the one she accepts works. You have to swap one bottle of BM with one bottle of FM and slowly increase the bottles of FM over time.
Hi thanks for your help. I am using Nan Pro. So far i am feeding her for her first feed of the day while the rest are BM. Yesterday she had 90 ml of FM while today it was 80. However, it was done over several feeds to hit that mark instead of one smooth session.

My bb was like that when he was 3-4months old. Hopefully ur wife still can continue to pump/latch while bb transits to fm.
The first thing I did was to change the brand of fm. You may consider nan or enfamil.
Next, try to feed ur bb in a quiet and dark environment. If still cannot, u may try dream feeding the bb (start before her nap time and when she sleeps, try feeding more).
Your bb is already 8 months old, can eat more solids to get good nutrition. if she is of a gd weight, 500ml of fm per day should suffice.
Jiayou~
Hi thanks for the reply. I am using Nan Pro and from tasting it and the BM i have come up with the dilution of 150ml of water with one scoop of Nan Pro to make it come close in taste to BM. She eats solids very well. However she averages about 300-400 plus ml in milk a day(BM+FM). Her weight is around 7.5kg at 8 months and two weeks old. I am feeding first thing in the morning when she wakes up thinking that after so many hours of sleep she would be hungry enough to accept the FM readily.

Hi thanks for the reply. I am using Nan Pro and from tasting it and the BM i have come up with the dilution of 150ml of water with one scoop of Nan Pro to make it come close in taste to BM. She eats solids very well. However she averages about 300-400 plus ml in milk a day(BM+FM). Her weight is around 7.5kg at 8 months and two weeks old. I am feeding first thing in the morning when she wakes up thinking that after so many hours of sleep she would be hungry enough to accept the FM readily.
Her weight seems ok. :)

Back